Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Giant Robots

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Top 5 Giant Robots

With Pacific Rim about to release, Lisa gives us the top five giant robots in games!

Watch Video

"Metroplex" is the nickname for the Dallas/Ft Worth area. Which is appropriate because I think the game was made in Texas.

EDIT: Ok, I was wrong about the origin of the name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroplex_(Transformers)

This is the best top 5 by default.

Because giant robots.

"Suuuuupeeerrrrrrr maaaaaan" X,,,,,,(

And isn't democracy based on negotiation?

DVS BSTrD:

That's part of the joke. Bethesda was trolling Teahadi's before there were Teahadi's.

Dont forget metal gear ray has a water cannon! A massive deadly water cannon!

Metroplex? Pu-leeze! You don't know the epicness that is UNICRON! DESTROYER OF WORLDS! DEVOURER OF TIME ITSELF~!

Metroplex is a city? Unicron is a PLANET! And a fucking god!

How did this

Not make the list? It's a friggin land mass and a God? :$

There used to be a gay club in San Diego called pacific rim. Just thought you ought to know what I'm thinking every time that film is mentioned.

Great having Metroplex in there since he kicked a lot of ass in Fall of Cybertron and loved watching him in the 80's tv series but I do believe Unicron would have been a great addition to the top 5 =D.

Destroyer of the universe, worlds and all that.

Liberty Prime is a pretty good choice and I can't say I disagree with him taking the top spot...

But I am kind of disappointed these guys didn't make the list:

Look how awesome they are.

Also, please notice the location of the cockpit, which is kind of meta, I guess...

Tono Makt:

DVS BSTrD:

That's part of the joke. Bethesda was trolling Teahadi's before there were Teahadi's.

Actually, many of its quotes were (slightly) adapted from Cold War propaganda... so, not only its funny, its political commentary.

All shall crumble before the might of the God Machines!

Shame that the Titans didn't make the list. Then again, their only appearance was in Space Marine, where we couldn't exactly pilot one.

You DO know the Iron Giant survives the movie, right? I've heard it SO many god damn times this movie is SO sad 'cause the robot sacrifices himself for Hogarth! No. He. Doesn't. Literally the last scene of the movie is the Iron Giant winking at you because he's still alive. It'd be like Old Yeller resurrecting as Dog Jesus and people still talking about how the dog dies in the end.

List wise, sure, can't complain much. Little sad the MechWarrior/Battletech bots didn't get thrown in, but what can ya' do? Also...Reapers? Anyone? Mass Effect giant galaxy destroying squid-spider-bots?....Nothing? What about Mecha-Godzilla? Does he not count 'cause he's like a clone made of nuts and bolts, not a stand-alone robot?

This list just made me happy...

I mean, Metroplex?! Awesome!!

But Xenogears! Even more Awesome.

I played that game on self imposed hardmode by never, EVER using a deathblow.

Yeah... I'm just that hardcore! (I didn't know about them...)

ShirowShirow:
This is the best top 5 by default.

Because giant robots.

"Observation: The meatbag designated ShirowShirow seems to exhibit a number of abnormalities. Shall I blast him for you, Master?"

Ok, not from a game buuut...

Silentpony:
You DO know the Iron Giant survives the movie, right? I've heard it SO many god damn times this movie is SO sad 'cause the robot sacrifices himself for Hogarth! No. He. Doesn't. Literally the last scene of the movie is the Iron Giant winking at you because he's still alive. It'd be like Old Yeller resurrecting as Dog Jesus and people still talking about how the dog dies in the end.

Yeah, but that's a massive cop out so I pretend it never happened. I hate it when movies do this - massive emotional death scene, then 'nah, just kidding, I'm fine really'. Ice Age did this - fantastic, moving, self-sacrificing death and then 'oh crap, we may want to make some shitty sequels and rake in some easy cash! Better bring the big kitteh back after all'

Red X:
How did this

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? O.o I must know!

Red X:
How did this

Where the holy fuck is that thing from? Its design, so elegant and smooth, kind of. I think I'm falling in love with that thing, projecting solemn majesty!

Also, the Iron Giant's got nothin' on Grave of the Fireflies.

Captcha says: take it all

My money?

Edit: Fucking Ninja!

Silentpony:

So soldiers who fall on a grenade to protect their squad, but survive their injury because they had on body armor aren't actually sacrificing anything? I dare you to say that to a veteran.

Jabberwock King:
Where the holy fuck is that thing from? Its design, so elegant and smooth, kind of. I think I'm falling in love with that thing, projecting solemn majesty!

If I identify it properly, that is Mechanis from Xenoblade; the machine-god/half-planet and antithesis of all biological life.

Alar:

Red X:
How did this

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? O.o I must know!

Jabberwock King:

Red X:
How did this

Also, the Iron Giant's got nothin' on Grave of the Fireflies.

Captcha says: take it all

My money?

Edit: Fucking Ninja!

I'm not surprised you missed it, any guess why?

The Battle is a combination of FFX and XII, with and almost open world and an 80 hour (to get to level 80 at least) story.

A biological Machine and a Mechanical Machine fight eachother till they both stop and a butch of people and animal life on the Biological Machine called the Bionis being attack by machines called Mechon. Via a giant sword embedded in the Bionis's waist, The main characters live in certain body parts of the giants (who both giants even exist is actually really clever)

What is Red Rover? Some sort of mass-suicide game?

I like Ray better than Rex, Rex only won due to a bunch of scientists messing with it's code.

The Steel Batallion controller looks fun to use.

YES! The Iron Giant!

Captcha - Never gonna give you up - strangely fitting...

