The Big Picture: With Great Power

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

TheRightToArmBears:
However, they're both fairly distinct and share less musically and fashionwise (which matters with regards to mainstream acceptance) with other subgenres. Yes, technically they're metal, but I certainly wouldn't say that hair metal shared the same spirit...

But who really cares?

I've loved all kinds of metal since I was about 12 years old. The problem is, as with the "geek culture" thing, people who define their identity as part of the "metal community" or whatever.

Who gives a shit? It's all music. I remember back in the 80s and early 90s, when I was teased for liking rap music like Public Enemy, because metal was the popular thing in my area. But I also loved metal. And jazz. And pop. And I was a nerd who loved to read.

The whole thing with sub-genres and sub-cultures is bullshit to me. It's all just music/art/culture. Why do you have to define things so narrowly? We are humans, not categories on a library shelf. People change. Someone who was once "PUNK 4 EVA" might become a techno fan later in life. The labels are stupid.

Imp Emissary:
Thank God for you Bob.(Don't tell Jim I said that. He'll get jealous. ;D)

I think we as a community really do have an opportunity to make a place where all can be welcome, regardless of who/what they are.
It won't be easy, but most things that are worth having are also worth the effort you have to put in to have them.

Good luck with the book!

I'm telling him you said that.... :p

Trikeen:

>Asking for geek culture to be more inclusive and caring towards anyone who's suffered discrimination.
>"Whiteknighting"

If treating other members of this culture as human beings, even if they're not the people you'd normally associate with, is wrong, then I don't want to be here. I can't help but wonder if people like you may be part of the problem....

EDIT:

Reeve:
Weirdest Big Picture so far. It started out as a history lesson on geek culture then turned into yet another american liberal rant against the patriarchy (that's popular to do at the moment) and then finished by preaching some kind of left liberal geek ideology. O_o

Same goes for you. Treating other people with some basic fucking decency isn't about anyone's political standpoint. It's about realising that other people may, *gasp*, in fact be people who should be seen as such, instead of just shunned and ignored.

Abandon4093:
Because over here, you could play Warhammer and Rugby. Get good grades in school and have a good social life.

It was never a one or the other deal, there was no segregation. You just had people that got on and people that didn't. My group of friends had everything from keen sport fanatics to people who Maths enthusiasts. And we all got on fine.

Huh. We must have grown up in totally different UKs. I have a friend who is still deeply bitter about being beaten up as a kid for no reason other than being a comic book fan.

Ugh. I should have known.

I'm not sure if the first half of the video was actually a premise to the bog-standard Moviebob hypoagency endorsement, or just a drawn-out strawman to line up the sites for another hamfisted guilt trip, but whichever it is, it's utterly bogus.

To claim that "geek culture" is the driving force of the "mainstream culture" now is to devalue everything that he built his career on before picking up the "white male guilt" banner. "Mainstream" media and marketing hasn't "embraced" geek culture, it's pillaged it. It's the same tactic that shot Apple out of the dumps a decade ago. Few outside the geek milieu knew what an MP3 even was. The iPod was a geek "toy," made more flashy and less functional..err.. complicated for mainstream marketing, and Turtleneck Jesus made a killing. Repeat the pattern a few more times with smartphones and portable/tablet computers (all of which were around long before Apple brought them into the mainstream eye), and it's not surprising that other industries picked up on it.

And that's what we have now, that Bob so gleefully touts as "winning:" Geek culture signed, sanitized, sanctified, sealed, remodeled and approved for public consumption. Star Trek's nuance and philosophy was cut off into trendy rounded corners of pretty frat-boys and explosions; a world-wide-web two point oh, brought to you by Google, for the low, low price of reducing you to a pile of marketing data; childhood icons repackaged, rebranded, and "re-imagined" in a cynical expectation of exploiting geek nostalgia, as they're shuffled and traded between megacorp portfolios like so many Magic: The Gathering cards.

At best, a rather Pyrrhic victory, but I don't think it's any sort of victory. Rather, it's just the latest in a line of salvos that extends back longer than most of us have been alive. "The Mainstream" hates outliers, and is constantly trying to bring them back into the fold. The Comics Code Authority tried (and succeeded for nearly half a century), "Mazes and Monsters" tried, Tipper Gore tried... an iconoclastic and individualistic subculture is bad for authority and bad for business.

