The Big Picture: Jawsome

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Jawsome

MovieBob takes us to the streets with his take on Street Sharks.

Watch Video

Not sure i Ever Saw Street Sharks, But i Do know i had there Toys, another good big picture bob, keep it up

A little early for Shark Week Bob :P

The 90's: Where Bad Guys had eyepatches and Good Guys had rollerblades. We will ne'er see that like again.

And now that I think about it, Bob is right: There isn't really anything particular I remember about the Street Sharks other than the fact that it existed. It's kinda like Pogs: just quietly there in the background of my nostalgia.

So now Biker Mice from Mars?

Ah, I'm so glad you did this one, Bob. I've always thought that these guys and the Extreme Dinosaurs are basically the entire mid-90s in a compact package.

Never owned any of the Street Sharks toys myself, but I watched the hell out of the show.

You could probably do an entire SERIES talking about shows like this. You know, those shows based around groups of between 3-6 non-human crime fighters that were trying to cash in on the Ninja Turtles fad. I mean, other than these two, there's Mummies Alive, Vanpires, Biker Mice from Mars, Stone Protectors (which you already covered), and I could swear there was a version of this featuring talking dog people, and another one featuring monkey-men (like Planet of the Apes in space).

EDIT: I have since been informed that the two shows I am thinking of are Road Rovers and Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys.

God... Bob... that was boring. No offense to you, but that was just duuuullllllll. And I blame the subject, not the writer. It is just not an interesting subject. Like you said, obscure to cause confusion, but recognizable enough to get a good laugh.

Also:

So I guess that if you're going to make reference to some 90's cartoon show, you better be prepare to do an episode on it!

Also, what? No mention to El Swordo (I thought his name was En Garde)? Well I thought he had a cool name.

Also heh, I remember Extreme Dionsaur. I even bought that Stegosaurus which I admit I bought it out of greed back then (I was greedy as a kid).

Amazing that you can get Street Sharks on DVD but Gargoyles still has episodes not released. It makes me sad :(

I grew up in the "golden age" for watching shows like this, TMNT, Megaman, He-man, Transformers etc. I enjoyed Street Sharks for its silliness. The Go-Bots, Cadillac and Dinosaurs, and Dino-Riders were other series I found to share this aspect.

i was just about to comment about extreme dinosaurs... the BOOM you brought them up. good stuff as always.

Saw enough of Street Sharks to agree, that it ain't a bad show. It's pretty much around the same level as other shows back in the day such as Mummies Alive and such, and worth a watch if you got a nice bong, Family size bag of cheetos, and a free saturday.

I'm calling it now - one of the upcoming episodes is the mentioned "Extreme Dinosaurs".

I don't remember Street Sharks but i do remember watching Xtreme Dinosaurs. Yeah... it was pretty much what you'd expect.

Also, if i should ever have my own Rockband i will strongly considern naming it "A Whole Gang of Poochies".

I can't remember whether i prefered Street Sharks or Extreme Dinosaurs as a kid, all i know is i would have bought the toy without the show XD

So Extreme Dinosaurs is a 90's version of Dinosaucers.

Oh, the 90s. SOOO many "mutant/superhero/monster" hero shows.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Street Sharks
Biker Mice from Mars
Extreme Dinosaurs
Mutant League
Mummies Alive!
Gargoyles
Creepy Crawlers
Skysurfer Strykeforce
King Arthur and the Knights of Justice
Toxic Crusaders
Stone Protectors
Cowboys of Moo Mesa

Can anybody think of any others?

Man, I used to watch Street Sharks all the time when I was a kid... I want to get the DVD just so I can revisit the series and see how awful it truly was. Either way, I wouldn't mind a reboot to the series, though I know that's not going to happen.

Thought this was the long-overdue Jabberjaws episode. Still insightful. I watched this show as a kid and I think even then I kind of rolled my eye at it.

Still no Biker mice from Mars episode.I am dissapoint.

the antithesis:

No Dinosaucers was more of an attempt to cash in on the transformers/gi-joe action figure craze(which sadly there was never a Dinosaucer toy line) while extreme dinosaurs was a TMNT wannabe.

As a 90's kid, I definitely remember Street Sharks, but you're right, it's obscure, but recognizable enough, although I seriously didn't remember much about that show, I guess it was just forgettable overall.

