Zero Punctuation: Deadpool

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

CardinalPiggles:
Deadpool is about as funny as a wet dog in my opinion. Call me snobby but his humour really doesn't do it for me. He's almost as bad as Duke Nukem.

agreed. it's just dumb, and deadpool isn't "zany" he's goddamn annoying. even the first time you hear the jokes they're just retarded unless you're a stoned 14 year old. it's like that portal reference in castlevania -- except ALL THE TIME. yahtzee went way too easy on this steaming turd. disappointed with this review for even hinting at the possibility of fun.

sure, the character is faithful to the original, but THAT'S THE PROBLEM. also, where did you get the idea that deadpool was a 'popular' superhero? most people i know never even heard of him.

I always got the impression Deadpool annoyed the hell out of everyone around him, and especially his enemies, by constantly talking so, in essence, they got the character right in the way his quips start getting annoying the player because they happen so often.

So what do we consider comic book movie video came tie ins? Some kind of drunken one night stand accident child?

The game itself seems like a classic case of "I'll probably just wait for a price cut" type of game.

Steve the Pocket:

Lieju:

Imp Emissary:
I think I like the idea of Deadpool more than what Deadpool really is. Side note: What the hell is his name suppose to mean?

It came from the scientific experiment (Weapon X) he got his powers from. Most of the test subjects would die, so they placed bets in a "deadpool" as to how long each subject would live.

And on a meta level, it's a bad pun: The character was originally a ripoff of the DC Universe's Deathstroke the Terminator (aka Slade), and where do you do a death stroke? In a dead pool.

It was also taken from the final Dirty Harry movie, The Dead Pool.

cursedseishi:
To be fair, Deadpool was actually pretty great in Wolverine, up and until the point he stopped looking like Ryan Renolds...
And all those movies you listed (besides Wolverine) were DC! Of course a DC-based movie is going to suck if it doesn't have anything to do with Batman (and sometimes Superman).

Marvel does pretty darn good with their movies though, and hopefully Fox loses access to any and all rights regarding Deadpool soon enough, so Marvel can get their hands on him and set him up right. Preferably with Ryan Renolds... Because I can't really think of any other actor who'd work as him...

Really? Because I can think of several Marvel movies that were awful. X-Men III: The Last Stand, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, only the first Blade film was watchable, Hulk, Thor, Spider-man 3, the Amazing Spider-man, Elektra, Ghost Rider 2: Spirit of Vengeance... It's true that DC movies tend to not be good, but I feel like Marvel really only wins out by default. The only Marvel films I have seen that I would go out of my way to watch again are the first two X-Men movies and the Avengers.

OT: Say what you will about Deadpool or High Moon studios, but High Moon knows how to make a game for their audience. For myself and my group of friends, the Deadpool game was pretty much everything we wanted it to be. Seems to me that it was a game made on a budget; I mean, it's even priced lower than most games. I actually had to scrounge around town to find a copy, as most places were sold out and I forgot to pre-order.

I think what I liked best though was how functional the game was - sure it's pretty par for the course and not innovative, but I didn't really have any complaints to level at the gameplay either. You definitely have to be a fan to enjoy the game to it's fullest extent, otherwise it's a functional, yet simple action title.

While I tend to always get at least a chuckle out of these videos, "Oh don't be like that, baby, Superman 64 was a long time ago!" managed to get a full-scale laugh.

Beyond that, I think it should be mentioned that - based on a few gameplay videos that I've seen - the humor in this game is tailored for a specific taste.

"Deadpool understands that to counteract the witlessness of its humor it has to keep a fast enough pace for us to not think about it very long"

Oh, I bet you're real familiar with that tactic, eh Yahtzee?

Really, good episode though. I do think they sort of just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks with this style of humor.

Personally, I see a lot of Yahtzee's personality in DeadPool... But Who is copying Who? X)

Sheo_Dagana:

cursedseishi:
To be fair, Deadpool was actually pretty great in Wolverine, up and until the point he stopped looking like Ryan Renolds...
And all those movies you listed (besides Wolverine) were DC! Of course a DC-based movie is going to suck if it doesn't have anything to do with Batman (and sometimes Superman).

Marvel does pretty darn good with their movies though, and hopefully Fox loses access to any and all rights regarding Deadpool soon enough, so Marvel can get their hands on him and set him up right. Preferably with Ryan Renolds... Because I can't really think of any other actor who'd work as him...

