Escapist News Now: Ellen Page Vs. Naughty Dog

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ellen Page Vs. Naughty Dog

Ellen Page says she's not appreciative that Ellie, a character from Naughty Dog's The Last of Us, looks like her.

Watch Video

Oh fuck off Ellen Page, go make more movies where you listen to Animal Collective and Of Montreal or something. It takes a certain kind of person to care about likeness issues, especially when there is less than no evidence supporting their claim.

I think there is sufficient differences in the final release version of ellie over the original early designs for it to avoid legal parties.

But at the end of the day, Naughty Dog did, quite obviously, use Ellen Page's likeness when modelling ellie, even if it was only a placeholder. I'm kind of surprised by this, it sounds like Ellen wasn't even consulted by Naughty Dog and if that's the case I can see how this could be a problem for Ellen.

It depends how the matter is judged... from the perspective of an entire production process or by the final product.

I doubt this will go beyond some letters/calls to and fro, but you never know.

EDIT: I'd also like to note that the coverage from this site seems to paint it as a far worse issue then Ellens initial reaction. As far as I remember she just said, "I should probably be flattered, but (because I'm currently in another game) I'm not sure* I appreciate it".

*I can't remember if she was definitely unappreciative of it, or conflicted.

That's a far cry from being a "VS" scenario. Even so, it is at naughty dogs feet if this does explode, but given the success of The Last of US, I can only see Ellen being torn apart by angry fans.

I think the real problem here is that Ellen Page looks too much like "generic teenage girl", which is part of what got her cast in Juno to begin with. Can't help that sometimes other "generic teenage girl" video game models will look similar.

Yeah. For some reason the games industry seems to have a weird thing for Ellen Page.

Not a crush. More like a desire to be her father figure or something.

S'creepy.

Avaholic03:
I think the real problem here is that Ellen Page looks too much like "generic teenage girl", which is part of what got her cast in Juno to begin with. Can't help that sometimes other "generic teenage girl" video game models will look similar.

Freaking exactly! Hmmm, let's create a character model to look like your average brown haired, white, middle-class girl. Oh, she kinda of looks like Ellen Page? That's strange, because she also looks like a hefty portion of the girls I went to middle school, high school, and university with.

This is the sentence I said right after I saw the trailer for Last of Us.

"Ha, this and Beyond Two Souls. I'm glad Ellen Page is working in so many high profile games"

After hearing this news I'm reminded of this

Damn Naughty Dog, you got her face.

mokes310:

Avaholic03:

Freaking exactly! Hmmm, let's create a character model to look like your average brown haired, white, middle-class girl. Oh, she kinda of looks like Ellen Page? That's strange, because she also looks like a hefty portion of the girls I went to middle school, high school, and university with.

Another person who agrees with this, I have few friends I knew at school that looked like her. She needs to get over it, take it as a compliment if she was the inspiration or something. They weren't selling the game with "her" (being Ellen Page) as a selling point.

Good God, how the fuck is this even considered news? Ellen Page makes a dismissive remark and everyone loses their fucking minds. Ridiculous.

Honestly, I just don't see it. Ellie just looks like Generic Little Girl #382 while Ellen Page just looks like a bitch. Hey-ohhhhh!

I do find it funny that character Ellen believes stole her soul likeness is named Ellie. :P

Grape_Bullion:
Oh fuck off Ellen Page, go make more movies where you listen to Animal Collective and Of Montreal or something. It takes a certain kind of person to care about likeness issues, especially when there is less than no evidence supporting their claim.

"Less than no evidence"?

Such as, say, the girl having essentially the same name?

Or the fact that they suddenly adjusted Ellie's appearance right as Ellen Page signed up for Two Souls, "by coincidence"?

Or how about the fact that dozens of people, including me, totally thought it was Ellen Page and this was the game she was acting in?

Yeah, I can see why she's annoyed.

Correct me if i'm wrong but wasnt she cast for the voice of Ellie back when the game was in production?

Although, now that I think about it it might have been someone just saying it sounded and looked like Ellen Page in early previews.

