The Very Last of Us

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Very Last of Us

Why doesn't she share?

Read Full Article

Well, that's teenage girls for you. Ask anyone who has a sister. I just finished The Last of Us yesterday and I did wonder how long did she have that knife? B@&h.

Haven't played The Last of Us, so I'm not sure I get this.

Grey Carter:
Why doesn't she share?

Because how would that be funny? Honestly though when your traveling companion is a man three times your size that you barely knew before the trip started, you can't exactly blame her for taking precautions.

Also:
Oh Joel? Hey Joel! Hey Hey Joel hey!
WHAT!?!
Knife!

Justin Bieber had a knife all the time?

canadamus_prime:

Neither have I, but I'd imagine the joke stems from the fact that - it being a post-apocalyptic world - you've gotta "build" weapons with duct tape and broken glass while, judging by luvd's comment, the girl has a perfectly good knife that she doesn't seem to be stabbing people with. :P

dude, civilised society may have ended, but that's still HER knife!

RJ 17:

canadamus_prime:

Neither have I, but I'd imagine the joke stems from the fact that - it being a post-apocalyptic world - you've gotta "build" weapons with duct tape and broken glass while, judging by luvd's comment, the girl has a perfectly good knife that she doesn't seem to be stabbing people with. :P

Yep. Through out the game your scrounging for sharp things to build shiv's that break. Then later in the game you play as Elle and low and behold, she's got a unbreaking knife. Not that that makes the level easy.

luvd1:
Well, that's teenage girls for you. Ask anyone who has a sister. I just finished The Last of Us yesterday and I did wonder how long did she have that knife? B@&h.

Very beginning she stabbed that military guy in the calf with it.

OT: DAMN YOU ELLEN!! Wait EllIe not ElleN so easy to mix them up.....

Yeah this was one of my major complaints with the game. They should not have said 20 years later.... You mean to tell me in 20 years you could not locate a damn kbar or a combat knife? Hell take a piece of REBAR from any one of the COLLAPSED BUILDINGS and roll part of it in a handle wrap some cloth around the part that looks like the top of a P and sharpen the shit out of the tip to get a stabbing point. You can even pick how long you want the stabbing point to be.

Or if you want to go fancy image

Or want to keep the infected further away?

It is not like you have TWENTY FUCKING YEARS to perfect this.....

Am I the only one that is seeing a Dune reference here? "May thy knife chip and shatter."

Yeah, that's why I had more fun playing Ellie than Joel.

The game actually makes you feel a bit more powerful when you play the 14 year old girl vs. the grown man. xD
But what can I say, Ellie is awesome.

:D Invincible Murder Knife!

thaluikhain:

Now now, Ellen Page has feelings.

Combustion Kevin:
dude, civilised society may have ended, but that's still HER knife!

He should have asked nicely.

Zachary Amaranth:

thaluikhain:

Apparently she had her face ripped off by a naughty dog, I think she'd be more concerned with that.

Eh, I hate to nitpick (actually, I love it to death), but this is one thing that's always bugged me about post-apocalyptic games: everything always stays broken.

I realize it's part of the gameplay to have to scrounge and scavenge for limited resources, but it's not difficult to create new tools and weapons with the crap you have lying around your neighborhood. That there isn't one person making new knives, lights, guns (gunpowder is easier to make than meth), cars, etc, is what I find most unrealistic.

thaluikhain:

Zachary Amaranth:

thaluikhain:

Apparently she had her face ripped off by a naughty dog, I think she'd be more concerned with that.

If the responses from the internet are true, she's an entitled rabid feminazi lesbian who wants to destroy all men-folk for enjoying video games without PC protagonists.

...They could be overreacting, but I doubt the internet would overreact to someone being asked a question.

Anyway, if someone ripped my face off, I think I'd seek medical attention.

Another good joke would be

Zachary Amaranth:
If the responses from the internet are true, she's an entitled rabid feminazi lesbian who wants to destroy all men-folk for enjoying video games without PC protagonists.

...They could be overreacting, but I doubt the internet would overreact to someone being asked a question.

Heh, I didn't know that, last time I checked she was just very annoying and rumoured to be a lesbian. I'm not up to date with my vitriol.

thaluikhain:
Snip.

Zachary Amaranth:
Snip.

Just wanted to point out that Ellen Page isn't the voice actor for Ellie. That would be Ashley Johnson.

OT: Durability in games can be so contrived sometimes. Like the fact that melee weapons and shivs break, but your gun never jams or needs to be disasembled and cleaned.

As a note, Ellie does end up helping you stab stuff at times, so it's not like the knife goes completely to waste.

