Zero Punctuation: E3 2013

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

E3 2013

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews E3 2013.

Watch Video

Vergilthenew:
Or Deadpool?

Didn't that game just come out yesterday? Just saying...

So yeah the next console generation is still looking pretty bleak, just with slightly less DRM.

Liked this episode, still not a massive fan of the 2013 ZP but it's been consistently good for me since every episode after Star Trek.

Astro:
ERRUGHHHH NO THE LAST OF US?!

He said in the Remember Me review that he was doing E3 this week.

Astro:

I'm guessing its time will come next week, don't fret.

One of your best episodes so far ZP. Well done, the worst part for me was hearing people describe The Evil Within's chase sequence as "like something you'd see from Silent Hill 2" good to know that even people who like good games don't know why they are good. Also, no mention of The Last Guardian being put on indefinite hold? It was the only news outside of MGSV I actually cared about.

Possibly the most enjoyable disclaimer/footnote ever. Though I'm sure we'll find more compelling reasons to hate games being XBox One exclusives after the console comes out, just you wait.

Astro:

Hang on, I think I can translate the nerdrage: "Dear Yahtzee: Why did you not review The Last Of Us? I am slightly miffed and and making my thoughts so."

I honestly did think Yahtzee would like The Division, since people did say it was like what Watch-Dogs did last year (Speaking of which, odd you didn't bring Ubisoft up much or Star Wars Battlefront, but I'm assuming that's for Extra Punctuation), but then I remembered the Tom Clancy name on it and Yahtzee's less then steallar reaction to the brand.

Also enjoyed the speech at the end- quite eloquent, if I say so myself.

Ha! That was one hell of a friggin sweet episode. Did very much like the end little disclaimer there; nice to preempt the complainers. Haven't laughed so much at an episode for a while.

The Enquirer:

Vergilthenew:
Or Deadpool?

Yeah, but still.

That was a great episode. I haven't watched ZP in so long. Felt like a return to the basics... just taking the piss out of everything.

The nintendo part about the cat suits almost made me fall out of my chair. Also, return of the most beloved term spunkgargleweewee. I can feel the rage coming already.

Captcha: mouth watering

Yes Captcha my mouth was watering when Yahtzee mentioned Destiny. Didn't matter what he said about it.

I loved this episode in its entirety. The "disclaimer" was hilarious and you really shut down some of hype I had to Phantom Pain, considering that I've never played a Metal Gear game. Shine on you crazy diamond etc.

I also have a feeling that you hated Thfourief: The Foureifing But Not Really Since This is a Remake that you decided not to mention it here.

Seriously though, when did Backward's compatibility become a dirty word in consoles. I mean that was the main selling point of the PS2 (arguably one of the best selling consoles in recent history). Yeah, yeah I know the excuses for lack of backward compatibility are basically summed up as:

"We want you to buy the same games again"

Seriously, PC gaming is looking like it will truly shine this generation. Now that developers have gone past the 'let's make them upgrade their graphics hardware every 3 months to boost our nVidia/ATI shares.'.

The rise in the indie-dev market may also have something to do with that.

Very much enjoyed the ending disclaimer. A good summary of why both the soon to be gone and soon to arrive console generations have failed to interest me.

Exclusives? On proprietary systems?

I can hardly see the problem when when most games getting hyped at E3 routinely fail to distinguish or separate themselves from the usual focus-group market-tested dross.

Ryse: it's going to be legion... wait for it... dairy.

Ryse: The QTE

I wish I could curl up and press A to lick my testicles...

I have to say I'm a bit surprised he didn't go completely nuts on Thief considering what they showed at E3. When I was watching Garret get points for landing headshots and murdering guards I just assumed Yahtzee was chewing a wall in anger somewhere while writing this script, perhaps not though.

Anyway funny episode as always, the Dead Rising part had me cracking up when the xbox one kept slowly moving more and more onto the screen.

Urgggh. "Spunk gargle wee wee". I'm getting as tired of that joke as I am of the genre in which it intends to lampoon.

The rest of the vid was the tits though. Thanks Yahtzee. Mostly.

Brilliant episode. Also, I never get why people piss and moan about his choice of review. You know if he hadn't done an E3 review this week he'd be getting chewed out for that.

I like to think Yatzee throwing away the pasta art of the Half-Life lambda is symbolic of Valve's limiting Half-Life 3 news to pathetic rumors, if anything.

