The Escapist Presents: The Best RPGs of E3 2013

The Best RPGs of E3 2013

Ashley Esqueda checks out some of The Escapist's favorite RPGs from E3 2013.

Watch Video

And finally, Elder sctolls onli-Bluuuuuuuu

This game has yet to win me over...

The Tom Clancy game actually seems pretty interesting. Or maybe it was just the weeble wobble ball that explodes.

Cool video. I'm very looking forward to X and FFV.

This is the first time I've heard of Ashley, but she's proven herself a true nerd by not wanting to look at the Elder Scroll on display for too long. Very well done :)

I hate the new art direction of Final Fantasy games why go for pseudo realism? Why not go back to quasi-fantasy style of snes games we didn't see that in a while on a big system.

james.sponge:
I hate the new art direction of Final Fantasy games why go for pseudo realism? Why not go back to quasi-fantasy style of snes games we didn't see that in a while on a big system.

Because "ZOMGULTRAREALIZMIZDABESTEST" and publishers refuse to see it any other way. Also, I can't care less about FFXV, but I DO care about the new Kingdom Hearts because ITS FUCKING KINGDOM HEARTS. Oh, and Star Wars Battlefront, because ITS FUCKING STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT.

Really can't wait for The Witcher 3! Simply because there appears to be lots of elements which I already love about The Witcher 2 present, but bettered, in the trailer. Geralt's model looks a bit cumbersome/awkward though. Think I prefer his image in TWI2.

FF15 is interesting - I love turn/atb based combat and I have to admit at being disappointed that FF15 isn't more traditional. But that said it does look really good, and at the end of the day a good game is a good game.

Elder Scrolls online? Ah well, maybe if I ever decide to game on-line I;ll check it out.

oops, double post.

Thank you for that question at 2:50ish. Been wondering that ever since the game was announced.

Nice, though in my opinion almost none of these games are RPGs ^^
Really cant anyone distinguish between an action rpg and a straight rpg anymore? As a huge rpg game nerd this makes me so sad :(
(also before you jump at my throat, action rpgs are great, they have their place, but they are just a very different type of game)

erbi79:
Really cant anyone distinguish between an action rpg and a straight rpg anymore? As a huge rpg game nerd this makes me so sad :(
(also before you jump at my throat, action rpgs are great, they have their place, but they are just a very different type of game)

While I get what you're saying, it would be a bit too pedantic to try to subdivide a simple presentation like this into subgenres. In any case, where do you draw the line? There are people on RPG Codex that don't consider Baldur's Gate to be an RPG. Do we have to go back to Ultima and Wasteland or the AD&D Gold Box series to find a true RPG? Better just to call them all RPGs except in the case of an actual discussion on subgenres.

Wildstar still looks much more interesting than TESO. Then again, I was somewhat disappointed with Skyrim in general, compared to the older TES games.

X looks interesting, but I wouldn't get a WiiU for it. I'm not sure when Square Enix made a good RPG. >_> I like some JRPGs, but FF is fucking awful. Suikoden and Persona are great though.

SpunkeyMonkey:
Really can't wait for The Witcher 3! Simply because there appears to be lots of elements which I already love about The Witcher 2 present, but bettered, in the trailer. Geralt's model looks a bit cumbersome/awkward though. Think I prefer his image in TWI2.

I'm so with you on that one, I was literally never this excited for a game.

If I remember correctly Geralt looked awkward in the early trailers of TW2 too, it seems they polish that in the last stages of development.

What excites me most is that they already show so much gameplay and landscapes and everything, from a game thats still almost a year away from launch. Compare that to Dragon Age 3, which is supposed to come out around the same time, where we only got a short CGI trailer that practically conveyed nothing.
That probably means they will have lots of time for polishing etc.

Scars Unseen:

erbi79:

While I get what you're saying, it would be a bit too pedantic to try to subdivide a simple presentation like this into subgenres. In any case, where do you draw the line? There are people on RPG Codex that don't consider Baldur's Gate to be an RPG. Do we have to go back to Ultima and Wasteland or the AD&D Gold Box series to find a true RPG? Better just to call them all RPGs except in the case of an actual discussion on subgenres.

