Escape to the Movies: Pacific Rim

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Saw this movie tonight, I liked it, was a bit shocked that my cinema (in aus) had it 3 times a day in 2d, but had lone ranger 8 times.
After recently watching man of steel (man of shakycam amiright?), I was amazed how I didn't spot any product placement, not even a mobile phone, unless it was all for a japanese audience or something?

There was one thing that got to me in the movie though...

I saw it at a preview screening yesterday, and I very much enjoyed it. Huge battle scenes, not too much bloat between bloat between them, and finaly a movie that decided it could end with out a massive sequel hook in it. A refreshingly self contained movie. GO SEE IT

MovieBob:
Pacific Rim

MovieBob gives us his take on the the upcoming blockbuster Pacific Rim.

Watch Video

GIANT ROBOTS AND MONSTERS AND BOOMS AND KER-PUNCHES AND YAY!!!

OT: However I am now a little worried. This looks like another film that MovieBob is going to make me hate with constant references and comparisons. I really did like the Avengers Bob. That is until you praised it into the ground for me. Please don't do that to this one. I want to keep enjoying this over-the-top nonsense.

pretzil:
Saw this movie tonight, I liked it, was a bit shocked that my cinema (in aus) had it 3 times a day in 2d, but had lone ranger 8 times.
After recently watching man of steel (man of shakycam amiright?), I was amazed how I didn't spot any product placement, not even a mobile phone, unless it was all for a japanese audience or something?

There was one thing that got to me in the movie though...

I'm not on a bike, bus, train or whatever to go see it because I saw it at midnight ... (0)_(0) go now. I agree ees gewd

I saw it last night. It really was a great movie, but I don't think the various flaws should go completely forgotten...

With no spoilers, it is quite a predictable movie and not quite on the same intellectual level as Mass Effect, but it does really recall a sense of child-like wonder without the "thinky-talkiness" or more grown-up sci-fi and the cynicism of most other action movies.

Gotta love a movie where every so often you ask "Did they just...?" And the response is "Yes, and it's awesome. :D

Why aren't I going to see it right now? Because I'm poor.

Also, someone needs to gif-erise that 'punch it in the face' bit of the review.

Daystar Clarion:
Gush more Bob :D

I saw it this morning.

It's alright, not great by any means, and I'm easy to impress.

I don't know, I think I was just expecting it to be more like this in terms of fun.

What is awesome, is that the voice of GLaDOS says 'Rocket Punch engaged'

I repeat

the voice of GLaDOS says 'Rocket Punch engaged'

Now I wait for Platinum games to make a movie...

Hey, it could happen :D

Seeing it tonight! Seeing it tonight!! SEEING IT TONIGHT!!!

Also, im glad im not the only one freaking out over Wonder101.

Sorry Bob, cant watch this one yet. I'm off to see Evangelion Pacific Rim tonight, so I'll watch later and see if I agree with you.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

This movie. The one movie this summer I have been genuinely looking forward to. From a director I genuinely respect and admire. The one movie I've been counting down the days to since May.

And it's not being shown within a 40 mile radius of where I'm living right now.

Thank you Warner Bros and Odeon Cinemas for screwing up my weekend. Good f--king job all round, people.

Glad to hear the movie is awesome. Love to read the comments who seem to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. "It's alright" or "I was expecting more"... those are priceless. I won't see it till tomorrow though, so we'll see what happens, maybe I'll agree with the "it as alright" crowd. Interestingly enough, I don't have much in the way of expectations. I don't know how these things will remotely look when they do it live action with a massive budget. I mean, half the time animated battles with giant robots looked like complete shit. So, I'm excited to see how I feel about it, almost as excited as I am to see this movie.

pearcinator:
It's not doing so well over here in Australia (opened in 4th place)

Not the first time I've seen this today, and it's really annoying me. It's been out for 2 days now, 2 week days. Save your judgments on how well the movie goes for the first weekend that it's out. The ONLY reason it is losing to kids movies is because it is currently school holidays.

.[/quote]
self explanatory, like superman not killing, you know one of your nit picks on man of steal? no really not gonna see it. There plenty of things he would crapped on this movie if it was from some one else about something else.

Bobs literally made it his self mission to give this movie a rub over so many others out of blind favoritism.
I would like to have heard the negative. Not that it would have drove me away,
never been a fan of having something shoved down my throat.

Why i'm not on the way to the theatre right now? Because while i really want to see Pacific Rim it's not quite worth the price of a flight to America. In one or two weeks, maybe.

I can't get over how much that girl looks like a prettier Faith from Mirror's Edge. The black tank-top helped too. Makes me want to see her parkour all over the place.

Opening box office is apparently less than Despicable Me 2, meaning that it won't go that much over its budget.

Big ass monster right over there! Get over your shit and punch it in the face! PUNCH IT IN THE FACE!

I laughed. That bit needs to be GIFfed.

I just hope this movie and the new godzilla is at least mildly successful. I just want big monster movies to be a thing again. I think the last Kaiju(Not including cloverfield) film I saw in theaters was Godzilla 2000.

I especially want the Godzilla film to both be successful enough to warrant sequels and just be a solid film. Why? Becuase I want to see King Ghidorah and Mothra in all their modern cinematic glory fighting Godzilla in IMAX.

They don't have to be the absolute bet films or the next 'big thing', I just want them to be able to be a semi-consistent presence.

1. I have no money.

2. I have no interest in this movie.

3. I would rather watch Kaijuu monster movies and G Gundam.

Sorry, Bob. Right now the only movies showing are The Lone Ranger and Despicable Me 2. I'll see it as soon as I am able though.

