The Big Picture: The New Originals

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

The video game industry and gamers everywhere need to see this video.

Drauger:
I'm not paying to see this movie, I don't know if the movie is good or bad, but just watching the trailers makes me scream "EVANGELION RIP OFF!!!!" and well I can't see it , I won't enjoy it.

It bothers me A LOT that movie bob is calling this thing a new ip, something "fresh" I mean, probably for hollywood movies is "kind of new" but come on .... it is ripping Evangelion even in the poster

And as I saw the trailer it keeps ripping more and more, sorry I just ugh .... it's not original ok?

Then the fact that del toro is directing it makes it even worse, the only movie in wich I have fallen sleep in a cinema is hellboy, yeah i know a lot of people liked it, but I just don care for del toro directing.

I think people nowadays easily confuse ripping off with paying homage to.

Like that poster, for a movie where the director has outright said that he's paying homage to the Kaiju genre and mecha anime. When an artist puts a theme in a painting similar to another, he isn't ripping off, he's alluding to the original. I think that's exactly what's happening here.

Ever since Pacific Rim was shown to me as a trailer, I couldn't stop thinking about it. Every articles, news, and paper about it got me more and more hyped. GLaDOS's voice is going to be in this movie (the actual actress voicing her), Del Toro is behind the movie, and the story + graphics are amazing. Plus, it doesn't take place in just the USA!! Finally, I can see different cities and cultures during the fight scenes.

Also who doesn't like giant robots fighting alien/sea monsters that reminds me of a certain anime but also reminds me of the classic Godzilla movies? I'm definitely going to see this in IMAX but no 3D thank you.

Oh and one more thing: The movie is original. I agree with Bob, there's been so many remakes and sequels that I wasn't even hyped for Superman because I knew what was to come even if it wasn't exactly like the comics or previous movies. Only the Dark Knight pulled a fast one and it's still my favorite today, despite being a sequel.

Last week I thought Bob was being kinda smug and I couldn't watch his video twice to try and decipher a little more meaning out of it. This week I really do think Bob is making a good point. It's really unfortunate I can't ACTUALLY go and see this movie, especially this movie. I so want to see Pacific Rim. Alas, I have a crippling fear of watching movies on cinima screens due to the vertigo issues I have with them. Huge sweeping landscape shots, and towering robot monster fights are probably not the best for my vertigo issues. I think I'll do what I did with the Hobbit though, go pay for a few full price tickets and then go home and watch it somewhere online. I know it's still supporting piracy, but at least I'm paying for a ticket as well.

Anyway Bob, I very much agree with you this week. It's good to note, that people don't always have to disagree on everything, and common ground can be found between most people.

:3

Yet another action movie? Yeah, that sure sounds new, different and creative.

Wise Mr Bob, very wise... but i being a poor man have only my dreams... so um where was i gonig with this? I can't afford to see it before end of month as i'm super poor this month but probally will as soon as possible.

I am going to see this. I've been really looking forward to it.

But...

My favorite movie of the Summer so far, has been The Lone Ranger. A movie I feel people have been too hard on. Now before you pull the whole "That movie was terrible" and other such stuff on me let me just explain this, I loved The Lone Ranger because I was able to have fun. I don't judge movies on the quality of their scripts, the quality of the acting and such. I judge them on how much I enjoyed them. And I was gripped in The Lone Ranger. I was laughing and on the edge of my seat in the action. I can overlook the movies flaws simply because I enjoyed it in spite of those flaws. So I'll probably love Pacific Rim. And I'll probably love The Wolverine unless it somehow manages to bore me to death.

I agree with him on every aspect here except the "Del Toro is a living God" part. I don't think he's a particularly good film maker. He just happened to make decent films that people liked and ended up riding that wave. While I hesitate to compare him to Shamalan (I don't hate him that much) I think his career got started in very much the same way.

Drauger:
I'm not paying to see this movie, I don't know if the movie is good or bad, but just watching the trailers makes me scream "EVANGELION RIP OFF!!!!" and well I can't see it , I won't enjoy it.

