No Right Answer: Best Giant Ever: Robots vs Monsters

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Best Giant Ever: Robots vs Monsters

Sometimes pop culture just gives us low-hanging fruit. With a movie like Pacific Rim, how can we not pit robots vs monsters together?

Watch Video

Gotta go with Giant Monsters. All the best robots are piloted by people, and people suck.

Also internet does not have enough Marx Brothers call outs.

Chicks dig giant robots, it's gotta be true, it's in a goddamn song.

Also seriously disappointed by the lack of MEGAS in this argument. (Besides the one image.)

"The iron giant was voiced by Vin Diesel...who is also a giant robot."

Giant robot all the way! Also Kyle, how can you forget the Cloverfield monster or King Kong?

Giant Monsters would have won if you struck out from Japanese cinema. There's giant monsters everywhere: Giant spiders, giant sharks, etc. Why? Because we're afraid that someone is gonna spill some radioactive ooze and we'll be up to our eyeballs in nightmare creatures. No one 'accidentally' creates a giant death-bot.

(They do sometimes make giant robots that accidentally turn evil, but they should have seen that coming.)

I think Andre the Giant actually counts as a giant monster. At least...that was his schtick in the WWE. (Called the WWF back before the World Wildlife Fund got the derp virus and copyrighted the initials.)

CAPTCHA: hear me roar!

In all lower case? You're doing it wrong, Captcha!

The idea that so many of the giant robot examples are built in the image of monsters is a pretty significant point that he made. I wonder why dragons haven't come into play. They are both giant monsters and pilotable.

I also think sentient robots (Iron Giant) significantly outweigh pilotable ones and are, perhaps, both Robots and Monsters in their own right.

Grimlock proves that giant robot dinosaurs are always better than giant monsters.

Giant Robots always win. Why? Because even though they try to be giant monsters, they try to be BETTER giant monsters. What can Godzilla do that Mechagodzilla can't (besides beat Godzilla)? Nothing, you hear me?! NOTHING!

Also, we got two giant robots that will always triumph over giant monsters. They are...

1. The Iron Giant. Nothing beats the Giant. Also it is voiced by Vin Diesel. (Seriously, Iron Giant 2 please!)
2. The MEGAS. To put it simply, the MEGAS is awesomeness roboticized. You would sell your first-born child to the devil to pilot that thing. There is not a person alive who would say "I don't want to pilot the MEGAS." If you do, allow me to give you this certificate that verifies that YOU DO NOT EXIST.

Funny thing about Andre the Giant... He played BOTH a monster

AND a robot!

That just so happens to be disguised as a monster.

The lack of EVAs (wich are kinda/sorta monsters themselves), Megas-XLR and Symbionic Titan greatly dissapoints me.

I always digged giant robots more than giant monsters, I've never felt sympathetic for a giant monster before (except maybe King Kong), I just like them as antagonists, a giant punching bag and a great excuse to clean out the dust from our giant robots and take them out for a ride.

My money is always on Giant Robots. They are just works of fictional art!

all of the Japanese mechas look great. all the lumbering giants of western style mechs look great.

Giant monsters are just ugly :P

"Now the interenet is gonna implode and kill me, i never really liked all those giant robots.." -my internet actually crashed right after he said that- XD

Fayathon:

Also seriously disappointed by the lack of MEGAS in this argument. (Besides the one image.)

Actually I was sure Megas would ba a contrargument for the "robots are without personality"

You have giant monster hands... yet you took them off. I don't understand why someone, having something as awesome as those, would ever voluntarily remove them.

"You can take my monster hands when you pry them off my cold, dead... no. Nope, changed my mind. Not even then."

Kyle should win simply for being able to drink while wearing monster hands.

Robots are better 'cause they can do anything than monsters can do, and do it better.

Here's how it can be decided. Which ever one is the coolest to fight against wins.

Sure giant robots are cool but it's usually with another giant robot. Giant monsters on the other hand... Shadow of the Colossus anyone?

Reqviemus:

Fayathon:

Actually I was sure Megas would ba a contrargument for the "robots are without personality"

Robots don't need personality to be awesome, true story.