Now we get what we already had, handed back to us. They dumb it down and tart it up, aiding the widespread acceptance and adoption of the watery work-alikes, all spiced with a societal anti-intellectualism that is most decidedly non-geek-friendly. And counting on the poor, silly rebels-without-a-clue of "geek culture" to eat it up, grateful that the sexy cheerleader of the Mass Market noticed that they exist.

And, apparently, it's working.

I had a sneaking suspicion that Bob was going to bring up his would-be girlfriend (FF) and then he did!

JimB:
So you're saying that instead of hypocritically embracing an atmosphere of exclusion that we have defined ourselves as the victims of, geeks ought to try to fight the demon that has plagued us for so long?

You're a madman, Mr. Chipman! A madman!

It certainly worked for African American Culture.

You won't catch them viciously fighting against gay rights.

It blows my mind.

I think that's just the thing. Once people get into a position of power they pick up the reigns of the people they fought against in the first place.

Maybe something about us all being the same at the core or whatever. I dunno.

Be nice. That's my advice.

Playing video games and watching Star Trek movies does not a geek make. Especially current games and Star Trek movies, which are a far cry from what they used to be when geek wasn't mainstream.

Also I have to post this here:

Giving power to a persecuted people has several times resulted in them abusing it and sometimes still try to act persecuted.

I am going to catch a lot of flack for this but look at Israel. Every time someone dares to look at Palestine in a good or even neutral light they start shouting antisemitism. Remember when Google changed its Palestine site to Google Palestine instead of Palestinian Territories? They weren't even supporting any stance, they were just following UN convention.
The Holocaust happened more than 60 years ago and more than just the Jewish people suffered in it(the Gypsies are still discriminated against) and everyone responsible for it is dead and now discrimination is over yet if you even offer constructive criticism to Israel, you are a Nazi.

And for a more obscure reference, look up what happened when Indians/Pakistanis thought they had won the 1857 war of independence. Or the rebels in Libya today.

But the movie industry took a long time to mature, segregate audience by age, gender and likes and make separate kind of movies for different audience so the gaming industry will do the same soon. But it needs time to mature and not get beaten with a bat. You beat it with a bat, you get a very defensive Iran and Israel, you give it time to mature, you get a moderate and peaceful Malaysia.
By this I mean just sneak the acceptance in there instead of making it the focus of all or even most marketing and discussion.

Orcboyphil:
Bob Really!? the people your riling against are either children (your homophobic, racist misoginistic Spunkgargleweewee gamers)or insular loveshy manchilds there vocal but they are a tiny tiny minority of geeks. I don't think that I've ever met one of these people in the 32 years of my life outside the internet.

Maybe your a shut in ^^. Go to a comic shop. Or hell a movie theater (which is kinda bobs point). If you didn't meet one you went out of your way not to, or you don't get out.

Ahem.. Bob.. this may well be the most noble misguided thing you've ever said.
But like your Lisa Simpson picture you used repeatedly... HAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH no. No...no.. no.. a thousand times no.

And i'm not just saying that cause i'm a camel dogger. (look it up as you won't know what the hell that is).

Bob, I can't stress enough I'm super fucking proud of you for this video.
Now i'm going to go ever so slightly off topic.
I'm a mixed martial arts fan. AKa mma.. aka ufc.

On the forums i go to are plagued with racism, sexism and all that good shit that has been come to been known with internet forums. And I don't just blame the "internet" for people acting like douche bags. It is how ever a giant fucking bug light for them.

I've tried to explain to my fallow mma fans (Shout at, bitch at, intimidate and threaten) just for example just cause you've been doing this longer... doesn't mean your better than new fans. It just makes you a bigger nerd. Being a big fan is it's own reward. That's it.

The people i blame for this old school click? I play world of war craft players who made it there moto "lets laugh at noobs."

That's basically the N word with a fresh coat of paint. Your subhuman.. your second class... you get lesser treatment. it's built into the nerd subculture today.

And brother... it ain't going no where Bob.

Still God bless you and keep you Bob. You did something noble today.

People won't like the removal of that persecuted sort of rebel underdog status. Especially if they find it's because people are trying to emulate the characters of the big bang theory.

It's funny that some of the people who contributed to the abuse of those they deemed as geeks are now enjoying many things previously geeky.

