Reviews: Saints Row IV Patriotism and Dubstep Preview

Saints Row IV Patriotism and Dubstep Preview

How to be patriotic in Saints Row IV.

Watch Video

Still looks fun and funny. Here's hoping it's good as it looks.

They already have my money. I check Steam daily to see if the pre-release download will start.

I need to read things more clearly, I thought this was a REview instead of a PREview, I was wondering why this seemed like an advertisement for the game rather than a breakdown of pros and cons.

Looks incredibly fun, I will say! I particularly like the mid-air charge thingy.

Has anyone else actually looked up Scout McMillan's other work? He did "Polyhymnia", and titular dubstep track.

EDIT: The dubstep gun's track, not the trailing bit: just to clarify.

10 bucks says the V.P. will do a face-heel turn halfway through the story.

Saint's Row IV has a Bass Cannon. I must acquire this for the good of all!

I can't wait to play it! Oh wait nevermind, I'm in Australia..

Ugh...
Looks as awful as ever. ...I'm not sure what I was hoping to see though.

What happened Saints Row?

Please tell me you can still have the wonderfully awful English accent for guys, and the Russian one for the ladies?

I can't wait to play Cockney-Prez.

garjian:
Ugh...

GTA happened, though it came first.

If Saints Row stayed serious more than anything, it'd end up like Modern Warfare vs Call of Duty... but I don't think Saints Row would have done as well as Modern Warfare in the equasion.
Volition never seemed interested in keeping up with the photorealism pursuit as GTA, and that would have become a factor in the "realistic with humor, sandbox crime game" duel for one thing.
For two, GTA keeps mixing things up. Saints Row couldn't afford to keep rehashing the same rags to riches story. Focusing on another gang would kinda mess with the Saints Row thing, and either way they'd loose Gat, and well, we know how that went.

Then people are going to end up questioning why a gang making money at an absurd (and enviable) rate, and own a city with a serious intent on maintaining control would just stay a gang?
My major gripe with the with the game (And a lot of games that let you play after the plot), being what the hell do you do when you reach 100%, is why the gang couldn't logically stay a gang, IMO.
Seriously, the game got boring really fast when there were no more gangs to fight. Fighting cops is boring as hell, and pimps just aren't plentiful enough to be a viable group to fight for the sake of variety.

Saints Row 3 did the logical thing, and created an outside threat stronger than the typical gang since, well, 3 gangs, a corporation with a well equipped PMC, and the local military couldn't stop the Saints. The Saints needed a credible threat, and a bunch of gangs all on equal footing with the Saints existing in the same city can't really co-exist for the same reason they couldn't in 1, or 2.
Saints row 4 took somthing of a logical step in that lin of thinking.

How could they raelly keep the game serious in light of the needs for credibility? Which is weird, sure. A silly game needing serious reasons.

There's a benefit to sticking to the same engine. It's easier to let the player import something from the previous installment fo the game which isn't all that bad, is it?

/rambley rant

It doesn't really look like much of a sequel... more an expansion pack of SR3...
I mean sure, you've got new weapons and such, but is that it?

Did I really hear Haddaway in game?

sleeky01:
Did I really hear Haddaway in game?

Yes. yes you did. I was hoping someone else heard it too. I dont care what others say I am sold on this game. Let people praise GTA for staying "real". Somedays I just wanna punch invading aliens in the balls.

Cockney voice and layered clothing?
Does get?

Vie:
Please tell me you can still have the wonderfully awful English accent for guys, and the Russian one for the ladies?

I can't wait to play Cockney-Prez.

arcstone:
Cockney voice and layered clothing?
Does get?

The Cockney voice is still in, but no layered clothing (though many more clothing options have been added, along with most or all of the clothes from the third), nor Russian voice (replaced by a French voice to my knowledge).

Rebel_Raven:

garjian:
Ugh...

GTA happened, though it came first.

If Saints Row stayed serious more than anything, it'd end up like Modern Warfare vs Call of Duty... but I don't think Saints Row would have done as well as Modern Warfare in the equasion.
Volition never seemed interested in keeping up with the photorealism pursuit as GTA, and that would have become a factor in the "realistic with humor, sandbox crime game" duel for one thing.
For two, GTA keeps mixing things up. Saints Row couldn't afford to keep rehashing the same rags to riches story. Focusing on another gang would kinda mess with the Saints Row thing, and either way they'd loose Gat, and well, we know how that went.

