Escape to the Movies: Monsters University

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Monsters University

MovieBob takes you behind the hazing of Mosters U.

Watch Video

So yeah, basically this should have been made before the original.
At least it's better then Smallville right?

Was taking the kids regardless. Was really hoping for a WWZ review, oh well.

i am pretty sure mega man could have looked like that this, or even last gen.

This movie kinda makes me sad because pixar has reached the point where not everything they do is great, i hate it when companies i like do that.

Capcom hasn't had a clue for a long time now. I guess the movie is a fun (but shallow) time.

Is Bob voice off again or something wrong with the voice editing he may had used?

Danm I thought this week is World War Z which I've just came back home watching it. Good to know that Monster University isn't that bad compared to hte prvious two Pixar film so I guess I may give this a watched if I'm going to the cinema soon (I probably end up watching Pacific Rim next).

I was feeling hesitant about this since Pixar has been suffering from a case of the sequels, but I might give this a try tomorrow just for kicks.

Also, Capcom needs to get its act straight and realize that putting Mega Man on the shelf is not the brightest idea they've had; especially with the reaction SSB fans got when he was announced at E3.

As for Peach in a cat suit... looks cute and I'm glad to see her back as a playable character. Now I'm awaiting the first wave of catsuit Peach fan art from DeviantArt.

Nooo, I must resist. Must. Not. Watch. Review...urrghhh...but so tempting...need to know...

At least tell me if...no, don't tell me anything. This is one of those movies where I want to watch it free from all critic judgment so I can't possibly be swayed.

I promise I will watch this video as soon as I get home from the movies...for now I must simply play the waiting game...

..."Eh, the waiting game sucks. Who wants to play Hungry Hungry Hippos?"

Oh wait, I know something I can say here. Kind of a funny story.

My local comic book shop calls me Squibbles (not sure why, I used to work there, one of my co-workers just started calling me that) but my real last name is Scott. So imagine my surprise when I heard that this movie has a character named Scott Squibbles in it lol

Damn Bob, you've really been letting that Townie accent of yours come out lately.

Anyway, Bob just pretty much confirmed what I expected about this movie. I just wish if Pixar is going to insist on diving into doing sequels they pencil in a sequel for The Incredibles.

Scarim Coral:
Is Bob voice off again or something wrong with the voice editing he may had used?

"Voice editing?" What on earth are you talking about? He's from Boston and he's got a thick Boston accent. For a long time he only used his broadcast voice (a more neutral accent he puts on to be more understandable and to be less distracting), but I think lately he's gotten more comfortable with the Escapist community so he's slipping into his Bostonese more. He's never done any "editing" as far as altering his voice after recording it. I don't think there's even software out there that can effectively fake or cover up an accent.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear the movie stands up pretty well on its own. I never expected to hear that it achieved or surpassed the legacy of its predecessor, but it's good to know there are good times to be had here. I haven't seen it yet, but I would hedge a guess that if it weren't having to stand up against the original MU[1] would be welcomed more as a return to the original Pixar quality, after Brave and the Cars sequel.

[1] A joke I feel obligated to make since I live in Missouri.

Love it when Boston Bob makes an unscheduled appearance. You should use your native accent all the time. It's WICKED awesome.

Super Not Cosmo:

Anyway, Bob just pretty much confirmed what I expected about this movie. I just wish if Pixar is going to insist on diving into doing sequels they pencil in a sequel for The Incredibles.

Amen brother. It's the one Pixar property that makes the most sense for a follow up.

How does the rescue/escape scene stack up to the "door chase" from the first one?

Ickabod:
Was taking the kids regardless. Was really hoping for a WWZ review, oh well.

I'm surprised we got this in stead of WWZ review. A "meh" review isn't as useful or entertaining as a "THIS SUCKS!" or even, if we must, a "This is great!" review.

Scarim Coral:
Danm I thought this week is World War Z which I've just came back home watching it. Good to know that Monster University isn't that bad compared to hte prvious two Pixar film so I guess I may give this a watched if I'm going to the cinema soon (I probably end up watching Pacific Rim next).

How is it?

hermes200:

Scarim Coral:

How is it?

Overall it's ok but as a zombie film, it is rather tame (hardly any blood or gore in it). I pretty much commented my full opinion in Johnny Novgorod thread on the film.

Is it possible to agree with MovieBob that Monsters Inc didn't need a sequel - but I still wanted to know what became of Boo afterwards? Maybe not a full movie, but a short or something?

Speaking of shorts, does this one come with a Pixar short?

Lastly, did I miss something in Monsters Inc? They show that Waternoose (sp?) and Randall know that touching a child isn't dangerous - but does anyone in the Monster world know that laughter is more powerful than screaming? I got the whole "children are poisonous" part of the conspiracy, but where was the acknowledgement from the villains - or anyone else - that a better power source was available (i.e. laughter)? I thought the problem was that no one had ever tried to use laughter before (aka looking for alternative fuels), not that there was a conspiracy to not use it.