Also, I swear there was another antropomorphic dinosaur show, I don't remember how it was called*... but good call, this isn't the 90's month, but it'd be nice if in the next episode you cover the Extreme Dinosaurs, it sounds painfully campy... and I'm interested :)

I'm still waiting for Swat Kats, Bob ;)

*YES!, it was the Dinosaucers... they were called something else here in Mexico, I don't remember... but YES!, it's them! :D

Lol. Well as bad as Street Sharks was it was just the trend of everything going EXTREME. Heck Most People have agreed never to mention GIJOE Extreme since well.. no need to go into them. But how about you mention some of the good shows from the 90's. While Gargoyles got a lot of love there's little mention of Exosquad and Mighty Max. Both series being rather memorable since they actually dealt with the idea of death in a relatively mature way. It was something that happened to everyone... bad or good.

Wow. I remember this show. Yeah, now that you mention it, I couldn't tell you much about it, though. I didn't even remember the villains. Like, at all. Probably tells you how much it meant to me.

The Sharks themselves, I barely remember beyond recognizing them as characters from Street Sharks. So, if there was any doubt, I can't really say much about this one. I do remember enjoying it some, and watching it, but it was always more a show of convenience than actual desire, I think. Like Nostalgia Critic said about Captain Planet, you watched it because it was on and there was nothing better to watch.

Trishbot:
Oh, the 90s. SOOO many "mutant/superhero/monster" hero shows.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Street Sharks
Biker Mice from Mars
Extreme Dinosaurs
Mutant League
Mummies Alive!
Gargoyles
Creeper Crawlers
Skysurfer Strykeforce
King Arthur and the Knights of Justice
Toxic Crusaders
Stone Protectors
Cowboys of Moo Mesa

Can anybody think of any others?

T-rex
Mighty Ducks(no that did happen)

I remember having some of the toys, and I thought they were pretty cool back in the pre-double-digit age days. Don't remember the show being too spectacular, Swat Kats had that on lockdown, but for what it was they at least did something with the premise.

Leemaster777:
Ah, I'm so glad you did this one, Bob. I've always thought that these guys and the Extreme Dinosaurs are basically the entire mid-90s in a compact package.

Never owned any of the Street Sharks toys myself, but I watched the hell out of the show.

You could probably do an entire SERIES talking about shows like this. You know, those shows based around groups of between 3-6 non-human crime fighters that were trying to cash in on the Ninja Turtles fad. I mean, other than these two, there's Mummies Alive, Vanpires, Biker Mice from Mars, Stone Protectors (which you already covered), and I could swear there was a version of this featuring talking dog people, and another one featuring monkey-men (like Planet of the Apes in space).

The last two you're talking about are more than likely Road Rovers (which was done by Steven Spielberg's animation group and was trying to be more or less a parody of this trend) and Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys (Which had more in common with stuff like Star Fox or Bucky O'hare) respectfully.

MY CHILDHOOD HAS BEEN VALIDATED

now do "cowboys of moo mesa", bob.

I'm getting a little bored of these 'Bob talks about something i barely remember from 20 years ago' episodes, isnt this supposed to be the BIG picture?

the antithesis:

I loved old 80's theme songs.
I mean, DAMN, that guy is just crooning over the title of the show. "DINOSAUCERRRRRRS!!!!!"

I think the only theme song to get more epic than that was Jayce and the Wheel Warriors.

Glad Bob got around doing a retrospective on Street Sharks. I recall seeing the show and while the designs for the sharks looked great, they lacked distinguishable personalities. If Mattel ever has a crazy notion to reboot this franchise in one form or another, I wouldn't mind seeing the four brothers with their own identities and not just an EXTREME template where each brother has a different hobby.

LordTerminal:

Leemaster777:

The last two you're talking about are more than likely Road Rovers (which was done by Steven Spielberg's animation group and was trying to be more or less a parody of this trend) and Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys (Which had more in common with stuff like Star Fox or Bucky O'hare) respectfully.

Ah, thanks man. Found them.

Also, since I'm sure alot of people probably don't remember it, even though I already said it, here's the ONLY clip of Vanpires I could find on Youtube. (seriously, I cannot find a SINGLE OTHER CLIP of this show. Not even the intro.)

Wow this looks stupid.

Oh my god. I still have a toy from Xtreme Dinosaurs! The green one! I never actually knew where it was from till now.

I'm actually quite glad I watched this now.

WoahDan:
I'm getting a little bored of these 'Bob talks about something i barely remember from 20 years ago' episodes, isnt this supposed to be the BIG picture?

The Big Picture is just a catchy name. It's always been intended to be a soapbox for Bob.

Edit: Fixing grammar.

"Personality-wise, they're all kind of the same guy, and that guy is a quintessentially-boring mid-'90s douche-nozzle."

So it's ripping off the TMNT comic rather than the cartoon, then.

(Yes, the Mirage TMNT comic was terrible. Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird should be supplicating themselves at David Wise's feet for turning their badly-written piece of tripe, notable only for being a violent comic book at a time when that was still a novelty, into something worth remembering.)

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here