Escapist News Now: New Sword Pokemon in X and Y

New Sword Pokemon in X and Y

The latest in the lineup of new Pokemon announced for Nintendo's upcoming X and Y and it's called Honedge, and it's a sword.

Watch Video

I always wanted a steel ghost pokemon but I always had problems thinking what it could be but a haunted sword makes sense to me, definitely going to add honedge to my team.

The Pokemon series have used inanimate objects as Pokemon before. I mean, there's Magnemite and all its evolutions in generation 1 just to go waaaay back. You can usually find a few for each generation. I guess flowers could also be referred to as inanimate which makes up a good deal of generation 1. Also let's not forget Grimer and Muk. I could go on, but I think I have made my point here. This sword is hardly a leap towards something other than a steel ghost combo.

I do like this Pokemon though. hopefully it will turn out to be a decent fit for my party.

yeah but Muk, Grimer and Magnemite haven't really been "posessed inanimate objects". Muk and grimer were irradiated mud (or something like that). I know it´s just a technicality but I think it makes a difference! I have always seen pokemon as animals or creatures. Honedge just feels a bit out of place.

I can just see the Pokedex entry talking about how it continues to look to it's owner who was killed in battle centuries before, or that it's possessed by the warrior who died wielding it. This may actually give Yamask some competition for most depressing/scary Pokemon description.

I like the idea of this Pokemon especially if they go the "possessed sword" route, but I can see plenty of genwunners having a field day with making fun of poor Honedge.

I ask this as a completely serious question...

Pokémon: when is enough enough?

I mean they have Pokémon for every aspect of nature, pretty much every noun and verb in existence, straight up deities, and now they're just dropping all the pretense and saying "These little buggers are weapons." I mean I liked the first generation, even had fun with the 2nd, but by the third I was like "There's...there's more?" And each generation basically just re-wraps and re-packages all the older Pokémon by giving them horns. I just find myself wondering how many times they can do it.

One of my favorite game series is Dynasty Warriors, so I know all about buying into a series that's essentially just the same thing with every incarnation, but seriously, I think Pokémon's got DW beat in this category by a long shot.

You think a sword is weird?

Have you forgotten all the Rocks (Seriously, Geodude way back in RBY. It's a rock with arms and a face)? The Magnets? The Moai? The Balloons? The Gears? The Ice Cream Cone Pokemon? The Pokeball Pokemon? The Pokemon made out of Computer Code?

Really, haunted swords are tame for Pokemon. Hell, they're tame for Japan in general.

Jump the shark? Silly Escapist, no. Pokemon does not jump the shark. Pokemon jumps the Sharpedo.

But, no. There have been far more bizarre and out of place Pokemon than a possessed sword.

I've always wanted a haunted suit of armor for a Steel/Ghost. Hopefully the sword evolves into one.

Ya know, a possessed suit of armor, which this thing is totally going to turn into, would work better as a chain if it started with rusty armor, then got shinier/cleaner, THEN added the sword. Going with the sword for stage one just feels like starting at the wrong end of things to me.

DragonStorm247:
I've always wanted a haunted suit of armor for a Steel/Ghost. Hopefully the sword evolves into one.

I think we already have a suit of haunted armor in Golurk. Hes Ghost/Ground, he sure as hell looks like it.
golurk photo: Golurk 5Golurk.png

You can't collect 'em all, can't collect 'em all, but you can try.

Eh, don't really care for it because it looks like a generic anime sword that most anime have but whatever. The ghost and steel combination is what may make this interesting, especially for normal types.

How are we supposed to catch 'em all if they keep making up stuff as they go?

Ratties:

DragonStorm247:

I think we already have a suit of haunted armor in Golurk. Hes Ghost/Ground, he sure as hell looks like it.
golurk photo: Golurk 5Golurk.png

Golurk and its pre-evo are golems, basically the animated clay statue from Jewish mythology. Don't get me wrong, I like Golurk, but its not Ghost/Steel, and its not a suit of armor. I'm talking like full on medieval European here.

Are you kidding? I've been waiting for a sword using pokemon since R/B/Y. I was hoping for a Farfetch'd evolution, but a new ghost type, and steel as well? I'll take it!

That's not even a Pokemon to me lol.

Pokemon back in the day, or at least up to Generation 3 were still simple but classy. Now a days, Pokemon are way overly designed with like.. techno features and having a ton of elements added to them.