A tie means that the Evangelions win because they are giant robot monsters piloted by humans to save/destroy the world.

"Piloting giant monsters"
Do Avatar, The Neverending Story or How to Train Your Dragon count? Also, (as mentioned above) EVAs are actually biological entities only with some cybernetic parts, so I think they should definitely count.

Stalydan:
Giant monsters on the other hand... Shadow of the Colossus anyone?

We have a winner.

Anyway, can't wait to see Pacific Rim tomorrow. ;D Happy birthday to me!

Yeah! I get to post this image again!

THE greatest giant robot who is better than any giant monster. (I love Gurren Lagann, but Simon is by far the best thing in the anime, than the team, than the giant robots)
List of accomplishments
-Defeated Voltron.
-Nearly defeated Sailor Moon and company
-Destroyed Halo on his own by accident
-Extremely user friendly.

I could name more, but the paint job is just wicked and chicks love giant robots. Thus giant robots beat giant monsters.

Firefilm:
Best Giant Ever: Robots vs Monsters

Sometimes pop culture just gives us low-hanging fruit. With a movie like Pacific Rim, how can we not pit robots vs monsters together?

Watch Video

Sorry,Chris,but chicks dig giant robots. (Megas XLR) Not to mention Shining/Burning Gundam, (Yeah, I liked G Gundam. So what?) Gurren Lagann,Kanti from FLCL,(Yeah, not techniclally a GIANT robot,but still a robot I liked, and of course(!), The Iron Giant. I dare you not to either cry to sniffle a bit during that movies final part.

I THOUGHT THAT THEY WEREN'T GOING TO MENTION THE IRON GIANT.

AND THEN THEY DID!!

BRAVO YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARDS!

Also robots look cooler /instawin.

kailus13:

Robots are better 'cause they can do anything than monsters can do, and do it better.

And Chris dropped his makeshift shaded monocle.
Kyle remains victorious.

somonels:

kailus13:

Kyle remains victorious.

What was that thing meant to be anyway? A futuristic eyepatch? A subtle reference that went completely over my head?

This is one of the funniest episodes you guys ever did! And bravo to the Escapist overall for all this fanfare leading up to Pacific Rim, even though it's not a video game.

SupahGamuh:
The lack of EVAs (wich are kinda/sorta monsters themselves), Megas-XLR and Symbionic Titan greatly dissapoints me.

I always digged giant robots more than giant monsters, I've never felt sympathetic for a giant monster before (except maybe King Kong), I just like them as antagonists, a giant punching bag and a great excuse to clean out the dust from our giant robots and take them out for a ride.

No gurren Laggan either. they just kept making it bigger and bigger! There's no competition against that!

Not even a nod to Gundam in the whole episode? I am disappoint.

kailus13:

somonels:

kailus13:

Kyle remains victorious.

What was that thing meant to be anyway? A futuristic eyepatch? A subtle reference that went completely over my head?

Probably something makeshift as he didn't have anything suitable. Reminded me of Jensen's glasses from DX:HR.

I liked this episode but there's one thing Kyle didn't mention for humans caught in the crossfire. For giant monsters, you have a fairly good guess where their weak spots are. If you blow off their head the giant monster's is dead or at the very least it's blind.

Giant robot on the other hand you don't how much redundancies it has. It might still work if you blow off an arm and a head. At worst it could be like Bender where it's head and it's limbs can all function separately when detached.

SupahGamuh:

Probably because they're Monsters and Giant Robots. I was so hoping to hear the argument "Now be honest - when you were watching EVA, were you rooting for Shinji to beat the Giant Monsters (aka Angels) or for the Giant Monsters to tear him out of the EVA, stomp on him for 15 straight minutes before finally throwing him into space?"

Giant Monsters FTW!

Giant robots all the way. I mean, they almost always win out against any monster opponent in the end.

Fayathon:

I'm a chick and I approve of giant robots. Also, I wish they'd put MEGAS XLR back on the air, but such is Cartoon Network.
Back to the debate, pilot-able giant robots should win, especially if they have epic paint jobs.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here