Winter is Coming

Pages PREV 1 2

JackBauer47:

Thunderous Cacophony:

JackBauer47:
How does "The World's End" not make the list?

That is the most summery of summer movies. This piece is focusing on things in the fall/winter.

Not "This is the End", "The World's End" from Pegg/Frost/Wright. Its release date is August 23rd, which is covered by this list.

Much like a movie directed my Martin Scorsese, you kind of already know exactly what your getting with that movie, although it will be interesting to see Pegg as quite a different kind of loser (the guy who never really grew out of college) than his other characters.

Oldboy remake?!

No.
No no no.
No no no no no.

They're actually gonna go through with this? Seriously? Christ, I still remember when people were talking about a remake directed by Spielberg starring Will Smith in the lead. You can't imagine how relieved I was when all of that died a silent death.

But now, out of the fucking blue, in 2013, we're still getting that remake?!
Directed by Spike Lee?
Starring S. L. Jackson?

I'm sorry, but I don't see how this could possibly end well. Park's passion for the still shot, the synesthesia of waltz music and horrible acts of violence, the pitch black humor, etc. This film doesn't need a remake. I mean, how do you even plan on topping stuff like the protagonist's reaction at the end? Or the hallway scene? Or the squid scene?

As if the Bollywood remake wasn't bad enough.

Hm, even the Oscar Baits are looking interesting, and I'm so happy with this year's coming up sci-fi lineup!

RTR:
Part of me really wants Monuments Men to be WWII meets Ocean's Eleven

Yeah, that comes to mind but instead of stealing, it would be securing, defending and protecting. I definably wish that people would talk about these men more as they protected culture from war and this movie would get people to do so.

Elysium is looking good: loved Blomkamp's District 9 and would love to see how he depicts the class struggle, immigration restriction, and the like as he did really well with Apartheid.

Machete Kills will be fun to watch, went along with the insanity of the original and want to see how this goes and what if anything Rodriguez will make a point about.

Wolf of Wall Street may also be interesting. Dicaprio is a killer actor and with one of the great directors at the helm, this should be fun.

Not looking forward to Oldboy. It will probably be good but it will pale before the original and a lot of the Korean culture that may influence the orignal will be gone or misinterpreted

Nouw:
Samuel L. Jackson is playing the 'prison' manager guy I believe which should be great. Django Unchained reminded me that he can play more than just the stereotypical badass black dude.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
My other issue with the Oldboy remake is that they're essentially remaking the middle chapter of a trilogy. Oldboy forms the second part of the Vengeance trilogy, the other parts being Sympathy For Mr Vengeance, and Sympathy For Lady Vengeance. While they're not connected narratively, they have the same thematic ideas running through, to the point that they really do feel like three chapters of a larger narrative. Oldboy on its own is sublime, but Oldboy as part of a three-act study on revenge is just incredible.

Without that context, I don't think the remake will have anywhere near the same power or emotion.

Eh I think that's going to be less of an issue. While yeah it'd be much grander if they tackled all three films, arguably Mr. Vengeance has more going for it as to why it shouldn't be remade, but as you said it's sublime in its own right and especially considering this film is more or less a more mainstream Oldboy to appeal to a broader audience, it should work well as a stand-alone. Having said that, I'm looking forward to this film only because it's more Oldboy. I'm not holding my breath but at the very least I hope it gives the original more attention.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/park-chan-wooks-sympathy-for-mr-vengeance-getting-a-remake/

Unfortunately, they are going to remake all of the films. I was hoping that they would stay away from Mr. Vengeance, as itīs my favourite of the three and i donīt really see what an Americanisation would add to it...
Iīm gonna avoid all the remakes as the plague as i donīt really see the point. Itīs like the american remake of Let The Right One In, why even bother?

Aside from that, iīm not really that up to date with upcoming films at the moment. But i usually watch a lot of smaller movies during the fall, mostly because a lot of movies are postponed to january and february here in Denmark (Not sure why, probably something to do with the oscars). Fortunately it often leads to better experiences as the local niche cinema usually has a lot of cool stuff during the fall, great movies released during the year from a wide variety of countries, both small and bigger releases.

TheRightToArmBears:
I have to say, Elysium sounds awesome.

If Elysium sounds good to you then I highly recommend that you check out the Battle Angel Alita manga series which, judging from the trailers, this movies rips off mercilessly. I cannot spot a single iota of original thought in the trailers that I've seen for this movie. I am also, as a fan of Battle Angel, still incredibly disappointed that James Cameron (who holds the rights for a film adaptation of the manga) is still, apparently, just sitting on the project.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Really worried about the Oldboy remake. The original was such a perfect film, there's nothing I can see a remake adding to it. I know Spike Lee is a great director when he's on form, but even so, Oldboy as it is already is just sublime. The hallway fight, the octopus scene, the plot twists, the pitch-perfect casting and acting... everything is just spot on.

Watching the original Oldboy is on my 'To Do' list but I suspect that this remake will be similar to the American versions of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and Let the Right One In. Unnecessary, forgettable and in every way worse than the original.

