What We Want

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

What We Want

The Citizen Kane of Webcomics

Read Full Article

I'm not entirely sure I get but I found it funny anyway.
Also I think this might be mis-filed (at time of typing filed under conferences)

Grey a LOT of people aren't going to get this one. Because we can't see the punchline!
Edit: FINALLY! hehe you guys really sleighed

Super Ultra Violence? Maybe add a mega to it. We need to ramp it up somehow.

Thats exactly what we want. They nailed it.

PC as vehicle for player = punchline?

It's true, I like to escape and put myself into game worlds to get away from the boring monotony of my daily life. Sue me.

Edit: Oh, 3rd panel exists. That probably changes the punchline. Pity I haven't seen Citizen Cane, otherwise I'd probably get it.

Too bad I never actually watched Citizen Kane.

HAH! THat was awesome

And for those who are getting the same error as I am heres the punchline:

Love the cardboard cut out in the last frame, thats fucking perfect.

Oh wow.
I was only seeing up to the second frame, I thought that was supposed to be the joke. I felt dumb for not getting it but now I can feel smart again.

Also three captchas in a row seriously?

Desert Punk:
HAH! THat was awesome

Thank you. I didn't even notice the third panel because it was completely obscured by ads and links on the right side of the page. I honestly thought that it was just two panels and I really wasn't seeing what was supposed to be funny here.

So all we want is ultra violence? Is that the joke? Also what's with the Invisible Man?

Vivi22:

Desert Punk:
HAH! THat was awesome

Thank you. I didn't even notice the third panel because it was completely obscured by ads and links on the right side of the page. I honestly thought that it was just two panels and I really wasn't seeing what was supposed to be funny here.

No worries, just something to remember in the future that if they fuck up their netcode and a picture doesn't look right, right click it and copy the Image URL and paste it in a new tab.

I have lost count of the number of times I have had to do this to view screen shots, comics and the like.

canadamus_prime:
So all we want is ultra violence? Is that the joke? Also what's with the Invisible Man?

He's a suit (read:
Slang for a businessman or any authority figure that wears a suit, e.g. manager, boss, supervisor.) And the actual punchline is in the third panel that's obscured by links and such.

Well, knowing usual trends in gaming industry that comic is closer to the truth than one might think.

Oh right... I thought it was a jab at the fact that players want to mirror themselves into the game-world, but since they have bland, banal and uninspiring personalities the games will suck either way. The original punchline is better.. and not as depressing

canadamus_prime:

Its not an invisible man.

its a Suit. People in charge of companies that are fairly faceless and bureaucratic are called Suits, they have no personality, all about the numbers ect.

And its not really about violence, it is about the fact that people are all comparing Last of Us to Citizen Kane in its impact and depth, and in gaming things have to be turned up to 11 and marketing says people like actiony covers acording to the folk that made Bioshock Infinite.

Thus its SUPER Citizen Kane, where Kane is

over his shoulder like Dewit was holding a shotgun so the pose is more action oriented, and battlefield is a very popular cover as well so they mimicked that as well.

DVS BSTrD:
Grey a LOT of people aren't going to get this one. Because we can't see the punchline!

I thought the joke was quite transparent.

Actually The Last of Us reminds me more of No Country for Old Men or True Grit.

canadamus_prime:

It's about the gaming world's obsession with searching for the Citizen Kane equivalent of gaming, so as to finally be deemed worthy by the rest of society.

At least, that's what I got from it.

Casual Shinji:

canadamus_prime:

It's about the gaming world's obsession with searching for the Citizen Kane equivalent of gaming, so as to finally be deemed worthy by the rest of society.

Really? Was Citizen Kane really that good? I don't know I've never seen it.

canadamus_prime:

Casual Shinji:

canadamus_prime:

Most modern audiences dont find it that good because we have advanced beyond what made it so revolutionary. Though it is a solid story.

But for its time it was amazing, the reasons for which I would have to go into an essay to answer, which...I am really not up for at this time of night. :P

Fantastic, Grey and Cory.

Critical Miss is clearly the Citizen Kane of videogame webcomics.

canadamus_prime:

Casual Shinji:

canadamus_prime:

I've never seen it myself, but at the time Citizen Kane was a pretty revolutionary film that greatly innovated cinematography and story structure. And it's still just kind of a darling of the industry.