Then people are going to end up questioning why a gang making money at an absurd (and enviable) rate, and own a city with a serious intent on maintaining control would just stay a gang?
My major gripe with the with the game (And a lot of games that let you play after the plot), being what the hell do you do when you reach 100%, is why the gang couldn't logically stay a gang, IMO.
Seriously, the game got boring really fast when there were no more gangs to fight. Fighting cops is boring as hell, and pimps just aren't plentiful enough to be a viable group to fight for the sake of variety.

Saints Row 3 did the logical thing, and created an outside threat stronger than the typical gang since, well, 3 gangs, a corporation with a well equipped PMC, and the local military couldn't stop the Saints. The Saints needed a credible threat, and a bunch of gangs all on equal footing with the Saints existing in the same city can't really co-exist for the same reason they couldn't in 1, or 2.
Saints row 4 took somthing of a logical step in that lin of thinking.

How could they raelly keep the game serious in light of the needs for credibility? Which is weird, sure. A silly game needing serious reasons.

There's a benefit to sticking to the same engine. It's easier to let the player import something from the previous installment fo the game which isn't all that bad, is it?

/rambley rant

*Claps* Very well put. I couldn't have said it better myself.

OT: This is looking better and better! I don't care if people say this looks like like SR3. Good, I remember saying after just completing 3 I said to myself "I WANT MORE!"

Man i wished i could get this game easy and fast over steam when it comes out... But all Saints Row titles were "violence reduced" into oblivion here in germany. I may need to import it as hardcopy and crack it so that steam can't destroy it.

schwitz:
I live in a place that does not allow me to play the games I want to.

Summerstorm:
Me too

Just get a friend in the UK to buy it for you. I did.

Also Haddaway in SR4? #winning

If Stephen Colbert doesn't at least make a CAMEO in this game, I'm going to be incredibly disappointed.

So basically someone made a game out of that Idiocracy movie. Guess this will probably be the post that finally gets me banned like everyone else in these banned corpse ridden forums.

Mick P.:
So basically someone made a game out of that Idiocracy movie. Guess this will probably be the post that finally gets me banned like everyone else in these banned corpse ridden forums.

It's actually pretty hard to get banned--or even warned-- here if you aren't a complete asshole. So the people who get the boot generally deserve it and if you have a problem with that, then why waste your time posting needless things here?

OT: This game looks amazing. I love Saints Row simply because it's just so over the top and funny and fun. A dubstep gun? Awesome. And Kieth David inexplicably playing himself at the VP is worth 60 dollars on its own.

Jacco:

Mick P.:

It's actually pretty hard to get banned--or even warned-- here if you aren't a complete asshole. So the people who get the boot generally deserve it and if you have a problem with that, then why waste your time posting needless things here?

OT: This game looks amazing. I love Saints Row simply because it's just so over the top and funny and fun. A dubstep gun? Awesome. And Kieth David inexplicably playing himself at the VP is worth 60 dollars on its own.

That's not true. I like this forum. But it's got serious problems in the human rights abuse dept. I'm on probation and a I am a goody two shoes upright citizen bleeding heart liberal. So I am going to just have to quit posting before I commit more thought crimes it seems. This is my last post per board, so please don't respond.

Good forums, bad policies.

Mick P.:

Jacco:

Mick P.:

That's not true. I like this forum. But it's got serious problems in the human rights abuse dept. I'm on probation and a I am a goody two shoes upright citizen bleeding heart liberal. So I am going to just have to quit posting before I commit more thought crimes it seems. This is my last post per board, so please don't respond.

Good forums, bad policies.

Not sure if I understand what you said but, this forum and all other internet sites not directly controlled by a governement are private property, meaning that free speech rules don't apply here. I don't spend much time here so I don't know how the banning situation is, but it seems prety average. People being assholes getting banned/warned, spammers get banned and people that disrespect the forum rules, getting warned then banned if they continue disregarding the warnings. Just like any other forum.

OT: Really looking forwad to this, I'm going to miss the ridiculos customization of the older games, but the hilarious over the top action and open world makes me want to trow money at the screen.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here