Really? Because I can think of several Marvel movies that were awful. X-Men III: The Last Stand, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, only the first Blade film was watchable, Hulk, Thor, Spider-man 3, the Amazing Spider-man, Elektra, Ghost Rider 2: Spirit of Vengeance... It's true that DC movies tend to not be good, but I feel like Marvel really only wins out by default. The only Marvel films I have seen that I would go out of my way to watch again are the first two X-Men movies and the Avengers.

Notice how I make a clear designation between Fox and Marvel with, say when I mentioned Deadpool and the X-men movie? That's because Marvel has NOTHING to do with those movies, besides having sold the rights for Fox to make movies based off them. All the way back in 1994. That was, quite literally, Fox publishing and handling those movies, not Marvel, with Non-Marvel studios.

When I said Marvel has done pretty good with their movies, I thought it would more than painfully obvious that I was referring explicitly to the studio Marvel started up to do the movies in house. Which, honestly, only refers to Iron Man and upwards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Studios#MVL_Productions_LLC

It's why Wolverine (or any X-men) won't be in an Avengers flick, it's why Deadpool won't be showing up in one, or Spider man and the like. Because all those studios need to do is crap out a flick every so often to retain the rights to the characters.

Making another exception about Yahtzee because it's Deadpool. And to congratulate Yahtzee on not once bringing up his Noland North hatred in this review. See Yahtzee, was that so hard?

So, they wanted to make a game about a comedic superhero?
Freakazoid!. (Period added because the exclamation mark is part of the name.)
Must I explain?

All of the reviews I've seen for this boil down to:

Do you know/like Deadpool? If yes, play it. If not, don't.

I'll give it a rental.

There's still a lot of room for comedy games to employ actual wit, like Portal

No. Just, NO. Out of all the games you could've listed, Yahtzee, you come up with Portal as the standard for wit? Out of all the Monkey Islands, Day of the Tentacle, Space Quests, King's Quests, Grim Fandango, Leisure Suit Larrys, Destroy All Humans!, and Psychonauts; you choose Portal? "See, isn't it funny that the computer doesn't understand humanity? It thinks cubes are companions and thinks we're motivated by cake! HA!"

That's like saying, "Why can't more movies be funny like Commando?" Yeah, it's sort of funny, but, it's not exactly the standard everyone aspires to.

I liked this episode, particularly when you mentioned Portal. Unlike Silent Hill 2 or Sands of Time there's not a lot you can compare to Portal, so it's nice for it to get a mention.

Also liked the opinion/jab at Family Guy.

Shift control F5 not only generates a complete game design document, it also generates the code.
And if you have an internet connection, it will use google to generate the artwork and the script, and attempt to generate the sound effects and voice acting. Failing to do the voice acting, it will generate a list of the best voice actors for you to employ.
All you have to do is put your name on the credits.

The idea of humor in games is always much better if the writers make it subtle but in almost every part of the game. Portal and Borderlands are good examples (or so I've seen) and that is what makes sales. It also might help if you have good game play, too...

Holy shit... he liked it?

I clicked this saying "Ah hell... he's probably going to hate it."

And to be fair, it's like... half the game before you even notice some of the lines being re-used.

The question comes down to this: is Deadpool enough to carry a game? As far as I can see Deadpool really hit rock bottom when writers started making him reference internet memes, and as we all know, when a meme is referenced by a thing in the mainstream, it is dead. And since the entirety of his humor now revolves around parroting memes with no sense of self awareness whatsoever, I'd say meh.

Sides, I doubt Deadpool makes a single reference to wanting to sleep with Bea Arthur, which I think would be just plain unforgivable. Yes I know she's dead, but this is Deadpool, fuck you.

I understand the "Superman 64" reference, but honestly the "Superman Returns" game was just as bad if not worse. Imagine being Superman in an open world game, except the world is empty. Metropolis looked great from about 20 miles up, but once you got near street level it was obvious the developers stopped giving a shit after they had the map and flight mechanics down. It was just totally empty.

I appear to be the only person in the world who doesn't think the dialogue during combat was repetitive. It really wasn't. But Yahtzee's review is better than a lot of seen so far. A lot of people saying the controls were bad... I hate to be "that guy" but it seems more like they... don't know how to play it? Everything worked smoothly for me; I built up huge combos, the aiming was fine and functional and the bad guys were fun to slice.

I love the humour, though. Funniest game I've played in a long time.

pssssst, hey, hey yahtzee, in regards to comedy games:

Roofstone:

OT: Gonna give this one a pass, I've watched a LP, and the jokes are fun, but the gameplay doesn't seem to do it for me. Which is odd, cause I usually enjoy hack & slash.

