Miracle of Sound: The Best of Us (The Last of Us)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Best of Us (The Last of Us)

What would you give of yourself to be the best of us at last.

Watch Video

I'd certainly get a job to be able to get a PS3 thats for sure.

You know, despite your many previous successes, I did wonder whether you'd be able to match the feel of The Last Of Us...

I shouldn't have. Once again Gav, another fantastic song.

I'd like to make an artful comment describing why I like this song, but my knowledge on musical analysis is almost nonexistent.

Oh well. :) The song is great, and that's all I can say I guess.
Well done!

I think it would've worked better if you used your deep voice but it's good as it is. Did you choose a higher voice for a conscious reason?

Porecomesis:
I think it would've worked better if you used your deep voice but it's good as it is. Did you choose a higher voice for a conscious reason?

Funny enough, it was originally lower but the deeper voice wasn't working :D I felt it carried more strained effort and therefore more passionate expression with the higher octave.

It reminds me very much of Fiddler On The Green by Demons and Wizards (a project band, it's basically a combination between Blind Guardian and Iced Earth).

MiracleOfSound:

Porecomesis:

Funny enough, it was originally lower but the deeper voice wasn't working :D I felt it carried more strained effort and therefore more passionate expression with the higher octave.

It works well in the chorus. It's not particularly strained - the start's a bit too quiet for that - but it's definitely passionate all the way through. The strained part really comes into it later. Another good song; I'm just far too nitpicky (nitpickey?) for my own good.

If I have one more thing to nitpick, though, it's that the ending could be shortened. You definitely get across the feel of an almost eerily tranquil passing of a dying world with impressive ability; I just think it could be a bit shorter than that.

Any idea what you plan to make your next song on?

This one had a very Cold Play-esque sound, particularly with the vocals.

Porecomesis:

If I have one more thing to nitpick, though, it's that the ending could be shortened. You definitely get across the feel of an almost eerily tranquil passing of a dying world with impressive ability; I just think it could be a bit shorter than that.

The length of the song was definitely something I was conflicted on. I felt the intro AND outro were too long for peoples' attention spans, as was the instrumental passage in the middle.

But then I just decided fuck it. I listen to music like this myself, it's exactly how I want to hear it and it doesn't feel too long to my own ears - every once in a while I gotta just make something that pleases me first and foremost ;)

This was beautiful I can't post this enough. I will post it on every comment section. HAHA.

ha, and you were worried about the reaction to this one last night...

really good track, i really like your songs which try to encompass the feels of different sections of the game (similar to dream of the sky). quite a credit being able to make a really gripping song with little to no repetition in it though

'Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of us?'... Oh wait wrong song.

I liked this track alot, it started off sounding like something off of Devin Townsend's Ki album and then developed into something that sounded like Faunts M3 part 2 (Mass Effect ending music). It felt alot shorter than it actually was, I think that is due to the structure of the song. The ending was nice, reminds me alot of Stars of The Lid but with a guitar parts that sounds like something off of OK Computer.

I really liked the guitar playing here, and the way the layers of vocals and guitars worked to give a post rockish vibe. To be frank, it blew me away. Once again, I'd like to know if you have any particular influences on this one.

MiracleOfSound:

every once in a while I gotta just make something that pleases me first and foremost ;)

Surely that's how it should to be. I mean you're the only one who knows how it's supposed to sound right? It is coming from your head.

In a sense criticism is basically an in depth way of asking you "are you sure?" :)

OT: I absolutely love how subtle this song is. It's not in your face, and the effort required to really hear it is so damn rewarding. Wasn't sure why you made the vocals higher at first (I expected it to be deeper like porecomesis), but your explanation makes sense.

This is quite possibly one of your better songs. It is just an incredible job full stop. Incredible job Gavin.

T0ad 0f Truth:

MiracleOfSound:

every once in a while I gotta just make something that pleases me first and foremost ;)

Surely that's how it should to be. I mean you're the only one who knows how it's supposed to sound right? It is coming from your head.

In a sense criticism is basically an in depth way of asking you "are you sure?" :)

To some degree yes, but on the other hand I won't ever get better if I ignore criticism. That would be hubris. Not everyone has the same attention span for the same types of sounds that I have!

MiracleOfSound:

T0ad 0f Truth:

MiracleOfSound:

To some degree yes, but on the other hand I won't ever get better if I ignore criticism. That would be hubris. Not everyone has the same attention span for the same types of sounds that I have!

^pretty much that too.

Work is never done when it comes to "getting it right" I guess.

So, in another sense criticism is kind of "These bits don't quite fit. Pay attention!" as well. XD

...Now, which criticisms and critics listen to eh? XD

That was Grand. It reminded me of the game's soundtrack at times, the masterfully done intro and ending especially. I've noticed that Justin didn't make the video on this one. Has this happened before on occasion and I just haven't been paying attention? Nevertheless, the video itself was still great, my sheer curiosity simply compensates for my lack of words. Truly great work.

Beautiful song, Gavin. Great atmosphere. Reminded me a lot of Katatonia, especially the haunting melodies.

