Escape to the Movies: Pacific Rim

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Unsung heroes of 'Pacific Rim': Asian IT Support team.

Oh, and did the two scientists remind you of anyone?

And a film with so much COLOUR! That was wonderful to see!

Now i need to borrow a tenner :( poor but damn I was tettering on the brink and you sold it to me Bob.

Saw this in an advance screening on Wednesday in Imax 3D and it was breathtaking to watch. Besides having amazing visuals and action scenes, unlike so many summer blockbuster movies, I actually cared about the characters.

Edit: It was also hilarious to see Charlie Day as a scientist. He's pretty much the exact same person as he is in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia only much smarter and he's not always craving cheese.

shintakie10:
Though why isn't Bob rippin this for bein a big stupid action movie? Thought he hated those?

Could be because Pacific Rim is actively trying. It wasn't condescending or pretentious, it seemed to be more interested in pleasing the audience and having fun at the expense of itself than it was trying to be a "genre defining masterpiece". All the actors seemed to be aware of the cheese, however they ran towards it and embraced it as an integral part of the plot that the plot would be less without rather than trying to change the tone mid-film for the sake of... art? That and they all looked like they were having fun.

It was just a fun film to watch, the Independence Day comparison is apt.

As an aside I remember earlier someone mentioned something about...

PuckFuppet:

chozo_hybrid:

mbarker:
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I bet you there will be a sequal next summer and it is going to suck balls.

I seriously doubt there will be a sequel, not spoiling, just saying.

They're already writing it, but supposedly del Toro is hands off in regards the content and will probably only be involved as a director or producer.

Well then, looks like I'm eating my words for dinner tonight XD

I guess it could be done, but they have a lot to live up to now.

Not seen it yet, but will get to my local flicks as quickly as possible. It looks so good I may have watch it twice.

After the Eva reboot movies not being that great, this fits that gap nicely.

i liked this movie cause it actually had sci-fi in it while being a great action movie too

i did feel a major disconnect between the cgi and the live action though, near the start of the movie there is a scene where one of the robots is damaged and crashes down on the beach the humans there dont run away screaming or react in any way

I saw Pacific Rim in 3D today on one of my two days off because I had to work tomorrow and didn't want to work around the movie theaters schedule and my job's schedule to see it after work tomorrow.

Bob summed it up perfectly. It's a fucking blast, especially in 3D (well worth the price and cold popcorn I had). What else is there to say to get you into theaters but BIG HONKIN' ROBOTS FIGHTING CITY CRUSHING MONSTERS FROM ANOTHER DIMENSION WITH RETRACTABLE ARM SWORDS AND ROCKET PUNCHES TO THE FACE!!! Plus its got Ron "fuck mothering" Perlman and the voice of GLaDOS for the main character's robot Gypsy Danger. That's a win-win for geeks like me.

This movie rocks and has no traces of cynical, bloated, wastes from previous of this year. Man of Steel can mope around all he wants and red-face Johnny Depp can try on another weird hat, I'm making plans to see this movie AND Despicable Me 2 (another fun movie to watch Bob should have done a review about) next week.

EDIT: Forgot about the new pics of Electro from Amazing Spider-Man 2. My only question is this, if I move my finger around the top of Jamie Foxx's head, will the electricity follow it around? ;P

I'm hoping this gives del Toro the money to make At the Mountains of Madness

Wow, suddenly the Tuesday rant of "well, everyone should see it so it doesn't bomb" thing now looks border-lining pathetic, childish and paranoid. I might see it this year, I might not. It seems so safe that it's worth putting it away for when I want a film that will entertain but not deliver anything beyond "entertain".

I still look forward to Only God Forgives, which looks like it might be deeply polarising and might bomb. However, it looks very stylised and interesting.

triggrhappy94:
I'm hoping this gives del Toro the money to make At the Mountains of Madness

I recall him saying before he's not going to make that film, ever.

Why the hell is everyone acting like something fresh? Isn't there a huge budget movie about robots playing fisticuffs like every summer? (Transformers, Real Steel etc.) This is supposed to be a creative new idea for a movie because this time the robots are punching lizards instead of other robots? I'll probably end up renting it because I like Del Toro, but the premise seems boring to me.