It bothers me A LOT that movie bob is calling this thing a new ip, something "fresh" I mean, probably for hollywood movies is "kind of new" but come on .... it is ripping Evangelion even in the poster

And as I saw the trailer it keeps ripping more and more, sorry I just ugh .... it's not original ok?

Then the fact that del toro is directing it makes it even worse, the only movie in wich I have fallen sleep in a cinema is hellboy, yeah i know a lot of people liked it, but I just don care for del toro directing.

That scene in the poster is older then EVA, scenes like that were used in the original Gundam series.

EVA wasn't all that original either. Giant robots fighting monsters has been around for ages, the themes involved in EVA seem vastly different to Pacific Rim as well, such as all the religious themes etc.

The movie is not even out yet, so how can you call it a ripoff. Due to one image that seems like a similar image to EVA that wasn't even the first to do it? That seems silly, especially since anyone can tell this movie is an homage to big monster fighting robot stuff in general.

Relax, watch it or don't, but do not claim ripoff when it is not. Because there are a lot of differences you can tell by the trailers alone.

Okay I don't know how many people have said this already because I don't want to read the whole thread, but here I go:

Yes indeed; 'new IPs' are not what we are looking for when we ask for originality. Super Mario Bros was a sequel to two arcade games. And it, along with Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Party, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, and three Mario & Luigi games are some of the most original games possible.

BUT, at the same time, yeah, IPs carry with them the potential drag known as 'brand name recognition'. EG: if Disneytoon studios were making an original cartoon movie about an original cast of characters, they may be able to make it interesting, but since they were making 101 Dalmations 2, they were required by mandate to do absolutely nothing creative at risk of harming the brand.

Edit:
And people saying that Pacific Rim is really pretty unoriginal, come on! It has Ellen McLain doing a somewhat-scary artificial intelligence voice!

chozo_hybrid:

Relax, watch it or don't, but do not claim ripoff when it is not. Because there are a lot of differences you can tell by the trailers alone.

Exactly, Evangelion is a deconstruction of the genre, Pacific Rim is a homage to it. Seriously, Pacific Rim has more in common with Gurren Lagann than it does Evangelion. Even the design of Gipsy Danger looks more like Tetsujin 28 than Evangelion.

I couldn't disagree more with this video, the trailer makes it look utterly unoriginal and derivative. A movie about big monsters/robots hitting each other and destroying the scenery is hardly new, when did the Godzilla sequels do that? Whether it rips off or pays homage to other IPs such as Godzilla, Neon Genesis, Portal is irrelevant to me, i don't want to see a movie where that is made out to be a big part of it. Scott Pilgrim and Wreck-It Ralph worked because they used homage to embellish great stories and characters but this movie portrays itself as being about the action and that is nowhere near enough for me to want to go and see it. I could be wrong, i hope i'm wrong but going by what i've seen and heard it looks boring.

themilo504:
i dont watch a lot of movies so I probably won't go see pacific rim without knowing if its good.

How will you know if it is good if you don't go see it?

I agree with the sentiment. I agree that Del Toro is a fantastic filmmaker, and I'll almost certainly go see it. Heck, I may drag friends along.

But I have to confess that part of me says, "If mecha robots fighting Godzilla-style monsters is what qualifies as 'original' in this day and age, from the point of view of all that pioneering-cultural-exploration thing, aren't we kind of f@#$ed?"

I mean, yeah, it's not actually based on Voltron or Robotech or any of the other anime mecha series, or on Godzilla or Mothra or one of their kin. But that nagging voice says that it takes a pretty sad wasteland of reboots and Twilight wannabes to make us say that giant robots fighting sea monsters is something fresh and pioneering.

PoolCleaningRobot:
I'm kinda surprised, I expected people to be complaining that Bob was encouraging originality for the sake of originality. I agree with him though, and I plan on seeing Pacific Rim with my friends when it comes out. Its getting ridiculous the amount of sequels and reboots in hollywood. We complain about it in video games but there are practically no movies coming out that aren't based on something, even if they are good

MacNille:
I almost feel asleep.

Not sure if genuine typo or cleaver Metal Gear joke

It was a typo.

