Deadpool Review - Hit-or-Miss Humor, Solid Action

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Deadpool Review - Hit-or-Miss Humor, Solid Action

Behind the 4th wall-breaking protagonist and crude humor lies a fun hack-and-slasher.

Read Full Article

Why didn't they just go for a similar control scheme to the new DMC.

That would fit Deadpool perfectly.

"hit or miss humor" is basically deadpool in a nutshell, so no surprise there.

Every time I watched the trailer I just thought "wait...do its duke nukem with a sword?"

Every other review or opinion I've seen seems to say the exact opposite: hit-or-miss action, solid humor. Huh.

Abandon4093:

Your right, Devil May Cry 4's gameplay would have been a perfect fit for this game....you ARE talking about Devil May Cry 4...RIGHT?

Infernai:

Abandon4093:

Your right, Devil May Cry 4's gameplay would have been a perfect fit for this game....you ARE talking about Devil May Cry 4...RIGHT?

come on man, turn your smartass off, the new DMC had fantastic controls

OT: as fun as it is, I think the combat can be pretty damn clunky, which makes the gameplay especially sour for me given that I'm also playing through Bayonetta
as for the humor, I think that even if the jokes fail, North's performance saves them with his amazing acting
it's one of those performances that you really cannot picture the character with another voice

Wait, this is yet another game voiced by Nolan North? Is he leaving anything to other voice actors in the business?

teh_Canape:

Infernai:

Abandon4093:

But...if i turn my smart-ass off then my dumbass turns on. You don't want to see my dumbass side, he's part of the Sonic Fandom.

But i don't know why you insulted me when we agree that Devil May Cry 4 had fantastic controls!

Non-Smartass version- Alright, i will admit that DmC had ok mechanics and controls. They certainly weren't bad and on their own merits they make for a decent hack and slash game. But in comparison to the rest of the DMC series, it's not that great..and honestly, i just really think Devil May Cry 4 had the best mechanics of the series (Talking about Dante's gameplay here). If they'd done something like Dante's style system in this game, it could have been something amazing.

shiajun:
Wait, this is yet another game voiced by Nolan North? Is he leaving anything to other voice actors in the business?

To be fair, Nolan North does a damned good Deadpool and he was already the character in animated/gaming media beforehand so it's not too much of a problem.

His voice, attitude and laugh remind me of awful youtube commenters such as Tobuscus. Thanks but I'll let this one pass.

I just hoped game devs had grown a sense of humor. Heck, even Mass Effect 2 made me laugh more than this game.

Infernai:
To be fair, Nolan North does a damned good Deadpool and he was already the character in animated/gaming media beforehand so it's not too much of a problem.

Actually his first voice was John Kassir. This might be the nostalgia talking but I do prefer his voice to North's. Kassir's Deadpool sounds more demented and insane as opposed to North's Deadpool.

Example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxdIZ11VCRA

shiajun:

Yes, but Troy Baker is taking whatever's left.

Infernai:

Abandon4093:

Didn't like DMC4.

Too much Nero.

The new DMC by Ninja theory was great though. Might not have been what fans were hoping for, but as a game. Nothing wrong with it. And the controls were fantastic.

Abandon4093:

Infernai:

Abandon4093:

Didn't like DMC4.

Too much Nero.

The new DMC by Ninja theory was great though. Might not have been what fans were hoping for, but as a game. Nothing wrong with it. And the controls were fantastic.

I admit DMC 4 had it's short comings in alot of ways, but i still think that Dante's gameplay mechanics are arguably among the best of the series, the reboot included.

As for DmC....well......to say i hated it is an understatement. For fear of derailing this thread i won't go into much more detail and i did cover this in a previous post but:

As a game on it's own merits? DmC is an average hack and slash. By no means Terrible and is definitely far from unplayable, probably would have enjoyed it more if it hadn't been a Devil May Cry game. But, definitely better Hack and Slashers on the Market.

As a Devil May Cry game? Let's just say i found it bad and leave it at that..

But hey, different people like different stuff. Guess i just have to try to keep my inner fanboy calm whenever that new DmC is brought up.

Infernai:

I admit DMC 4 had it's short comings in alot of ways, but i still think that Dante's gameplay mechanics are arguably among the best of the series, the reboot included.

DMC4 was so dull, solid combat mechanics, but dull. I'd take the shody controls and angsty story of 2 as long as we got its epic set pieces.

OT: I was really interested in how this game panned out story wise, Deadpool seems like one of those characters who could easily become a Dane Cook knock off.

