Beyond: Two Souls is Almost Beyond Belief

Beyond: Two Souls is Almost Beyond Belief

David Cage's cinematic experience pushes the boundaries of how we define "play."

Read Full Article

It's more like David Cage's cinematic experience pushes the play button to watch a movie.

All I saw was rendered cut scenes from the look of it. Graphics looked too good even for the PS3.

Uhhhhh... it may be time for David Cage to just pack up and go to Hollywood. He had something going with Indigo Prophecy, but it ain't on display here.

Is this still the same game?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10406-Beyond-Two-Souls-is-Almost-Beyond-Belief?
I mean I'm all for tough girls but she's supposed to have a freakin ghost.

I can press play and pause on my dvd, therefore my dvd is a gaming platform considering what David Cage is putting out there as a game.

lacktheknack:
Uhhhhh... it may be time for David Cage to just pack up and go to Hollywood. He had something going with Indigo Prophecy, but it ain't on display here.

I'm thinking David Cage is really trying to say:

In the story that is life, little did we know that the movies were the video games all this time!

DUNT! DUNT! DUNN! =P.

But yeah, I really do think the guy really wants to make just movies, but nobody in Hollywood will back him. So he is resorting to making "video games".

Guys, remember - The Walking Dead adventure game (while I'll remind you had very few polygons) had the same model of QTEs and dialogue choices only for gameplay and turned out great - I understand that the main issue with Heavy Rain is that David Cage did the writing and doesn't seem to be a very good writer. There's no reason that this model CAN'T work, but if a game is going to hold up entirely by its story, characters and writing, all of those things need to be great. High end graphics get less impressive the closer their application is to a movie-movies will always look better.

I've been pretty excited for this since it was announced, and have followed it during 2013. That being said, I had no idea there would ever have been a Middle-Eastern warzone, Call of Duty thing going on. That just kinda blows me away, not sure how I feel about this. Seems rather silly.

Will get it anyway. Love all the actors involved, I liked Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy, but that's a weird angle for this game in my opinion.

I agree, this guy should just make movies. His stories are legit but I don't play games to watch stories. This is why I left such franchises as Final Fantasy and Metal Gear.

If it weren't for David Cage lamenting about polygons, this would look interesting if I knew more about the gameplay.

sony funds an experiment

I'm on board with the sequences-play; Beyond: Two Souls challenges our traditional concepts of narrative. Of course, you can avoid it if you'd like, and you can even complain by not buying it.

Sorry, but I just can't buy Ellen Page as being a bad-ass Secret Agent. It'd be like if they made an action movie and got Clay Aiken to play a Navy SEAL.

Fucking around =/= innovation.

What does this challenge? What's new about the way it tries to tell its story, and how does that change the story in any way? Even if this is good, the whole vocabulary of artsy bullshit around Cage's games is absurdly complimentary for what amounts to removing the things that actually do make the medium of games unique instead of taking advantage of them.

ALL the polygons!

Truly this is the ultimate gaming experience!

It would seem that David Cage will not rest until all unnecessary button pressing is removed entirely from games. After all, who wants all that time consuming choice and freedom? Soon there will be a single unified button, just one button, that all gamers shall press to begin the ultimate in interactive experiences!

Behold, the only button you'll ever need!

Slavery is freedom.

I'm looking forward to this so much

liam_whinery:
I agree, this guy should just make movies. His stories are legit...

This is the greatest untruth of all. His stories are absolutely terrible, did you ever play Heavy Rain? Or Fahrenheit? It's pretty much universally accepted that he is an absolute crud writer. The reason why Heavy Rain was good enough to get an 'it's not bad' from Yahtzee is purely on the strength of it's control system and how it builds connections with what you are doing. It really is that good. He has stories where every other person turns out to be a psychopath and long scenes where ladies strip for no reason and it doesn't matter, because when the guy gets asked to cut his finger off it absolutely feels like you've been asked to cut your finger off and it's intense.

