Escapist News Now: Destiny E3 2013

Destiny E3 2013

The Escapist sits down with the president of Bungie to discuss Destiny

Watch Video

I like the idea that the player cap is defined by the environment. It's good to know the designers get to make what they want to make without having to worry about supporting the maximum number of players. However, I can see it getting very strange if you're in a big group and someone has to get kicked out.
Aside from that, Destiny looks pretty good so far, I just hope there are enough places to explore in the solar system to keep me interested for, well, years.

I hate these types of interviews. See I'm all over Destiny when it comes out, but this trailer/interview made it look horrible. Just like every other bland FPS of our days. Having to know what weapons work on what enemies sounds basic and simple, but it also means this isn't an open ended game. Its a series of camouflage linear fire-fights. Take Skyrim. Just about every enemy can be beaten to death with a woodsman ax, so it adds a level of customization. If the bandits can only be killed by a knife, and the dragons by a magic sword and a giant by a bow and a cow by a stick, etc...then the game is more like a J-RPG where the game plays itself and you just kinda' watch.

Daaaah Whoosh:
I like the idea that the player cap is defined by the environment. It's good to know the designers get to make what they want to make without having to worry about supporting the maximum number of players. However, I can see it getting very strange if you're in a big group and someone has to get kicked out.
Aside from that, Destiny looks pretty good so far, I just hope there are enough places to explore in the solar system to keep me interested for, well, years.

I'm hoping there's a large cap for party sizes and the instance simply stops letting people in once it reaches maximum capacity. No need to drop group, you just can't all enter at the same time. Should make things easier for people that way I would think.

Silentpony:
See I'm all over Destiny when it comes out, but this trailer/interview made it look horrible. Just like every other bland FPS of our days.

Perhaps because it's another bland FPS? A trailer & interview don't change the material you are looking at. Sometimes a rock is just a rock. It's just the creator of Halo who's jonesing for a new FPS like his previous creation.

Man I'm looking forward to this. Why are the games I'm looking forward to most in this next gen not coming until next year :(

spunkgarglewiwi:
It's just the creator of Halo who's jonesing for a new FPS like his previous creation.

Not to mention Activision trying to expand their MMO portfolio from just WoW - After getting slapped by investors and rating agencies for having too many eggs in that cash-cow-basket they are pretty desperate to diversify.

I'd be shocked if Activision doesn't require some sort of monthly stipend to let you play.

That being said, if it truly is a good FPS "mmo" I'd be really interested to see how it is. Remember that 'unannounced mmo project' some of the WoW-devs disappeared to a while back? Maybe this is the project they were helping along?

Marowit:

spunkgarglewiwi:
It's just the creator of Halo who's jonesing for a new FPS like his previous creation.

Not to mention Activision trying to expand their MMO portfolio from just WoW - After getting slapped by investors and rating agencies for having too many eggs in that cash-cow-basket they are pretty desperate to diversify.

I'd be shocked if Activision doesn't require some sort of monthly stipend to let you play.

That being said, if it truly is a good FPS "mmo" I'd be really interested to see how it is. Remember that 'unannounced mmo project' some of the WoW-devs disappeared to a while back? Maybe this is the project they were helping along?

Bungie is aiming for free to play with a micro transaction store.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here