MiracleOfSound:

Porecomesis:

The length of the song was definitely something I was conflicted on. I felt the intro AND outro were too long for peoples' attention spans, as was the instrumental passage in the middle.

But then I just decided fuck it. I listen to music like this myself, it's exactly how I want to hear it and it doesn't feel too long to my own ears - every once in a while I gotta just make something that pleases me first and foremost ;)

Hey, that's good. I love your long songs. :)

Also, the video was great.

TRUE STORY: I've been working on a video about the message of The Last of Us. The working title? "The Best of Us"... now I don't know if I should call it that. Mind if I put this in the credits or something? 'Cause it is really cool, and certainly a refreshing sound. Also, I think you and I are on totally opposite sides when it comes to interpreting the last of us, LOL.

MiracleOfSound:

Porecomesis:

Of course. :D Create for yourself and just present it well for the audience. If you try to make something for everyone, you'll spread yourself too thin and please no one.

Wow, this song is great! I don't think I ever heard you make anything like that before but then again, one could say that about so many of your songs.

What inspired you to write it like you did, apart from the game itself I mean? I find the structure to be almost like... Metal?

That has to be one of your best, and that's not an easy thing to be when comparing with your other works. I haven't been able to play the game yet (sold out and rented out everywhere over here.) so I didn't watch the video, but man the guitar in this one is what impressed me most.

The length seemed just right to me as well, sometimes a shorter melody is good, but from what I hear this is the greatest game ever, so an epic that spans over six minutes seems appropriate to me. This might have taken Distant Honors place as my favorite of your work.

Did this song flow together in creation quite easily? Or was this one of those really challenging ones where you experimented a lot and had to change lots to get it that certain way you desired it.

Great job Gavin! The next I would like Gavin to do is do a complete 180 from the tone of this song and do a song about the Deadpool game lol. It would just be interesting to see how crazy Gavin could go with it lol.

The guitar was just beautiful in this, especially in the outro. I used to play classical myself, but I never reached that standard. Really well done.

I'm feeling like I'm *this* close to 'getting' the song... but somehow I feel I can't quite put it together.

The lyrics allude to giving up what you once were, shedding who you once were and your old sense of right and wrong, in order to stay strong and resolute after the world has ended. But doesn't the game itself illustrate how that just leads to Joel and Ellie becoming monsters, rather than saviors? I always that's what the title meant; the best of us all all dead, and this is a story about who is left.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the song; I'm just confused. Can someone please help me understand?

Good song and went well with the clips too!

On another note.
How are you Gav? You've made a few songs since the "tinnitus disaster", getting better?
I guess you still have some working with it, keep up the good work!

Azureraider:
I'm feeling like I'm *this* close to 'getting' the song... but somehow I feel I can't quite put it together.

The lyrics allude to giving up what you once were, shedding who you once were and your old sense of right and wrong, in order to stay strong and resolute after the world has ended. But doesn't the game itself illustrate how that just leads to Joel and Ellie becoming monsters, rather than saviors? I always that's what the title meant; the best of us all all dead, and this is a story about who is left.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the song; I'm just confused. Can someone please help me understand?

Define 'best'. Best at what? Or at being cold blooded, mass murdering survivors maybe? That's one meaning. The other is to do with Ellie's choices at certain points in the story,

MiracleOfSound:

Azureraider:

Define 'best'. Best at what? Or at being cold blooded, mass murdering survivors maybe? That's one meaning. The other is to do with Ellie's choices at certain points in the story,

That does help me understand. Thanks a lot, Gavin. :)

xplosive59:
'Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of us?'... Oh wait wrong song.

That was what I was thinking when I read the title.

Nice song with a lot of variation to it. I liked the long instrumental intro which reminded me a bit of Dire Straits at some point.

Absolutely beautiful. Your best work since Dream of the Sky... Which I know wasn't all that long ago, but still. Definately one of your best, and that's saying something.

I've listened to this song many times now before commenting and I have to say that I absolutely love it. However there is one tiny section which doesn't quite fit in my opinion and that's the "move like a shadow" part.

Whichever way you play the game Joel is shown to be a violent man who is desensitised to murder. I would have preferred "move like a shadow" to have been a more lyrical exploration of the morally questionable aspects of his behaviour during the game. Instead I find the section conveys a more passive image of the character, despite the rest of the song speaking of what Joel/Ellie will sacrifice in order to be the "best of us."

It's more of a personal preference I guess, after all I know you have spoken before about the fact that you write each song based on your personal experience with the game and I wouldn't want to dispute that.

Two still hands
A fragile, faded photograph
I walk in the shadow of
The missing half

Love dem lyrics.

-The Worst of Us-
Lyrics by WarpZone; Music and video nonexistent; Performed every day by parents all over America

What would you give
To protect the ones you love
Would you give the whole world
It's not yours to give

Who would you kill
Who would you make them kill
Would you destroy the whole world
Just so one girl can live

BUT IT'S NOT THE SAME
NO IT'S NOT THE SAME
IT'S NEVER THE SAME
WHEN I DO IT