Movie Trailers: Oldboy - Red Band Trailer

Oldboy - Red Band Trailer

Spike Lee remakes the classic Oldboy and hopefully it doesn't suck.

Watch Video

Such mixed feelings right now.

Some of the scenes in the trailer look almost identical to the original, including costumes and locations. And then there's other stuff where it suggests they're going in a very different direction altogether.

Not quite sure about the focus on the hammer as well. The original film's hammer scene was so brilliant simply because it didn't draw attention to the fact at Oh-Dai-Su was kicking the everloving crap out of people with a hammer. Going for extreme hammer close-ups and trailer shots seems to be trying to over-egg thigns somewhat.

Hmmm... judgement postponed. I get the feeling I'm actually going to have to go watch this when it comes out, if only to see whether they're going in a new direction with the story or not. I was just hoping I could watch the trailer, pass it off as a quick cash-grab remake, and go back to watching the first film. Damn you Lee!

Spike Lee remakes the classic Oldboy and hopefully it doesn't suck.

Looks a lot like your hope is misplaced.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Such mixed feelings right now.

Some of the scenes in the trailer look almost identical to the original, including costumes and locations. And then there's other stuff where it suggests they're going in a very different direction altogether.

Not quite sure about the focus on the hammer as well. The original film's hammer scene was so brilliant simply because it didn't draw attention to the fact at Oh-Dai-Su was kicking the everloving crap out of people with a hammer. Going for extreme hammer close-ups and trailer shots seems to be trying to over-egg thigns somewhat.

Looks pretty....good. Willing to give it a shot. Hopefully it does something new and doesn't stick to the SK version too much.
Hmmm... judgement postponed. I get the feeling I'm actually going to have to go watch this when it comes out, if only to see whether they're going in a new direction with the story or not. I was just hoping I could watch the trailer, pass it off as a quick cash-grab remake, and go back to watching the first film. Damn you Lee!

EDIT: fuck it, completely screwed up the embedding. Long story short: looks ok, who knows, hopefully it does something new, yada yada ya.

I've never had high hopes for this one and it seems my pessimism was justified. Oh well, it can't go anywhere but up at this point.

Could work, surely it can't be any worse than the Bollywood version.

This is just one of my concerns, but please let the hammer fight be one long cut.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here