Also I was with you Bob on the whole not being a dick on the internet until you brought up Anita. A person who has received nothing but profit by inviting trolls then portraying herself as a victim or modern feminism 101. There is a wrong way and a right way to critique somebody's "opinion" and what the internet did was typical and wrong but in this case I can hardly sympathize. You don't start with a conclusion and then attempt to find evidence for it. Anita won't find solutions to the "misogyny" that is apparently everywhere, if she did she would be out of a job. Her own thesis leaves any female protagonists that might arise hilariously unable to show feats of emotional or physical strength because this apparently means they are acting like a male fill in. How then are you supposed to make a character seem strong but human which many have trouble with already, I don't know. Also nobody really want's the protagonist to be pathetic, fragile or anything resembling sinji really.

SonicWaffle:

Abandon4093:
Because over here, you could play Warhammer and Rugby. Get good grades in school and have a good social life.

It was never a one or the other deal, there was no segregation. You just had people that got on and people that didn't. My group of friends had everything from keen sport fanatics to people who Maths enthusiasts. And we all got on fine.

Huh. We must have grown up in totally different UKs. I have a friend who is still deeply bitter about being beaten up as a kid for no reason other than being a comic book fan.

Don't get me wrong, obviously bullying still happens. Life just doesn't seem to be as clique based as America. There was certainly no group of nerds or jocks I was aware of. Which would be might odd considering I was both obsessed with Spawn and hellsing and prop forward for the Rugby team.

Phuctifyno:

I agree with your comment as a whole, but I gotta say this part doesn`t feel right. I saw that video and thought that guy was a complete idiot. He kept trying to defend fiction with fiction, claiming things in games justified themselves within the game`s own context. Real world don`t work that way.

So, what you're saying is that, if woman is harmed in a video game or any other medium, It's sexist regardless of narrative context. Aka its never ok ho harm a female in ANY way shape or form but it's ok to go ballistic on an army of men. Do you even think this trough before you write or do you just copypaste Anitas bullshit thinking that it's undeniable fact?

WaitWHAT:

Imp Emissary:
Thank God for you Bob.(Don't tell Jim I said that. He'll get jealous. ;D)

I think we as a community really do have an opportunity to make a place where all can be welcome, regardless of who/what they are.
It won't be easy, but most things that are worth having are also worth the effort you have to put in to have them.

Good luck with the book!

I'm telling him you said that....

Trikeen:

>Asking for geek culture to be more inclusive and caring towards anyone who's suffered discrimination.
>"Whiteknighting"

If treating other members of this culture as human beings, even if they're not the people you'd normally associate with, is wrong, then I don't want to be here. I can't help but wonder if people like you may be part of the problem....

D: No! Don't do that! If you do he'll get us both! Me for giving praise to someone else, and you for being a tattle tail.

No wonder about that last bit. They are the problem.
That said, there are three things wrong with that persons post(other than what you said).

1. It's just a picture, low content. ;p

2. If all you have to do to be a "white knight" is say Anita's name, then I think that covers everyone on the internet.(side note: That explains why some people are trying to not say her name though. ;p)

3. That picture only makes Bob/being a white knight seem cool. :p

Yup. Do better: this is the command.

Despite that Bob made good points... I don't think 'geeks' or whatever mainstream is 'popular' with then given generation.. I believe everyone should treat people right regardless of age, sex, gender, religion, and ideals on politics. There's way to many people in the world to classify them as anything for the individual has specific tastes and interests in their life span.

Take for example me. I never read comic books or watched many of the cartoon series involving superheroes but my favorite movie is The Dark Knight. Despite that I watch quite a bit of anime and read a bookload of mangas, my room has no decorations or any collectibles of said anime anywhere. As much as I love gaming (and I LOVE games), I have a huge passion for drawing and art in general along the lines that I mostly enjoy spending time with my girlfriend hanging at the mall, or simply going on dates with her.

See, I don't really think the majority of people who identify themselves as 'geeks' are really geeks. Jocks, cheerleaders, and whatever form of 'class' there is; it's not a full on scale of said class. What I am trying to get is that a jock could be into Black Ops 2, love animated movies like Despicable Me, and really have a thing for Football. That would be my dad in all actuality, who is the masculine Christian figure thus proves the point that people have mixed interests in things now a days no matter how they appear.

