The Big Picture: With Great Power

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

With Great Power

MovieBob calls for a new Geek Culture.

Watch Video

would bob have used wounded knee as an example without bioshock infinite?

it would be about time.

Umm okay not sure what that on this week.
But anyway, fuck the haters.

teebeeohh:
would bob have used wounded knee as an example without bioshock infinite?

Well he is officially a Booker now

It took Bob half the video to go to the point. Rewatch and you will see it. These videos are already short, so don't waste time examplifying what you already said in previous videos (like that series about movie history). Good video by the way.

In connection to the Tropes vs Women reference, I don't take Alisia Sarkeesian seriously.

Watch her episode, then Facts vs Women and you'll see why.

Still isn't enough for me to care at all about sarkeesian, but the rest I can agree with.

Bob Really!? the people your riling against are either children (your homophobic, racist misoginistic Spunkgargleweewee gamers)or insular loveshy manchilds there vocal but they are a tiny tiny minority of geeks. I don't think that I've ever met one of these people in the 32 years of my life outside the internet.

So you're saying that instead of hypocritically embracing an atmosphere of exclusion that we have defined ourselves as the victims of, geeks ought to try to fight the demon that has plagued us for so long?

You're a madman, Mr. Chipman! A madman!

I feel kinda bad about saying this but it's very hard to deny that a very defining factor of what you call geek culture is and always was a certain sense of elitism. It's true that we always existed outside of the mainstream... it is, however, also true that many if not most of us think and thought that they are better than the mainstream. Sure, we were outcasts but we always secretly considered ourselves some sort of secret circle that only the worthy can enter, as absurd as that notion is. In this context a certain amount of prejudice was to be expected but it needs to be overcome on an individual level rather than on a collective level.

Christ. This was pretty much a sociology class in 6 minutes. I hate those stupid terms like "cisgender" cause it just adds to the idea of difference. If people truly want a unified equal human species, we need to stop making up stupid meaningless terms like that.

So Nerds can be the leaders that bring us to a species-wide brotherhood? I'm on board with that! NO MORE HATRED!

Amen to the first half of the video but good luck trying to get people to be more mature/ responsisble from the last half of the video. By all mean Bob did raise a good point but we all know that most people don't give a danm unless the video itself is awe inspiring/ motivate us but not long lasting.
Also ain't the video itself is kind of a hypocrite coming from Bob? No don't quote me on this but I know one of the reasons why people don't like Bob is his attitude toward stuff and for him to say that the nerd culture attitude should be more mature seen hypocritical.

Er... I appreciate his intent but this video is pretty poor. TL:DW, nerds are cool now, stop being jerks.

Renegade-pizza:
In connection to the Tropes vs Women reference, I don't take Alisia Sarkeesian seriously.

Watch her episode, then Facts vs Women and you'll see why.

While Thunderf00t's videos made rational counterpoints to Sarkeesian's videos, and that's a great start, we shouldn't forget the maelstrom of troll fire that arose after she announced her kickstarter

The side of the gaming community driven by compassion & perspective is ever growing, but there is still work to be done

Movie Bob, excellent video

The funny thing is, Mainstream culture havenīt been worse than it is now, iīve been watching a lot of 90s/80s mainstream action movies at the moment, and even the mediocre films are often better than the big nerd movies of today. Maybe i just hate nerd culture, i donīt really know to be honest. But when nerds declare something a masterpiece, i tend to avoid it like the plague, because iīll probably hate it and vice versa.

Individualism and what bob argues to be at the core of "geek culture" ie a type of rebellion towards the mainstream have and will always only work when NOT faced with acceptance.
Ie, its a lot more valuable (to yourself anyway) when someone picks on you for being different, thats the kind of thing that drives a lot of the people of this so called "geek culture"
However now, like bob says, when we are basically part of the mainstreaam to the point where the unfunny shitstain on our culture is popular, that is to say, the big bang theory, we just kinda have to face the truth, we are not as special and individual as we actually thought, and yknow what, im fine with that :D

You guys are simply going to have to come to terms with the fact that mainstream now wants to exploit the everliving crap out of you and it wont stop until you as a consumer stop throwing money at them and stop watching big bang theory for example.

Until then, have fun being part of the collectivist conform that you didnt sign up to but now everyone tries to cater to you, hooray :U

Now that we are on top, the only natural thing for us to do is oppress those that have kept us down!

Sorry human nature :(

Thank God for you Bob.(Don't tell Jim I said that. He'll get jealous. ;D)

I think we as a community really do have an opportunity to make a place where all can be welcome, regardless of who/what they are.
It won't be easy, but most things that are worth having are also worth the effort you have to put in to have them.

Good luck with the book!

Although I agree with Bob, one thing, I believe, he didn't touch on is that Geek (and metal) Culture IS NOT supposed to be mainstream. Like he said we were built to avoid mainstream, and that's where I believe the whole exclusion and sexism comes from, not join it. We're already seeing the repercussion of this morphing of cultures, i.e. The Big Bang Theory (I'm not saying the shows not funny, its just that it's "humor" is more like dog-and-bone for us nerds and a geek exposition for the mainstream), posers, etc.

Weirdest Big Picture so far. It started out as a history lesson on geek culture then turned into yet another american liberal rant against the patriarchy (that's popular to do at the moment) and then finished by preaching some kind of left liberal geek ideology. O_o

DTWolfwood:
Now that we are on top, the only natural thing for us to do is oppress those that have kept us down!

Sorry human nature :(

Like bob says: Sexism, Racism and other type of toxic behaviour is one of those things we have to take a stand against now that we hold the talking pillow (for anyone who gets that ref, check me up on steam for a free copy of bioshock infinite).