Scribblesense:
Eh, I hate to nitpick (actually, I love it to death), but this is one thing that's always bugged me about post-apocalyptic games: everything always stays broken.

I realize it's part of the gameplay to have to scrounge and scavenge for limited resources, but it's not difficult to create new tools and weapons with the crap you have lying around your neighborhood. That there isn't one person making new knives, lights, guns (gunpowder is easier to make than meth), cars, etc, is what I find most unrealistic.

Indeed. Oh how did humanity survive without electricity?

rembrandtqeinstein:
Another good joke would be

Watched my roommate play through most of that section.

Zachary Amaranth:

Because as we all know, polygons is emotions, and Ellen Page has lots of polygons!

Now, so Ellie had an unbreakable ninja knife of doom the whole time. Question: Why the fuck hasn't Joel looted a Walmart or something and gotten a decent knife? Those stores have a fuckton of them. Maybe he's just an idiot. I don't know.

Imp Emissary:

The game actually makes you feel a bit more powerful when you play the 14 year old girl vs. the grown man. xD

I found Ellie to be much more fragile since my playstyle was: sneak, get found, isolate the enemy, close the distance then bash their face in to conserve ammo/look badass. With Ellie open melee combat was impossible without being grabbed as you try and cut them with that little dinky knife. I'd really just prefer Joel's fists to that letter opener, especially since her knife takedowns were anything but stealthy.

Yeah it's really odd that Joel hasn't gotten a hold of a real knife in the 20 or so years after the collapse.

philosophicalbastard:

Imp Emissary:

I found Ellie to be much more fragile since my playstyle was: sneak, get found, isolate the enemy, close the distance then bash their face in to conserve ammo/look badass. With Ellie open melee combat was impossible without being grabbed as you try and cut them with that little dinky knife. I'd really just prefer Joel's fists to that letter opener, especially since her knife takedowns were anything but stealthy.

A difference in experiences I guess.

I pretty much found that Ellie played about the same as Joel in a fire fight, and I was able to kill with the knife without getting noticed that much.

Though yeah, she isn't as good with close combat as Joel, :D but she can shank all the clickers she wants!

philosophicalbastard:

Imp Emissary:

Just grab a bottle/brick, throw to unbalance enemy, and immediately knive them in the face for an instant kill. Works wonders.

Panel four. Check out dat bulbous fungally infected clicker butt.

This comic portrays my exact thoughts when I got to...

Why would even a makeshift shiv break after only two uses anyway? Joel's crafting must be pretty weak in the first place.

Does anyone know if the E3 demo was really scripted?

RJ 17:

canadamus_prime:

from what I've seen, she only stabs one person, in a cutscene.

in gameplay she is more likely to throw bricks and bottles, and only after getting a gun and being told "for emergencies only", shoot everyone the instant that they might of seen you two.

Marik2:
Does anyone know if the E3 demo was really scripted?

Yeah it was, but the end result is basically the same. Or should I say, the "feel" of the E3 demo is very much in the final game.

thaluikhain:

Heh, I didn't know that, last time I checked she was just very annoying and rumoured to be a lesbian. I'm not up to date with my vitriol.

I seem to be a vitriol magnet. It's my other super power. My first being pattern recognition.

Hunter85792:

Just wanted to point out that Ellen Page isn't the voice actor for Ellie. That would be Ashley Johnson.

Errr...That's nice, but neither of us said anything indicating otherwise.

Maxtro:
Yeah it's really odd that Joel hasn't gotten a hold of a real knife in the 20 or so years after the collapse.

It's an alternate reality where most items were made out of cotton candy.

They were a truly disposable (and edible) society, which is why they met their downfall.

Or, at least, that's what I choose to imagine.

ThingWhatSqueaks:

This.

Letting her keep the knife made sense. While Joel could easily pummel folk into submission with his fists, Ellie has neither the reach or the strength to do so. With the knife she's got at least a chance of holding her own if needed.

I found she did jump on things and go stab happy pretty often if Joel got grabbed. Didn't always take them down but it gave me enough time to get up and swing a two by four into their teeth.

JonB:
Panel four. Check out dat bulbous fungally infected clicker butt.

Well there's the problem. Joel should have aimed for the neck! They should go down quicker that way! 20 years of drinking really messed up his aim (among other things).

Kalezian:
and only after getting a gun and being told "for emergencies only", shoot everyone the instant that they might of seen you two.

When I read this I immediately imagined the girl as some kind of deadeye quick-shot hitman, just nailing headshot after headshot before you even realized there were people there yourself. xD

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here