Escapist News Now: Smash Bros. Justifies New Character Choices

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Smash Bros. Justifies New Character Choices

Masahiro Sakurai explains that "the villager and trainer were not choices we made for the sake of cheap novelty."

Watch Video

Getting an error message on this one.
Really wanted to see this one.

If R.O.B. is out for this iteration, Wii Fit Trainer may become my go-to character for online matches.

Ah there we go, it works now.

I would play with Wii Fit Trainer if I wasn't already a boss with Pikachu >.>

Lets be honest hear. A guy cannot be anywhere near creative with rule 34 with the Wii Fit trainer compared to a Mii avatar. Also as many people may already say, there have already been far odder choices included into Smash Bros long before Wii Fit trainer. Game&Watch and RoB are high on that list.

Yeah, I'm fine with having the trainer in the game. the Wii Fit series a significant part of Nintendo, and she seems fun to play.

What's wrong with Wii Fit Trainer? I think she could really kick some ass in this game.

I love the Wii Fit Trainer, her fighting style looks both hilarious and amazing.
A strong fit for this redonk game.
Alao the potential smach talk as her is pretty much S tier already and that's what really matters.

I got an error the first time I tried to watch, but at least I was able to watch the advertisement.

I also think the Wii Fit Trainer is a good fit for the game.

I can already hear the "You just got your ass kicked by a yoga instructor!"

As long as Yoshi, Mr Game and Watch, and Wario are still in it I'll get the game. However despite the adding the villager and trainer is BS and makes this game have a mountain to climb if it is gonna prove to be better than Brawl IMO.

I don't mind the new choices, whether you like it or not the "Wii ____" series is like a new IP for Nintendo, so the choice of including her isn't that weird. Plus all of the jokes and memes to come out of the Villager's reveal warrants his inclusion in the roster.

captcha: no stinkin badges, I have at least 10 badges captcha, get your facts straight.

As long as they don't take out Kirby or Samus I will probably be fine.

They've already done Mr. Game-N-Watch and R.O.B. is the Wii-Fit trainer really that much crazier? I mean I'd prefer that over having so many similar characters from the series like Falco, Fox, and Wolf.

I never had a problem at all. Nintendo can add whoever they want....if someone complains about characters from a nintendo franchise, I'd like to ask if they complained when Snake/Sonic were added.

I'd like to see some Final Fantasy characters added from the nintendo exclusive FF games...Cecil, Terra, Fighter, Theif.

I'd play as the Wii-Fit girl. I usually like characters that can move and strike quickly so she seems right up my alley.

Also the serial killer Villager is amazing.

Not too interested in the Villager, but I'm super keen to try out the Trainer. She looks amazingly hilarious.

Good to see I'm not the only one that adores the inclusion of WFT.

At first, I was pretty apprehensive, but dat moveset, man. Dat moveset. Definitely maining her.

I'm so sick of people mentioning Mr. Game and Watch as a strange choice like the Wii Fucking Fit Trainer. As I said in a similar thread, Mr. GaW was a great call back to my childhood since I was playing many of his games before the Game Boy was released. You could say he looks generic but he still has his own style on how he is drawn and the way he moves. And don't forget he was in a shit ton of his own mini games that were quite memorable - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_%26_Watch_games

Frankly I reckon Mr. GaW was a perfect choice as the last unlockable character and I wish the Wii-Fit Trainer was as well. I can put up with her but she is more generic and she only has one game under her belt so I doubt she had many (if any at all) fans.

Wii Fit Trainer is brilliant. They basically added her in just to screw with the fans, and the fans responded with a deluge of loving fanart.

I don't care about that, as long as Samus and another Metroid character are in. It doesn't even have to be Ridley (Though that would be AWESOME!), they could just throw in a Federation Marine (Fingers crossed for the Metroid Prime 2 style Marine, and not the abhorred Other M purple suits).

TKretts3:
I don't care about that, as long as Samus and another Metroid character are in. It doesn't even have to be Ridley (Though that would be AWESOME!), they could just throw in a Federation Marine (Fingers crossed for the Metroid Prime 2 style Marine, and not the abhorred Other M purple suits).

The only one I thought would work is Dark Samus, she can spray acid and glide into you like it did in Prime 2. Good idea?

Oh, I'd play with her, if you know what I mean...!

In the new Brawl game as my character, of course.

Wait, there's hate for the Wii Fit Trainer? Everywhere I've gone, I've seen nothing but love for the character.

Nazulu:

TKretts3:

The only one I thought would work is Dark Samus, she can spray acid and glide into you like it did in Prime 2. Good idea?

Gameplay-wise they'd be different, but in terms of shape and form they'd be just about the same. After all, you can change a character's colour scheme in the click of a button. I'd prefer a Federation Marine with a Phazon Enhancement Device as their super smash. Or, another though, one of the other hunters from Metroid Prime 3, or from Metroid Prime Hunters. Yeah, Hunters was pretty weak, but the other bounty hunters were really cool to see and use!

The Wii fit trainer does not belong in a brawling game because they are not a "character". There's no definition or iconic history. There's just... instructional blah.

