Escapist News Now: Titanfall Breaks E3 Awards Record

Titanfall Breaks E3 Awards Record

This year's GCA Awards have been announced Respawn Entertainment's upcoming mech shooter, Titanfall took home top honors. The game won every category it was nominated for, breaking the record for the most amount of wins in the Game Critics Awards 16-year history for a total of 6. Titanfall's accolades include Best of Show, Best Original Game, and Best Online Multiplayer.

Watch Video

I'm actually not surprised that Titanfall would win in the GCA Awards, but I'm surprised that it won every category that it was nominated for.

You know, I really do feel like Charlton Heston at the end of Soylent Green. I mean, are the critics and journalists who played these games really that impressed by mechs, or what? This game is being made by the very same people who began the overhyped, style over substance, set-piece focused, multiplayer-fondling cavalcade of crapitude tidal wave that's right now, at this very moment, dragging down the entire games industry. Well, enjoy your freshly baked human and your futuristic CoD clone. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to look for something to play that requires more braincells than the average person has fingers.

While I wouldn't go so far to say as Titanfall looks like a bad game, I simply cannot understand what about the game makes it worthy enough to win best PC game, best console game, best original game and best game overall, amongst the many other awards it's got.

I simply do not see what is so unique, so original about the game that critics feel the need to adorn it with every prize they've got. Destiny, The Division, even Battlefield 4 all brought things that at least looke interesting (bored of shooters though I am). What did Titanfall have? Mechs? Other shooters have already included mech combat in online multiplayer. Jetpacks? Halo and Killzone did those years ago. Double jumping and wall-running? Oh, hello there Brink.

For something to garner so many awards, I would assume it would be a game that really does standalone in its uniqueness, something like Journey, or Dark Souls, or Mario Galaxy. Something which looks utterly unlike everything else out there. For a game that looks like Call Of Duty but in space to break records for awards won not only says bad things about the critics who judged the game, but about the industry itself.

This was an E3 where for once, everyone made an actual effort, and showed off original games with something we hadn't seen before. Microsoft at least showed off Project Spark, which for all the hate they got looks like a genuinely creative new game. Even Nintendo had two exclusive Platinum games to show off, one of them being an original strategy-beat 'em up where you defeat giant alien robot dragons with a collective horde of superheroes, and the other being the sequel to one of the most insane, creative, critically acclaimed action games ever. Ubisoft were showing off the likes of Watch Dogs. Sony had the likes of Tearaway and Rain... what the fuck does it say when amidst all this creativity, the winner of nearly all the awards is fucking COD with mechs?

Never wanna hear another complaint about brown shooters. We sit here and bitch all day about CoD and it's competition but we praise an online only CoD: Future game?

I don't really get this. Ok it looks like it's fun to play and has solid graphics but does it really deserve this much praise?

It's a standard shooter with a few special movement options and a powerful vehicle you can deploy once in a while.

A indie team could literally make the same damn thing with less graphics and voice acting and sell it on steam for $5.

This proves that most critics are idiots, except Yahzee, Jim and Movie Bob. Yes even the rest of escapist reviewers are somewhat on the clueless side.

ExtraDebit:
This proves that most critics are idiots, except Yahzee, Jim and Movie Bob. Yes even the rest of escapist reviewers are somewhat on the clueless side.

I do admit that Yahzee, Jim and Movie Bob are good critics.

I remember when Rage won all the awards at an E3 one year... then it came out.

Even as someone who is interested in the game, I cannot fathom why Titanfall got so many awards in so many categories. It's just another multiplayer-centric fps, but this time with some mechs. Don't get me wrong, it looks like a blast, but in a "shut your brain off and shoot things" sort of way, which is not deserving of all these awards.

Won heaps of awards? Lack of competition maybe?

Congratulations on hyping your game better than other games?

They won the preview awards: whoop-de-fuckin'-doo.

I like the look of the game - don't get me wrong - but E3 awards mean squat.

Guys... pay close attention to the end of the article. "In order to win, the game must be playable"
A majority of the new IPs and games shown at E3 were demoed on stage or Cutscene only. So they had very little competition.

Yes, an E3 trailer that basically amounted to a bunch of people talking to each other with kinda funny jokes, and a robot battle in the end won E3.