Zachary Amaranth:

DVS BSTrD:

I thought the joke was quite transparent.

Despite being the resident pun-master, he meant that literally; Some formatting mistake made the last panel unreadable, but it's fixed now.

Desert Punk:

canadamus_prime:

Casual Shinji:
Actually The Last of Us reminds me more of No Country for Old Men or True Grit.It's about the gaming world's obsession with searching for the Citizen Kane equivalent of gaming, so as to finally be deemed worthy by the rest of society.

Most modern audiences dont find it that good because we have advanced beyond what made it so revolutionary. Though it is a solid story.

But for its time it was amazing, the reasons for which I would have to go into an essay to answer, which...I am really not up for at this time of night. :P

Casual Shinji:

canadamus_prime:

Casual Shinji:
Actually The Last of Us reminds me more of No Country for Old Men or True Grit.It's about the gaming world's obsession with searching for the Citizen Kane equivalent of gaming, so as to finally be deemed worthy by the rest of society.

I've never seen it myself, but at the time Citizen Kane was a pretty revolutionary film that greatly innovated cinematography and story structure. It's it's still just kind of a daring of the industry.

But I still have to question why it's considered that benchmark that we need to meet. Putting aside the other question of why we feel the need to keep up with the film industry instead of forging our own identity.

But I thought The Big Lebowski was the Citizen Kane of movies already!

So close yet so far. They'll get it eventually (the butts of the joke, not grey and Cory. Grey and Cory are awesome.) Although I have to admit playing as Charles Foster Kane in a Bioshock setting would be awesome.

Man, whoever started this fucking comparison better not admit it while I'm present. Getting slapped hard will the least of their problems at that moment.

I think we can all agree that "Super Citizen Kane 64" is going to be the shiznit.

I laughed at this.

But I wish Videogames would stop being compared to movies. The two mediums should be going in different directions not having one trying its best to emulate the other.

Desert Punk:
HAH! THat was awesome

I still don't get it. Can has explanation?

canadamus_prime:

But I still have to question why it's considered that benchmark that we need to meet. Putting aside the other question of why we feel the need to keep up with the film industry instead of forging our own identity.

Because Film is the media we most closely resemble, we are nothing like writing, music, or performance art.

And the reason it was a bench mark is because it did so many things fundamentally different to other films of it time and changed film making forever. THAT is the bench mark gaming needs, a fundamental shift in how things are done for the better that will enhance the medium as a whole.

Flames66:

Desert Punk:
HAH! THat was awesome

I still don't get it. Can has explanation?

Sure, I will repost the explanation I made earlier about it.

Desert Punk:

canadamus_prime:

Its not an invisible man.

its a Suit. People in charge of companies that are fairly faceless and bureaucratic are called Suits, they have no personality, all about the numbers ect.

And its not really about violence, it is about the fact that people are all comparing Last of Us to Citizen Kane in its impact and depth, and in gaming things have to be turned up to 11 and marketing says people like actiony covers acording to the folk that made Bioshock Infinite.

Thus its SUPER Citizen Kane, where Kane is

over his shoulder like Dewit was holding a shotgun so the pose is more action oriented, and battlefield is a very popular cover as well so they mimicked that as well.

And sorry for double quotes, just wanted to make sure Flames got an inbox notification ^.^

Desert Punk:

canadamus_prime:

Because Film is the media we most closely resemble, we are nothing like writing, music, or performance art.

And the reason it was a bench mark is because it did so many things fundamentally different to other films of it time and changed film making forever. THAT is the bench mark gaming needs, a fundamental shift in how things are done for the better that will enhance the medium as a whole.

Except the video games are interactive and films are not. That's a pretty big difference. And thus I don't see why we should be using a film as a benchmark.

The problem is that I have never seen Citizen Kane nor read any reviews of The Last of Us (except the Escapists).

I based it on the last image basically being "dudebro" cover art. I thought it was them mocking how they saw the white, gruff male protagonist and the female support character, but only saw the male protagonist (like they always seem to).

I should probably read some reviews and watch Citizen Kane...

Ishal:
I laughed at this.

But I wish Videogames would stop being compared to movies. The two mediums should be going in different directions not having one trying its best to emulate the other.

This is why I'm on the Suit's side rather than Erin's. Emotionally engaging characters are for movies, not games.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here