A good example is how simple Charmander is. The original Pokemon Charmander has only fire, and has flying when fully evolved. BUT it made sense because Charmander evolves into Charizard, a dragon. This Pokemon we saw in the video... it's a sword with a spirit inside it. Really not logical in the sense of Pokemon plus it 'drains' the trainer's life?! That's not a Pokemon at all, it's a Dark Souls item or something XD

Inanimate objects as pokemon has been done before....
Not saying I'm for more inanimate objects becoming pokemon, but come on its nothing new.

Last gen we had a glob of snow on an icicle that looked like an ice cream cone >.>

A possessed sword is, actually pretty natural for Pokemon. They appear a lot in folklore, it is a relatively simple concept, it works.

Certainly better than a possessed toaster does anyway.

I just hope it evolves from a possessed dagger so we can have some Macbeth references.

Now what I really want to see is a ghost-grass type.

Bruce:

Now what I really want to see is a ghost-grass type.

A Ghost/Grass type could be trees which get burnt during wildfires. Their souls remain behind lost.

RJ 17:
I ask this as a completely serious question...

Pokémon: when is enough enough?

I mean they have Pokémon for every aspect of nature, pretty much every noun and verb in existence, straight up deities, and now they're just dropping all the pretense and saying "These little buggers are weapons."

Since there are well-over 650 species of animal in the world, we'll never have too many.

I'm still awaiting the Waterflea Pokemon and the Sea Anemone Pokemon.

What annoys me is when they have 'overlaps'. I mean, we have 2 Jellyfish Pokemon evolution chains. I feel like we'll drown in Butterflies soon too.

Actually (much like the possessed toaster!), this makes a lot more sense when you consider it in its Japanese context. In fact, the toaster actually makes more sense, because the idea of household objects gaining souls after a century of use is a known concept in Japanese folklore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsukumogami

I assume there must be similar legends about swords as well?

Quite a lot of seemingly bizarre things about Pokemon designs become clear when you consider their Japanese background! For example (although I think this is actually a Chinese thing), Magikarp evolving into Gyarados comes from the idea that a carp that manages to struggle up a particular waterfall can become a dragon. It's supposed to represent overcoming adversity, which fits when you think about what a pain it is to train a Magikarp up till it evolves!

I always wondered how long it will be until they ran out of ideas and looked around their rooms for something to make into a pokemon.

Yopaz:
The Pokemon series have used inanimate objects as Pokemon before.

Unfortunately, it didn't stop people from being surprised in Gen V, so I'm assuming Gen VI will be the same.

scw55:

Since there are well-over 650 species of animal in the world, we'll never have too many.

I'm still awaiting the Waterflea Pokemon and the Sea Anemone Pokemon.

What annoys me is when they have 'overlaps'. I mean, we have 2 Jellyfish Pokemon evolution chains. I feel like we'll drown in Butterflies soon too.

Can we get a clownfish Pokémon and a Blue Tang?

A3sir:
I always wondered how long it will be until they ran out of ideas and looked around their rooms for something to make into a pokemon.

If this is running out of ideas, they ran out in Gen 1.

There are plenty of inanimate objects Pokemon already, aren't there? Like those gears? The magnet things? Also, it seems to have eyes and a mouth, at least on those pictures. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I'd say the white dots under the blue dot near the hilt are the eyes and the triangle beneath that is the mouth. Interestingly, similar Pokemon already exist that are basically golems/statues inhabited by ghosts. Do I like this particular design? Not really, but I don't think it's that odd consideration a number of (especially more recent) Pokemon that are already out there...

Seriously, it's not bad enough this girl in the video knows so little about Pokemon she doesn't know there have been pokemon based on inanimate objects in the past, but after what, twenty years or so, she *STILL* doesn't know that it's not "PO-KEY-MON"? And if that's not insulting enough, she didn't even look at the picture long enough to see that it *DOES* have facial features.

Surprisingly, I've seen more people defending Honedge than people rejecting or complaining about it. Dunno what that means. All things considered, seems alright.

I want to be excited about X and Y, but Nintendo keeps filling it up with dumb pokemon. I'm hoping this gen will be different. I skipped all the DS pokemon because it was just more of the same with lamer pokemon, but I'm still hoping they're willing to mix things up a bit with this Gen.

But they're not inspiring a lot of confidence.

Well, it's not as if it's the first inanimate object that became a pokemon.
We've had coffins, electromagnets and lamps.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here