The Big Picture: The New Originals

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

The New Originals

MovieBob wants you to support original movies like Pacific Rim this summer!

Watch Video

Bob is far better a film critic and pop culture historian than he is "social justice pioneer" and author.

I very much plan to see Pacific Rim if it ever comes to cinemas near me, shame it isn't though; I'll have to get a train to an IMAX in London to see it.

Already bought my ticket and am seeing it on Saturday afternoon with 3 or 4 friends in NYC in... unfortunately, 3D.

Plus, hey, even if the plot sucks it's Giant Robots fighting Kaiju. How can you go wrong with that?

I was looking for a good analogy to convince my girlfriend to see this with me. Evangelion live action with no whiny emo teen lead? Yes please.

Was planning to see it with my sister later this week, and this just cemented that.

Seriously guys if Hollywood learns that new woods maybe it will apply to games?

I was already planning on seeing the movie for pretty much this reason; Getting out to a theatre is a hassle, but I'm willing to support Del Toro and giant robots any day of the week.

Plus, if we're lucky, someone might finally trust that chubby genius with a Cthulhu movie.

With you 100% on this one Bob. Besides, what other movie shows a giant robot smashing a giant monster over the head with a battle cruiser?

You know it's gunna be good when the trailers for the Monster vs Mechs are somehow less obnoxious then the ones for the cowboy movie.

I'm waiting to see it on my birthday.

As I have seen Only god forgives.... Don't go and see it. It was a bore to sit through and so underplayed, I almost feel asleep.

I am excited about Pacific Rim too. But that excitement is tempered by the fact that I HAVE seen so much that is in this film before. In everything Bob cites and more. It's a remake/reboot/rehash in everything but name. Ever see an adaptation and say "it would have been great as a standalone film and wasn't connected to X franchise" That is Pacific Rim. The only reason this movie is being made is BECAUSE it is so derivative of other successful franchises, but drops all the weird baggage Western audiences will find alienating. I am more excited about Elysium for the same reasons. I am not for a second saying that a movie needs to be 100% original to be good. But I am saying there is no way in hell this would have been greenlit if during the pitch meeting Del Toro had not mentioned all the franchises it was based on. It's a small step towards originality and if it tanks at the box office then we are very much back at square 1 (until they make a Irredeemable film or whatever). If it is a box office smash, then nothing will change because Hollywood is Hollywood where money talks and bullshit is what they shovel.

Wait? There is a Carrie remake???

Also why do I get a feeling this video was made as a way to make up for Scott Pilgrim Vs The world financial failure? Still I do agreed with you, Hollywood really can't be arse trying to come up with something original and rely on re make/ boot/ imgining.

Either way I do intend to watch it this Saturday with or without my Uncle (who I've been watching the Summer films with most of the time).

Pacific Rim: Yes.

Elysium? Isn't that just another class disparity movie? Am I missing something?

These videos are so much more fun when Bob is all fired up. :)

i dont watch a lot of movies so I probably won't go see pacific rim without knowing if its good.

I'm just hoping that if Pacific Rim is a hit, Del Toro gets to make that Call of Cthulu movie he's been trying to get going for...well, ever.

So, that's a 2X pointless episode combo Bob has going on...(as most of The Escapist's community will most likely go see this anyway, and I still don't buy that "geek" has become the new mainstream)

I hope "this" ends soon.

I don't think you needed to bother Bob. This movie has a had a huge marketing campaign and as you yourself have stated it is "our" time now and if this movie appeals to anyone it is the mainstream nerd.
I've been planing to see it since I had seen the trailer and found out Guillermo Del Toro was directing. I'll be watching this weekend.

Going to see on my birthday since I loved the old Godzilla Movies and really like anime.

P.S. Anyone else want to play L.A. Noire whenever they hear Bobs music?

P.S.S Anyone know how the hell to get this stupid SUB ad out of the chat box?!

