No Right Answer: 90's Cartoon Most Deserving a Reboot

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

90's Cartoon Most Deserving a Reboot

With Hollywood officially run out of new ideas, it's time to mine the past for reboot material. Which 90's cartoon should move to the front of the line?

Watch Video

Obviously, ReBoot deserves a reboot. It's in the frakkin' name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReBoot

Rituro:
Obviously, Reboot deserves a reboot. It's in the frakkin' name.

DAMN It NINJA!

But yea Reboot is probably one of the best show ever.

I mean cmon!

Definitely love me some Reboot. It had a good run though.

If we want to capitalize on the popularity of cats, I'd go with Samurai Pizza Cats.

I wanna gif of Chris talking about that mayor cat so bad.
Also as much I love Gargoyles (they aren't actually gargoyles btw) if the Adult Swim's line-up proves anything, it's that the show most deserving of a reboot is the Real Adventures of Johnny Quest.

Reboot was fantastic.

Gargoyles is one of my favourites. Ever. It was a huge part of my childhood. I would walk around on my toes everywhere like a gargoyle. I drew myself as a gargoyle. I idolised Elisa. And her halloween costume as Belle? Best thing ever.

Xanatos was a brilliant character. He was good, he was bad, he did everything for a reason you could actually relate to. He was complicated and I adored him.

Yeah ReBoot at least ended on a good note. What needs a reboot however is Pirates of Dark Water. They never finished the show and, for what it's worth, the story was great and the animation was great and it was great and fun and I don't know they canned it and it makes me sad because now this run-on sentence is a bit silly.

Oh, come on. No question. Gargoyles. Love that show. Still love it. Watched it all through again a year or so ago.

Sorry, any answer other than Gargoyles is wrong. Very, very wrong.

Can grumpy cat and nyan cat have their own jet?

Heh I was thinking of Gargoyles when I read this week episode title and I'm glad it won.

Sure I like Swat Kat but I'm pretty sure that if it had gotten a reboot it would had appeal that other demographics on the web (ok that isn't far to say as antro shows are great to watch on their own right like the new Thundercats).

Beside Gargoyles had a larger mytho due to its medieval fantasy magic and aswell with future like tech (how awesome did that rich guy did by taking that historic castle and put it right on top of his skyscrapper?).

Also is season 3 is the one where the rich vilain guy became good somehow which the Gargoyles forgave him and went back to living the castle again?

TheLazyGeek:
Yeah ReBoot at least ended on a good note. What needs a reboot however is Pirates of Dark Water. They never finished the show and, for what it's worth, the story was great and the animation was great and it was great and fun and I don't know they canned it and it makes me sad because now this run-on sentence is a bit silly.

I loved that show! And I still have the snes game on my shelf, I can see the box. Never got through it, as saving your game wasn't a thing then. I should try again one day.

Freakazoid, everyone else is wrong.

Or Animaniacs for being one of the best comedy shows on tv of all time, never mind just cartoons. The problem with Swat cats is it is super 90's. Rebooting it now it'd either be all post modern and ironic or directed by Michael Bay.

Kyayle wins, like usually and I'm gladder than i usually would be.
"cats is brainless" - Keyle

Sorry, Chris, but I've gotta go with the Gargoyles reboot vote. I approved of this when Moviebob mentioned it in his Top 5 Reboot potentials episode on The Big Picture and I approve of it today. Gargoyles was a fantastic show coming from the 90s. A dark Disney cartoon that had great characters, intriguing story lines, and excellent topics woven into a sci-fi/fantasy setting. This is something that needs to happen like yesterday. Hell, they need to bring out a collectors DVD/Blu-ray set of all three seasons with bonus material as well. Make is so, Disney!

Would S

TheLazyGeek:

YESSSS! Pirates of Dark Water was AMAZING. So under appreciated.

Back to the video, Gargoyles definitely deserved the win here. SWAT Kats I think would lose a bit in the time shift. It had so much EXTREMEness to it, it was just a quintessentially '90's show. Gargoyles is more timeless. Kyle described it perfectly. Batman: TAS meets TMNT, but the tone was definitely more Batman.

Okay, but why not both? Just do both.

You can't not reboot the trope namer for Xanatos Gambit.

Besides unlike some other franchise maybe this is dying fora Christopher Nolan film =D Think how much he would do with a villain whose not only a move ahead of you, but has already played the entire game in his head and is taking the prize before the good guys even sit down to the table. It would be like Inception crossed with The Dark Knight crossed with animate stone gargoyles. Forget the Joker, Xanatos would make him look like an absolute clown. There can be no wrong

Good god they were so many cool 90's show. For me it would be DragonFlyz I freakin' loved that show.

Marina Sirtis/Troy was actually Demona, the evil-ish gargoyle.