It would be like a new X-men movie with a some girl who's called an X-men but who just kind of hangs around but doesn't do anything, has no face and is just there. BLAH. Or like a Transformers movie where some stupid, boring kid takes away Robots smashing each other screen time to yell at the robots for stomping in his garden. Oh wait. You're all just a bunch of Michael Bay fans.

BX3:
Good to see I'm not the only one that adores the inclusion of WFT.

Holy shit, I just noticed the abbreviation. That's so appropriate. After all, the WFT has many people saying WTF.

Ha. ha. ha...

GratchDDO:
The Wii fit trainer does not belong in a brawling game because they are not a "character". There's no definition or iconic history. There's just... instructional blah.

It would be like a new X-men movie with a some girl who's called an X-men but who just kind of hangs around but doesn't do anything, has no face and is just there. BLAH. Or like a Transformers movie where some stupid, boring kid takes away Robots smashing each other screen time to yell at the robots for stomping in his garden. Oh wait. You're all just a bunch of Michael Bay fans.

Um... projecting a bit? Why are we all a bunch of Bay fans?

TKretts3:

Nazulu:

TKretts3:

Gameplay-wise they'd be different, but in terms of shape and form they'd be just about the same. After all, you can change a character's colour scheme in the click of a button. I'd prefer a Federation Marine with a Phazon Enhancement Device as their super smash. Or, another though, one of the other hunters from Metroid Prime 3, or from Metroid Prime Hunters. Yeah, Hunters was pretty weak, but the other bounty hunters were really cool to see and use!

Shape and form, they would be similar yes, but the clone to me was pretty much the only one with equal power to Samus, and her move set is pretty interesting in Prime 2.

The marines look even more generic than the WFT and the other hunters look like something from Ben 10. Guess I'm not a fan of those.

I am super excited about the Wii-Fit Trainer. SSB is about a seriously goofy fight, and the crazy mix is half the goof.

Would you play with the wii fit trainer?

YES.

considering the amount of rule 34 that sprung up for wii fit trainer, ya, i think alot of people will be playing as her. Although probably for a lot of the wrong reasons...

Nazulu:

TKretts3:

Nazulu:

Shape and form, they would be similar yes, but the clone to me was pretty much the only one with equal power to Samus, and her move set is pretty interesting in Prime 2.

The marines look even more generic than the WFT and the other hunters look like something from Ben 10. Guess I'm not a fan of those.

Maybe there come be something along the lines of the Sheik/Zelda combo in the other Smash Bros games. However, rather than switching in the middle of the game you could only switch in the character select screen. Though, this would cause a problem as this is currently how one would select between Samus and Zero-Suit Samus.

I don't know, I admit that it would be awesome to play as Metroid Prime 2's Dark Samus, but I don't see a way to make it work efficiently. :(

TKretts3:

Maybe there come be something along the lines of the Sheik/Zelda combo in the other Smash Bros games. However, rather than switching in the middle of the game you could only switch in the character select screen. Though, this would cause a problem as this is currently how one would select between Samus and Zero-Suit Samus.

I don't know, I admit that it would be awesome to play as Metroid Prime 2's Dark Samus, but I don't see a way to make it work efficiently. :(

I meant as separate characters altogether. I don't know, I reckon they can get away with it just fine. Maybe they can make Dark Samus have a different stance and move in a creep way, or maybe just bigger and edged out. If they can get away with Toon Link and Star Wolf and there similar move set, I really doubt anyone would have a problem.

Honestly, I hope they drop Zamus. Her super was pretty stupid and more people preferred using her since she could move quicker. It really doesn't make sense to me to her have her as tough out of the suit even though this game isn't built on accuracy. I reckon your Metroid Hunters idea is far superior to that. I like the green one the most :-)

Nazulu:

TKretts3:

I meant as separate characters altogether. I don't know, I reckon they can get away with it just fine. Maybe they can make Dark Samus have a different stance and move in a creep way, or maybe just bigger and edged out. If they can get away with Toon Link and Star Wolf and there similar move set, I really doubt anyone would have a problem.

Honestly, I hope they drop Zamus. Her super was pretty stupid and more people preferred using her since she could move quicker. It really doesn't make sense to me to her have her as tough out of the suit even though this game isn't built on accuracy. I reckon your Metroid Hunters idea is far superior to that. I like the green one the most :-)

It would be cool to have Dark Samus move creepily, for instance, instead of walking it could hover around (Since I remember it doing that A LOT in Metroid Prime 2. Well, I guess it could work if they make slight alterations. After all, in Super Smash Bros. Melee they had Mario and Dr.Mario, which was basically just Mario in a doctor's outfit and different moves.

TKretts3:

Nazulu:

TKretts3:

It would be cool to have Dark Samus move creepily, for instance, instead of walking it could hover around (Since I remember it doing that A LOT in Metroid Prime 2. Well, I guess it could work if they make slight alterations. After all, in Super Smash Bros. Melee they had Mario and Dr.Mario, which was basically just Mario in a doctor's outfit and different moves.

I forgot dark Samus hovered. I need to play MP2 again.

What you said originally still stands though (looking very similar) because Sakurai wants to kill off all the clones. BUT THEN AGAIN, I bet he will get rid of some old character and give the new characters roughly the same move set. Taking bets anyone?

I'll bring up Dark Samus with our ideas up on the Nintendo forums again and see if anyone cares.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here