My definition is actually simple and straight forward:

direct control and action combat, as in The Witcher and Mass Effect: Action RPG
Tactical Turn based Combat, as in Baldurs Gate and Dragon Age: Straight RPG

That's really the only distinction I care about, because they are just very different gameplay experiences.

Also, in my original post, I made a bigger deal out of this then it actually is for me.
What I am scared about is that the "classic" type of RPG will just eventually vanish and the modern type of action rpg will replace it, and that would just be a loss for many gamers who love "straight RPGs".

I just wish for more variety :)

Ashley Esqueda:
The Best RPGs of E3 2013

Ashley Esqueda checks out some of The Escapist's favorite RPGs from E3 2013.

Watch Video

I'm kinda sad, this is your last video for the escapist :(

Hmmm. It may because I'm in the middle The Last of Us but the Tom Clancy game is sounding very interesting.

Chris Tian:

If I remember correctly Geralt looked awkward in the early trailers of TW2 too, it seems they polish that in the last stages of development.

What excites me most is that they already show so much gameplay and landscapes and everything, from a game thats still almost a year away from launch. Compare that to Dragon Age 3, which is supposed to come out around the same time, where we only got a short CGI trailer that practically conveyed nothing.

Yeah, he doesn't look too bad like, he just looked better in TW2 than he does there, so hopefully a bit more tweaking will sort that :)

They seem to be building on the foundations which made TW2 so enjoyable, and that fills me with enthusiasm! Especially after seeing series such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect totally rip up the foundations of what made them so great in order to pander to an audience which doesn't care about them. As you say, Dragon Age 3 is already miles behind, and it doesn't have the strength of a great second in the series behind it either. I remember seeing the Mike Laidlaw introduced combat preview for DA:2 and it left me underwhelmed and fearful of the release - fears which sadly proved true.

This really got my juices flowing too...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenniferbosier/2013/06/17/e3-2013-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-gameplay-preview/

But even still I won't pre-order just in case it is all hype and turns out to be pants. Somehow though, I really don't think it will be. :)

EDIT: Just joygasmed at "80 unique monster types which will not scale" Thank God. At last leveling will have a point again in open world games!!

SpunkeyMonkey:

Chris Tian:

Yeah, he doesn't look too bad like, he just looked better in TW2 than he does there, so hopefully a bit more tweaking will sort that :)

They seem to be building on the foundations which made TW2 so enjoyable, and that fills me with enthusiasm! Especially after seeing series such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect totally rip up the foundations of what made them so great in order to pander to an audience which doesn't care about them. As you say, Dragon Age 3 is already miles behind, and it doesn't have the strength of a great second in the series behind it either. I remember seeing the Mike Laidlaw introduced combat preview for DA:2 and it left me underwhelmed and fearful of the release - fears which sadly proved true.

Thats exactly my feeling, it looks like the Witcher 2 just bigger and with horses and sailingboats.

But even still I won't pre-order just in case it is all hype and turns out to be pants. Somehow though, I really don't think it will be. :)

I never preordered anything, but I think The Witcher 3 will be a first at that. I loved The Witcher 2 so much and everything they show and tell us about The Witcher 3 just looks and sounds better and better.

I'm currently reading the Books and plan on replaying the first two games after that in an attempt to make the wait more endurable.

Edit: Haha, the "not scale" bit made me do my happydance in the middle of the office too.

Chris Tian:

Thats exactly my feeling, it looks like the Witcher 2 just bigger and with horses and sailingboats.

I never preordered anything, but I think The Witcher 3 will be a first at that. I loved The Witcher 2 so much and everything they show and tell us about The Witcher 3 just looks and sounds better and better.

I'm currently reading the Books and plan on replaying the first two games after that in an attempt to make the wait more endurable.

Edit: Haha, the "not scale" bit made me do my happydance in the middle of the office too.

Ha ha, I'll drink to that chap *cheers*, I'm sat with several staff pretending to work and inside I'm just wanting to do my own happydance too lol.

And yep, this is the first game I've even considered pre-ordering. Which is a massive testament to both it's predecessor and this trailer.