With great power comes indeed great responsibility, and id really hate to see the community i once loved to become what i once hated, ie, the bullies, the Magneto of geeks basically

though we all realize that's going to be a long, HARD road due to geeks thinking they're owed something.

As a geek, I've always wanted to be treated fairly and with kindness as I have with others. Sadly, that was never the case during my later period in grade school to high school. Today, while I'm still at odds against those who look down at others as if their shit doesn't stink, I do my best to be respectful towards others and their beliefs. It's high time that geek culture started extending the olive branch towards others instead of the close fist. It's time it stopped being disrespectful towards people of different gender, race, and sexuality. It's time for it to mature without losing its inner child, not act childish when someone disagrees with us or offers an opinion that we don't want to hear.

I want to see a better tomorrow for geek culture and the world itself. I'm willing to fight for it, how about you?

Trikeen:

The feminism episode is that way dude ---->

Maybe it's my myopic world view flaring up again but I don't see many racist geeks, Xbox live may have a bunch of 13 year olds spewing faggot and make me a sandwich every 5 seconds but those are all types of people. Of course people are going to spew racism and sexism and homophobia and hate, in a society where you're taught that thinking 'x' way is bad and muttering a 5 letter word will get you slandered a degenerate racist people are going to use the internet (one big soapbox) to express all of that repressed hatred.
Good video though.

PsychedelicDiamond:
I feel kinda bad about saying this but it's very hard to deny that a very defining factor of what you call geek culture is and always was a certain sense of elitism

Muh PC Master Race

I don't know why...but I almost felt Bob was trying to run for president with that video.

Actually, the idea of "geek for president" doesn't sound too bad, though personally for the geek ticket I'd prefer Jim Sterling for the vote with Yahtzee as his running mate...but that's just me.

DerangedHobo:
Maybe it's my myopic world view flaring up again but I don't see many racist geeks, Xbox live may have a bunch of 13 year olds spewing faggot and make me a sandwich every 5 seconds but those are all types of people. Of course people are going to spew racism and sexism and homophobia and hate, in a society where you're taught that thinking 'x' way is bad and muttering a 5 letter word will get you slandered a degenerate racist people are going to use the internet (one big soapbox) to express all of that repressed hatred.
Good video though.

[quote="PsychedelicDiamond" post="6.820668.19811788"]I feel kinda bad about saying this but it's very hard to deny that a very defining factor of what you call geek culture is and always was a certain sense of elitism
Muh PC Master Race

Where there is smoke, there is fire.

Jacco:
Christ. This was pretty much a sociology class in 6 minutes. I hate those stupid terms like "cisgender" cause it just adds to the idea of difference. If people truly want a unified equal human species, we need to stop making up stupid meaningless terms like that.

Those terms do have meaning to people who are different from you. Accepting that reality and adopting it into your worldview is a big step towards maturity and understanding. Spend less time fighting against that is meaningful for others, and spend more time trying to work those differences in perspective into your overall worldview.

Bob killed it here. The only thing missing was where he drops the mic and walks away in front of a stunned, silent crowd. Unsurprisingly there are already comments of people expressing their "Yeah, but..."s. Grow up, nerd community. Accept that it's all too easy for the oppressed to themselves become oppressors; in fact, its often too tempting for us to resist, to get a little payback. We were once (and sometimes still are) powerless, so the temptation to exercise power when offered is almost too powerful.

One needn't join any gay pride parades or write lengthy feminist book reports. But trolling those who do makes one the type of person who they resent. The abused becoming the abuser.

Scarim Coral:
Amen to the first half of the video but good luck trying to get people to be more mature/ responsisble from the last half of the video. By all mean Bob did raise a good point but we all know that most people don't give a danm unless the video itself is awe inspiring/ motivate us but not long lasting.
Also ain't the video itself is kind of a hypocrite coming from Bob? No don't quote me on this but I know one of the reasons why people don't like Bob is his attitude toward stuff and for him to say that the nerd culture attitude should be more mature seen hypocritical.

Although the white knighting of anita never stops and has nothing to do with geeks acting like a wounded knee when someone critizes us. Its one of those flawed arguments, logical fallacies that both jim and bob holds, ie, that the only people critical of other peoples criticism towards geek culture are always the "trolls" and the "haters"
when in reality its actual intellectual people pointing out the logical fallacies and flawed arguments of said criticism towards geek culture which is very often the case.

I for one dont have a problem with critique on geek culture, yes i very much acknowledge what bob said that sexual harassment and conventions somehow now go hand in hand, boothbabes and whatnot, but i also believe that true does not equal urgent and that we cant use the same rethorics like anita suggests:
There is sexual harassment at geek conventions
Therefore all geeks are schrodinger cat sexual offenders

Those "homophobic, sexist, trolls" you rail against are just that-- trolls. They aren't going away, ever, no matter how much mainstreaming is done.

So man the fuck up and deal with it.

And what do you care anyway? You, by your own admission, don't play games online, outsider.

Nice episode.

On another point, it's kind of a shame that Anita however-you-spell-it is the unofficial face "combating depictions of women in games" because when you step back from the vitriol, namecalling, threats and loud noise and actually watch her show (2 eps out to the best of my knowledge)... it's not very good. Two 30 min episodes equaling an hour of soapbox time in total and she's said less, less well than the one five minute episode of extra credits on women in games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1qndga6SNU

She picks up a hodgepodge of trends and unflattering female depictions of characters and says they're bad while not going beyond a surface level of WHY they're bad, how they came to be in development, what some better examples of female characters in games are, why those characters are better and how other female characters in game could be made more like them.

I guess she deserves credit for casting light on this ugly undercurrent of misogynistic attitudes in gaming but I hope she does more with all that kickstarter money than she is now.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here