PunkRex:

Infernai:

DMC4 was so dull, solid combat mechanics, but dull. I'd take the shody controls and angsty story of 2 as long as we got its epic set pieces.

OT: I was really interested in how this game panned out story wise, Deadpool seems like one of those characters who could easily become a Dane Cook knock off.

between writing and staring in fanfiction with Cable and Spider-Man, Deadpool is best described as Internet Personified.

Being said, I think the only sane moments are when he has duc-tape or chimichangas.

or both.

OT: Might rent this one, while I like Deadpool, I also like owning games I can go back and replay a different way each time.

I just hope the humor is as good as the combat.

I can deal with shoddy combat, but it would just be a disgrace to all things Deadpool if the humor isn't good.

>Comes to comments for Deadpool game review.
>People disgussing DMC

GAHHHH!

Anyway, as a fan of Deadpool, It'd take a lot for me to get tired of him. All they had to do was not fuck up the controls and the melee stuff turned out great. The shooting could use some work though.

I personally felt the story had heart and I loved it.

The game mechanics were on par, but that's how I feel about ALL action adventure games.

Neat review that tends to hurry up a bit at the end. I'll keep an eye out for this game when it's a bargain on Steam.

Paul, that's a much improved VO performance for your review when it comes to clarity, i.e. speech intelligibility. Nice improvement.

Deshin:

Infernai:

Actually his first voice was John Kassir. This might be the nostalgia talking but I do prefer his voice to North's. Kassir's Deadpool sounds more demented and insane as opposed to North's Deadpool.

Lord that reminds me how much I miss Kassir.
SO.
FREAKING.
MUCH.

I enjoyed the hell out of this game, I don't think I've laughed so much at a game before.

It was definitely worth the purchase, that and I love Deadpool as a character.

my main problem with deadpool not on the humor, is more about the combat. The idea is: mixing third person shooter with hack and slash melee but it doesn't work. The game pull out alot of bad guys with melee antack charge at you while other bad guys stay behide cover and Swarming Bullets at you. So if you want to stay alive you have to keep distance, find a good wall, pop out and shooting with throwing grenades like one of those COD. But that not all, the camera design for the shooting part is so bad i alway end up decorate my cover with bullets decal while enermy just few inch alway. But then we can use some melee attack right ? Yes but the melee is so boring and repetitive, is only have few combos attack and the camera swing around avoid some dude behide you trying to shoot your balls off. regardless i still somehow enjoying deadpool but playing this make me want to play DMC (a better hack and slash) or max payne (a better shooter).

karma9308:

shiajun:

Yes, but Troy Baker is taking whatever's left.

And Steve Blum, who is also in this game as Wolverine.

Infernai:

teh_Canape:

Infernai:

But...if i turn my smart-ass off then my dumbass turns on. You don't want to see my dumbass side, he's part of the Sonic Fandom.

But i don't know why you insulted me when we agree that Devil May Cry 4 had fantastic controls!

Non-Smartass version- Alright, i will admit that DmC had ok mechanics and controls. They certainly weren't bad and on their own merits they make for a decent hack and slash game. But in comparison to the rest of the DMC series, it's not that great..and honestly, i just really think Devil May Cry 4 had the best mechanics of the series (Talking about Dante's gameplay here). If they'd done something like Dante's style system in this game, it could have been something amazing.

well, about that, I can't really say
I got to that mission after they take nero's girlfriend and you gotta go through a gauntlet of sorts and I just ragequit
I could bear getting my ass handed to me by angels
I could not bear having to go through those fuckmothering traps every god damn time I got my ass handed to me, especially the god damn bladed pillar, which is why I personally consider it the worst of the series (I have not played 2)
I mean, it just feels like it's hard in the wrong places, unlike say Bayonetta or even DMC3
but whatever, to each their own, right? =P

I am really enjoying the game at the moment (at the last set of battles with the Marauders on my way to the Citadel.) Honestly though having seen my lady play it on Veteran its a bit on the easy side at Veteran. However, Ultra-Violence difficulty with no upgrades kicks my ass and I swear if I didn't have landmines I wouldn't have made it through most of this game.

solidmetal:
my main problem with deadpool not on the humor, is more about the combat. The idea is: mixing third person shooter with hack and slash melee but it doesn't work. The game pull out alot of bad guys with melee antack charge at you while other bad guys stay behide cover and Swarming Bullets at you. So if you want to stay alive you have to keep distance, find a good wall, pop out and shooting with throwing grenades like one of those COD. But that not all, the camera design for the shooting part is so bad i alway end up decorate my cover with bullets decal while enermy just few inch alway. But then we can use some melee attack right ? Yes but the melee is so boring and repetitive, is only have few combos attack and the camera swing around avoid some dude behide you trying to shoot your balls off. regardless i still somehow enjoying deadpool but playing this make me want to play DMC (a better hack and slash) or max payne (a better shooter).