My buddy nearly beat it in a few hours, and he's terrible at games. That's one of the problems. You can fall into success. The puzzle sections are out of place in this game because they're dry and boring, and some make no freaking sense for a guy who uses a teleporter more frequently than the bathroom. At least when it's all shooty you're distracted, but when you're left to think about it, it's...Erm, awkward.

Sorry, forgot to replace all my full stops with lol lol

Thunderous Cacophony:
to watch every new video at the same time. For instance, Rhymedown came out at 9:00 (my time), this at 12:00, and Feed Dump is expected at 3:00.

Which has led to me forgetting about more than one of their shows lol

Ick... Deadpool. Okay, here's the thing: the character was originally Marvel's attempt to parody a character that was, in and of itself, a parody, having completely failed to get the joke. Obviously, times and writers have changed since then, but the point is I will always be mystified by how popular this character is. I could go on a long comic book tangent, but all you need to know is that in the '90s, ultra-violent dark and gritty characters became popular. DC responded with Lobo, a foul-mouthed, gun-toting, booze-swigging space biker bounty hunter. Yes, it's as ridiculous as it sounds. Yes, some people failed to get the joke (and continue to, based on the amount of serious stories Lobo has since appeared in). But the character became popular because in the '90s everyone was insane. Thus Marvel looked at him, assumed he was for real because he was selling books, and decided to parody him.And thus, that's Deadpool. A joke based on a joke that wasn't even funny the first time around.

Also, I think I have just driven home why us comic book geeks are seldom invited to parties...

axlryder:
"Deadpool understands that to counteract the witlessness of its humor it has to keep a fast enough pace for us to not think about it very long"

Oh, I bet you're real familiar with that tactic, eh Yahtzee?

Ha HA! Good one! I'm surprised he sort of liked this one. I think it's from how almost NO games, especially AAA, even attempted humor at all. They think it's just throw out a sarcastic line with a swear word somewhere in there, and BOOM, levity. Funniest review I've seen in a while. I especially like the digs at how Family Guy went downhill.

gridsleep:
So, they wanted to make a game about a comedic superhero?
Freakazoid!. (Period added because the exclamation mark is part of the name.)
Must I explain?

You don't have to; MovieBob already did in an episode of Big Picture.

ninjaRiv:
I appear to be the only person in the world who doesn't think the dialogue during combat was repetitive. It really wasn't. But Yahtzee's review is better than a lot of seen so far. A lot of people saying the controls were bad... I hate to be "that guy" but it seems more like they... don't know how to play it? Everything worked smoothly for me; I built up huge combos, the aiming was fine and functional and the bad guys were fun to slice.

Perhaps the game is aimed at people with the short-term memory of Dory, but if you play the game for fifteen minutes or so, you've heard all the quips. It takes very little time to run through them all, so I have trouble imagining anyone hoenstly saying it's not repetitive. It really is. As for not being good at the game, I watched a friend get to the last level in a single sitting. I have trouble believing any complaints come down to being bad at the game, as this is a guy who frequently asks me for help beating a game. On the easiest setting.

He didn't die more than once in this game, using nothing but default settings.

No fault on you for liking the game. It was entertaining. Still, between claiming the dialogue wasn't repetitive and being "that guy," I'm left thinking "what?" in a heavily David-Tennant-Inspired voice.

AGNGoo:
Ick... Deadpool. Okay, here's the thing: the character was originally Marvel's attempt to parody a character that was, in and of itself, a parody, having completely failed to get the joke. Obviously, times and writers have changed since then, but the point is I will always be mystified by how popular this character is. I could go on a long comic book tangent, but all you need to know is that in the '90s, ultra-violent dark and gritty characters became popular. DC responded with Lobo, a foul-mouthed, gun-toting, booze-swigging space biker bounty hunter. Yes, it's as ridiculous as it sounds. Yes, some people failed to get the joke (and continue to, based on the amount of serious stories Lobo has since appeared in). But the character became popular because in the '90s everyone was insane. Thus Marvel looked at him, assumed he was for real because he was selling books, and decided to parody him.And thus, that's Deadpool. A joke based on a joke that wasn't even funny the first time around.

Also, I think I have just driven home why us comic book geeks are seldom invited to parties...

I was under the impression Lobo was parodying the dark gritty 90s typical hero, and in particular Wolverine, who Deadpool is also aping. Deadpool has so many things in common with Wolverine, he even has a story where he went to Japan and became a sumo wrestler mimicking Wolverine's travels in Japan.

