Hands-On: Experience a Dark Fairy Tale With Puppeteer

The head switching ability reminds me a lot of Kid Chameleon, from the Genesis era. Still looks cool!

Excellent. Sounds like a good bit of fun. I'm really glad we're seeing so many new things for the opening of the next generation. I'll be honest, with how things have been going I really wasn't expecting it.

Jamous:
Excellent. Sounds like a good bit of fun. I'm really glad we're seeing so many new things for the opening of the next generation. I'll be honest, with how things have been going I really wasn't expecting it.

Just a minor nitpick. The game was announced for the PS3; this game is technically closing the old generation rather than opening the new one.

Is it just me, or does this game scream "LittleBigPlanet"? Like.. it was literally made in LBP2, or at least used it as a jump off point.

That's not a dig, just an observation.

Keith K:
Is it just me, or does this game scream "LittleBigPlanet"? Like.. it was literally made in LBP2, or at least used it as a jump off point.

That's not a dig, just an observation.

It's certainly tapping into the same kind of whimsy, but the humor is much more snarky and dark. Yin Yang, in particular, is a wonderful jerk.

What's the difference between a dark fairy tale and a fairy tale, aren't all fairy tales inherently dark - hell, most, if not all fairy tales in their original form either ended with everyone dead or wishing they were. If no one is even a little tortured by the end of Puppeteer, which I'm totally buying by the way, then I don't think it can be called a fairy tale, let alone a tautologically named "dark fairy tale."

And I don't think this looks too much like Little Big Planet at all, sure it graphically looks like a kindergarten level arts and craft project like anything Media Molecule makes; but I personally think this is just a creative as hell 2.5D sidescroller with it's own charm while LBP was a 3D platformer with the worlds worst camera which made it look jarringly similar to sidescroller. I think LBP is a hell of lot more charming than Puppeteer, but I feel Puppeteer looks like it will have better gameplay and potentially be more fun, in that it looks like movement and fluid control seems like a major focus.

Now I understand I'm in the minority of people who don't like LBP, the fact it wasn't a sidescroller and the game's stagnant camera that made it hard for me to tell if I was jumping in the right place, that shits me to tears; so when I say Puppeteer looks like a better game than what Media Molecule makes, you can tell where my opinions are coming from. In this I think I will enjoy Puppeteer far more than I did LBP.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here