Escape to the Movies: Man of Steel

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Man of Steel

MovieBob gives us the inside scoop on the latest in the Superman films.

Watch Video

So it's pretty much EXACTLY what the trailers said it would be? Huh imagine that. I hate the image of Supes as the all american perfect life pretty boy as much as the next guy, but when you can fucking FLY, that's something to smile about.

I will NOT kneel before T-bow

That "you're f--king Superman" almost sounds tropeworthy like "the goddamn Batman".

Please don't have that happen, Bob. *grovels blubberingly* PLE-E-EASE!!!

So it's solid, but not brilliant.

I can live with that. I still believe Christopher Nolan is overrated and this movie's lack of playfulness seems to reinforce this notion but I am glad that the movie is good--and that Snyder will get to keep making films, because he makes interesting ones.

Well, seems like the good bits are better than I expected them to be, but the bad bits - that Nolan doesn't get superman on a fundamental level, and worse doesn't even seem to want to try to do so - are every bit as bad. Such a shame WB didn't have anyone to get for this project capable of going at it with the kind of sincerity and fun that breathed life into the Marvel Studios superhero films.

MovieBob:
Man of Steel

MovieBob gives us the inside scoop on the latest in the Superman films.

Watch Video

I dunno... I understand why the eugenics element was added. It answers a lot of questions many of us have had about the whole origin for a long, long time.

Why does Kal-El get the special seat, while everyone else's kid dies? Well, he's the only REAL birth. AND he's the vessel of the [REDACTED MACGUFFIN], which explains why Zod would seek him out. As to why Zod would be so single-mindedly consumed by this? He was made to do so. Say what you will about Goyer and Nolan, but they deeply appreciate economy in a story. There's not a lot of "just because."

And I understand that, completely. If DC is going to have any hope of an ensemble piece like a Justice League movie, they can have every hero surrounded by a whole bunch of "just 'cuz" and coincidence.

Agreements: the Lane/Clark romance was scattered, but it's Nolan. We know this weakness, so it's not surprising.

My favorite things in this movie: their handling of Kryptonite (such as it is), and the spoilerific climax that is unlike any "hero origin story fight" I've seen -- very powerful moment, with a lot of thematic weight behind it. Kaora-Ul: fantastic henchwoman, without having to qualify any of her badassness with "...for a girl."

DVS BSTrD:
So it's pretty much EXACTLY what the trailers said it would be?

I thought so, and though I agree with some of what Bob says, I don't agree with why he said it. I thought all in all it was a lot of fun, it touched on the things that make Superman different than the rest of the Justice League (being an alien superhuman boy scout) and why that is, without hitting you over the head about it. The action definitely set the standard for future superhero movies, and if Green Lantern had been done this way I have no doubt we would be speaking of that movie differently. I'm a huge Batman fan, and perhaps that is why, but in the end I really enjoyed this movie.

And in my opinion, Faora's fight scenes were the best in the movie, hands down.

But just an opinion :)

So as a person who never really liked Superman, I'm going to like this more than he did? Sold. Seeing this.

So they have a mcguffin that Superman has for a race that's not able to breed and he's the first baby in a long time, and he's not the mcguffin they want? This smells of Earth Final Conflict.

Not seen it yet, so can't judge first-hand if its a bit over the top, but I would have thought a bit of brooding would be kind of acceptable from a Superman who's just starting out. I mean, you find out you are so radically different from everyone else on the planet, that you're the last of your kind, oh wait not quite last its just the rest are evil, bummer, that you're going to be looked on with suspicion or outright hate just for being what you are...If it continues to the sequel, when you'd imagine him to have gotten a bit more comfortable in the role, and people less uneasy about having him in the role, then yeah that'd be a bit much, but I'd imagine anyone would do a bit of soul-searching if they were told they were Superman before they realised how cool it was

When you mentioned "his two dads" I immediately thought of a Superman sitcom, wherin Clark Kent goes to journalism school, and his two gay dads Jonathan and Jor constantly try and control his daily life in various ways, embarrasing him infront of his crush LL (dependent on which season, it's a new LL, when Lex is introduced, Clark goes through a crisis, trying to figure out if he is gay, or his dads just have too much influence on him)

Anyhow, too bad about the movie, but I'll try and go see it anyway.

Awww crap. I'd heard a few other reviews mention the fact it was missing some warmth, but thanks for confirming it Bob. Its such a pity that after Captain America showed that a hero who's schtick is "Nice for niceness sake" can work and The Avengers showed that comic book films dont have to be dark, they mess up the hero who's supposed to be the ultimate of all that. Still going on monday though.

"Are you Superman?"
"No."
"Would you tell me if you were?"
"I'd tell everyone. I never understood why he cared who knew."

Anyway, I've gotta be honest Bob, half of me kinda wanted this episode to start with "IT'S GOOOOOODDDDDDDD!!!" just to get that out of the way. I actually spent most of this video trying to be like "So wait...did he...like it?" But basically what I'm getting is that it's a beautifully shot movie with some good acting, only taken down by a less than average story, right?

Either way, it's good to hear that WB may have pulled off a good DC movie that isn't Batman.

Anyway, glad to hear it's not bad and you weren't forced to take drastic measures.

So, basically Bob's criticism boils down to "Too Serious; Not enough levity. Levity not only for the characters, but in the story that's not willing to let superhero stuff just happen."

And I'm fine with that! I'm seeing this on Tuesday and will likely enjoy it very much.

To be honest, after watching this film, I DID want Zack Snyder to direct a live action DBZ.