I honestly don't get the hype for this movie.

Welp you convinced me!

So that's probably too short of a post so I'll say this: I don't like traditional monster movies (Godzilla, King Kong, etc.), BUT I think that usually has to do with its outdated technology. This could make me a fan of a resurgent monster genre!

WanderingFool:

canadamus_prime:
Wow, I don't think I've ever heard you gush about a movie so much.

Forgot Scott Pilgrim?

No. I don't think he gushed this much over Scott Pilgrim. He gushed a lot about it, but not this much. ...at least not in his initial review anyway.

Perhaps I have watched too much mecha anime but I never expected it to be a live action Evangelion. Mostly because the trailers looked too positive. I mean Stacker Pentecost's speech in the trailer should have been a dead givaway that this would not be like Eva. Way too much hope.

I AM planning to go see this movie, so I don't feel bad for not seeing it before this review. Also, there seems to be quite a few comments... usually it's because MovieBob said something controversial or something. I wonder why that is...

Damnit - PR first comes out the 29th here in Denmark :(

Fantastic. Still problematic as hell in depictions of minority characters in a ton of ways, and I still cringe when people say "gypsy" all willy nilly but otherwise FANTASTIC. Well, the premise is tired and old, so if you don't like monster movies in general, you won't care here, but OTHERWISE go see it. Just make sure you're prepared to want to play with action figures for hours afterwards.

Jegsimmons:

Its the only movie out right now and its only competition is grown ups 2 and is getting universal praise....box office flop my ass.

There's The Lone Ranger, Man of Steel, The Heat, This is the End, Monsters University and World War Z still out in cinemas over here too. I am just predicting that Pacific Rim will be mostly forgotten. I saw it on launch day and there were only like 30 people in the cinema. I may be wrong but it just feels like it's going to end up a cult movie to me.

That's not a bad thing, some of my favourite movies ever are cult movies (Starship Troopers is near-perfect to me) and even if it does flop at the box office (or make very little profit) it will probably go very well in DVD/Blu-Ray sales much like Dredd (2012) did!

Bob... while I am really looking forward to a big two-hour eye candy explosion that will be a blast to watch,(I'm going to the next show in a few hours)... I have to say that comparing it to Independence Day raises a giant red flag.

Independence Day is quite possibly the absolute worst big budget spectacular I've ever seen... unless you count anything else that hack director/schlock master Roland Emmerich has ever made. ID4 hinges on plot points that pass the line of stupid by a mile, and coincidences that would make Victorian Romance writers blush.

I don't need my movies to be dark and brooding and to grapple with weighty dramatic issues... though I do love those movies. Movies can be simple and airy and stocked with humor, but even in the obviously unrealistic world of scifi/fantasy action, I can be ripped out of suspension of disbelief when a movie decides to break its own internal logic and reality with this that make no sense in any version of reality... like defeating the aliens with a virus uploaded from a Macbook or Will Smith's stripper girlfriend just happening upon the stranded First Lady then leading the refugees to a secret government base she couldn't possibly know the location of. ID4 is a cavalcade of dumb followed by dumb.

I'm still pretty pumped for Pacific Rim... and I don't expect it to be Aaron Sorkin Smart and Christopher Nolen gritty, but I do hope it creates an internal logic for its world's own reality, then lives by its own rules. If it does that, which ID4 did not, then I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it.

I am, however, heartened and reassured by what you said out the characters being well fleshed out without burdensome expositions. Del Toro is a smart director, and Emmerich is not, so my hopes are still high.

Can we have one episode where you're not talking about how much you hated The Amazing Spider-Man (a movie I enjoyed) Bob? I am off to go see this on Monday and I am looking forward to it. However... it's going up against The Lone Ranger which in my mind is the best movie this summer so far (action, western, Gore Verbinksi, Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp equals win in my book). I'll probably enjoy this but I doubt I'll see it as the brilliant movie Bob says it is. Other critics I follow have said "it's good, but not as good as you want it to be" so I'll reserve judgement until I see it.

pearcinator:

Jegsimmons:

Its the only movie out right now and its only competition is grown ups 2 and is getting universal praise....box office flop my ass.

