Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: Where the Hype Ends

Pages PREV 1 2 3

This is my favourite so far, both poem's were very funny and come through very clear, and I reckon the delivery came out perfect (even Jims character over-reaction).

Is that enough rhymes for you, forums? Forums who were bitching so heavily at Yahtzee last week?

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsqJFIJ5lLs

Thisfellow:

It would seem to me that Yathzee is expressing contempt to the share button*, after all, he is not contemplating to instal one on an existing console. He knows the PS4 comes with this feature and finds the console less desireable for it. If he merely had disintrest for the feature, it wouldn't have made the console any worse for him, would it?

*I don't like the sound of it myself, mind. I'm not trying to defend the PS4 here.

hermes200:

Saying "I am not interested in this" or "I am looking forward to this" is not a fallacy. Saying "this game/system/feature that I have never used is great/horrible" is the same kind of argumentative fallacy. And I think Yahtzee's attitude is closer to "contempt" than to "disinterest".

Then you weren't paying attention, because I was explaining the point of JIM's metaphor.

(apparently I wasn't either, since one of you said "Yahtzee" in your first quote, but what's done is done)

This has nothing to do with Yahtzee's poem, which is about his age-old hype philosophy;

He intentionally thinks little of everything he hasn't tried.

Innegativeion:

Thisfellow:
It would seem to me that Yathzee is expressing contempt to the share button*, after all, he is not contemplating to instal one on an existing console. He knows the PS4 comes with this feature and finds the console less desireable for it. If he merely had disintrest for the feature, it wouldn't have made the console any worse for him, would it?

*I don't like the sound of it myself, mind. I'm not trying to defend the PS4 here.

hermes200:
Saying "I am not interested in this" or "I am looking forward to this" is not a fallacy. Saying "this game/system/feature that I have never used is great/horrible" is the same kind of argumentative fallacy. And I think Yahtzee's attitude is closer to "contempt" than to "disinterest".

Then you weren't paying attention, because I was explaining the point of JIM's metaphor.

(apparently I wasn't either, since one of you said "Yahtzee" in your first quote, but what's done is done)

This has nothing to do with Yahtzee's poem, which is about his age-old hype philosophy;

He intentionally thinks little of everything he hasn't tried.

I get Yahtzee's philosophy. I just think JIM's metaphor can be used to answer on most of Yahtzee's points, since hating on something I haven't played is conceptually as flawed as loving on something I haven't played.

Yahtzee's was brilliantly witty then Jim just shouting fuckfuckfuckfuck was made funnier by the contrast.

Innegativeion:

That's exactly what made me think it was about Yazhee. I hadn't reconised it as an oversight.

hermes200:
I get Yahtzee's philosophy. I just think JIM's metaphor can be used to answer on most of Yahtzee's points, since hating on something I haven't played is conceptually as flawed as loving on something I haven't played.

Still, sceptiscism or optimism about something you still have to experience is not a bad thing. So long as both sides don't resort to dogma's or fallacies and keep out of one-another's hair, it can be a good way of getting people to think about posibilities.

Two-A:
I have never heard a poem with a Cluster F-Bomb before. That was impressive.

Catillus 16 comes pretty close.

Oh, I've been meaning to ask if the whole brits love cheese/tea thing is just a terrible stereotype or if there's a basis in reality?
Yes I know most stereotypes have a small basis in reality, but being American...it really does seem like cheese is a big thing across the pond...

Yahtzee's increasingly sillier exits are really making me rofl :D

I think my problem with Jim's metaphor is it implies he has actually tasted the 'cheese'. Okay fuck it, it implies he's played one of the new gen consoles and doesn't like it. He hasn't. He couldn't have one yet. So it turns into an argument between a guy who loves a cheese but hasn't eaten it, and another guy who hates that same cheese...but again, hasn't eaten it. And that's just not an argument worth having. Yes its a metaphor and yes fanboys are overly zealous about one system or another, but they haven't come out yet! Saying they're terrible is just as misinformed as saying they're great!

I didn't get Jim's metaphor so can't say that I really enjoyed it. Got me pretty confused than anything else.

Yahtzee's on the one hand rhymed pretty well and was on point about the whole hype thing going on at E3 so he won this one in my eyes.

Alfador_VII:
Jim lost totally this week. All I got was a guy who liked cheese but didn't eat it and liked swearing a lot, as a metaphor for.... who knows.

Seriously... you didn't understand that metaphor?! Are you so simple you need someone to hit you over the head with it or something? He even helped you out by saying "metaphor" at the end in case any idiots like you where watching, and thinking, "what does cheese have to do with gaming?" and you STILL didn't get it!

JoeyMousepadd:
Jokes aren't funny if you have to explain them.
Metaphor isn't as trenchant if you have to say "Metaphor!" at the end.

I feel like Jim tipped his hand as to his true opinion of the relative intelligence of The Escapist viewers.

hermes200:
I am not a fan of the "Metaphor!" at the end, for the same reason I am not a fun of the laugh track. Not because I wouldn't get it, but because he felt he needed to state it as a punchline in case someone would say "What does cheese has to do with it?"

I would like to draw your attention to the person above who I've already quoted. Jim is right to have such an opinion of The Escapist viewers and to assume some people wouldn't get it. Some of the people on this site are so stupid they couldn't out-wit a used tea-bag.

Silentpony:
I think my problem with Jim's metaphor is it implies he has actually tasted the 'cheese'. Okay fuck it, it implies he's played one of the new gen consoles and doesn't like it. He hasn't. He couldn't have one yet. So it turns into an argument between a guy who loves a cheese but hasn't eaten it, and another guy who hates that same cheese...but again, hasn't eaten it. And that's just not an argument worth having. Yes its a metaphor and yes fanboys are overly zealous about one system or another, but they haven't come out yet! Saying they're terrible is just as misinformed as saying they're great!

Jim Sterling is the reviews editor for Destructoid. He plays games and discusses them online for a living, and he has repeatedly had complaints from fans, publishers, developers etc. about his reviews because he gave a generally popular game a bad or (worse still sometimes) mediocre review. God forbid he have an opinion of his own after all. You're presuming he's talking about the 'next-gen consoles', but who's to say he's not talking about the review he wrote for Blacklight: Tango Down about 3 years ago. The fact is, the poem is about how stupid fanboys who haven't even tried [X], yet defend it as though it's the best thing ever, but when he comes time for Jim to try it himself and finds it to be not to his liking and he's treated like shit by semi-literate fanboys for not sharing their imaginary, illogical, outright stupid opinion (because they've not actually tried it). [X] could literally represent anything; a game, a console, a smartphone, or a brand of fucking soft drink. It's the act of fanboyism he's criticising.

Here's a YouTube video of him discussing exactly this from 2010.

Seriously, am I the only fucker who understood this bloody poem. I'm starting to wonder if the Escapist community have misplaced the communal brain-cell at this point.

Yahtzee was funnier, but I enjoyed Jim's rhymes more.

These vids should be titled
"Yahtzee's poem title/Jim's poem title"

Once this show goes on for a couple months it'll be nearly impossible to find the poem I want to here again.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here