True, it doesn't take long to understand that once Boo's rather infectious laughter starts shorting out equipment, but I thought that was a case of "sometimes the best solution is the one right in front of you."

Did I misunderstand him, or did Bob just say he didn't like Brave?

I'm confused.

So, basically the same as Shrek 2. A completely unnecessary sequel that sounds like it's going to be a crap attempt to desperately cash in on a popular film, but that actually turns out to be pretty good despite missing out on the originality of the... original. I think I can live with that.

Lilani:
a more neutral accent he puts on to be more understandable

More understandable? Speaking as a non-American, Bob has just about the most generic American accent ever, and I can't hear any difference at all in any of his videos. Preumably it's more noticeable to people familiar with the local accents over there, but I don't see how anyone could ever consider him difficult to understand.

Draconalis:
Did I misunderstand him, or did Bob just say he didn't like Brave?

I'm confused.

He did a blog review of it where he talks about how he didn't really think it was all that strong a movie. I don't really recall him saying he actively DISLIKED it or anything, but I know he thought it was fairly weak, especially for a Pixar film.

Bob, where's The War Z? I thought that would be one worth your review of harassing the crap out of it not matching up to source materials, but instead turning humans into nothing more than psychotic ants (no really, that's the inspiration the directors got).

As for Monsters University...meh. I agree wholeheartedly that it just didn't seem like something that you can do again when you realize that everything in the first 15 minutes of the movie is proven a lie. A prequel is just a longer addition to that lie.

Super Not Cosmo:
Damn Bob, you've really been letting that Townie accent of yours come out lately.

I know, I don't watch him a lot, but I noticed he sounded like Kripke from the Big Bang Theory this episode.

I knew it couldn't stand up to the original, since the original had a well, ORIGINAL plot, but I'm glad to see it can stand as a comedy movie with well liked characters. I guess this is going to be a ninety minute long Mikes Car short.

I really think Pixar has lost its touch. Cars was meh, never bothered with Cars 2, Brave is a half baked Disney pricess movie. The best that came from that publisher recently is Wreck it Ralph. Have they switched places?

Bob, has anyone ever told you that your slipping accent is incredibly distracting? I can't believe I haven't realized it till now.

Huh, what appeared to be a pointless sequel/prequel that doesn't actually suck? Colour me surprised.

Was it just me or was Bob talking slower than normal this week? Ah well, glad to hear Monsters University isn't another Cars 2 even if it isn't quite up with Toy Story 2

There's one thing I definitely like about Megaman being in Smash Brothers.

The main heroes of my fanfiction series are now together canonically.

CAPTCHA: you are happy

Damn straight, Captcha.

OT: You aren't alone in your opinion, Bob. A couple of the newspapers in my neck of the woods feel the same as you did. Generally: "Not a great movie, but still very good."

Gonna skip this one in the theaters. They're only making this and the Finding Nemo sequel because the contract Disney made Pixar sign insisted that they provide "bankable franchises" so they are under contract to produce sequels.

Every time I see someone knocking Brave it always confuses me a little, as I thought it was fantastic, easily one of my top five favorite Pixar movies. But then, I'm a sucker for Celtic lore and music, so it's possible that I'm biased. :P

As good as the opening sequence from Up? Brother, you had better be right about that, or else. You don't say something like that lightly.

And I'm really kind of getting tired of this constant jumping back and forth between newscaster accent and Boston accent business. Pick one and stick with it, at least for the duration of a single video.

bafrali:
Bob, has anyone ever told you that your slipping accent is incredibly distracting? I can't believe I haven't realized it till now.

Glad I'm not the only one who is drivin nuts by it. I have to shut the episode off if he does it too much. It's not even that either 'voice' is bad. It's just the god damn switching is so maddeningly annoying. I wonder if he watches each episode before posting it.

So it's not as awful as the trailers made it look but I can be comfortable in waiting for the dvd release instead as I have done with all of Pixars B-C tier films. The others being Cars and Brave.

I wish he'd reviewed World War Z, spare me from it.

WWZ isn't a patch on the book & barely follow the storys, heart or lore of it. It makes no real sense on its own merits & they put a happy ending on it as ugly as the boat not sinking in titanic.

do your self a favour, read the book, or even reread it. I've just downloaded the audio book.

fingers X'd for Pacific Rim

Just one point I would like to make, maybe because I really liked Monsters Inc. but I heard people ragging on this movie in trailers.

"Oh, its a prequel to monsters inc! It is going to inevitably suck! Pixar sucks now!"

Um, no. I have not seen anything in the trailers or otherwise which made me think that this would surely suck.

Zor

Has Bob always had that Boston accent? I just remember him saying certain things kinda differently in his past videos.

OT: Personally, I really liked this movie. Sure, being a prequel, I knew what was eventually going to happen, but I do like learning how it happened.

I really liked the introspective scenes between Mike and Sully towards the end. Personally, that's one of the things I loved about the first movie. They played off of each other very well in that movie, and they played off of each other very well in this movie as well.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here