Pacific Rim will own ass, even if it just works as a silly mecha-godzilla vs. godzilla movie, because that's all its trying to be.

Whereas Man of Steel had a lot to live up to and deliver, what with its spectacular pedigree; just like Shadows of the Damned.

Oh well, kind of sad that Man of Steel is just "solid", I wish it could've been more.

So if one is a big Superman fan it is somewhat disappointing? Great. Because I've never been a big Superman fan.

I still want to see it.

I saw it and I thought they coulda made a better movie if only they didn't feel the need to re-tread the Supes origin story, I honestly felt bored for the first hour. Did we really need to to tell the origin of the most iconic superhero ever made... again?

Yeah, I basically figured this movie would be a visual masterpiece with little to nothing else when I saw Zach Snyder's name. His movies always seem to look nice, but I keep on feeling like the whole thing is staged, like it's some sort of opera or ballet rather than a movie.
Film, to me, is a medium to explore a small group of characters during the course of a single event, to see how they are changed through this event and their interactions to one another. It's a unique medium because, aside from music or static art, it has perhaps the shortest amount of time to portray its themes, its message, and its story to the audience. I feel like what Snyder often tries to do is reproduce comic book panels in motion, but where comics use every panel to enhance the story, Snyder just makes them look good, and throws out any meaningful moments that wouldn't look good on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Of course, the fact that it's film also means that these images aren't granted the amount of scrutiny offered to more static mediums, and therefore each shot, while beautiful, often cannot carry as much meaning as a painting or photograph.
Either way, I'm probably going to see this movie, and I'm probably going to enjoy it. But, like Watchmen and 300, I will probably never have any desire to watch it again.

Sad to hear that the movie was not all it could be, but strangely even more sad not to see Susan Arendt name at the end of this video. Will still watch the movie this Sunday though. If nothing else to make the sequel happen.

Adam Jensen:
So if one is a big Superman fan it is somewhat disappointing? Great. Because I've never been a big Superman fan.

This.

I could honestly care less about him. OP'd to the max. BUT, this movie has me excited. Since the first teaser, absolutely stoked! I know nothing about Zod, never seen Superman (the first film). I'm hitting this blind. I think that's going to help me a lot.

That being said a friend of mine who's a huge Superman fan wants to see it 5 more times. Sooooooo it may depend on the person.

Varya:
When you mentioned "his two dads" I immediately thought of a Superman sitcom, wherin Clark Kent goes to journalism school, and his two gay dads Jonathan and Jor constantly try and control his daily life in various ways, embarrasing him infront of his crush LL (dependent on which season, it's a new LL, when Lex is introduced, Clark goes through a crisis, trying to figure out if he is gay, or his dads just have too much influence on him)

I can't be the only one who actually wants to see this, right?

Captcha: half full. So we know it's an optimist!

This might sound weird, but I did want to throw it out there that if you still have 9/11 issues, I would skip this movie. Being someone who is around a lot of people with these issues still, mainly because I live near NYC, a lot of the scenes were uncomfortable even to me.

Never read a Superman comic in my life (although I did watch that TV show when I was a kid, whatever it was called), so perhaps I'll enjoy this like I was supposed to enjoy Star Trek. Sometimes the more invested in "canon" you are, the harder it is to accept an alternate. No one likes things that are unfamiliar to them. Although I loved Iron Man 3 and can movie and comic book 'verse separate.

Yet at this point, with all the hype and marketing, if you didn't go to see this movie you'd probably be missing this year's Avengers: wanting to participate in the conversation of the summer but have nothing to say. I'm already set to see it next week.

Tombsite:
Sad to hear that the movie was not all it could be, but strangely even more sad not to see Susan Arendt name at the end of this video. Will still watch the movie this Sunday though. If nothing else to make the sequel happen.

They are already planning for the next one.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124867-Man-Of-Steel-Sequel-Enters-Pre-Production

I'll see if I can catch a screening.

What did you do to Lois, Man of Steel? WHAT DID YOU.... If this is the general concensus, and I find it to be true when I watch it, I will personally kick the writer in the nuts.

I fucking despise Superman and everything he stands for, so I might just enjoy this movie.

Palomemordnillap:

Varya:

I can't be the only one who actually wants to see this, right?

Captcha: half full. So we know it's an optimist!

Each each story arch could have a title spoofing a DC event: "Red Son, Pink Dads" "Crisis with infinite dads" "Finals Crisis"

Zack Snyder made a visually stunning action heavy movie weak on script and plot? Get out of town.

But seriously, of all the complaints you could have for the movie, Superman being to dark and brooding is probably the best one I could hope for. I feel like we've already had enough of the opposite.

It's a pitty that superhero movies today are going through more or less what comics went on the 90s: everything must be dark and gritty. Anyway, I am still going to see it.

Looks awesome. Im no superman fan, as in superman comic fan. But i always wanted to see superman kick off and fight villians. Superman Returns failed miserably in that aspect. Shows that in future movies they could have more nasty and powerful villians for him to deal with. Fingers crossed.

Also for the sequel NO LEX LUTHOR. Really he is always used and its about time we saw more of Supermans other enemies appear on screen. Because Lex movies end up going the krptonite route and thats just boring.

This is kind of what I was worried about when the people behind this movie were announced (the story I mean).

ALRIGHT! Time to get excited for Batman Superman Begins!!!

Wait....

The word i would use to describe this movie is "Joyless". It's a good movie yes but it takes its self WAYYY too seriously.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here