Zachary Amaranth:

ninjaRiv:

Perhaps the game is aimed at people with the short-term memory of Dory, but if you play the game for fifteen minutes or so, you've heard all the quips. It takes very little time to run through them all, so I have trouble imagining anyone hoenstly saying it's not repetitive. It really is. As for not being good at the game, I watched a friend get to the last level in a single sitting. I have trouble believing any complaints come down to being bad at the game, as this is a guy who frequently asks me for help beating a game. On the easiest setting.

He didn't die more than once in this game, using nothing but default settings.

No fault on you for liking the game. It was entertaining. Still, between claiming the dialogue wasn't repetitive and being "that guy," I'm left thinking "what?" in a heavily David-Tennant-Inspired voice.

I waited for the pilot line everything bitched about and didn't get it until near the end. I heard things more than once, I didn't say they're not repeated at all, I'm just saying not as much. Maybe it helps to switch up the weapons since they all have unique lines.

I didn't mean people aren't good at the game, just that the controls are simple and functional and that it's weird how people seem to think they're broken. They're really not broken, they were easy as fuck. Combos were easy, too. A lo9t of people complained about the teleporter being the same as counter. yeah, I teleported more than once without meaning to but it didn't break my combos at all. In fact it helps get behind an enemy.

porous_shield:

AGNGoo:

I was under the impression Lobo was parodying the dark gritty 90s typical hero, and in particular Wolverine, who Deadpool is also aping. Deadpool has so many things in common with Wolverine, he even has a story where he went to Japan and became a sumo wrestler mimicking Wolverine's travels in Japan.

Deadpool is a rip off of Deathstroke. Slade Wilson/Wade Wilson. But yeah, Deadpool isn't for everyone. Some (including myself) love the character and appreciate both the serious and comedic side of his character and stories. But not everyone likes him and that's part of his charm for me.

Dat ending made me laugh into tears, lovely!

First thought: Wait, Yahtzee is reviewing Deadpool? Didn't expect that.

Second thought: I'm betting he's going to tear it a new one.

Pleasantly surprised by the positive review (at least by Yahtzee standards). I haven't gotten around to playing this yet, but everything I hear about it tells me that I should give this a shot.

Hell, if I was able to find something of merit about Eat Lead, I think I'll be able to enjoy this.

So this game is essentially Duke Nukem Forever with Marvel sauce applied to it?
Trying to be funny by using the very mechanics it makes fun of, and off-setting its hit-and-miss gameplay by voice comments that are supposed to be t3h funnay?

I read a few Deadpool comics, and it's very much hit and miss. The game looks like more of the same to me.

You know, I thought there was entirely too much killing in this game. I think games about killing need less killing in them. I mean, I felt like a monster wading through countless bad guys with bullets and swords or both. Deadpool is a mass murdering psychopath. This game would be so much more fun if Deadpool could simply talk his way our of trouble or maybe give the guys that are shooting at him time to make their intentions known. That would would have been much much better.

Not much of a comic book fan or a Deadpool fan. However, I do like his character and I could go for some dumb and "random" fun.

Quite a nice video this week. The ending with Superman 64 seriously cracked me up.

ninjaRiv:

I didn't mean people aren't good at the game, just that the controls are simple and functional and that it's weird how people seem to think they're broken. They're really not broken, they were easy as fuck. Combos were easy, too. A lo9t of people complained about the teleporter being the same as counter. yeah, I teleported more than once without meaning to but it didn't break my combos at all. In fact it helps get behind an enemy.

I finally tried the game myself instead of watching. Controls are sluggish, though they're sadly not the worst I've played this week (Warriors Orochi 3 only has one task, and they screw that up). Complaints I've seen point towards bad controls and yes, I can agree with that. Even with the sensitivity cranked I'm aiming like I'm moving through Jell-o, the wall-jumping can be a touch anal and even the lock-on system doesn't seem to work that well (yet with the sluggish aiming, seems a borderline necessity for this game. Some of this may come down to the console, as I don't know what people are playing it on (360 for me). The game is technically piss easy, but comes down to an issue of it sort of needing to be to make up for control issues.

In short, I disagree with the functionality of the controls. They're pretty boilerplate, though. Any complaints about that are definitely odd.

CardinalPiggles:
Deadpool is about as funny as a wet dog in my opinion.

My dog does absolutely hilarious things when he's wet.

OT: I like Deadpool as a concept more than the execution. Were there at least interface screws, like clubbing the baddie to death with the health bar?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here