Oh my God, this entire video gave me deja vu

I'm freaking out

I'm totally freaking out

Did Ellen Page get offered the part of Ellie first? Ellie looked exactly like Ellen Page before the changes after the changes Ellie still looks a hell of a lot like Ellen Page. I think it is cool, I'd be more upset that Ms. Page wasn't given the opportunity to voice, and Mo-cap Ellie.

Grape_Bullion:

Our face isn't our meal ticket.

Ellen Page's face is.

As 'non-news' as this might be, Likenesses are a big deal in the Media aspect of things. Also, given Naughty Dog's comments that it's 'merely coincidence', they themselves are giving validity to Page's comments. Actually, by merely mentioning she's bothered by it and not doing anything else, she's being really cool. If you followed the link, you could see she could very well sue and get a pay day.

chozo_hybrid:

mokes310:

Avaholic03:

Another person who agrees with this, I have few friends I knew at school that looked like her. She needs to get over it, take it as a compliment if she was the inspiration or something. They weren't selling the game with "her" (being Ellen Page) as a selling point.

Same here. The first time I saw Ellen Page, I thought she had a striking appearance to like 30 girls I went to school with eons ago.

OT: Is it me, or does she seem to be perpetually trapped in a specific age? Is it some kind of glandular dysfunction?

Well, I remarked before that if Last of Us ever turns into a movie that Page would be perfect to be cast as Ellie.

Well, as long as she isn't going as far as suing them, I think she's more than entitled to make such a comment. I could certainly see a passing resemblance, and certainly one could argue that they're the same "type". But just as "manic pixie dream girl" doesn't belong to one particular actress, neither does "waifish teenage girl who's tougher than she looks" belong solely to Ellen Page.

Grape_Bullion:

Before you go ranting about Ellen Page go read what she wrote. This is a bunch of nonsense getting stirred up by sites like The Escapist.

Avaholic03:

Completely agree with you here. The only similarity I see is the small build. Their faces are very different, in my eyes.

This all just reminds me of the most annoying view that any band with a female singer sounds like Paramore.

"Ellen Page VS Naughty Dog?" Jesus, it was an off-handed comment on a Reddit AMA. How the fuck is this news?

I'm actually surprised hearing this; I haven't been following The Last of Us on account of not having a PS3 and I didn't know it wasn't Ellen Page until just now.

So generic face actress thinks generic face game char rips off her likeness.

If Ellie in TLAU were called Kelly or something she'd not notice the "likeness" at all, I bet.

Hardly news.

Somehow I think this hole thing could have been avoided by a change of hair colour or skin for that matter.
The question is "how cares?" Really if Page doesn't like it so what? Can you copyright your lifestyle/looks now?

See it as a compliment and move on, if this keeps happening in many other games we can come back to this discussion.

Ellen Page needs to get over herself. The diversity of the human race means that while most people will look completely different from one another, but on occasion, there will be people that look similar to you.

I know at least one person who resembles Ellen Page. Did she rip-off Ellen's look? Only if that person had time travel abilities, went to the future to see Miss. Page, then went back too the 90s.

I get the arguments saying that Ellie just looks like "Girl we all know", I do, but... she's not really the first person to mention this, is she? People were saying that Ellie looked like Ellen Page from the moment we first saw her.

I imagine what bothers her more than what the character actually looks like is the fact that so many people *do* think it's her, which is fair enough given that she's actually doing a game right now.

Yeah...... I heard she was in a game but did not know what one... I totally thought it was Last of Us until I started playing it and realized the voice was wrong. So yeah I think they did model the character after her. I do not think she freaked about it though just was weirded out that some people she did not know made a virtual version of her, without even talking to her.... Kinda creepy really.

Ellen Page is right in this case. Before I knew Beyond Two Souls was going to be "the game with Ellen Page", I thought The Last of Us was it. Ellie looks a lot like Ellen and acts like her.

I wouldn't like it either if someone would use my likeness for something without my approval.

