Escape to the Movies: Pacific Rim

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Pacific Rim

MovieBob gives us his take on the the upcoming blockbuster Pacific Rim.

Watch Video

The movie was pretty good but I have to say...those 'Australian' characters had the worst 'Australian' accents ever.

The action was intense and epic although I don't think it will do very well unfortunately. Mainly because it is camp and full of cheesy acting/dialogue. It will probably be a box-office flop (especially with a $180 Million budget) and end up a cult classic like Starship Troopers.

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard you gush about a movie so much.

The best part of the movie is that it does not feel like it's two hours long. It's upbeat, funny, and a breath of fresh air in a really dreary summer.

Now I will nitpick and say the movie commits a few horrid sins, namely the exposition dumps. But that was balanced out by just how fun it is.

The only thing that I disliked about it, and I do mean ONLY, is the fact that there was a "bomb defused at 00:00:001" moment. I don't want to spoil it, but I think whoever saw it will know what I mean. Other then that I absolutely loved it. A true spectacle.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel about it Bob?

Anyway, it's nice to hear that not every movie that looks like a Michael Bay film has to have the quality of a Michael Bay film. Thank you Del Torro, now make Hellboy 3!

Actually, how cool would it have been if it turned out this movie secretly was Hellboy 3 all along, and he was just messing with us by not revealing it in the title or trailers.

In Soviet Pacific Rim, boat is on YOU!
That is if you happen to be a Kaiju's face.

Everyone digs giant robots.

Is this up a hell of a lot earlier then usual or what? Sweet. Lunchtime Escape.

Looking forward to this too. It's a little known fact, but the idea for a monster movie featuring giant mechs fighting giant alien dinosaus with Idris Elba and Ron Perlman in it was actually stolen from my dreams.

You're welcome.

I mean, come on

You dig giant robots, I dig giant robots, we dig giant robots, chicks dig giant robots. Why aren't you in a theater right now?

Retrograde:
Is this up a hell of a lot earlier then usual or what? Sweet. Lunchtime Escape.

Yeah I was surprised too...I can't believe I got first post because normally he posts his vids when I am asleep.

Gush more Bob :D

I saw it this morning.

It's alright, not great by any means, and I'm easy to impress.

I don't know, I think I was just expecting it to be more like this in terms of fun.

What is awesome, is that the voice of GLaDOS says 'Rocket Punch engaged'

I repeat

the voice of GLaDOS says 'Rocket Punch engaged'

Now I wait for Platinum games to make a movie...

Hey, it could happen :D

Oh sure Bob!
I'll just grab my bike and pedal that sucker across the fucking Atlantic.

I'm so goddamn jealous right now.

But hey at least it's supposed to be good so I do have something to look forward to at least

Well it's nice to know this live action Evangellion movie is awesome.. /snicker.

Either way, I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

RatherDull:
I mean, come on

You dig giant robots, I dig giant robots, we dig giant robots, chicks dig giant robots. Why aren't you in a theater right now?

Nice.

I'm going to go book to see this right now then Bob, just a shame IMAX is so far away.

This movie gets major points with me because it made me laugh. Normally cheesy dialog just has me groaning but it made me laugh. It made the entire theater laugh. And I guess action movies are not supposed to do that? But it worked for me. It is the first time since the Avengers that I had fun in a movie, and I really miss that.

I dunno. I feel like they should have had a different lead actor, and a script that gave a bit more time to the actual consequences of the neural link rather than focussing so much on the side characters getting into scrapes. Idris Elba was great, and the giant monster fights were quality action, but story-wise... it's just so damned boring and predictable. It clings so hard to standard action movie formula that I'm half-surprised they bothered to shoot the scenes in question. An audience that's already seen one or two action movies before would be quite capable of filling in the blanks between the monster bashes without a problem. Now, when the giant monsters and the giant robots are beating one another up, that fades into the background, but they don't really do enough with the characters despite the fantastic piloting systems (the lead character gets over his issues more or less straight away with no hurdles, and hell getting Mako as his co-pilot took more effort than her getting over her mental problems).

So yeah, hearty "meh" from me. The action was above par, everything else just got on my nerves because, well, the potential was there for it to be better, to be an actually interesting movie, but they completely failed to capitalise on it.

MovieBob:
Pacific Rim

Watch Video

Bob, I was getting reasonably excited for Pacific Rim throughout your review and was even planning to go see it... then you told me that there was a new Chucky movie that doesn't look like a comedy and looks like it has some practical effects...

Nope. No more Pacific Rim, must see Chucky.

RatherDull:
I mean, come on

Now if this inspires a Megas film, that would be amazing.

Daystar Clarion:
Gush more Bob :D

I saw it this morning.

It's alright, not great by any means, and I'm easy to impress.

I don't know, I think I was just expecting it to be more like this in terms of fun.

What is awesome, is that the voice of GLaDOS says 'Rocket Punch engaged'

I repeat

the voice of GLaDOS says 'Rocket Punch engaged'

Now I wait for Platinum games to make a movie...

Hey, it could happen :D

It would be hilarious if she called the Kaiju fat.

In response to the intro:

"Nah man, I got bills to pay!"

And, was that "oh my" a good, bad, or George Takei "oh my?"

mecegirl:
This movie gets major points with me because it made me laugh. Normally cheesy dialog just has me groaning but it made me laugh. It made the entire theater laugh. And I guess action movies are not supposed to do that? But it worked for me. It is the first time since the Avengers that I had fun in a movie, and I really miss that.

