Zero Punctuation: Prince of Persia

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Never was much of a fan of the POP series.

BrightDeathFriend:

ikari_matt:
it was okay i guess, a "meh" maybe dont know, its too early to care that much, yet i want to check it out also i want to hear more about yathzees game damage show ;)

Yeah, good point! What's actually gonna happen with gamedamage? Would I be the only person here who thought that the gamedamage pilot was pretty good?

Nope I thought it was terrific.

Yep, been waiting for this review. Love the sight gags.
I'll probably never play this game, but that was an enjoyable 5 minutes.

"PRESS BLOCK YOU DOZY TWAT"

:D good on you!

Great review of a simply awful game!

Ubisoft is holding a smoking gun and staring at a smoking ankle.

xchaveyx:
Great game if you overlook the combat

You made me spill my corn flakes with that terribly thought out comment. Saying it's a good game if you overlook the combat is like saying a Kenyan runner would still win world records if he had only one leg.

Wow, spot on about the lack of counterattack opportunities, and here I thought I was doing something wrong. Oh, and if you do the "City of Lights" in the order it's unlocked, the game freezes in the 360 version, that brings down the quality of the game for me a few notches.

Ive been staying up till 4am (Australia) to see this, and was not dissapointed! Looking forward to more as the new year progresses.

Brokkr:
I think that this is the first ZP thread in a while that hasn't had the first 5 people banned for posting stupid stuff.

Yeah, they're thick but they'll learn eventually.

Happy new year folks.

I played it weeks ago and I found it to be a resounding "meh." The combat was truly awful in my opinion because since you can't die, it takes all the tension out of the combat at just makes it tedious.

I really wish I could say this was a good review. Sadly I did not laugh once in it. I have not play the new PoP sence the 2 and 3 where bad. I felt the story has been decent. I just have not had hope for the new one. I very rarely find game worth playing after there first one. I should give a rental try. I just hope it not short like all game now a days are.

Awesome like always Yahtzee :)

What Yathzee said is pretty much what some friends told me. Anyway, I ordered the game online yesterday. In few days I'll post my veredict.

Happy new year everybody

O the irony, i only just got PoP this morning :D

Playing it all day and i think its quite epic, sure their american voices are F*CKING ANNOYING but thats why god invented MEDIA PLAYER!

I guess he didn't play it to the end, he would have been kicked in the pills.

I found it very ironic that everything you do in the game for the 12-15 hours I played it was mmph mumble mumble at the end in order to set up the sequel. I mean, when you beat the game on the PS3 version, an achievement called To Be Continued... pops up, which is kinda anticlimactic.

And was it just my game or did the music cut out every now and then? Breaks the immersion when the audio track skips and the same when an enemy yells at you AFTER they've already fallen off a cliff. Might be just the PS3 version.

However, a good point I'd like to mention is the option to kill the generic baddies in between areas without having to fight them. Provided you get there in time, you can skip the "Push X To Not Die" exercise altogether, which is enjoyable in that you get to continue with the freerunning.

And finally, in the words of the Prince himself, "Run, jump, die. Run, jump, die, I think I'm getting the hang of this."

Another perfect review.
We all knew this was coming due to the many references to the prince of persia series being one of the few games that are accually good, so logically Yahtzee would want to clarify weather this one would be included into the magical goodness that has been going exstinct from this console generation.
Zero Punctuation is a pure, yet comedic, reviews that can spot the good in a new game.

I salute you, Yahtzee.

P.S.-I doubt Yahtzee will ever read this, but I believe some of the previous reviews were effected into a poorer light due to the console version. The Wii's Controls are unpredictable, the Playstation 3 rarely ever have any good games(Rachet and clank are the exception), and the 360 has the unexpected probability of blowing up or taking off as a compact jet engine.

I recomend that future reviews that deal with a console only verson game you use that console (If that wasn't already apparent), But any game that spans over multiple consoles should probably be played on the 360. Dispite the previously stated issues, I've come to understand that the 360 gives a general overview of the intended game play experience (the only issue is getting it to start up and stay in one piece).

But over all, Everything that Yahtzee says is pure gold that can be sold off to the highest bidder if you know the right people.

oh, i was waiting for this one! C:

thank you for another great review! it was both funny and fair. though my own opinions often differ i always look forward to wednesday, and you didn't disappoint.

i'm easy to please, i suppose, because i've just started Prince of Persia and i think it's wonderful! i will agree that the old combat system was much better, but i don't hate this one.

anyway, happy new year~

I loved the Prince of Persia series half to death, so I was of course eagerly awaiting this new addition (with a little anxiety).
I was extremely disappointed, its like the hideous younger sister of your partner leering over her should every time you go to kiss.
Whilst there are some nice smoothey smoothey jumpy bits, it all falls apart when it comes to the combat and story line.
Its another case of the developers trying to milk as much as they can out of a great franchise when they so clearly must let it die at the peak of its life.

"One step forward, two steps back."

That one sentence summed it up perfectly.

I'm glad he hit on the "contemporary american" thing, that's my biggest gripe with the game.

I've looked forward to this but now i think i've changed my mind.Yahtzee is always great.

Brokkr:
I think that this is the first ZP thread in a while that hasn't had the first 5 people banned for posting stupid stuff.

Yeah, and I was looking forward to that, too. Anyways, I actually liked the banter between Elika and the Prince. One of my main problems with PoP: The Sands of Time was that for the majority of the game the Prince was either completely silent or talking to himself.