There's The Lone Ranger, Man of Steel, The Heat, This is the End, Monsters University and World War Z still out in cinemas over here too. I am just predicting that Pacific Rim will be mostly forgotten. I saw it on launch day and there were only like 30 people in the cinema. I may be wrong but it just feels like it's going to end up a cult movie to me.

That's not a bad thing, some of my favourite movies ever are cult movies (Starship Troopers is near-perfect to me) and even if it does flop at the box office (or make very little profit) it will probably go very well in DVD/Blu-Ray sales much like Dredd (2012) did!

Aren't Warner Bros projected to lose up to $65 million on this? I read somewhere that the film just isn't tracking AT ALL with general audiences and is really only appealing to the hardcore Sci-Fi crowd.

Just got back from the movie. And it was AMAZING.

I would heartily recommend it.

Bob BOB!!!!!! That memory scene! God! It was unnecessary! But, but my eyes got all wet for some reason. And it wasn't from laughter. I don't remember movies doing that to me anymore.

Also, Pacific Rim totally sold Wonderful 101 without even trying. :P

I just got back from this, and WOW. Just...WOW.

Of the five movies I've seen this summer, this basically handed all of 'em their asses.

Looking trough-out the trailers the anime; Neon Genesis Evangelion came to mind. The idea of pilots needing to be in sink with each other and the concept of ranking that "creatures". I notice that Bob also must have noticed this for the picture of Rei Ayanami. But yes as a movie of the year. Has to be. Can't wait to watch it, and then buy it.

Bob last time I remember you getting me this hyped for a movie was Immortals and I thought it didn't live up to your hype. So I'm going to try a different approach, I'm going to try go into the theater expecting nothing out of Pacific Rim.

just got back from it an hour ago.

if your reading this...

WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE AND NOT TRYING TO SEE IT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Magog1:
self explanatory, like superman not killing, you know one of your nit picks on man of steal? no really not gonna see it. There plenty of things he would crapped on this movie if it was from some one else about something else.

Bobs literally made it his self mission to give this movie a rub over so many others out of blind favoritism.
I would like to have heard the negative. Not that it would have drove me away,
never been a fan of having something shoved down my throat.

Sir, you are pulling a Clint Eastwood.

OT: I can't wait to see this movie, shame it's still not out in my country.

Just came back from seeing this. I'd say that if you want a film about giant robots beating the crap out of giant monsters then this is most definitely the film for you, it's beautiful, well choreographed and delivers many well thought through fight scenes which are made out of some kind of awesome-mecha alloy (and fish).

But I thought it was a bit rushed both in plot and characterisation as if this was the film adaptation of a Manga series in which much, much more had happened leading up to the final assault. I also thought they picked the wrong main character, Mako had way more baggage to be resolved through punching Kaiju in the face and the third act was far more transformative and empowering for her than for Raleigh. They missed an opportunity there.

Bob likes his nostalgia as usual, and that's nice, but did he miss the part where...

synobal:

You're looking to deeply at my comment there. I'm just saying I don't really get the whole giant robot vs giant monster thing. But if I just post once sentence I seem to have a habit of getting a warning.

I know you didn't mean it seriously. I was just expressing how I hate that it is a common phrase for expressing that one doesn't see the attraction to something the same way people ask, "Is there something wrong with me for not liking ________?" Because it's an invite for all the trolling fanboys to start shit.

I saw this movie Friday morning (Yesterday at this point) and I loved it. Never have I been brought to a state of such joy during a movie fight scene as multiple fights did in PR. Maybe I just love giant robots, mechs, giant monsters, rocket punches, boats being used as clubs and so on.

MacNille:

Take a sip. And I'm sick and tired of hearing bashing on superhero films where the heroes are not going around and punching each other and spend more time on (gasp) character!

That would imply those superhero movies had characters to begin with. :\

I actually DID leave my computer and go to see the movie when Bob told me too. Maybe I shouldn't be airlifting my opinions on films from one singular internet critic, but he got me to see Pacific Rim, so I don't regret a thing.

pearcinator:

Jegsimmons:

well there were about 15 people at the 10 am showing of it were I live and trust me when I say this as small a town as I have that's a lot of people for 10 am.

OT: great movie got to recommend that everyone see it at least once:)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here