Nah, action movies used to be funny as shit back in the day without fear of being looked down on and they were better for it. For a modern example of what I'm talking about, see Machete. it's just that everything became super serious and in one way or another has sort of stay there...

MovieBob:
Pacific Rim

Watch Video

was the 'oh my' on the reveal of Electro a 'oh my that looks way better than i thought' or 'oh my, what a bunch of crap'? i really can't tell anymore.

Sold. Wasnt sure whether I would be seeing this as I didnt know how "serious" it was gonna be, but having watched this, I will be persuading my partner to come with :)

Ugh....why.....why......why did I promise my good friend I'd wait until next week to see this when he could break away from his family for a bit? It's good to hear that this film is lots of fun. I just hope that it does well. I really, really dig Del Toro as a director but he hasn't had any huge hits so I'd hate to see this movie flop.

I went in, and into an IMAX 3D theater at that, expecting a big over the top action movie with some heart. That is what it promised, that is what it gave me. It fits perfectly with Del Toro's style. Just think back to all of the action movies that Del Toro has had a hand in? Deeper characters would have been a nice addition, but I don't think that they were necessary. I think that since it didn't try to have depth, like other over the top movies, that the lack of depth did not disappoint me. If you go to see this movie just know that you are going to watch a live action 80's mecha anime, deal with it, and have fun.

Another week, another rip on the Dark Knight Trilogy. I'm really getting tired of him shooting those films down.

OT - It's giant robots fighting giant monsters! Messing that up would take a lot of skill. Looking forward to checking this one out.

It's coming to Sweden on August 2nd. I'm so pumped for this I can't even...

My initial concern was that Hollywood would try to clone this movie and end up burning more money than the rest of the world combined could ever hope to see, but, then I realized that if there were a sequel (and yeah, there will be. I mean c'mon) it would only serve to show just how badly out of ideas Hollywood is. I do not envy the likely forthcoming "Voltron" movie when it will be compared to this.

Did they post this early so that it wouldn't mess with the Steam Sale flow?

sounds good and i sure are interested, but for some odd reason my cinema, who usually plays 2D and 3D version of the same movie,only has it in 3D.
not really fond of 3D and it costs too much. looks like i have to wait till its out on dvd so i can watch it in normal 2D version.

See it in IMAX 3D.

No really. The 3D is astoundingly well-done, and the bass in IMAX theaters is so loud and deep that every time a Kaiju takes a step, you'll feel like it just thumped down next to you. Holy crap does the IMAX experience rock for this.

I saw this twice already. (Prescreening and yesterday after release in Boston.) I predict a lot of people will complain that even though it's already a 2.25-hour movie, it doesn't have enough slowed-down character moments and there wasn't enough focus on the Drifting between the two main characters and that

The problem is, if you added anything to this movie, it would turn into a Lord of the Rings-length monstrosity. Del Toro couldn't have fit anything else in here, or it would have padded out the movie. The point isn't for this to be a big dramatic character movie; the point is to show people characters that they already understand, in an interesting way, so that they can get straight into the world as it is and follow along as we see this incredibly small snapshot of what's going on. The movie represents the last dregs of the Kaiju war, not the whole shebang. It needs a very quick and brusque setup just to get off the ground, and we can't waste time faffing about with the main characters' issues. We know they have them; we can assume they're putting them aside because IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD, WHAT ELSE ARE YOU GOING TO DO. If you can't manage to deal with your psychology in the face of THE END OF THE WORLD, you have no business piloting a giant robot in the fight to keep said end of the world from happening. Presumably this is why the character development goes so quickly -- you don't have *time* in this setting to go through a huge character arc. It's one shot, one try, no retries. You screw up, and the world is over. How many times have you yelled at characters for not sucking it up in the face of epic consequences? Probably a lot. And finally when they do so, you don't really get to complain, because it just makes sense.

I liked that. It made things simple but not stupid, as Bob said. Giant monster, punch it in the face. There's no time to freak out when you're about to get ripped apart.

The main problem I see with the movie, which isn't big at all to me, is that

What my smile the most was the very last part of the credits and no, that's not damming with praise:

In Memory of Ray Harryhausen and Ishirō Honda.

Great acknowledgment and good stuff overall.

Sounds interesting, may go and see it if I get the chance. Also another week, another rip on the Amazing Spiderman, seriously Bob, it's been a year already, let it go

Hmmm. Ok, the thing is - I know Bob too well now. I know how much he loves giant monster movies. I've seen him gush about crazy Godzilla sequels and King Kong remakes. So while I'm pleased they made a giant monster movie that appeals to him, I don't know how much this says about how much I'll enjoy it. Giant robots punching monsters in the face sounds fun but... well, only up to a point. I mean - if his reference point is Independence Day then that's a big warning to me because I fucking hated that movie.

On the other hand, so far there's scarcely a movie I haven't been basically in agreement with him about, so despite my reservations I think the sheer exuberant joy in his voice is enough to get me over my skepticism. I'll probably give it a go. But it sounds... pretty dumb to me.

I saw PR mere hours ago and I gotta say best use of cgi ever. Unlike bob though i think I would have liked a little more depth or uniqueness to the characters but ah I guess that's more a nitpick than a negative. For what the movie intended to be it sure freaking pulls it off and then some. Right down to the "boss battle" you know is coming at the end lol.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here