Movie Bob goes on to like pretty much every super heroe movie of the last few years, to the point where he sounded like he was trying his hardest to force himself to like the Green Lantern (he made at least 2 videos on that film), but then goes on to tell us he isn't biased, and is now trying to sell himself as an advocate for original ideas?

Sorry, I don't buy it.

Bob has always been heavily biased towards certain movies, and whilst I don't always have a problem with this, I do have a problem with him coming this far down the line, and trying to argue the toss that he isn't.

I will confirm I do agree with his opinion of supporting original ideas. But, I'm not doing so because Bob said so.

Yeah and I am just sitting here in South Africa, waiting another 3 weeks(i think) for the release of this movie... Thanks for the itch Bob...

Mimic. There, now stop claiming del Toro is perfect. Actually, it was not until Pan's Labyrinth that he really started pulling ratings higher than 7 on IMDB (and that site is well know for being generous). He has been on quite a run over the last few years, and considering the kind of money poured into Pacific Rim ($180M+), it *should* be great. This premise of synchronized movement controls through a neural interface at first (and second) glance seems contrived, highly implausible, and ultimately a hindrance to immersion. If that is the only flaw, then this will probably be a 8.5/10.

One other aspect to consider - the main production company is Legendary Pictures (MoS, Hangover Pt 3, Wrath/Clash of the Titans, Sucker Punch, and it keeps going on and on). They have some hits, but for every one there are two or three stinkers that were all billed as 'blockbusters' with heavy ad campaigns dumping Millions into ad space, before the reviewers set us straight. Now, del Toro should have been more than just the director on this, so he probably kept Legendary from messing it up. But it is like seeing the logo for Lionsgate appear on a movie you were not even sure you wanted to see in the first place. It is a really good indication that if the movie sucks at the start, it will only get worse. You only have 30 minutes to leave the cinema to get a refund, so always wear a watch and if you even look at it in the first 30 minutes, then it is not going well for that movie. I have left 9/10 Lionsgate movies in the last 8 years, all within the first 15 - 20 minutes, and none were ever a mistake. I consider Legendary to be a much better funded version of Lionsgate, but they tend to spend it all on CG instead of all the other ingredients that make good movie. I have only left 3 Legendary pictures, but for some reason I tend to avoid their releases based on their premises alone (or I am just lucky).

So rush out and see it on opening weekend? It will depend on what my favorite and trusted critics say. There is no point in flipping coins when we have reliable sources.

I know this has been said before, but the idea of Giant Robots fighting giant godzilla style monsters isn't exactly the most original thing in the world. After all, there was this little show called Neon Genesis Evangelion......

Also, the GLaDOS voice is in it. Hell yeah.

I'm still going to go see it unless it ends up being awful.

I went into this video ready to disagree with Bob, but I mostly agree. However, the only reason that matters for me with Pacific Rim is it looks awesome.

Funcakes:
Elysium? Isn't that just another class disparity movie? Am I missing something?

Another class disparity movie by the guy who did District 9.

I'm going to go see it, not only because it's going to be a damn fine movie, but so Blomkamp can finally get to doing Halo justice.

Drauger:
snip

Pacific Rim has more in common with Big O, Gundam, or Robotech, then EVA.

Sheesh!

No, I will not see Pacific Rim. I only support low budget films with practical effects, mostly the stuff that never makes it to theater, the kind of cheesy unintentionally hilarious shit with questionable acting that Obscurus Lupa, Phelous, Welshy, the Cinema Snob, & Diamanda Hagen review.

Seen here: Only the best movie ever made.

I wonder if making IP expire after ten years would cut down on the number of reboots and remakes?

I know I'm late to post but...
Original? Really? One word: Ultraman.
More than one word: Seriously, how did you not see this?

TransEquus:
If Robot Jox is as good a Giant Robot movies as we are going to get, we should never make another giant robot movie again. That film was an abomination.