MrBaskerville:
http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/park-chan-wooks-sympathy-for-mr-vengeance-getting-a-remake/

Unfortunately, they are going to remake all of the films. I was hoping that they would stay away from Mr. Vengeance, as itīs my favourite of the three and i donīt really see what an Americanisation would add to it...
Iīm gonna avoid all the remakes as the plague as i donīt really see the point. Itīs like the american remake of Let The Right One In, why even bother?

Aside from that, iīm not really that up to date with upcoming films at the moment. But i usually watch a lot of smaller movies during the fall, mostly because a lot of movies are postponed to january and february here in Denmark (Not sure why, probably something to do with the oscars). Fortunately it often leads to better experiences as the local niche cinema usually has a lot of cool stuff during the fall, great movies released during the year from a wide variety of countries, both small and bigger releases.

Ugh. I don't even want to delve into why Mr.Vengeance would be worse off but on the positive side, I hope they take out the stupid piece of dialogue at the end of the film. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.

am I the only one that tought the gravity would have been so much better without sound. Everything has to be so incredibly loud all the time now that people forget how effective silence can be. it would just be so jarring to see that destruction and not hear anything

They also worked to "flag" buildings, museums and statuary of historic value so that Allied bombers would know what not to destroy during bombings, ultimately saving countless irreplaceable artifacts that might otherwise have been lost to history.

Really? The High Cathedral of St. Peter in my home city, containing among other priceless artifacts the Shrine of the Three Kings (the remains of those three dudes bringing presents to baby Jesus) was hit by 70 (seventy!!!) bombs. Saint Ursula was almost completely destroyed, the historic Golden Chamber barely escaping destruction. There are a lot more examples I could name and that is just my own home city.

I'm really curious about that movie now...

The Dubya:
Tom Hanks...playing WALT FREAKIN DISNEY...telling the behind the scenes of one of the more beloved Disney films "Mary Poppins", i.e. Hollywood gets it chance to pat itself on the back for how awesomely awesome they are...

GEE, I WONDER WHO'S GOING TO WIN BEST PICTURE AT NEXT YEAR'S OSCARS. THIS IS GOING TO BE SUCH A CLOSE RACE.

My money was on the steve jobs movie coming out.

OT: Nothing incredibly noteworthy but some stuff like elysium might be kinda cool.

Nouw:

MrBaskerville:

Ugh. I don't even want to delve into why Mr.Vengeance would be worse off but on the positive side, I hope they take out the stupid piece of dialogue at the end of the film. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.

I can't be the only one here who loved Let Me In as much as Lat Den Ratte Komme In, can I?

RoonMian:

They also worked to "flag" buildings, museums and statuary of historic value so that Allied bombers would know what not to destroy during bombings, ultimately saving countless irreplaceable artifacts that might otherwise have been lost to history.

Really? The High Cathedral of St. Peter in my home city, containing among other priceless artifacts the Shrine of the Three Kings (the remains of those three dudes bringing presents to baby Jesus) was hit by 70 (seventy!!!) bombs. Saint Ursula was almost completely destroyed, the historic Golden Chamber barely escaping destruction. There are a lot more examples I could name and that is just my own home city.

You do realize that at the start of the allied bombing campaign that simply hitting the correct city was considered a success?

Both sides bombed historical sites by accident and on purpose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coventry_Blitz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baedeker_Blitz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Mannheim_in_World_War_II

OlasDAlmighty:
Is it bad that the movie I'm most excited for is MACHETE KILLS?

Not at all. It's definitely the movie I'm most excited to see out of this list. I suppose I'll be keeping an eye on all of them, though.

Ed130:

RoonMian:

You do realize that at the start of the allied bombing campaign that simply hitting the correct city was considered a success?

Both sides bombed historical sites by accident and on purpose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coventry_Blitz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baedeker_Blitz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing_of_Mannheim_in_World_War_II

Oh sorry, I didn't realise the Ministry of Propaganda by the NSDAP had also made a movie about their heroic historic art saving special unit... Oh wait.

You missed the point there a little.

Besides, do you know how my home city looked like in the 1940s? There was hardly a building taller than five stories and then smack at the middle there is this:
More than 500 feet tall. And it wasn't his by one or the other stray bomb. It was hit by 70 (again: SEVENTY!!!) bombs. Volunteers were camping on the roof to put out the fire bombs thrown on it when the whole city around it was already reduced to rubble. The rubble you see on the picture? 95% of the city looked like this. There was already nobody living in the city anymore and it was still bombed into oblivion.

That's why I said I am curious about the movie. Because if it handles that special unit any more seriously than "The Men Who Stare at Goats" then I'll have a hard time believing that "they were real, they were awesome" part when it is true what MovieBob's column said about them telling allied bombers not to drop bombs on historic sites.

After reading the wiki article on Tomorrowland, it sounds like it's more of a continuation of that period of time when Disney thought basing movies off of it's attractions was a good idea after Pirates of the Caribbean, giving us the masterpiece that was The Haunted Mansion.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here