Whomever produced this video misspelled the word "Division".

erbi79:

My definition is actually simple and straight forward:

direct control and action combat, as in The Witcher and Mass Effect: Action RPG
Tactical party based combat with Pause function , as in Baldurs Gate and Dragon Age: Party based RPG, Real time RPG, maybe even cRPG (but things get fuzzy there)
Tactical Turn based Combat, as in Temple of Elemental Evil, Fallout: Turn based RPG

That's really the only distinction I care about, because they are just very different gameplay experiences.

Also, in my original post, I made a bigger deal out of this then it actually is for me.
What I am scared about is that the "classic" type of RPG will just eventually vanish and the modern type of action rpg will replace it, and that would just be a loss for many gamers who love "straight RPGs".

I just wish for more variety :)

Your definitions were a bit off, but i fixed them for you. All of these are part of the RPG genre, there is no stright, or true RPG. Series like The Witcher, The Elder Scrolls or Gothic, while having a more action oriented combat are in fact RPGs. What is not an RPG but a game (shooter, action adventure) with RPG elements is something like FarCry 3.

But still, i understood what you meant. The old isometric cRPGs are not a priority for many AAA developers nowadays which is kind of understandable considering the production costs of AAA developement and that fac that cRPGs are more of a niche product.

Fortunately it seems that indie developers and kickstarter projects are full of them so we might be seeing some great ones coming out in the following years and if those prove succesful... who knows.

I noticed you guys spelt "The Division" as "The Devision" in the video which... isn't a word :P

Am I the only one who thinks it's telling that they can just 'rebrand; FFXIIIVs into FFXV

Isn't it a bad thing that the games have so little to do with eachother that they can just change the numbers at will?

MMORPG's? So you've betrayed me too Console RPG! Screw you! I don't need you, get out of here!
I'm going to play Dragon Age Origins and Record of Agarest War again.

I'm not some shy lonely nerd yearning for social contact. I'm an antisocial dick head who despises humanity!
I want a single player RPG that takes a hundred hours to beat so I can spend another hundred hours not having to acknowledge that other human beings exist!

And since I don't spend all my loose cash trying to impress random strangers I have enough money to buy video games!
MARKET TO MY DEMOGRAPHIC GAME'S INDUSTRY!!!

Azwrath:

Your definitions were a bit off, but i fixed them for you. All of these are part of the RPG genre, there is no stright, or true RPG. Series like The Witcher, The Elder Scrolls or Gothic, while having a more action oriented combat are in fact RPGs. What is not an RPG but a game (shooter, action adventure) with RPG elements is something like FarCry 3.

But still, i understood what you meant. The old isometric cRPGs are not a priority for many AAA developers nowadays which is kind of understandable considering the production costs of AAA developement and that fac that cRPGs are more of a niche product.

Fortunately it seems that indie developers and kickstarter projects are full of them so we might be seeing some great ones coming out in the following years and if those prove succesful... who knows.

Your redefinition is fine ^^
though I still consider those games, real time with pause function, or plain turn based, to be extremely similar in mechanics and effect, also the intention was to give my definition, not deciding it for others :)

it's not even just the isometric perspective I miss, in fact I was very tired of the Infinity engine games by the end, and if I could ever make my game it would actually be a little bit more creative with the depiction, perspective, camera etc. (I spent a loooong time figuring that out ^^)

Anyway I think where it matters we understand each other and yes, great to see all those Kickstarters coming into existence, and let's hope a few of them at least turn out good :)

Give me Witcher 3 now! I can't wait until 2014, damn that's a long wait.

With that said, 2014 will be a awesome year of RPG's most definitely.

I love how Bethesda does not consider the Wii U a viable console for the new Elder Scrolls MMO.
"All 4 Systems, PC, Mac, PS3 and Xbox One".

Wait the Mac is a Gaming system now? Wait does this mean the Mac has more gamez than Xbone?

The Elder Scrolls MMO is starting to make me think it is going to run into the Age of Conan dilemma of having a bunch of players all supposedly being "destined" to be king of the Imperial city. They really should have thought about the story from a community perspective rather than from the sandbox gaming perspective...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here