That was my point LOL

Terramax:
Movie Bob goes on to like pretty much every super heroe movie of the last few years, to the point where he sounded like he was trying his hardest to force himself to like the Green Lantern (he made at least 2 videos on that film), but then goes on to tell us he isn't biased, and is now trying to sell himself as an advocate for original ideas?

Sorry, I don't buy it.

Bob has always been heavily biased towards certain movies, and whilst I don't always have a problem with this, I do have a problem with him coming this far down the line, and trying to argue the toss that he isn't.

I will confirm I do agree with his opinion of supporting original ideas. But, I'm not doing so because Bob said so.

But that's Bob non Fn stop lol. asking gamers to lighten up than shitting all over Lone ranger. As if he had a huge responsibility in his position to warn anyone, it was common knowledge critics hated the movie. It was common knowledge the movie was bombing by the time he dumped on it.

So basically he crapped on it cause he wanted to. Look just cause this movie has a bunch of different races, and is open minded and hugs rainbows and kittens and fights giant monsters doesn't mean I'm gonna like it.

And it's not about 5.50-10.00 for a ticket either. I'm not sure i wanna see this at the dollar show. Hell I'm not sure when this is on TNT or TBS i won't change the channel lol 2-3 years from now. It looks stupid.

Bob has a steal iron woody for Del Toro.
and he has a bug up his butt about deep these days. Nuff said.

Again I can't stress this enough..
Go see Red 2.

The first one was alot fun.

The Rotten Tomatoes reviews are already up. 84%.
By all accounts this movie is great fun so I'm definitely watching it.

I doubt many people are going to go watch Pacific rim because it's creative, new and original.

Most are probably going to see it because it's GAINT MONSTERS VERSUS GAINT ROBOTS!!!!

wery well done bob, i totally agree with you. you are much better when you speak about movies and not "omg you nerds suck".
I certainly do support new movies. i watch a lot of new movies, even indie ones, more than remakes. Though doubtful oen person is impacting that much.

and theres another stopper
pacific rim: not coming to a theater in your country.
yay?

Strazdas:
wery well done bob, i totally agree with you. you are much better when you speak about movies and not "omg you nerds suck".
I certainly do support new movies. i watch a lot of new movies, even indie ones, more than remakes. Though doubtful oen person is impacting that much.

yay?

I think you guys remind that Bob gave MAchette a verbal blow job like it was a riveting ground breaking piece.

go look.... it's like i'm being trolled.

I just hope the machines aren't made from the monsters they're fighting; otherwise it's going to feel like they're ripping off eva, like they did in bayonetta.

PedalTank:

luvd1:
... Yes. I wonder if bob (now after watching the film) still feels the same, coz the reviews so far are not to complementary.

Not sure where you got that. Has a 85% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Indeed. I notice they have empire online review as positive, which it isn't. Empire gave it 3 stars and called It "A big, brash, unpretentious B movie that lives down to its billing: robots punching monsters - it does what it says on the Rim." To quote some of the review "These humans rarely rise above the risible. As thinly drawn as their teatime-TV ancestors, they are heroes as mechanical as the robots, pre-programmed with personal issues (chiefly dead relatives), too easily overcome. The performances get no further than their overcharged names: Charlie Hunnam is gravel-voiced maverick Raleigh Becket; Rinko Kikuchi his troubled, greenhorn co-pilot Mako Mori; while Idris Elba, as the unit's commander Stacker Pentecost, stomps out dialogue so wooden and portentous, you fear the apocalypse may be over by the time he's finished."
Even IGN was not impressed and that's IGN. From my take on what I hear, it's not bad but just not as good as you think it should be.

I'm going to go see it. But I'm a geek and this speaks directly to me. The references, the iconography, the wild exaggeration - I'm all for that. Others will probably not be.
Del Toro deserves it but for the movie to achieve large-scale success it needs to appeal to people and the only way it can do that is if the "majority" don't perceive it as 'Scott Pilgrim' but as...shudder...'Transformers'. And that's not a good prospect

Magog1:

Strazdas:

yay?

I think you guys remind that Bob gave MAchette a verbal blow job like it was a riveting ground breaking piece.

go look.... it's like i'm being trolled.

I liked machete. whats your point?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or