Swat Kats was insanely amazing. Gargoyles was awesome

Also, ReBoot and Pirates of Dark Water must go on!

Well, this is a tough one at least.

BrotherRool:
You can't not reboot the trope namer for Xanatos Gambit.

Besides unlike some other franchise maybe this is dying fora Christopher Nolan film =D Think how much he would do with a villain whose not only a move ahead of you, but has already played the entire game in his head and is taking the prize before the good guys even sit down to the table. It would be like Inception crossed with The Dark Knight crossed with animate stone gargoyles. Forget the Joker, Xanatos would make him look like an absolute clown. There can be no wrong

Pretty much this. Compared to pretty much any pop culture villain, Xanatos will win hands down. And he'll look good doing it, good enough that the heroes won't even want to come after him.

Spot1990:
Freakazoid, everyone else is wrong.

Don't know about that, I'm a little conflicted.
On one hand hell yes Freakazoid, on the other, I feel you'd need some incredible writers who are fans of the original work onboard to make it anything but sub-par in comparison.

IndomitableSam:
Oh, come on. No question. Gargoyles. Love that show. Still love it. Watched it all through again a year or so ago.

Keith David was Goliath. He voiced Anderson in Mass Effect.

Jonathan Frakes as Xanatos... who even has his own trope named after him

Brent Spiner as a few voices.

Warf, Troy, and others were in it. Hudson was voiced by Edward Asner... the guy who played the old man in UP.

C'mon... the only way that would get better is if they had Scott McNeil :)

I DENY YOU!! I still say Swat Kats is more deserving, it got cut off in its prime, whereas even though the third season was basically disowned, it still happened. Swat Kats, though, they got cut off not even halfway through season 2, there were at least three episodes in the works when the hammer came down.

Fuck... I cant decide. I think they both should be rebooted...

I've never seen Swat Kats, so it's hard for me to say Gargoyles is better, but it's pretty much my top pick.

Rituro:
Obviously, ReBoot deserves a reboot. It's in the frakkin' name.

ReBoot just needs to put out the damn movies already.

Aww...sad Chris looked just like a sad cat for a moment there.

Gotta say though, as much fun as I had with Swat Kats, I had to agree with Kyle on this one.

It'd be nice to see a return to form in general for American cartoons. I know kids don't lie awake in anticipation of Sat morning cartoons anymore (internet and such), but shows need to be compelling enough to engender such behavior.

YES!!!, Swat Kats!!!

I was reading somewhere that the creators of the show were actively seeking a way to revive the show, dunno if it's real or just delusional trolls.

And yes, the show was definitely mindless. But awesome mindless :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Fuck yeah! We need Gargoyles back! I love that show with all my heart and would give anything for a reboot (with the same voice actors)!

IndomitableSam:

I see your "very wrong"-ness, and raise you some very, VERY awesomeness.

What do Gargoyles have against cats that can fly an F-18 fighter jet that also has a motorcycle, the badassery that is the Glove-a-Trix and their rockin' music?

Seriously, I loved SWAT Kats just for the fact that they had a cement gatling gun - both for the Turbo Kat and their Glove-a-Trix. Hell, I still want my own Glove-a-Trix. No other cartoon even comes close to that amount of awesomeness.

And fuck you, Hanna-Barbara, for cancelling it.

I've seen neither of those shows so my pick is Hey Arnold.

There's a lot you can rework with the formula and still leave it as a good show.

How was this even a competition?

Of course Gargoyles was going to beat SWAT Cats...

Now if the debate had been Gargoyles vs EXO-Squad it might have been more interesting.

Swat Katz.

It died because it was deemed "too violent and had too much death." It was replaced by the damn smurfs. People thought in the 90s violence of any kind was scary and would lead children to murder their parents or go on school shootings.

It wasn't until now did parents grew some damn balls. Even then, people still call games school shooter simulators.

It needs to come back otherwise we'd be stuck in "roommate sitcoms that are sad emulation of F.R.I.E.N.D.S" that kid shows do now.

You failed with Swat Katz because you didn't mention Callie Briggs. How can you forget about her and the lieutenant?

Swat Katz only ended because Ted Turner is a whiny twat that cried when he saw things being blown up. Seriously, he personally cancelled it. I'm betting it really happened due to it getting better ratings than his magnum opus, Captain Planet. Which was much better for kids, it talked about unprotected sex, AIDS, gun violence, and Hitler!

Also shame on you, Chris! Jim Cummings was half the cast, THAT is good enough reason!

Gargoyles Had it all man. Like the man said Ninja Turtles meets Batman TAS.
Plus all the literary references such as Macbeth, and King Arthur made it extra bacon awesome.
Of course all those reasons are extraneous because....Keith effing David!!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here