Escapist Podcast: 100: Pacific Rim, GTA V and The Lone Ranger

100: Pacific Rim, GTA V and The Lone Ranger

100th Podcat! This week, we're excited for Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim. We also tear into The Lone Ranger and discuss the new Grand Theft Auto V trailer. And we have a special guest!

Watch Video

Great podcast, guys. This was my favorite one since Susan left. Great debut in the podcast by Andrea Rene, too. It's nice to hear more from someone that we're used to just seeing in the news role.

Again, great podcast everyone!

Interestingly Pacific Rim had no mo cap at all according to Del Toro.

Hey Podcat crew!! The kinda of mecha I would be is definitely a Gundam pilot. If I had a choice, it would either be the Strike Freedom from SEED Destiny or Heavyarms custom from Wing: Endless Waltz. If you guys do a Kaiju one, Godzilla all the way! I am nearly as knowledgeable of Kaiju as MovieBob, and Godzilla is always my favorite

Guys? You managed to misspell @nasrin 's name beneath the video there...

I got to say, I'm with SENIOR Editor of Community, Lashani on the always online thing. I don't trust anyone to go always online. Especially now.

Granted, as Senior Producer, Andrea said, at least a part of it is the messaging. Most of the things I heard about the X-box one(before the 180) were things it won't let me do, and the few good things it was going to do(that I don't think they explained enough either) did not sound like they were worth the always online restrictions and no used games.

Not only that, but I don't think we have the right infrastructure yet, on either side. You all in the podcat just talked about how people sometimes just can't get the best internet, and look what happened with Diablo 3 and SimCity 5. They couldn't keep one game from having problems, so how are they going to deal with ALL the games on a system?

Also, one thing you didn't completely get to, why do we have to always be online to have those features(digital game sharing) that MS took away after the 180? Because that sounds a lot like when people said SimCity 5 NEEDED to be online to work, and that was proven a lie.

I do believe that Digital IS the future, but we shouldn't try to go there by force. And I don't believe that always online is needed. Good internet is needed to get the most out of some games, yes. That's kind of true right now even, but we don't need to always have the system connected to work for even games that don't use the internet.

Those are my thoughts on it anyway.

Saw Pacific Rim yesterday on my birthday. :D IT'S AWESOME!

Great Podcat!

Here's my beef with the XBone policies (plus everything Jim Sterling has said on the issue), They never actually promised us any of the wonderful things the XBone could do. They hinted at them, said what they could do if they wanted to, and made vague promises of the awesomeness to come, but nothing concrete, and then tacked on the awful DRM and said the needed that for the glorious future of Tomorrowland. And when they removed the DRM, they suddenly highlighted their vague future and said: "Well, since you're not ready, we won't do this". Here's the thing though. They didn't HAVE to remove those awesome features to remove the DRM, they just choose to. If they really wanted them, they could have implemented other systems to keep them there. (For instance, game sharing could have worked only with connected devices, people would have chosen to go always online themselves).
The only thing that would have required an always online connection would have been this cloud computing thing, but here's the thing, with they way the old DRM was functioning, that wasn't a viable option anyway. It still could go offline for 24 hours, so if the cloud was integral to some games, they still wouldn't have been compatible to 100% of XBone owners. MS didn't have to remove the potentially awesome features, they choose to bundle them with their DRM because they wanted to, and it was them, not "the haters" that "ruined the Xbox One".

Why does every podcast crash at 10:53 and I have to skip to 11:04 to make it play?

Crazy Zaul:
Why does every podcast crash at 10:53 and I have to skip to 11:04 to make it play?

Oh, I thought it was just me. Yeah, I'll chime in that I'm getting the same glitch.

Also, I'm really digging Andrea's dynamic here. It's too bad she isn't always at the escapist HQ, if I understood correctly, because she would really add a lot to the podcasts. Pretty good podcast crew mixture this time around. I wonder if one day we could get a all-female podcast in Janelle is able to come back, though I'm not sure if there's a fourth woman there after Susan's departure.

Varya:
And when they removed the DRM, they suddenly highlighted their vague future and said: "Well, since you're not ready, we won't do this". Here's the thing though. They didn't HAVE to remove those awesome features to remove the DRM, they just choose to.

Yeah, this is exactly what I was thinking while listening to the podcat. If I remember right it was actually brought up on the previous episode where the Xbox 180 was discussed. One of the guys described it at the time: Removing the features in addition to the DRM just seemed like petulance. MS basically decided that if people didnt like the DRM they were going to take their ball and go home. I was a bit surprised after the previous episode that everyone was discussing this time how fans suddenly wanted stuff back, when last time they seemed to understand that this wasnt the stuff they wanted to get rid of in the first place.

shiajun:

Crazy Zaul:

Oh, I thought it was just me. Yeah, I'll chime in that I'm getting the same glitch.

