Miracle of Sound: The Day the World Died (Metro: Last Light)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Day the World Died (Metro: Last Light)

The day the world died, nothing was learned.

Watch Video

Never learned before, why should the end of the world be any different?

This is probably one of the strongest lyrics you've written, Gav. Incredibly impressed!

Awesome work Gav, this really conveys the tone of the game (2033 at least, haven't played Last Light yet). I don't think there will be anyone saying "it doesn't suit the games", cos this has a similar style to the soundtracks. I especially like the part where the drums kick in, that just brings it all together for me.

Well, I liked it.

Huh. Y'know, it's times like this that I regret not knowing enough about music to be able to say anything more in-depth than, "Those noises made my ear-holes feel good."

Haven't actually got round to playing the game yet.

That was very powerful and poignant. So close to finishing the game too.

Edit: For the curious, the russian lyrics roughly translate to "The day, when the world died."

I'd say this is one of your best. Not only is it a good song in it's own right but both the the music and lyrics capture the essence of Metro perfectly.

Bravo!

Quite chilling and beautifully, brutally Russian. A great song that doesn't need the context of a game to be great; this one rocks on its own. Props to Justin for cutting the video so nicely with the music.

While I haven't played Last Light this does sound like it would fit in very well with Metro 2033 and I would assume the atmosphere hasn't changed too much.

Great song anyway.

Two-A:

For the curious, the russian lyrics roughly translate to "A day after the death of the world."

"The day, when the world died" would be a better translation.

Gavin never ceases to amaze. Great song, like the others.

Blind77:

Two-A:

For the curious, the russian lyrics roughly translate to "A day after the death of the world."

"The day, when the world died" would be a better translation.

Gavin never ceases to amaze. Great song, like the others.

Thanks, I'll correct my post. :)

Gotta be honest here, the song didn't seem creepy enough to me.

There's something about travelling through huge, (almost) pitch black tunnels with those ambient sounds of wind and rustling and clanging metal, with the ever looming possibility of being attacked by rabid mutated animals that just creeps me the hell out.

It's still a fine song, and it captures the grand scheme quite nicely. But I think it's the little things that make Metro a great game.

Captures the mood of the game pretty well, I really liked the lyrics too.

Only played the first Metro game briefly, but I can still say with utter conviction that you captured the atmosphere of the world beautifully. What I like is that you had a song with similar subject matter with "Beauty Bleak", or at least with a similar setting, but you could really see the thought and effort put into each song that represented the tone of each game; Beauty Bleak is echoey and empty sounding, but with a sense of wonder and curious optimism, whereas this feels like a group of people sitting around a fire in the Metro, singing this song in a desperate attempt to escape their soul-destroying surroundings. The world of Metro seems densely populated (in the Metro settlements, at least), yet somehow even more empty than the DC wasteland, and this song embodies that fantastically.
Really loving the fine detail you put into these songs now that you have longer to work on them Gav; can't wait til the next one!

The music was wonderful, this is without a doubt one of those songs that I will be going back to listen.
Also props to Justin for that video, it was great as well.

Too similar to Halfman's Song in tone and melody for my taste in the first half, the change into a more synth driven track near the end was interesting though.

CardinalPiggles:

There's something about travelling through huge, (almost) pitch black tunnels with those ambient sounds of wind and rustling and clanging metal, with the ever looming possibility of being attacked by rabid mutated animals that just creeps me the hell out.

It's still a fine song, and it captures the grand scheme quite nicely. But I think it's the little things that make Metro a great game.

Well the song is not about rabid mutated animals and creepiness, it's about the inherent sadness of man's never changing violent nature and inability to learn from our mistakes. So not for one moment was it intended to try and sound 'creepy' as that is not the theme it focuses on.

Amazing. I really liked the tone, and while you enjoy it, I'm happy you didn't do what you usually do, and have three tracks of you singing at once. It works for certain songs, but I'm happy you went solo on this.

