Apocalaughs

Apocalaughs

MovieBob takes a look at the comedian-filled comedy This is the End

Read Full Article

Bob, you said it better than I ever could. This is the End was raunchy, debauched, sacrilegious, crude, and managed to be one of the greatest comedies I have ever seen.

How good is it if I am barely familiar with the source material? The last comedies I have seen and enjoyed this generation are "40 Years Old Virgin" and "The Hangover I", so I don't think I would get a reference to "The Pineapple Express"...

My brother and I, on seeing the commercials for this:
"It looks like it would be awful, but I think we need to give it a chance anyway."

Are we psychic? Maybe.

Frankly I'm just amazed they let Michael Cera act again.

Hmm, it looked like a dull movie from the trailers; disaster movie, the apocalypse, a comedy...

By all accounts, it should suck ass. But hearing that the cast isnt acting as normal people, but as themselves... now that sounds quite funny.

Gonna have to give this one a look.

The Great JT:

You really shouldn't put all your Annes in that basket.

(Seriously, have you seen season 4 of Arrested Development?)

hermes200:
How good is it if I am barely familiar with the source material? The last comedies I have seen and enjoyed this generation are "40 Years Old Virgin" and "The Hangover I", so I don't think I would get a reference to "The Pineapple Express"...

I tried watching Pineapple Express and turned it off after 10 minutes. This is the End isn't built on references, and even the Pineapple Express scene requires no previous knowledge.

I actually had high hopes for this one. It looked like it did that thing of "party gone wrong" actually well instead of that crap fest that is The Hangover.

I like most of the actors in it anyway so that probably helped

Would it it still be funny if I don't know who half those people are and have only the vaguest idea about the rest?

This seems like a movie geared towards people who watch a lot of movies and have intimate knowledge of the stars' usual screen personas. In other words, people like Bob.

MowDownJoe:

The Great JT:

You really shouldn't put all your Annes in that basket.

(Seriously, have you seen season 4 of Arrested Development?)

Allow me to clarify. "Frankly I'm just amazed they let Michael Cera act again IN MOVIES." Last thing I can recall seeing him in was Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (which I liked him fine in) and I will be damned if I know anyone outside my roommate who also saw that flick.

Also, I admit this is a point of shame for me, I don't watch Arrested Development. Sorry, but I just don't watch a ton of live-action shows, and the main two I do watch are SportsCenter and Big Bang Theory. AD just kind of passed me by the same way Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and others did (all of which I've heard are varying degrees of awesome).

Wow really? I mean I too expected this film to be trash when I first saw the trailer advertise on Youtube. I guess I could put this film on the list of othe possible films to watch during the summer.

I normally have very strong disagreements with boy's reviews. But this one was fairly accurate. One of the funniest movies I've seen in YEARS

I saw this the day it came out with some friends and it was hilarious. There's just so many good jokes and interaction, like Bob said, the writing and drama is actually all really good. So much of what happens is instantly quotable.

I love Jay Baruchel (I think it's kind of a given, Canadians like Canadian actors), but I also have a mini crush on him. He's way too skinny and a bit too Montreal-Artsy for me, but I still like him. When I saw the first trailer for this a few months ago, I knew I wanted to see it, because if it was bad, it would still be funny, and if it was good, it would be great.

Looking forward to going to this now.

You know, I had a feeling from the trailers that this wasn't going to be a typical modern comedy and would end up being surprisingly good. I'm glad my feelings were right. Probably going to wait until I can rent it, but I definitely plan on checking it out.

The Great JT:
Allow me to clarify. "Frankly I'm just amazed they let Michael Cera act again IN MOVIES." Last thing I can recall seeing him in was Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (which I liked him fine in) and I will be damned if I know anyone outside my roommate who also saw that flick.

You now know another. SPVTW is one of my favorites. It's a guy's version of a chick flick.

Edit.. wow quote failure

I like these guys anyway, I'm a fan of Judd Apatow's movies. They're kinda low brow admittedly but with enough heart to be relatable rather than sleazy. So I like all the Apatow crew as well. Like Kevin Smith all their movies have a feel of just making movies with your friends which leads to great chemistry and just feels really genuine.

I really liked this movie. I saw it about an hour ago. Everything Bob says is true. The dialog is crackling and funny and the improv work is spot on.

Still... I think it does drag a bit in the middle and I wonder if it might not have worked a tad better if it had been structured as a road movie. But all the same, I laughed a lot, really loved the banter, totally enjoyed Micheal Cera and Emma Watson as very unrealistic versions of themselves. (this was a smart move by Emma Watson to allow herself to be enlisted in this cast)

I'm a stand-up and improv comic myself, so I tend to have a real liking of the Apatow gang. Jay Baruchel has always been highly underrated and really gets to shine here. McBride plays to his strengths but that really works. Rogan is horribly flawed as a character, but ultimately relatable and thus likable. See this. Just see it.

See if for no other reason than to see a massive lava demon's unnaturally impressive swinging penis.

honeybakedham:

See if for no other reason than to see a massive lava demon's unnaturally impressive swinging penis.