I totally understand and relate to Bob's thoughts on second-guessing what he liked. I always say, in regards to my own personal tastes, "I may not always know what I like, but I definitely know what I don't like."

...Also, apparently, certain surveys or whatever are saying that Grown-Ups 2 is going to do better then Pacific Rim. Considering the context of this video, that's just sad.

Chessrook44:
Already bought my ticket and am seeing it on Saturday afternoon with 3 or 4 friends in NYC in... unfortunately, 3D.

Plus, hey, even if the plot sucks it's Giant Robots fighting Kaiju. How can you go wrong with that?

Actually; I think this is one of those movies that benefits from 3D. It looks to be a movie heavy on the visual effects; and if that's the case, the 3D aspect can improve the experience. Kinda like how Avatar wasn't anything special story wise (Pocahontas in space), but the visuals were spectacular and the 3D enhanced that part of the immersion.

Just my opinion.

Zero Serenity:
Evangelion live action with no whiny emo teen lead? Yes please.

&

Thunderous Cacophony:
Plus, if we're lucky, someone might finally trust that chubby genius with a Cthulhu movie.

That's the main reason I'm going to be honest. If the movie does well, then maybe we'll finally get a big budget Mountains of Madness and some Mecha movies.

So MovieBob is too young to remember Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla then...

Seriously though, i'm still very much on the fence for this movie.

Likes: GDT, Giant Robots, Giant Monsters... looks perfect "on paper".

But...

Dislikes: Giant Robots needing to be controlled by two people linked together (apparently they have computers in the future, they're just not as good as ours and make no sense. If you're going to have two operators have a pilot and gunner or something not completely stupid looking like two people having to do the same exact thing to move the robot. I've heard the explanation and it gets dumber every time I hear it). Giant Robots having to punch the Giant Monsters (sort of retracted, the latest trailer showed the robots having rocket pods but until then it was Real Steel with monsters in it). Washed up veteran getting second chance by teaming up with talented rookie story line being the most cliched and stupid storyline they could have added.

So... i'm still not sold. In theory it could be awesome. However, the trailers make it look too much like GDT is trying to be Michael Bay, which I can't support.

A movie that is about giant mechs fighting monsters like some old school Godzilla flick? You bet your Bostonian-ass I'm seeing that. The fact that Guillermo Del Toro is directing it only makes me want to see it more, hopefully it doesn't flop.

Fret not, Hollywood still has lots of European comic books to rip when they are done with American stuff. Slaine I summon thee!

Lono Shrugged:
I am excited about Pacific Rim too. But that excitement is tempered by the fact that I HAVE seen so much that is in this film before. In everything Bob cites and more. It's a remake/reboot/rehash in everything but name. Ever see an adaptation and say "it would have been great as a standalone film and wasn't connected to X franchise" That is Pacific Rim. The only reason this movie is being made is BECAUSE it is so derivative of other successful franchises, but drops all the weird baggage Western audiences will find alienating.

But you can say the same thing about Star Wars, which was a pastiche of old pulp sci-fi serials (e.g. Flash Gordon), World War II films, and samurai films, with some Dune, Lord of the Rings, and hard-boiled noir mixed in. Or Star Trek, which was 40s and 50s era space opera and Golden Age science fiction with a thematic core of Kennedy-era optimism. Transformers was basically a Western translation of Japanese giant robot stories. These franchises didn't come into existence from nothing.

Yeah, a superficially derivative original franchise like Pacific Rim relies on things we've seen before. But it does new things with them, and allows people to get excited about the setting and the characters and the lore in new ways, instead of being forced into endless debates about canon and what's acceptable for this and that franchise. Yes, if Pacific Rim is successful and begets a whole multimedia franchise it will eventually have the same debates over canon and the same fan cliques forming, but there's nothing wrong with that. As long as there's something new alongside the established works.

I can understand Bob's plight. I'm getting tired of the same retreads of past properties. While I would like to see a reboot of Monster Squad one day, I'd also like to see something new hit theaters and airwaves. Having to reboot/revamp/revise older properties isn't good for cinema and Hollywood needs to rethink its movie-making strategy before the implosion predictions of Lucas and Spielberg come to pass.