I've never had such a connection with drinking orange juice before. No, the stories are the worst thing about these games but the system behind them is absolutely brilliant. If The Walking Dead had a control scheme even half as good then there'd be people who would never be able to play anything but The Walking Dead again.

Ihateregistering1:
Sorry, but I just can't buy Ellen Page as being a bad-ass Secret Agent. It'd be like if they made an action movie and got Clay Aiken to play a Navy SEAL.

This was my first problem with this "game". Second problem is that unless it's some super-duper special edition I don't pay $60 for a movie.

BrotherRool:
I'm looking forward to this so much

liam_whinery:
I agree, this guy should just make movies. His stories are legit...

This is the greatest untruth of all. His stories are absolutely terrible, did you ever play Heavy Rain? Or Fahrenheit? It's pretty much universally accepted that he is an absolute crud writer. The reason why Heavy Rain was good enough to get an 'it's not bad' from Yahtzee is purely on the strength of it's control system and how it builds connections with what you are doing. It really is that good. He has stories where every other person turns out to be a psychopath and long scenes where ladies strip for no reason and it doesn't matter, because when the guy gets asked to cut his finger off it absolutely feels like you've been asked to cut your finger off and it's intense.

I've never had such a connection with drinking orange juice before. No, the stories are the worst thing about these games but the system behind them is absolutely brilliant. If The Walking Dead had a control scheme even half as good then there'd be people who would never be able to play anything but The Walking Dead again.

This is the truth.

Proverbial Jon:

ALL the polygons!

Slavery is freedom.

More like the Xbone is quality. But the Orwell reference is very much appreciated.

Sonic Doctor:
All I saw was rendered cut scenes from the look of it. Graphics looked too good even for the PS3.

That's the pay-off you get for a game that practically plays itself.

It looks great. Just look at it, since it's all you can do with this game.

Somehow I can't help feeling this CIA angle is a bid for the "wider CoD audience" grab. I dunno, it seemed cooler when she was a vulnerable refugee on the run from the gov't, not military recon/assassin (because we got that game already, over and over).

It could be fun to see Ellen Page kicking so much ass, but I don't think that this is a perfect fit.

If this game played like an open-world MGS (but simplified by adventure gaming elements), I could be down for that. Dragon's Lair controls, however, are not so compelling.

I remember enjoying that game, but I wouldn't have paid more than 10-20 bucks for a "movie" where I had to press a button to simply CONTINUE WATCHING. Such an experience isn't a game so much as a movie that has auto-pause unless you press a button.

Heavy Rain was allready a beautifull looking mess. If Cage didn`t mess up the story i`m very interrested in the youtube let`s plays.

GSP66:
More like the Xbone is quality. But the Orwell reference is very much appreciated.

Glad someone noticed that! ^_^

Proverbial Jon:

GSP66:

Glad someone noticed that! ^_^

Well, it's not like it isn't one of the most used and recognizable quotes ever. But you know what they say, Napoleon is always right.

Oh Animal Farm, my love, your time will come. Yesss, your time will come...

Also, despite hearing that Cage's games are terribly written, I was nonetheless surprised at how flat the characters came across as. The actors were fine, obviously, but the dialogue... And I agree, taking the main character and making her a badass might appeal to some, but it totally destroys the interest I initially had in the narrative.

Oh well, I pretty much abandoned home consoles after my Xbox 1(-.-) died and I tired of the Gamecube we had. Unfortunately, nothing I've seen of the Xbonnet or the Playstation More Of The Same If We're Lucky have convinced me I should reconsider. Which is too bad really, I've always enjoyed good games wherever I could find them. Being relegated to only my PC and mobile gaming kinda makes me sad the consoles are in such a sorry state, since some of my fondest and earliest gaming memories are on them. But I've got my 3DS for my Nintendo fix and the revival the PC is undergoing is one of the most glorious things I've ever seen, so I guess this will end up filed under Not My Problem.

Ihateregistering1:

That's the one thing I find interesting.

Anyone here see the movie Face/Off? I propose we do that with Cage & Uwe Boll.

cap: one hit wonder
lol

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or