Exactly this! Though I disagree with Melee combat being boring. It starts out boring but as you upgrade your melee attacks you end up with more variety. Though yeah two combos per weapon to start is a bit weak.

Overall I give it around a 6.5 out of 10. It's not going to be redefining the way we play brawler/shooters but I've played it for over 20+ hours already and plan on playing it again after I beat it the first time.

Also the beginning exploration around his apartment is awesome.

I really like the game but what surprised me most is how well NOlan North works as deadpool and his voices(the vast majority of dialogue is Deadpool talking with himself).
and i wouldn't call the gun mechanics "shooter" because it's clearly designed around locking onto enemies and not really around aiming.

My main problem with the game was having to switch from 3rd person melee to 3rd person shooting. It sounds fine on paper but the game's rooms and corridors are so tiny, you don't really have the time & space to aim. Plus, trying to wrestle the camera while also keeping your crosshair on somebody's head is ridiculously frustrating.

Second, smaller tick- why can Deadpool die in the game? I recall him surviving a *decapitation* at one point yet you can barely take 3-4 hits on medium difficulty before you fall flat on your arse. Deadpool is supposed to be immortal and I can't help but think they missed a great opportunity to give him an ego meter or something else. Hit points just don't mix with the character imo.

The humor felt 11/10 for me but humor is subjective so w/e.

Thanks for the review Paul, I'm trying to get as many opinions on this as possible before I get it on steam sale.

I hated how on pc the flying things are crazy annoying.
You basicly have to stand still and not move while locking on to the flying enemies. Because the moment you move the mouse you lose your lock and without the lock it's crazy hard to keep hitting them.

The Humor, yeah I like it but I could see why it could turn people off or fall flat.

I had hope it would be like the wolverine hack'n slash - just with deadpool.
I am a little bit sad right now :(
Damn why doesn't raven do another wolverine qq

My beef is the voice - I've never enjoyed hearing someone else voice my favourite comic stars. Apart from Mike Patton in The Darkness. He's quality in that.

I actually had to watch the first 45 minutes of gameplay on YouTube before I even were willing to maybe, just maybe consider buying this game. Just to see if I could stand listening to this clown for the entire length of a game. I have read a few comics and I enjoyed the art style but there's a difference between reading and watching a prick being obnoxious for the sake of obnoxiousness. I still think deadpool and the voices talk way too much but north pulled it of with such obnoxious discretion that it kept me going. Though, to be fair, some of the controls (especially the combat and camera) did drive me nuts. Over all good game though

piinyouri:

Deshin:

Infernai:

Lord that reminds me how much I miss Kassir.
SO.
FREAKING.
MUCH.

I always imagined Deadpool with a voice like Charlie Day's voice. They should get him to do it. I always read the voices that talk to him as either Daniel Craig or Rodney Dangerfield. They might be a little difficult to get, what with one of them being an A-list megastar and the other one being a bit too dead.

MrGalactus:

MrGalactus:

You'll be able to beat it in about 7-8 hours, which sounds like a decent length for a game of the genre

There is nothing about this sentence that isn't pathetic

I got a warning notice about this post that said "Please do not flame/troll our content contributors." Motherfuckers, you do not get to decide that my opinion is flaming/trolling. It was a genuine fucking opinion. 7-8 hours IS fucking pathetic for any game, regardless of the genre, and thinking it's acceptable just shows how fucking pathetic and jaded we've become. 40 hours is an OK length for a game of $60. State of Decay gets you 25ish hours and that's $20.

As much as I love this website, but the draconian forum rules do get on my nerves often. The low content post rule is usually bullshit too. Only semi-related but I with they'd fix the fucking ads, too. I've got an ad right now for whatever the fuck "The Sub" is that's broken and covering half of the fucking box I'm typing in, and this happens all the time. Don't like the finicky new layout, either. Can't think of anything else to complain about.

I guess it was because you didn't explain why you thought it was pathetic, so even though you do actually have a good point, it just sounded like an unwarranted insult.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here