I admire Bob's points and we do need to stand up, but not because of geeks being 'cool' now where we must accept others but rather we're people thus we all live in this world together. Violence, racism, and other hatreds are a killer to all factions so we need to stop it altogether, and stand up with everyone even if there are differences- we have to all stand together.

Zombie_Moogle:

Renegade-pizza:
In connection to the Tropes vs Women reference, I don't take Alisia Sarkeesian seriously.

Watch her episode, then Facts vs Women and you'll see why.

While Thunderf00t's videos made rational counterpoints to Sarkeesian's videos, and that's a great start, we shouldn't forget the maelstrom of troll fire that arose after she announced her kickstarter

The side of the gaming community driven by compassion & perspective is ever growing, but there is still work to be done

Movie Bob, excellent video

This is very much the truth. It's not a question about whether you agree with Sarkeesians perspective on games/culture, it's about whether you actually respect her right to give her opinion in the first place. You may not feel that the games industry and/or culture at large are misogynist but that doesn't give you any more right to play the extreme violent victimization card towards those who do. Part of being intelligent and wise is realizing that others can have their own opinions that you may not agree with and, in fact, it's perfectly okay to let them speak their piece without needing to argue.

Aardvaarkman:

TheRightToArmBears:
However, they're both fairly distinct and share less musically and fashionwise (which matters with regards to mainstream acceptance) with other subgenres. Yes, technically they're metal, but I certainly wouldn't say that hair metal shared the same spirit...

But who really cares?

I've loved all kinds of metal since I was about 12 years old. The problem is, as with the "geek culture" thing, people who define their identity as part of the "metal community" or whatever.

Who gives a shit? It's all music. I remember back in the 80s and early 90s, when I was teased for liking rap music like Public Enemy, because metal was the popular thing in my area. But I also loved metal. And jazz. And pop. And I was a nerd who loved to read.

The whole thing with sub-genres and sub-cultures is bullshit to me. It's all just music.art/culture. Why do you have to define things so narrowly? We are humans, not categories on a library shelf. People change. Someone who was once "PUNK 4 EVA" might become a techno fan later in life. The labels are stupid.

Why do I define things so narrowly? I don't- whilst I do think there are a lot of silly subgenres that can be done away with, some things are still different and it's natural that I'll have my preferences. People really loving metal and identifying themselves as metalheads isn't the same as putting down other genres because they're not metal, I hate that (especially as it gives all of us a bad name), I just identify a lot with metal. It's nice to feel like a part of something bigger. I understand why being super-passionate about metal might seem silly to people who view it as just another genre, but I love metal, it's more than just other music to me and I can't really explain why without sound very silly and very illogical.

I think what's mostly likely is a continuation of the the trend for abused children to grow up to be abusers.

Silk_Sk:
Geek 3.0 = bronies.

Oh God, and then we're back at square one.

He is right about a lot of things. My one problem is the constant use of the term "we" in this video. I have nothing to do with a lot of the bad things about geek culture. I almost hate the idea of a "geek culture". At least he didn't use the term "community", that drives me nuts worse than anything. Great video besides that whole "We" thing.

My parents used to do the same thing in reference to black and white society, native americans, anything that separated what my family superficially was to what other people and families are superficially were/are. It happens all the time in the media. "We" treated a,b, and c poorly, "we" should not be surprised there are repercussions. How about I am not part of the racist, homophobic, xenophobic, sexist or any other negative words ending is -ist and -ic. I cannot take responsibility for what other people do. Will I combat it as I see it? Yes (in real life, it's a waste of energy to fight it on the internet). Is it my job to run around the world finding it just to be combated? No, it's not.

RJ Dalton:
I think what's mostly likely is a continuation of the the trend for abused children to grow up to be abusers.

That is an interesting statement. People have choice, most abused children do not grow up to be abusers. There may be a statistically enhanced chance that it can happen compared to people with no abuse history in their family, but it mostly doesn't happen.

Deadagent:

So, what you're saying is that, if woman is harmed in a video game or any other medium, It's sexist regardless of narrative context. Aka its never ok ho harm a female in ANY way shape or form but it's ok to go ballistic on an army of men.

lol. None of that is what I`m saying. You`re ignoring the real argument in the exact same way Thunderf00t did in his video.