MiracleOfSound:

CardinalPiggles:

Well the song is not about rabid mutated animals and creepiness, it's about the inherent sadness of man's never changing violent nature and inability to learn from our mistakes. So not for one moment was it intended to try and sound 'creepy' as that is not the theme it focuses on.

I got that fairly quickly. It just didn't resonate with what I expected from a Metro song is all.

This is why it's best to go in with no expectations. I never learn from my mistakes ;)

I really liked the lyrics to this one, and it really does fit the mood of the song quite well.

I haven't played the game, but given how depressing the song is then the game's atmosphere is probably just as bleak.

I really enjoyed the song though.

Aww, I was hoping for some balalaika action :P

Seriously though, this was superb, and I felt it really captured the very bleak feel of the Metro games, and the subject matter of the song was very nicely related to the games' themes as well. Very powerful, very moving, and definitely an instant download once it comes out on Bandcamp.

Haunting and soulful. I couldn't imagine a more appropriate song for that game... A song about war and how war never changes. Beauty and bleak at the same time.

That gives me an idea, you should do a Fallout song called Beauty Bleak.
*ehem*

Another great song...How do you do that so often?!? Hauntingly beautiful...I always love the slower parts of your songs a bit too much...More ability to sit back and revel in the music I guess...All in all a great song as usual...

If this song doesn't prove you as a lyrical genius, Gav, nothing will. Bravo on another masterpiece good sir, bravo indeed.

Very somber and philosophical. I like it.

Will you be performing it at the expo? ;)

The song got particularly terrific once the orchestra and drums kicked in. I wonder, what were your influences for this one?

Too heavy and too sad for my Russian ears. Даешь калинку-малинку на бабалайке верхом на медведе и на фоне ядерного взрыва? :3

Wow Gav, this is very soulful. I have not played the games, but this song has a very definite ambience that, even though sad, is delicious to my ears. Congrats Gav! As my for my particular tastes, you're on a roll lately. Scheduling this on bandcamp purchase.

A rather nice and smooth blend of western vocal style with the old soviet eastern one (not quite the aim I suppose but it might simply be the fact that you are singing English though, sounds nice nonetheless), the 'e' in umer and 'i' in mir could have sounded a bit different perhaps but not all regions speak alike.

Anyway, well done as always.

5-0:
The song got particularly terrific once the orchestra and drums kicked in. I wonder, what were your influences for this one?

There were no particular musical influences really, just me trying to recreate the feelings I felt while going through Metro's story :) Someone did point out a Radiohead-esque feel to the song though, which I guess is fair.

MiracleOfSound:

5-0:

There were no particular musical influences really, just me trying to recreate the feelings I felt while going through Metro's story :) Someone did point out a Radiohead-esque feel to the song though, which I guess is fair.

It certainly felt "russian,"if that makes any sense. Was there some game track influence to it as well? Wouldn't know seeing as how I've never played the games, but it seemed to be like a folk song of sorts. A depressing one.

Somewhat late to the party this time around but it seems I lucked out this time. If I get the song correctly it is more about melancholic feelings rather than something very game-specific (seeing as I have not played the game this would've made it more difficult to fully understand the song).

Contrary to one comment I read you can achieve wonders when you leave your tenor range, and I really hope to have plenty more songs hitting the baritone ranges. Also 2:10 to 2:16 is so beautiful and incredibly well pulled off.

This song gains to much power if you listen to the song Anthem from the musical Chess and apply this mindset to the person telling the tale here. The feeling of hopelessness knowing the country you loved so much has been reduced to nothing before your eyes.

I had to hide the video from my view because spoilersomg, but the song was awesome! One of your best ones in my book.
Sadly I'll have to repeat what another poster said, I don't know music enough to discuss what I liked of it ;)

Did I spot an accordion in the music?

I am very disappointed that this was not sung with a thick russian accent.

Depressingly beautiful. Really powerful lyrics, and spot on for the feel of the game (which I finished literally 15 minutes ago)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here