Kaiju Crush: The Monsters You've Never Heard Of

Kaiju Crush: The Monsters You've Never Heard Of

Have you heard of these giant monster movies? Probably not. Are they Awesome? Yes. Yes they are.

Read Full Article

Awesome. I'll go check it out when I get the chance.

Gappa: The Triphibian Monster

Thanks for this, as now I know the name of the monsters and there origin that featured in the Red Dwarf episode Meltdown.

MovieBob:
ed filmmaker Shim Hyung-Rae, who parlayed his experience on that film into the more widely seen (but no less notorious) Dragon Wars.

Oh God. Why did you remind me of Dragon Wars. WHY!

Finally, it's up. What happened?

Dogora could have a reboot nowadays, though instead of wanting carbon like diamonds and such, it could subsist off the rampant carbon emissions in the air. Perhaps the overabundance of it could cause a sort of algae bloom of smaller Dogora instead of one massive one.

Or they could be cheap and go the same way the USA Godzilla movie went with their whole breeding angle. But I think that'd be silly.

Bob, it's fantastic to see some one with your kind of exposure who knows all of these! I've seen all of these movies, and own most of them in some form or another. I've been a HUGE Kaiju fan for most of my life since I saw Godzilla 1985 when I was 6. I had a rare opportunity last night to see the midnight showing of Pacific Rim at the 20th annual Godzilla Fest here in Chicago. It was one of the best movie going experiences I've ever had, matching the Marvel Marathon I went to leading up to Avengers last year. It would be an honor to be able to someday sit down and trade thoughts on Kaiju movies with you. Take care, and keep spreading the word!

...THUNDER OF GIGANTIC SERPENT!

That is all X3

Agree with Daimajin, which I watched recently. The first movie is structured so that you almost forget it's a giant monster movie, seeming like a period drama instead. And then all hell breaks lose.

Oh, and the Blu-Ray quality is awesome for such an old movie.

Oh, I remember Gappa...messed up the time for the VCR so I only saw the first 5 minutes of it, or got 5 minutes after the movie I was recording or something.

I don't suppose we can get a column on awesome giant robots we might not have heard of before, can we?

RatherDull:
I don't suppose we can get a column on awesome giant robots we might not have heard of before, can we?

It would probably be a very short list. On the other hand, given every Westerner I've ever seen solely quotes Megas, Evangellion, Gurren Lagaan, Gundam and maybe sometimes Big O - one may be needed X3

No love for Pulgasari?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6OqNGbw8Ek

The North Koreans famously kidnapped a South Korean director to make it and had the monster scenes shot in Japan.

Super Inframan is very special
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zute03nWWI

Sir Shockwave:

RatherDull:

It would probably be a very short list. On the other hand, given every Westerner I've ever seen solely quotes Megas, Evangellion, Gurren Lagaan, Gundam and maybe sometimes Big O - one may be needed X3

They quote Gurren Lagann but not Getter Robo? They have no idea what they're missing!

Tim Chuma:
No love for Pulgasari?

The North Koreans famously kidnapped a South Korean director to make it and had the monster scenes shot in Japan.

Super Inframan is very special
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zute03nWWI

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/5273-Monsters-Movie

RatherDull:

Sir Shockwave:

RatherDull:

They quote Gurren Lagann but not Getter Robo? They have no idea what they're missing!

From what I typically see, they almost never quote Getter Robo, Tetsujin 28, Mazinger Z...those I would count as obscure.

Sir Shockwave:
From what I typically see, they almost never quote Getter Robo, Tetsujin 28, Mazinger Z...those I would count as obscure.

For shame! There are so many amazing things to quote from those!

Let me put it this way:

Kamina can't hold Ryouma's jock!

I feel oddly proud of myself for having already seen/known about all of these apart from Mozlah. (Incidentally, Zarkorr! The Invader and Kraa! The Sea Monster would have been good for this list - and the latter in particular might make for a good Schlocktober '13 video. Just throwin' that out there.)

RatherDull:
[quote="Tim Chuma" post="6.821714.19865643"]No love for Pulgasari?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/5273-Monsters-Movie

Forgot that one, whoops

RatherDull:

Sir Shockwave:

I know, right? So Bob could do an article there, but it would be short. I'd be hard pressed to name more obscure giant robots, but then Bob occasionally has his way of surprising us sometimes...

Sir Shockwave:

RatherDull:

Sir Shockwave:

I know, right? So Bob could do an article there, but it would be short. I'd be hard pressed to name more obscure giant robots, but then Bob occasionally has his way of surprising us sometimes...

Ever played Super Robot Taisen?

Let me tell you, there are a **** ton of awesome, obscure giant robots.

Six God Combination Godmars is another great one. Though I admit I like it just because I am nostalgic for its animation style.

RatherDull:
Ever played Super Robot Taisen?

Let me tell you, there are a **** ton of awesome, obscure giant robots.

Six God Combination Godmars is another great one. Though I admit I like it just because I am nostalgic for its animation style.

Up until you mentioned it, nope - no I haven't heard of either of them O_O

Sir Shockwave:

Up until you mentioned it, nope - no I haven't heard of either of them O_O

Basically, Super Robot Taisen is the Super Smash Bros of Mecha. Think of a giant robot made in Japan and it's most likely in there. They even include some of the most obscure mechs.

Playing through just ONE will give you enough to make whole several columns this size of obscure giant robots. And there are a TON of these games. Each with their own unique set of robots.

It's amazing.

I like articles like this because despite the title including "never heard of", I actually have heard of these so it's a rekindling and spread of awareness of what can best be described as "obscure film history/trivia".

Suddenly I understand what the MOTHER 3 themesong was referencing.

Daimajin loaded and ready to go.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here