Ellen Page looks like one of the good one's in Hollywood, and I can understand her feelings regarding Ellie. At first, Ellie did strike a resemblance to Ellen Page! The voice, the appearance and even the name had everyone asking the question whether Page was involved with this game. Or if Naughty Dog wanted to pay tribute with it or something. But, they changed Ellie's design since then, and she looks a lot less like Page. With that said, the issue is still there and Page IS working on a game of her own, where her likeness is being used. Conflict of interest, really, and she answered the question as well as she could have.

Maybe I'm just bad with faces, but I don't see it. Maybe the comparison photo in this video wasn't the best. I don't really have a dog in this race, though. Seems like Ellen Page is just saying it wasn't cool, not actually doing anything.

ObsidianJones:

As 'non-news' as this might be, Likenesses are a big deal in the Media aspect of things. Also, given Naughty Dog's comments that it's 'merely coincidence', they themselves are giving validity to Page's comments. Actually, by merely mentioning she's bothered by it and not doing anything else, she's being really cool. If you followed the link, you could see she could very well sue and get a pay day.

Actually no, she can sue, but she probably wouldn't win.
Creative works (including video games, both AAA and indy titles are protected under the first amendment).

The First Amendment and the laws of many states also protect your use of someone's name or likeness in creative works and other forms of entertainment. Included in this category are things like novels that include mention of real-life figures, historical fiction, movies based loosely on real-life events, "docudramas," works of art that incorporate an individual's photo or image, and acts of parody directed at an individual.

If you bluntly take her image and use it to sell a product, yes you can be sued. However, Ellie is a fictional character in a fictional universe, used to tell a story. In addition to that, her features have since been changed enough to where it wouldn't hold water in court. There's a reason why Family Guy still exists and it's not necessarily because Fox has good lawyers.

That being said, it was a dismissive comment and she is being really cool about it, and I do believe people are giving this story more spotlight than it deserves.

Looking through The Art of The Last of Us and seeing the original concepts and designs Ellie went through I'm siding with Naughty Dog and saying it was just a coincidence. We're getting more and more realistic character models as time goes on. It's only natural that eventually they'll start looking like other people.

Just happened in this case to be a Hollywood actress.

Plus Page just made a passing comment, no where saying she was suing ND for this. Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill because it was a slow news week.

lacktheknack:

"Less than no evidence"?

Such as, say, the girl having essentially the same name?

Or the fact that they suddenly adjusted Ellie's appearance right as Ellen Page signed up for Two Souls, "by coincidence"?

Or how about the fact that dozens of people, including me, totally thought it was Ellen Page and this was the game she was acting in?

Yeah, I can see why she's annoyed.

You're saying similarities and genuine likeness are the same thing. I'll agree that she looks a bit like EP, but nothing depicted by the character has anything to do with EP outside of some general physical similarities and (sort of) her name, both of which couldn't be claimed by Page as they're just that, similarities.

ObsidianJones:

Our face isn't our meal ticket.

Ellen Page's face is.

Sure her face is her meal ticket, and she's had more than enough compensation for it. Naughty Dog made a character that looks a bit like someone in the media, how extremely unlikely and improbable. As for your link, the hypothetical case would happen in California, where likeness rights are very defined and precise. Even if the case were heard, it doesn't take a genius to figure she wouldn't win.

First of all, I can see how this is a problem for Paige (and more importantly her corporate handlers and lawyers probably) I kept getting Last of Us and David Cage's project mixed up because they both seem to be staring a mo-capped Ellen Paige. And having been under the mistaken impression for a while that Last of Us WAS the game Paige was voicing for.

As for the "problem" aspect recurring legal action between profession and college athletes versus sports games makers that are boldfacedly portraying them (with the same stats and background face and slightly different names) lays down a pretty strong precedent that Naughty Dogs has NOTHING to worry about.

David Cage is probably asking her to do it because as Mr.Sterling pointed out
His game stars Ellen Paige

No one is buying last of us because they were all "WOAH this girl on the cover looks like that girl from Juno! I must purchase this product right...now"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here