Also, I'm really digging Andrea's dynamic here. It's too bad she isn't always at the escapist HQ, if I understood correctly, because she would really add a lot to the podcasts. Pretty good podcast crew mixture this time around. I wonder if one day we could get a all-female podcast in Janelle is able to come back, though I'm not sure if there's a fourth woman there after Susan's departure.

I got this as well. I don't know why it happens, but it also sometimes happens with Youtube videos, so maybe it's something in the player?

I just can't get excited about GTA5. Sure it's got a huge open world with tons to do in it, but the problem is you're forced to inhabit that world with characters I have absolutely no interest in playing. That and GTA4 was such a huge step down in actual fun for me that I just can't build any excitement at all.

In short, I'm an Escapist to, but a big open world you can escape to doesn't mean it's a world I want to escape to.

No Baldur's Gate, no Star Trek/Star Wars references, no food discussion... I call counterfeit!
Also, 100th podcast, and no one points that out? How sad. :(
Seriously though, I'm starting to feel a certain disconnect with the podcat: first Russ left, the Steve, now Susan, and Greg's (understandably) out this week, and no Justin. Maybe it's the people, maybe I'm just getting older and take longer to adapt to changes, who knows?
In a similar vein (segue!!), I just can't seem to get excited about GTA5. Like at all. Golfing, fishing, etc, what is this Wii Sports? It doesn't feel GTA-esque at all! I get it that they're trying to make the game broader and larger, but it feels *too* big. Was never a big fan of the series, but I'll pass. I just don't have time for a game of this scope.
I'll be eagerly awaiting SR4 instead.

Johnny Depp as Tonto = me not interested in watching The Lone Ranger. There are at least a dozen Native American actors regularly appearing in films and television who would have been much better cast for the role of Tonto. I have no interest in watching a "Native American" Jack Sparrow and all expect from Johnny Depp anymore is different versions of Captain Jack Sparrow. He just doesn't seem to do any other roles in the last few years.

The dynamics of this podcast change so much from week to week.
It was interesting watching the very mild personality clash between Ma'idah and Andrea this week, although nothing compared to the days of Susan vs Paul.

I've deliberately avoided all hype for GTA-V because I want to enter it pure and without pre-conceptions. I'm definitely in alignment with Ma'idah - I'm an escapist and am looking forward to simply BEING in another reality - a beautiful rich world, full of toys. Hopefully when it comes to PC it'll play nicely with the Oculus Rift!

MetaMorlock:
It was interesting watching the very mild personality clash between Ma'idah and Andrea this week, although nothing compared to the days of Susan vs Paul.

Yeah, you picked up on that? I agree, it was a good dynamic, though. Ma'idah can run roughshod over other people in the podcast somethings (see: Paul), but Andrea politely shut down most of those attempts this time around.

Logan Hartke:

MetaMorlock:

Yeah, you picked up on that? I agree, it was a good dynamic, though. Ma'idah can run roughshod over other people in the podcast somethings (see: Paul), but Andrea politely shut down most of those attempts this time around.

Ma'idah is possibly my favourite podcatien (with her dragonfly mind darting between loosely connected ideas) so shutting her down is something I would personally discourage. I take your point though and so the challenge is on for the other podsters to keep the ball bouncing.

While we are on the subject of the pod-people: I always find that Justin adds a nice logical perspective to the discussion - often picking up on things that the others miss. And Paul... it's good to see him have a little more breathing space. He definitely works best on his own wavelength.

Ah nothing like some good old Cards Against Humanity. Unfortunately, it's not actually available to buy here in the UK so I only stick to the online version, but I always inevitably end up in tears of laughter whenever I play it.

Here's the link for anyone interested

It's off-topic, but as I listened to - and partly watched - this podcast I tried to catch the infamously hard-to-catch Feebas in Pokemon Ruby - one of several games whose audio I don't need to hear. It took me 20 minutes, by the podcast timer.

On-topic, I'm glad this podcast was recorded before you watched Pacific Rim, since I haven't watched it yet.

Crazy Zaul:

If you're careful you can jump to 10:54 and it'll go normally.
But yeah, I'm having the same problem.

OT:
I must have Cards Against Humanity now.

Eleima:
No Baldur's Gate, no Star Trek/Star Wars references, no food discussion... I call counterfeit!
Also, 100th podcast, and no one points that out? How sad. :(

No Justin = No Baldur's gate, so I'll let that one go. Paul was there, so Star Trek Online was mentioned. And Ma'idah mentioned pizza, once, but it's enough.

I was (naively) hoping for like an all-star, every member of Escapist in the podcat for the 100th. Or like a call in situation (like the first Christmas podcast).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here