I'm going to see Pacific Rim this weekend. I've enjoyed Del Toro's work on Hellboy and on Blade 2 and this looks very promising. See you on opening weekend.

I'm sick of going to the movies. It's a hassle, it's expensive, it's full of annoying people, the sound is either too loud or grating, the queues, the advertisements and so on...

Admittedly, buying a blu-ray or dvd or whatever is a bit more expensive, but it's so much nicer to just get a disc or through an online service and do it at your own pace, you choice of time, the ability to pause it and so on.

With that in mind, it's kind of scary that the people attending cinemas are something you judge a movie by. I could imagine it would be a problem somewhere down the line, when we're much more adjusted to online services and the home cinemas that an increasing amount of people own.

So I won't go support it in cinemas, but depending on the reactions, I'll likely get it on blu-ray.

While I'm in 100% agreement, another problem is it can jade people in the wrong way. I've actually heard some people be cautious of Pacific Rim because of an ignorant thought process of "giant robots? Like Transformers? But that sucked". Regardless of the director, cast, different style AND THE FACT IT IS ABOUT GIANT MONSTERS, NOT JUST ROBOTS, the fact it has giant robots "like" another film is an issue for some.

I would say their loss but as this episode points out, we don't want that either.

... Yes. I wonder if bob (now after watching the film) still feels the same, coz the reviews so far are not to complementary.

Funcakes:

Yes, but in outer space and with power armor. :)

Bob, the only thing you needed to have said to get me to want to watch Pacific Rim before learning of any reviews was to mention that Pan's Labyrinth was involved.

Pan's Labyrinth is the film I love the most, ever. The fact it's connected in someway to Pacific Rim makes me giddy.

Angnor:

Funcakes:

Yes, but in outer space and with power armor. :)

and the director of District 9 at the helm so he will at least make good efforts on the allegory.

A must see in my book

I'm not really into giant robots so I'm going to sit this one out. Still appreciate the video Moviebob

I don't mean to be a dick, but I don't really know where "del toro is a genius" comes from.

Yeah, he has gotten a lot of praise as some sort of underground luminary, but I find this mostly some form of mainstream finding his movies charmingly quirky, and oh so brave, when they are anything but.

Chronos was a dumb story with good world and tension building, Devil's Backbone was exactly the same, only added some really grotesque political caricature, Pan's labyrinth was a really basic story with some monstrously grotesque and shamefully blunt inclusion of war and politics. Hellboy has nice characters but the movies themselves are a mess with some nice creature design... so... Really? Genius?
All I've seen from him has the subtlety of an old pole dancing stripper in a g-string. And Pacific Rim doesn't seem bound to change that impression.

That said, I do support Bob's assessment of supporting new Ideas, although particularly this one (and some others he mentioned) seem like shallow self-gratificating pyrotechnic exercises with the sole intention of simply spawning as many sequels as possible (if successful). Imagine how many spin-off toys of pacific rim we could have!

Still I guess.. new is new, and one does ask for new often.

...Maybe I'm just being too critical.

S'funny, I was watching this and gearing up to hit the comments by saying "So much yes!" and then linking to the other films coming out this year that happen to be new IPs that I'm choking to watch: Elysium and The World's End. Then Bob goes at points at them for me.

I think we've all been saying the same thing - I don't particularly care if it kinda sucks, I'm just glad it's not a remake/reboot/sequel and I hope I can have a big dumb blast watching mechs and kaiju thump each other. Then next week I get the next Pegg/Wright vehicle, then next month the new film from the guy who blessed us with District 9.

Since the on base theater will undoubtedly be showing it in 3D only like every other big movie they've shown since they got the 3D equipment in, I'll likely wait until it shows off base. Amusingly, this means I'll be watching a kaiju/big robot movie in English with Japanese subtitles.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here