Not surprised.

EDIT: Wrong game, please don't persecute me.

Then again, it's kind of telling that I managed to mix up both those games. Because they kind of look really similar.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
While I wouldn't go so far to say as Titanfall looks like a bad game, I simply cannot understand what about the game makes it worthy enough to win best PC game, best console game, best original game and best game overall, amongst the many other awards it's got.

I simply do not see what is so unique, so original about the game that critics feel the need to adorn it with every prize they've got. Destiny, The Division, even Battlefield 4 all brought things that at least looke interesting (bored of shooters though I am). What did Titanfall have? Mechs? Other shooters have already included mech combat in online multiplayer. Jetpacks? Halo and Killzone did those years ago. Double jumping and wall-running? Oh, hello there Brink.

For something to garner so many awards, I would assume it would be a game that really does standalone in its uniqueness, something like Journey, or Dark Souls, or Mario Galaxy. Something which looks utterly unlike everything else out there. For a game that looks like Call Of Duty but in space to break records for awards won not only says bad things about the critics who judged the game, but about the industry itself.

This was an E3 where for once, everyone made an actual effort, and showed off original games with something we hadn't seen before. Microsoft at least showed off Project Spark, which for all the hate they got looks like a genuinely creative new game. Even Nintendo had two exclusive Platinum games to show off, one of them being an original strategy-beat 'em up where you defeat giant alien robot dragons with a collective horde of superheroes, and the other being the sequel to one of the most insane, creative, critically acclaimed action games ever. Ubisoft were showing off the likes of Watch Dogs. Sony had the likes of Tearaway and Rain... what the fuck does it say when amidst all this creativity, the winner of nearly all the awards is fucking COD with mechs?

The same reason why Okami, on it's first year of release got nominated for basically every single game award on Spike TV and lost every single one of them to CoD or some other clone like it.

So a game that is in essence Brink and Battlefield 2142 won all of E3. We really are stretching the meaning of "original".

Marak Daga:
Won heaps of awards? Lack of competition maybe?

Lol that is what I was thinking. I honestly can't think of anything really exciting at E3 this year. Sequels and Titanfall

LysanderNemoinis:
You know, I really do feel like Charlton Heston at the end of Soylent Green. I mean, are the critics and journalists who played these games really that impressed by mechs, or what? This game is being made by the very same people who began the overhyped, style over substance, set-piece focused, multiplayer-fondling cavalcade of crapitude tidal wave that's right now, at this very moment, dragging down the entire games industry. Well, enjoy your freshly baked human and your futuristic CoD clone. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to look for something to play that requires more braincells than the average person has fingers.

I'm with this guy, but for different reasoning - it looks like Brink, with badly designed giant robots. And we all know how Brink ended... -_-

...I'll continue to play skeptic until the reviews roll in methinks X3

Which party do we think paid (the most?) to make this happen: EA, in order to hype their new "killer app," or Microsoft, hoping that these rave "reviews" will help to move people to buy their console in order to play this "exclusive" title?

The reason that I call it "exclusive" is because I think it's a timed exclusive, and not a console exclusive. I think some of the folks at respawn said that they were "open" to the idea of Titanfall on PC. I'm guessing PS4 wouldn't be far behind. Also, why would EA lose money from sales by making it a consoles exclusive? Not when they don't release titles such as Madden, or Battlefield, exclusively on a single console.

I find it curious that not a single PS4 exclusive won an award. (unless you count Transistor). And the only winner to appear on a Nintendo system is Watch Dogs.

For those complaining about Titanfall, I think it's less like a new CoD, more like a new spin on Battlefield. The Titans add a vehicular spin to the gameplay. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

I guess I'm going to be the one playing devil's advocate. I don't see any reason why it doesn't deserve at least some of the awards.

Unless I'm mistaken the awards are based off of pre-release, so I guess it can be summed up as the most impressive preview?

I thought it looked fun. I enjoy CoD, and look forward to new experiences and challenges in Titanfall.

If you're putting this much effort into demonizing a game or caring about its associated rating before its even released, you're doing it wrong. I plan on watching closely and waiting for *real* reviews.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here