Pretty good, but not your best. Enjoyed it though.

Brokkr:

I was about to point that out.

Jursa:
The game was great aside from the combat, especially when the "only one type of attack allowed" comes into play and when the claw attack is the only choice you go to quick time event hell...

Those parts are easy once you master Deflecting. Of course, they deflect too, so I had a few fights that were basically "deflect, counter attack, deflect, counterattack, rinse repeat"

Ranooth:
O the irony, i only just got PoP this morning :D

Playing it all day and i think its quite epic, sure their american voices are F*CKING ANNOYING but thats why god invented MEDIA PLAYER!

I agree. I loved the new PoP, minus their voices.

PumpItUp:
I found it very ironic that everything you do in the game for the 12-15 hours I played it was mmph mumble mumble at the end in order to set up the sequel. I mean, when you beat the game on the PS3 version, an achievement called To Be Continued... pops up, which is kinda anticlimactic.

And was it just my game or did the music cut out every now and then? Breaks the immersion when the audio track skips and the same when an enemy yells at you AFTER they've already fallen off a cliff. Might be just the PS3 version.

However, a good point I'd like to mention is the option to kill the generic baddies in between areas without having to fight them. Provided you get there in time, you can skip the "Push X To Not Die" exercise altogether, which is enjoyable in that you get to continue with the freerunning.

And finally, in the words of the Prince himself, "Run, jump, die. Run, jump, die, I think I'm getting the hang of this."

I see what you're saying about the ending

damocles23:
I've looked forward to this but now i think i've changed my mind.Yahtzee is always great.

Dude, rule of thumb, don't take Yahtzee so seriously that you let him dissuade you from getting a game. If you look at his reviews as anything other than humor you're missing the point.

I here him pointing out alot of faults but for some reason he is treating this game extra friendly. Not one of his best reviews...

A great review as always, it's nice to know that Ubisoft is still just a bunch of dumb pricks who take out the parts we actually like in a game, and add in pretty scenery to hide it.

iseko:
I here him pointing out alot of faults but for some reason he is treating this game extra friendly. Not one of his best reviews...

Dude, I think he's being extra friendly because he actually like it, at least to an extent. He's entitled to like a game, isn't he?

Never was a big fan of pop. But hilarious review none the less, Yay for Yahtzee! keep up the awesome work!! ^.^

The game is quite good if you just forget the combat although I was greatly annoyed by my American accent when I am supposed to be the Prince of PERSIA, a.k.a Iran and surroundings.

Although the platforming was too easy if you follow the laid out path it made for great fun when I started challenging my self. Say for example see if I could get to the other side without using the pillars and instead revert to wall running and using Elika´s double jump.

Sadly PoP is in a life threatening coma right now though and unless they bring back the mysteriously escaped developer who created the first Prince along with his sidekick and the great free running combat the franchise will have to be declared deceased after the next game.

I'm glad that he still admits the game has great parkour platforming and stunning visuals. I love the game, sure the combat is balls, but its not about the combat really, that's mostly an important device to advance the plot. (And yeah, the American accents annoyed me too)

I am overcome with some oddly high amount of glee at seeing a Planescape: Torment reference.

Fightgarr:
I'm glad that he still admits the game has great parkour platforming and stunning visuals. I love the game, sure the combat is balls, but its not about the combat really, that's mostly an important device to advance the plot. (And yeah, the American accents annoyed me too)

I agree.

a quite bad review with some things very wrong
maybe it's just beacose I own the PC version but I have never seen the game tell me when to block (except the QTE when you are nearly dead that gives you the chance to not start over the boss with 3/4 of it's health back), sure it has a lot of QTE but this one I didn't see. Beside the point of counteratack is to block at an exact moment so that the enemy is then open for further combos (of which there are quite a lot and I can't see how he misssed them since they are freking pointed out in the menu), but the interesting part is that all the atacks flow together in an awesome way, overall the game got an amazing flow since it isn't broken down by reloading at the last checkpoint, but each platform is basicly a checkpoint and the "loading" bar when you die is replaced by elika saving your ass.

and elika is probably one of the best new characters this year and the real hero of the new PoP, but then again that's just imo

yes the game is so-so, not "omg best game ever" but it is enjoyable and I had fun playing it.

oh and about the american accent: if I have to choose betwen a)american man/girl doing a very bad impression of an [insert relevant country here] accent or b)just plain english, I would take b any time. But then again I hate the various accents anyway (especialy the indian and russian one) and can't stand them in movies, tv or games except the italian-english one which is awesome

Sweet review and have a happy new year all ^_^

Once again, my Wednesday has been made.

I haven't tried this latest Prince of Persia yet, though I played Sands of Time through GameTap and I played Prince of Persia and Prince of Persia 2 back when they were little more than platforming Karateka.

That said, I've probably a pretty pure perspective on this latest take, and combined with Yahtzee's review I can come up with a simple definition: Severe Consolitus. All this button-mashing, googly-eyed Final Fantasy inspired graphics meshed with quasi-linear gameplay and cheap acrobatic tricks is undoubtedly tied to pleasing your average console player.

It'll probably sell unabashedly well in Japan. As for me, it's a big fat, "meh" and I think I'll wait a few years for it to hit GameTap. Meanwhile, me and the rest of the glorious PC master race will have to suffice for the irrational grindfest MMORPGs which are one of the few PC exclusive things left next to the benefit of mouse-driven real time strategy and first person shooter games.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here