Valve missed a great opportunity to at least say "Well, since this next generation of consoles is strong enough for a PC-centric game engine, we are going to release Source 2 games on these new consoles years from now." PC gaming may be the "master race", but most people would still prefer everything already set up for all main sorts of entertainment in a fairly cheap box.

Don't worry, Yahtzee, there's still plenty wrong with the Xbone.

Evonisia:

Like that's going to stop the usual cries of "WHY DIDN'T YOU REVIEW (game I wanted reviewed) YAHTZEE?"

Zachary Amaranth:
Don't worry, Yahtzee, there's still plenty wrong with the Xbone.

Evonisia:

Like that's going to stop the usual cries of "WHY DIDN'T YOU REVIEW (game I wanted reviewed) YAHTZEE?"

Heh, true :)

Of course it'd be even funnier if he never reviews a game they want (obviously not this one he's said he's reviewing it). I wanted a Gears Judgment review in March but that was during the "I'm having a break from mature shooters" period he may or may not still be going through.

I do think it's funny how the only company who actually tries anything outside the box is Nintendo. AAA devs just HATE having to go for depth over spectacle

BigTuk:
Seriously though, when did Backward's compatibility become a dirty word in consoles. I mean that was the main selling point of the PS2 (arguably one of the best selling consoles in recent history). Yeah, yeah I know the excuses for lack of backward compatibility are basically summed up as:

From what I understand, it's not on the PS4 because including an extra Cell processor on the console would really jack up the cost. No idea why they couldn't have used an emulator or why it's not on the X-Box, but there you go.

OT: Great episode. I still feel like Yahtzee's being mildly hyperbolic about the next-gen's prospects, and I'm not sure why he's suddenly got a narc on for console exclusives, but his disclaimer at the end was still hilarious.

I get the feeling the mods are going to have some fun with the hammer further up from me.

OT: Pretty much bang on here. Ryse (or QTE: Rome Edition) looked especially awful. I mean really, what we saw was one long QTE. Who in their right mind thought that was fun?

BigTuk:
Seriously though, when did Backward's compatibility become a dirty word in consoles. I mean that was the main selling point of the PS2 (arguably one of the best selling consoles in recent history).

The Playstation 2 is the best selling gaming console of all time, about 200 million sales.

BigTuk:

Actually, considering how many consoles before the PS2 had backwards compatibility (precisely two straight out of the box, one released in '86 and the second released in '98), I'd say it's more a question of when did backwards compatibility become such a holy sanctum for gamers that couldn't be defiled by the evil console manufacturers.

Seriously, PC gaming is looking like it will truly shine this generation. Now that developers have gone past the 'let's make them upgrade their graphics hardware every 3 months to boost our nVidia/ATI shares.'.

The rise in the indie-dev market may also have something to do with that.

My PC has hardware from 2009. It still runs everything, indie or AAA, perfectly fine on mostly high settings.

I don't know if you're being facetious and engaging in hyperbole, but it's a fairly common misconception that you need to constantly upgrade your PC to stay on the curve for playing games, and it's just not true at all. I'll probably need to upgrade this or next year, but if it weren't for a new series of consoles being released I could probably get another two years out of my hardware at least.

hornedcow:

BigTuk:

From what I understand, it's not on the PS4 because including an extra Cell processor on the console would really jack up the cost. No idea why they couldn't have used an emulator or why it's not on the X-Box, but there you go.

OT: Great episode. I still feel like Yahtzee's being mildly hyperbolic about the next-gen's prospects, and I'm not sure why he's suddenly got a narc on for console exclusives, but his disclaimer at the end was still hilarious.

The problem with emulating the XBox 360 and PS3 is that it requires way too much computing power. Even the most powerful desktop PC doesn't have the power necessary to emulate the current gen consoles, the PS4 and Xbone certainly don't have the necessary processing power to do software emulation of the PS3 or 360. The only way to do backwards compatibility would be with a hardware solution, basically stick a 360 or PS3 into the new consoles to make the old games work, and that would jack up the cost significantly. This is simply what happens when the console makers decide they want to change CPU architecture every god damn generation.

I liked that last part where Yahtzee mentioned Microsoft's retraction but listed the other flaws in the games industry. You can't expect a 180 miracle, Ben. Baby steps, man, baby steps. ;P

Hold the fucking phone....

THERE'S CRIPSY MINT M&M's?

Looks like Yahtzee's jumping on the anti-exclucive bandwagon.

The Enquirer:

Vergilthenew:
Or Deadpool?

Which makes it more surprising that none of the reviewers I count on haven't reviewed it yet. Most reviewers get early copies (Not sure about Yahtzee though).

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here