We're The Good Guys Now

Pages PREV 1 2 3

This... this is perfect. It's subtle, clever, accurate and funny.

You said more in three frames than Extra Credits could have droned on about for a week.

First they made an anti-consumer policy to think only about their money, then they insulted their own userbase for going against it and still defended their unfair model claiming it was great. Then it apparently was so great that they actually abandoned it.

Worst part about it? Some people are actually going back to Microsoft after they pulled all that.

The mask is only half off now because the Kinnect is still at large.

Ok, two facts:

1. The Kinect is listening to your private conversations all the time because it's always on.
2. The CIA is spying on all americans, records all emails and telephone conversations.

But of course, the CIA would never dream of exploiting a device that can record audio and video of your private moments and even has built-in algorithms that analyze your facial expressions and link your mood to what kind of news you just heard.

Sansha:

You said more in three frames than Extra Credits could have droned on about for a week.

Subtle? really dude, you have a weird definition of subtle.

Aroddo:
Ok, two facts:

1. The Kinect is listening to your private conversations all the time because it's always on.
2. The CIA is spying on all americans, records all emails and telephone conversations.

But of course, the CIA would never dream of exploiting a device that can record audio and video of your private moments and even has built-in algorithms that analyze your facial expressions and link your mood to what kind of news you just heard.

I miss when this comic had a narrative arc and didn't make easy (and weak) jokes at Microsofts expense Like every other web comic.

TomWest:
Any commenters care to take a guess as to what percentage of the buying public will let this reversed decision affect their purchase choice? What percentage will even know there was a controversy?

My guess: 1-2% on the buying choice, less than 5% will know there was a policy decision made at all.

While there was a small chance that this debacle could have been the butterfly wing flap that caused a hurricane (and thus was probably worth MS reversing their decision), this will mostly be forgotten by the next news cycle.

The 10,000 knowledgeable hard-core that might decide to punish MS will be completely lost in the millions that will buy from Walmart and don't even know what DRM is... (Among my non-geek XBox 360-owning friends, only 1 of 5 had heard of the Red Ring of Death.)

It's fun to debate, but it's helpful to remember that we all exist inside a bubble that is statistically insignificant as far as real sales goes.

Well if all non gamers are on xbox prism and all gamers are on ps4 (or PC like me ^^) I'd call that a win/win ^^
especially because gamers buy more games in the long run and thius it will be the more attractive hardware for publishers and developers.

While I'm glad this happened, I'll add my voice to the chorus of folks believing this won't change a damn thing. Fans will be fans, and people will shell out for their Halo fix. Worse still, some people are actually lamenting the shared games feature. Guys - just mail your copies to your distant friends! How hard can that be?

"BUT MY CONVENIENCE! YOU HURTSSSSS IT! MY PRECIOUSSS CONVENIENCE!"

Oh, come off it. We did well before this Orwellian smorgasbord, we'll do well enough without it.

Nimcha:
All this focus on tangential stuff is very annoying. With a new console come new games, that's what all the attention should be on. But neither Microsoft nor 'the internet' seems to care about that. :(

Yeah, the ability to actually play them should be completely irrelevant to the purchasing of a console.

On a related note, would you like to buy my console? It's a brick with "console" written on it. Gears of War and Uncharted are both coming to it....

Sansha:

More like several weeks, while missing the most salient points and predicting a future that will never come.

Yeah....I'm not buying it. That it was a joke or the Xbone,Mattrick.

Z of the Na'vi:

That is the scariest fucking thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

Seriously,add the Halloween theme there and it would fit.

If only things were really like this. He did at least recommend that as an offline user I get a Xbox 360, which works out wonderfully since I already have one, while ire, age, and disinterest will fill my library with many used games to enjoy until Xbox 2 is announced and Microsoft at least tries not to urinate on me on purpose.

rasputin0009:

Ya, I melted a PS3 slim right before Skyrim came out. Had it in a cupboard running for hours on end. No airflow realky fucked it. I just bought a new one when I got Skyrim because I was just too excited for that damn game. I might buy one of those laptop fans and put that underneath the PS4 just in case.

I think "New Generation Console" and "Cupboard" don't mix anyway... I expect that even the WiiU generates to much heat.

Z of the Na'vi:

That is the scariest fucking thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

Oh..oh god! It's looking back at me.

That's better.

HAHAHAHA... Pretty much what happened... let M$ know that consumers are NOT their bitches... we OWN their stock! by buying / not buying their products! "...ownership is changing..." "...we have a system that is offline, it's called Xbox 360..." is NOT the way to comment to your costumers that are paying for their "hobbies" so you can sent your kids to college...

Sony is smart, smirk, but smart. They know what their consumer/customers want, and they deliver just that...

Ultrajoe:
There's two possibilities here; They meant to do this all along as some sort of perverse PR trick, or they honestly needed a wave of revulsion to tell them their insane schemes were a little on the nose.

And both of these options are terrible, terrible things.

"Keough answered this speculation by saying "We're not that dumb, and we're not that smart"

It's about New Coke but I think it fits this conspiracy theory just as well.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here