Jimquisition: PS4 - Doing Nothing, Meaning Everything

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

PS4 - Doing Nothing, Meaning Everything

Sony created a magic moment this past week at E3, declaring for the world that PS4 would not restrict used games or utilize DRM. Power to the people!

Watch Video

Yes, how sad it is that Sony just has to say that they'll do things that have been done for years and get lauded for it. Those things should go without saying.

While you can still share disc based games you cannot game share and sony will most definitely move in a more digital centered market in the near future.

I also liked sony's approach to indie games. Most of my time has been spent on XBLA indie games, and so it's good to see sony so righteously embracing them. Solar 2, From Dust, Blood Dragon, these games are awesome and I'm glad to see sony facilitating the production of more of them.

Plus, no DRM. Sorry microsoft, you lose. Although I'm still also getting an ouya purely because it's guaranteed to have freeware on it, being an open source console.

"Here's an idea: how about we make the Playstaion 4 about, you know, PLAYING!"

what do you think about Nintendo's more snarky remark "if you're worried about used games sales, make better games"?

People are way more unjustified in applauding this. A year or two after launch, Sony's pulling a 180. Mark my words.

STERLING BE PRAISED!

MichaelMaverick:
People are way more unjustified in applauding this. A year or two after launch, Sony's pulling a 180. Mark my words.

Why would they? If they get the install base that it looks like they're going to get, leaving the policies in place, while focusing on ramping up the PSN marketplace would net them a lot more cash than turning around and screwing over the consumer. It would make no sense for them to do that.

OT: Its really surprising to see just how thoroughly Microsoft has screwed this up on a PR level. Policies aside, they announced things in the worst way possible, especially in the clusterfuck after they announced their console.

MichaelMaverick:

Well it wouldn't be the first time they did that but right now there is no evidence to support that claim so it is irrelevant.

I don't praise the Ps4 for doing nothing but at the same time they are the more appealing of the two choices (already have Wii U).

Also glad to see Jim mention Microsoft's true intentions, and that is they are declaring war on consumers.

Sadly enough some gamers still desperately try to defend their actions with what I could only assume to be a severe case of Stockholm Syndrome.

By the title I knew He'd call PS4 on it's lack of "change", and i agree, it is sad that doing something a company should do like treating the customer with respect. It is sad but that probably makes it all the more good.

Exceptional articulation of the Sony's reveal of support for used games.

The realization that this announcement--with all its praise--is really a celebration of the status quo is something I'm certain came to just about everyone's mind, and exploring why this inaction is deserving of such high regard is exactly the right angle to go from.

MichaelMaverick:

probably true, but they have been spanked pretty hard in the past for being dick holes. Maybe they've figured out they need to be jerks in small manageable doses instead of huge clusterfucks like the xbone and Diablo 3

wait... diablo 3 is coming to ps4 and it's an always online game right?

fucking son of a bitch.

GAunderrated:
Sadly enough some gamers still desperately try to defend their actions with what I could only assume to be a severe case of Stockholm Syndrome.

What's that saying? Don't attribute to malice what can be equally attributed to stupidity.

Or, in this case, don't assume mental psychosis when they really could just be utter morons. "Stockholm Syndrome"... yeah, nah, they just have poor problem solving skills or something.

Rainboq:

MichaelMaverick:

Why would they? If they get the install base that it looks like they're going to get, leaving the policies in place, while focusing on ramping up the PSN marketplace would net them a lot more cash than turning around and screwing over the consumer. It would make no sense for them to do that.

Maybe because people have already bought a PS4 by then and are reluctant to change just because policies change. It wouldn't surprise me if they caved to the pressure, no.

Still, this is worthy of celebration. Kudos, Sony.

I already own a super pc so I'm probably not going to get a ps4 until it becomes cheaper.

Despite that I really hope the playstation 4 beats the xbox one, I don't expect the xbox one to fail but I don't expect it to beat the play station 4.

MichaelMaverick:

I love how defense for Microsoft has now devolved from justifying there terrible practices to trying to convince everybody that Sony will be just as bad at some fixed date. It's like "hey guys I know candidate A is going to make cutting off hands mandatory but vote for him anyways because even though candidate B is promising free puppies instead I think he'll eventually come on board to beheadings". Well you know what even if that's true (and I think that's more of a wishful assumption or overt cynisism) I'll take the two years of puppies to an immediate beheading any day of the week.

canadamus_prime:
Yes, how sad it is that Sony just has to say that they'll do things that have been done for years and get lauded for it. Those things should go without saying.

While sad, it's still pretty poignant on my decision between the next generation of consoles, since it preserves what I'm still unsure Sony realizes they are; gaming tradition/precedence/history. I think this is one medium where technology CAN overstep it's bounds. People want to just play games, on a controller with simple button layouts. Other entertainment mediums are great, but they don't have a part to play in the video game entertainment genre.