Fiction. Thunderf00t was defending fiction on fictitious premises. Any writer can come with any reason to contextually justify anything they want. The problem doesn`t exist within the fiction, especially not on a story-by-story basis; it exists in the real world, where all stories co-exist, and more importantly, where the writers and audience live. Any individual writer can dream up a hundred brilliant reasons to have a woman harmed in his or her story; in and of itself, that`s fine. The problem is, specifically in gaming, that so many writers (not all, but mostly male) are thinking up the same things without thinking through its cause (the real cause for they`re writing it, not the fictional cause they invented for it happening in their story), its overuse (male on male violence is more common, but is portrayed differently), or its ramifications (for a mistakenly estimated mostly male audience).

Do you even think this trough before you write or do you just copypaste Anitas bullshit thinking that it's undeniable fact?

Please clean up your feces. This is a public recreational facility and no one wants to see that.

Bob misunderstands the geek culture as being one that was "against persecution", but that's never what geek culture was about. Being a geek was just as much about having an insular minority which believed itself to be superior to all others as football or anything else. It wasn't "OMG the football players don't like me, so I'll be friends with everyone else" it was "to hell with the football players, and everyone else, they aren't smart enough/mature enough to understand how awesome D&D is." And we loved the superiority (as Bob has talked about) of our knowledge. We're the ones who like whispering to someone "this is what's about to happen" and then feel good about ourselves when it happens. We like feeling like our knowledge is exclusive.

He's ignoring that the "I may be a geek, but at least I'm not..." has always been a part of our subculture. I may be into Star Trek, but at least I'm not a D&D geek. I may be into D&D but at least I'm not an anime geek. I may be into anime, but at least I'm not a LARPer. It only gets worse the closer any of those groups get to actually being mainstream.

And we want it to be exclusive, because there is a certain sense of "I suffered from being a geek, and now a whole lot of people are bandwagoning because it's popular. Screw you, I liked Dr. Who back when it sucked."

Dangit2019:

Silk_Sk:
Geek 3.0 = bronies.

Oh c'mon... its not that bad is it? We're a stable bunch of fans who love and tolerate?! Right.. RIGHT? BROHOOF

Captcha: do more sit-ups

Fuck off captcha I already ran 3 miles today. Jesus Christ. What was I saying? Oh yeah love and tolerate... wait...

Dangit2019:

Silk_Sk:
Geek 3.0 = bronies.

The weird part is that the Bronies are a geek sub-culture that goes counter to the Baysplosion/Spungargleweewee/why is everything gritty mainstreaming. In essence, it's what filled the void (along with Adventure Time) of people wanting to reject the dark (literally) and angry hate of a post-9/11 world. Brightly colored horses with old-school gags and rubber skeletons... okay!

Huh, made me think: there may be folks out there who feel out of place/awkward when they can't contribute to a discussion about superheroes with friends, colleagues, family etc. Can't say I ever saw that coming. "The Geek shall inherit the Earth", I guess.

I just want to say that while a lot of the outcry directed at Anita Sarkissian announcing her videos was sexist, mysognist nonsense, that too often it's glared over that thinking individuals like myself also did not want her doing it. Not because I don't believe there is something that could be said, but because I don't want Anita being the one to do it. There are many other notable feminists in the games sector that are well spoken, and will attempt to have an actual dialogue with people. Anita is the worst kind of militant feminist, the kind that make it so when I tell people I'm a feminist, they assume that means I burn my bra, hate pornography with a passion, and don't bathe.

Anita's videos are lazy in message, mostly letting her get on a soapbox without any actual attempt at discussion, and cherry pick things without giving both sides of a story. We deserved a better voice for the issues of sexual objectification of women in games and the over-use of certain tropes in games, while commenting on why it has become that way and when it's sometimes acceptable.

Whoa, lotta backlash with this one, eh Bob?

Well, for my two-cents, I'd say that I agree with everything you just said whole-heartedly. However, I believe the problem people seem to be taking with it is the fact you're kinda preaching to the choir on this one. Everything came down to "We should do something about this!" rather than "Here's what we should do guys..."

It comes across as raising awareness of a problem that we're already well aware of and currently fighting. You'll just get weird looks if you start yelling that a war is going on when we're all deep in the trenches. We're aware, so maybe instead of the preaching, could we maybe spitball some possible solutions?