Sold!

I was intending on seeing this anyway, if for no other reason than to pass the time until The World's End is released, so it's good to hear it achieves what it set out to do. Although I have a slight fear of the end of the world happening in my lifetime; I'll probably be a bit unsettled when everyone dies (in both movies).

Yeah, sorry, I'm not okay with rape jokes. This lost my money.

IndomitableSam:
Montreal-Artsy

Wait, what? Is that really a thing? Is it because of all the French-speaking going on here?

Mr.Tea:

IndomitableSam:
Montreal-Artsy

Wait, what? Is that really a thing? Is it because of all the French-speaking going on here?

Hah, not really. I made it up. I think that's where he lives, though.

Spot1990:
I like these guys anyway, I'm a fan of Judd Apatow's movies. They're kinda low brow admittedly but with enough heart to be relatable rather than sleazy. So I like all the Apatow crew as well. Like Kevin Smith all their movies have a feel of just making movies with your friends which leads to great chemistry and just feels really genuine.

Spot on. This movie seems CUSTOM MADE for loyal members of the Apatow Army, so I definately need to check this one out ASAP.

Glad this is a good one.

And for those that dont like (A single) rape joke, I shall take a friend to see it this week, so nothing of value lost! :P

Edit: So we saw the movie, and holy shit, that was amazing. And the rape joke people are whining about... Seriously its not bad at all, its an anti-rape joke if anything.

hermes200:

I had not seen Pineapple Express and I thought the brief scene was really funny. The self-humor is only a small part.

ace_of_something:

hermes200:

I had not seen Pineapple Express and I thought the brief scene was really funny. The self-humor is only a small part.

Pineapple Express made me watch repeatedly to try to get it. It is a very OK comedy. It is pretty good. Pretty good.

This, on the other hand, while it does bog to finish its story rather than keep the laughs coming, is off the hook.

Kudos to the actors who played versions of themselves and accepted having themselves characterized as wildly imperfect.

And the finale of this movie? Inspired looniness we haven't seen since the end of Mel Brook's "Blazing Saddles".

You are a total and complete irredeemable idiot if you miss this in theaters! See it fast and give these guys the kudos they deserve!!!

MovieBob & others:

Did you guys see the same "This Is The End" that I just did?

Actors being assholes doing penis humor? Pretty much nonstop for the entire movie?

At least five minutes of dialogue about how one character spews massive quantities of sperm, in all directions, uncontrollably, as often and in as many places as possible?

Ah, yes, truly, we have achieved comedic greatness.

As someone who generally agrees with MovieBob (or else thinks he's too critical)...

This *IS* "one of the worst, most un-watchable pieces of self-indulgent junk to crash onto screens"... of all time!

There were exactly two funny lines that I recall -- "not very compelling" and "robbed by Hermione" -- and they were both in the trailers! (And funnier as cut for the trailers.)

Maybe the movie is better if you're more familiar with the actors... but even so. Yeesh.

This was the worst thing I've ever seen in a theater, bar none. And I saw Green Lantern!

Almost anything Danny McBride is in is funny. Or at least, he's always funny.

Yet to see it unfortunately, it looks fantastic. That said, I'm usually a fan of Apatow & co films, so I'd be fairly surprised if I wasn't a fan. The character are pretty much like older, American versions of my friends, I could happily watch them sat in a room chatting bollocks if that's all the movie was.

I know I should have suspended my disbelief the whole way through. I tried, I tried really hard. I mean I really wanted to like this movie since I liked so many of the actors in it. Then I realized what I was watching: a dumber version of Red State, only where Kevin Smith was serious everything here was played for laughs. Damn near every scene took forever to play out. I couldn't get over how ridiculously crappy all the characters were. I mean, even for a parody they were intolerable. I saw this in a theater with strangers and by end of hour one I could tell that they weren't laughing at the movie, they were laughing at stuff that they thought the writers thought was funny. I could see every major character turn miles out.

This is my metric: I look for the black guys in the theater and sort of keep an eye on how much they laugh throughout the movie. If they look sour at the halfway point, then I know it's a movie made for white dudes. And the black guys were scowling! Scowling I say!

Saw it on sunday 10/10. Funniest movie I've seen in forever. Very very weird though. This is literally about the rapture. I've never seen a movie play out like this before. I think you have to go in liking all these actors though. If you're not into their brand of comedy you won't like it, but yeah 6 or so of the favorites(actually tons of cameos all this) running around acting like idiots through the end of the world.

Just got back from it, and all I can really say is "meh". I laughed sure; but I feel like this movie really should have been about 20 minutes shorter.

I finally got to see this movie last night...I sat there stone faced the entire time. I love R rated comedies, The Big Lebowski, the Cornetto Trilogy, 21 Jump Street, In the Loop, Bridesmaids, and This is Spinal Tap being among some of my favorites, but I didn't find This is the End to be in the least bit intelligent, or funny. I found it painfully over long, stagnant, and worst of all, boring.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here