2xDouble:
Snip

My point was the iron giant puts himself back together. No permanent damage. No so much a tragic sacrifice as a clown throwing a pie in you face. Try crying over a Lego dude whose arm drops off and he gives you a "Oh not again." look.

I find your lack of Atlas disturbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkWhrahs3AQ

This entire list fails by not mentioning Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure and the wonder of Tea Time.

(Approx 2.35 - 3.00 but better, 8.08 - 9.08)

And now I need to rewatch the Iron Giant

He died for our sins!

He was also voiced by Vin Diesel

Silentpony:

2xDouble:
Snip

My point was the iron giant puts himself back together. No permanent damage. No so much a tragic sacrifice as a clown throwing a pie in you face. Try crying over a Lego dude whose arm drops off and he gives you a "Oh not again." look.

But that's not what happened. The Lego dude didn't lose his arm in an heroic action, it just fell off, nor was he without it for a time, only to recover it later in the story. Furthermore, nobody, including the Giant, knew about its regenerative abilities. It's like giving your life to save the planet only to realize you're actually Wolverine and can't die. The fact that a sacrifice can be undone doesn't diminish its nobility, which is my point. Was Darth Vader's sacrifices meaningless because he was redeemed in the end? or Galuf's, Optimus Prime's, Daniel Jackson's, or Spock's, or any number of comic-book characters' "heroic sacrifices" that end up undone by deus-ex-machina because the character is too popular meaningless? No, they aren't.

Besides, if you're going to get nit-picky about it, the character of the Iron Giant doesn't actually exist. His, and any other fictional characters', sacrifices are about as meaningful as closing a book; it is all completely undone as easily as pressing the rewind button. No permanent damage.

THE greatest giant robot that could ever exist.

most importantly than any other giant robot, extremely user friendly. :P

Meh. I prefer the Mantis from Halo 4...and Xenoblade Chronicles' Mechanis.
Also, the novelty of The Iron Giant kind of wore off for me after that one time Cartoon Network played that movie nonstop for three days straight. What is wrong with those people...?

Silentpony:

List wise, sure, can't complain much. Little sad the MechWarrior/Battletech bots didn't get thrown in, but what can ya' do? Also...Reapers? Anyone? Mass Effect giant galaxy destroying squid-spider-bots?....Nothing? What about Mecha-Godzilla? Does he not count 'cause he's like a clone made of nuts and bolts, not a stand-alone robot?

Yeah, the Iron Giant survives, but before that, especially for first-time viewers, no one had the slightest inkling that he would actually survive colliding head-on with a nuclear warhead. (It was a nuclear warhead, right?)
Mechwarrior! How could I've forgotten that? I was a big fan back in the day. Especially with the Atlas and Wildcat mechs...

Silentpony:

2xDouble:
Snip

Snip

But we did know! It was established in like the first 30mins that the giant's body puts itself back together again. When I saw the movie, i didn't for a second even consider he was dead because not to belabor the point...but we already knew his body put itself back together! Its like when a character dies in DBZ and they spend 15+ episodes in a pleasant little after-life where everyone still talks to them and then they come back. Or to stick with Wolverine, yes it would be like having Wolverine sacrifice himself but instead of that being the big-post death reveal, we already know he's Wolverine because we're watching his movie. Yes I did chuckle when Gandalf 'died', and not just because i read the books before the movies and knew what happened. He was a main character and we honestly thought he would die less than a third of the way through the journey? Really? That would just be poor story telling.

Silentpony:

Silentpony:

2xDouble:
Snip

Snip

But we did know! It was established in like the first 30mins that the giant's body puts itself back together again. When I saw the movie, i didn't for a second even consider he was dead because not to belabor the point...but we already knew his body put itself back together! Its like when a character dies in DBZ and they spend 15+ episodes in a pleasant little after-life where everyone still talks to them and then they come back. Or to stick with Wolverine, yes it would be like having Wolverine sacrifice himself but instead of that being the big-post death reveal, we already know he's Wolverine because we're watching his movie. Yes I did chuckle when Gandalf 'died', and not just because i read the books before the movies and knew what happened. He was a main character and we honestly thought he would die less than a third of the way through the journey? Really? That would just be poor story telling.

Yes, we knew Iron Giant could repair himself. We did not know he could survive a nuclear explosion which, by all accounts, should have vaporized him. Reattaching a limb is one thing; rebuilding/resurrecting your body from scrap parts is another entirely.

For the record, I said Galuf, not Gandalf. *Spoilers* He died to save the party about halfway through Final Fantasy V and came back as a little girl. */spoilers* Speaking of Gandalf, however, are you sure you're willing to posit that having a main character die early on in the story is bad storytelling? Does the name Obi-Wan Kenobi ring any bells? or Kazuma? or Aerith? or every war movie ever? Main characters die all the time, far earlier than the audience would want them to. It's that very apprehension that "this person isn't supposed to die!" that is so jarring and, when set up properly, meaningful. Surely there is a TV Trope about it... probably referencing Metal Gear Solid 2's little bait and switch trick, or as the antithesis of "plot armor".

saintdane05:
Metroplex? Pu-leeze! You don't know the epicness that is UNICRON! DESTROYER OF WORLDS! DEVOURER OF TIME ITSELF~!

Metroplex is a city? Unicron is a PLANET! And a fucking god!

Shadow-Phoenix:
Great having Metroplex in there since he kicked a lot of ass in Fall of Cybertron and loved watching him in the 80's tv series but I do believe Unicron would have been a great addition to the top 5 =D.

Destroyer of the universe, worlds and all that.

Unicron isn't in a game though. ...as far as I know.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here