A3sir:

pearcinator:
It's not doing so well over here in Australia (opened in 4th place)

Not the first time I've seen this today, and it's really annoying me. It's been out for 2 days now, 2 week days. Save your judgments on how well the movie goes for the first weekend that it's out. The ONLY reason it is losing to kids movies is because it is currently school holidays.

Why there are bound to be those who go against something to seem different, I honestly thought the film was only alright.

It felt restrained, I mean, robots punching giant monsters in the face should make me feel more awesome than this movie did.

Retrograde:
Is this up a hell of a lot earlier then usual or what? Sweet. Lunchtime Escape.

I've heard that they have made some changes in the schedule to reduce the stress on servers caused by people waiting for the videos to be uploaded then opening multiple videos in multiple tabs to get them all ready, but I'm not sure. This has been the case with Unskippable, Feed Dump, Top 5 and Rhymedown spectacular (I might be forgetting some now) so it sounds plausible.

OT: This wont air here until the start of August... Oh well, at least I've got something to look forward to.

Do they say in the movie why we need giant mech's as to just using tanks and air strikes on these things? Don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna see it, just wondering about that.

Well, glad to see that it didn't suck and now I can see it this weekend. :D

Would have loved to the see the UK make a Warhammer 40K style mech for the movie but oh well.

Gotta say, you screaming at me for a whole minute telling me to watch a movie I had barely heard of while constantly being reminded of how light my wallet is with payday on Monday (and a Steam sale going) made me want to try and see this movie even less than I did before. Sort of like how I feel about the Hunger Games books and how I did with Harry Potter: so much hype and too many people telling me how AWESOME they are just makes me cringe. I'm sure a psychologist has termed a name for it.

It's also weird that the more you dissect a movie and feel either "meh" or "hate" to a movie, the more I tend to enjoy them and your reviews (I didn't like Into Darkness though). Outright gushing doesn't do it for me.

About the movie: why are giant robots a must see? Is this some part of geek culture that I have either never learned and just don't give a crap about? The trailers never got me remotely interested, it looked like another generic action flick, and sue me but I like exposition in my movies. Why are you always ripping on characters having, well, character? If a book didn't have exposition we'd all be reading Twilight.

Frankly, I'll pass. I can't say specific reasons why other than I don't find the premise interesting, which should be enough by itself. Big giant robots just does not do it for me, no matter the setting. I'll wait for Netflix.

OT: I'm getting really annoyed at this layer of "you're not a *insert generic stereotype of a sub-cuilture figure here* unless you LOVE this movie/book/game/etc" idea that is reappearing. Felt like your entire review was based off of this when you, for as much I know of you, don't even like that idea.

Not feeling bad for not watching the movie right now and definitely not feeling like I'm less than "x" if I don't.

It really is that good. Saw it last night and I loved it. Pacific Rim is one of those rare beasts that is exactly the logical progression of an older (fun) premise taken to new heights with contemporary ideas and technology.

The best comparisons to this I can really make from recent movies are Drive and Moonrise Kingdom from the last two years. They were both movies out of time, respectively an '80s-style action movie with a romance subplot and a story of two kids in the '60s running off from their parents and the law to be together, both made with such care as to remind people that we didn't just love the older and hokier versions due to nostalgia. Pacific Rim has that much care and that much heart, but is instead a goddamn monster-versus-robot smackdown where everything you always had to imagine in a 'what if this was real' way from all the Gundams and Power Rangers and Evangelions etc. actually happened in a fully fleshed out way and was as glorious as you could have hoped.

A-MAZ-ING Movie. Really. Saw it. Go see it.

*mic drop, walk off stage*

Just got back from seeing the Friday morning show. Great movie! Lots of awesomeness! The semi-post credit sequence was fun. Ron Pearlman IS Hannibal Chau! Everything about him is both ridiculous and badass at the same time!

I left the theater wanting more...which is the highest praise for a movie like this. The running time flew by!

Already saw it last night, on that note:

Some people work in the non-entertainment industry, Bob.

But I'm glad you thought the movie is good. I've been in agreement with you for pretty much every review (except Avengers, but I attribute that to watching it in 3D that made my eyeballs hurt in the Third Act) so I'll take time to see this one.

Mako doesn't really work as a Rei Ayanami clone. Mako is pretty much a stoic, almost samurai-esque warrior woman. Rei was quiet, eerie, and socially withdrawn to the point of essentially being incompetent at dealing with people. If anything Mako is basically what Asuka THINKS she is.

Don't worry Bob, I will be watching it tommorrow since that's when my Uncle (who I'm watching the film with) is coming over so I will be editing my comment once I have seen it.

The Kaiju were amazing looking, make me wonder if Japan had more of their budget with their monster films (no I am not saying they should replace their costume monster with CGI, I want want to see it as a experimental thing).

EDIT- Ok I've finally watched it despite my Uncle was too busy to watch it. Overall it's good (now I get the Top Gun vibe that my bro mention).

I may aswell leave this here, ahem "Suck it to all the naysayers in this threads made two months ago!!" http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.409331-Pacific-rim-people-Get-some-excitement-going?page=1

Maybe there is something wrong with me, but I just can't get excited for this movie. I just don't seem to be able get into the whole giant robots vs giant monsters.

Did Bob just call this 'original'? Big things punching each other in a city setting? Godzilla? Hell, even the power rangers.

Although I'd just see it for Ron Perlman in shades.

I saw the movie last night, and it definitely did not disappoint. I loved the designs of all the jagers (especially the russian one), and the Kaiju were just as good. Especially when that one appeared. You know the one. That was awesome.

I just hope this spawns a new era of giant monster/giant robot movies. Hell, I'd even see a sequel with the simple premise of "another breach has opened" or "they have come for revenge".

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here