I find it important to separate my entertainment mediums as well; I find I get bored of my iphone, having what I need, games, Netflix AND HBO GO, but enjoy each separately on other 'consoles' (as in, including PC). There IS such a thing as too much through one medium, I'll believe. Then again, this is myself; YMMV.

EDIT: New thought: 'Status quo' has been mentioned in the thread now, and I think it should be said that Sony not breaking that actually helps, since it at least puts them in a position, if not to better listen to core gamers, at least sounds like they have heard their concerns; Video game corporations have had a great* track record of listening to core gamers.

MichaelMaverick:

Also worried about this, since they did pull Other OS from PS3, which pissed me off to the moon.

*:Read: A gradual process to complete ignorance.

I think the truth is far darker....

canadamus_prime:

and, at the same time, when the other half of the coin has decided to go balls-out on the restrictions, simply upholding the status quo IS serious business.

Racecarlock:

Plus, no DRM.

No additional DRM. There's a big difference there.

"Or just buy a gaming PC and have an awesome life."

That's basically what I was thinking the whole episode.

Deadcyde:

wait... diablo 3 is coming to ps4 and it's an always online game right?

They've already announced that the console versions can be played offline. Except perhaps Xbox One, which is a murky, gray area considering it will require a connection in order to run.

At this point I'd like to see Blizzard drop the DRM for PC, but I doubt that's gonna happen.

"that will not do" is that a pink floyd reference I see before me?

MichaelMaverick:

If you don't trust Sony, that's absolutely fine by me, but don't act as if there's some sort of proof to back up your mistrust and that we're all daft for thinking otherwise.

What's funny is I was planning on getting the next Xbox solely because I was tired of getting DLC late because Microsoft paid developers to fuck over anyone who didn't buy their version of a game.

Will all this bad press and the fact that the PS4 is reasonably priced maybe Microsoft will know what its like to get fucked over except they'll have no one to blame but themselves.

"Microsoft has declared war on the consumer."

They've been at war for the last twenty years. It's nice that the general population is finally starting to notice, but this is SOP for Microsoft: Pump money into a new product until they've driven out the competition, then once the consumers have no choice they squeeze them for all they're worth. Only difference is that they got impatient this time and forgot that Sony's not out of the game yet.

Big_Isaac:
what do you think about Nintendo's more snarky remark "if you're worried about used games sales, make better games"?

What's there to say? It is one or the two most effective solutions.
Either give people a reason to keep their games (like when they are good)
Or give people a reason to buy new over used (NOT punishing buying used games)

I know the tune of that song that Jim was humming but I don't know the name...
On the other hand, the fact that Sony hasn't done anything is the same reason why I don't see the need to upgrade to next gen consoles.

What else could Sony have added though? The specs look good, they put in game capture, they're ramping up their market place, what else do we need? Microsoft's cloud sharing thing is neat but it's obvious it has too many drawbacks, or should they have gone the Nintendo rout and made the console centered on a weird new controller?

I'd rather them do what they're doing now than add some shitty invasive feature for the sake of "innovation"

Freaky Constantina!

YEAH YEAH!

yo motherfucka!

Oh, and good video, I guess. Could have used more mesh tank-tops, though.

It's also kind of a shame that gaming has gotten to the point where Sony says it won't completely dick people over, and everyone cheers. That's videogames now.

Loki_The_Good:

MichaelMaverick:

I love how defense for Microsoft has now devolved from justifying there terrible practices to trying to convince everybody that Sony will be just as bad at some fixed date.

"I'm not going to hell alone, I'M TAKING YOU ALL WITH ME!"

This, this is what I've been trying to think of but for some reason couldn't find the words. True, Sony did nothing new or revolutionary yet they were applauded anyway. They did nothing new and shouldn't really be applauded in a normal market. That doesn't make Microsoft good for trotting out their console the way they did, and it doesn't make the Xbone better.

Of course, that's probably been said elsewhere, but Mr Sterling has a way of grabbing my attention...

EDIT: There's also another point in that ruler analogy that Mr Sterling used in the video. If Sony is the king that sits on his throne and does nothing, Microsoft is the tyrant next door who oppresses his own people for the crime of living in his kingdom. Sure it might look pretty and there might be some good things to water it down, but I'd take indifference over oppression any day.

Congratulations Jim you now understand how conservatives feel about most politics. A lack of progress is preferable to getting screwed up the arse.

OT: I really hope that Sony does stay true to the promises they made at E3, if they do i see this being a rather good console generation for them. But the eternal pessimist in me is saying that all good things will come to an end and eventually Sony is going to turn on us. Probably through some terrible all digital distribution system.

But for now all well and let us enjoy this brief time when it seemed like someone in the game industry was actually listening to the consumers.

Does nobody remember the last time Sony promised a feature that people got really excited about? How are those Linux PS3's doing now anyway?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here