I am not a feminist. I do think that equality is important and I sure wish things like rape (all kinds) and slut shaming (all kinds) would go away, but I'm not expecting guys to stop loving breasts or ogling half-naked women, and I'm certainly not expecting that the video game industry is suddenly going to start making games featuring strong, non-objectified female protagonists just in the name of equality. Video game companies are not interested in equality. They are not interested in social justice. They are interested in making money. The video game industry exists entirely in a capitalist bubble in which they find (to an extent) a formula, and as long as that formula continues to make them oodles and gobs of money, they are going to continue following it. I don't begrudge the video game industry for continuing to feature men saving/objectifying/kidnapping scantily-clad women. Whatever, they're making their money and if I'm offended by something I can vote with my dollah bills.

However, Bob is not wrong. There are a lot of arguments here that seem to be falling right in line with what he's saying. Yes, previously "on top" groups have a history of stealing, cheating, oppressing, etc. What Bob is saying is that we have an opportunity to change all of that. Everybody who idolizes geek culture won't fall in line, but that's their choice, and it's not wrong for us to give them that choice.

And for those of you saying "Geek culture is not a group," while you may be technically right, it doesn't change the fact that the world perceives us as such, and that can be used or abused depending on how much malevolence and hatred you have for the world at large.

I used to be an active member of several online communities that primarily dealt with "geek culture." I found it to be enriching and intellectually challenging, and I'd be lying if I said some of my best friends didn't come from online-only discussions of Batman or Final Fantasy. However, over the last few years I have decreased my Internet participation to a depressing minimum. It has been brutal watching the loudest and angriest among us dominate conversation after conversation, essentially halting all of the debate and discussion that previously made my time on the Internet so much fun. Even innocuous topics eventually (faster and faster, lately) devolve into vicious bouts of name-calling and mentally-blocked, stubborn, "this is not up for discussion" answers from people.

I feel that these loud, angry people are missing the point. And frankly, it's exhausting to read that kind of reactionary, hate-fueled garbage. It is creating and encouraging a toxic environment.

If you don't feel like you need to be a superhero going out and "saving the world" from oppression and injustice, then don't do that. I don't mean to get all afternoon special on you, but for a lot of people, all we have control over is how we communicate our ideas to others. It's incredibly sad to me that so many people allow their hatred to fester and take over the way they talk to people.

Jennacide:
We deserved a better voice for the issues of sexual objectification of women in games and the over-use of certain tropes in games, while commenting on why it has become that way and when it's sometimes acceptable.

Well it doesn't really matter if you "deserved" someone better, Anita is the only one so far willing to invest the time and money so for that she's the face of feminism in video games. You don't have to like it but you pretty much need to accept that it's just the way things are.

I really hate how all the "white knights" are advocating for these special treatments of the target demographic they feel is persecuted.

Equality isn't treating a girl nicer than you would a guy on Xbox live. It's treating her the SAME way you'd treat everyone else.

The internet has ALWAYS been a cesspool. You're free to express opinions society finds taboo without any repercussion. Say something the 'community' doesn't like and you can just leave it and find another one. I'm so sick of this bullshit. You don't want equality amongst everyone. You want special treatment.

Looks like Bob's annual voter registration drive for the democratic party is well underway. Note how he proudly emphasized the word "progressive". You could just hear him puffing out his feathers on that one.

Here is one small response to this mess.

1. Someone can use gay and fag in a negative way without hating homosexuals. There is a whole episode of southpark about it.
2. The reason women are generally unwelcome in predominantly male venues is because the presence of women require that men change their behavior. Either the men want to get laid thus stress out over presenting the "right" image
[1]. Or they stress out over saying something wrong that could bring about an expensive sexual harassment charge/lawsuit. Just look at donglegate as an example. Men having a private conversion at a mostly male conference lost their jobs because a woman heard them, was "offended", and determined that her being offended justified her in ratting them out.
3. people who expect others to change because they are "offended" but not harmed need to harden the fuck up, sticks and stones and all that
For reference click the first link http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22offended%22+steve+hughes

[1] Note that men who think that how they act around women determines whether or not they get laid are sadly in need of an education.

Great video, Bob! You are so right. Nerds can be the worst kind of bully. I see it every time a popular video game goes free-to-play (for example): there is a fresh stream of new players, many of whom are not "hardcore gamers", and the established game community meets them with hate, bile and contempt. What a shame.

On the one hand there are people who do not suffer memory loss:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/2709-Magneto-Was-Right
On the other hand reading through of some of the reactions...
Magneto was right.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or