Jimquisition: Fun & Priorities

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Fun & Priorities

Grand Theft Auto V is designed to be fun, says Rockstar. Sounds like a no-brainer, but that little bit of PR buzztalk says a lot more than you may think.

Watch Video

That was 1 minute too late, you should be ashamed! :p

Did you kiss Kirby's bum at the end of that video?

I thought that you were going to talk about using 'fun' as an excuse for games. If games are looked at as art, they don't necessarily need to be fun, they just need to be engaging.

EDIT: No I'm not against fun games, my point is about using 'fun' as an excuse, or vice versa. Fun is subjective after all.

Well done Jim. You've now given publishers a detailed guide on how to PR speak their way into making people think they give a shit about us.

And none of them save the ones who mean it will ever use it ever.

Jim, since you mention The Lone Ranger for what it clearly is, have you seen the other end of the spectrum: Pacific Rim?

Grown Ups 2 it's overtaking it at the box office by the same average moviegoer that seems to hate Pacific Rim, clearly because... I don't have a fucking clue. I gave up trying to understand mankind a long time ago, I just watch you show for Halloween costume ideas, really.

Honestly, this is probably the best episode in a long while for me. Focused more on how things relate to both the consumer and developers (whilst giving the publishers the finger of course).

I like the way the intros and outros are getting stranger and crazier as the series progresses. One day you will hit a wall though, where you will have to do something so crazy it cannot be beaten.

As for the topic, I cannot say I really noticed that they kept talking about the fun factor, but then again I was watching the video thinking how much fun it is going to be to play it, so I guess the message still sunk in. I definitely agree that the similarities between movies and triple A games are beginning to become glaringly obvious, I think out of the last ten "big" games that I have played, only around three felt like the game actually had some passion put into it, a lot of the time it felt like a sequel for the sake of a sequel.

Unfortunately as long as the games sell, certain developers really won't care, they get the money and that's what matters to them. While a lot of people on gaming websites and forums will complain about the games, the fact the numbers say people still want it will ultimately sway them to stick with what they are doing.

All of this should be fairly obvious. ...unless you're an accountant I guess.

What're you doing to Kirby? Bad touch!

I just assumed they keep emphasizing fun for GTA 5 because GTA 4 was anything but fun. It was tedious and boring with the same shit controls as last gen GTA games. So it's good news that after 8 years, Rockstar has arrived at gen 7 with it's controls.

DVS BSTrD:
Did you kiss Kirby's bum at the end of that video?

Does Kirby have a "bum"?

Anyway, good show Jim. I wish a few more games would just do what they want because they think it's going to be fun, but too often they go with what they "think" is popular and will sell.

I'd be sad that games like the last Resident Evil do indeed sell, but apparently 5 million isn't enough for the people selling it, so there ya go. If it isn't working(enough for them at least), I'd wonder why they keep doing the same thing.

Thank God for you, Jim. ;D

I rather like the emergency "I didn't prepare anything so here's an interesting story" approach.

Jims' script voice is really different from his "funny thing happened to me the other day.." voice.

What's the bets the chrisitian girl comes back looking for the "actual home owner"?

canadamus_prime:

You know what they say:
There's no accounting for taste!

MovieBob made you put in the Lone Ranger bit after giving Transformers praise, didn't he?

I really didn't find GTA4 to be any fun though x_x.

I got a different vibe from what Rockstar is saying.
For me it goes something like:

"We're sorry. We're so sorry. Dear lord you were right what the hell were we thinking. Our last game was a joyless angsty mess that wouldn't let you have your own fun between missions. We promise it won't happen a- just a second, phone call."
"TEETEES"

I saw something different when I watched the GTA5 trailer and heard them banging on about fun. It sounded to me like they were saying they're going the opposite direction from 4, which was not fun. I know they were trying to tell a story and lots of people liked the game. But I didn't find it fun at all. It was a slog. And when I finished it, I never booted the game up again until the DLC had been out for over a year. And only then as a curiosity.

GTA4 left a bad taste in the mouth for me. It took away so much from previous games in the series. 5 seems to be bringing back the fun, which never should have left in the first place. If anything, "FUN" being thrown about feels most like an apology than anything.

But I hope Jim is right and that the game turns out to be great because Rockstar knows they will get the sales, and they want to say once again "Here is WHY we get the sales".

GTA V will sell like hot cakes, everyone will own at least one copy... and it still will be a financial disappointment...

Nicely put Jim. Nicely put. Hear that devs, fun!

This problem is the game industry is collapsing under it's own weight. As any market grows it reaches a point where it can be dividied into Mainstream and niche. Niche markets are considered bad ideas but keeep in mind, all markets start off as Niche... animation was a niche market at one point. Video games were a niche market.

canadamus_prime:

I've got an accounting degree, and this is obvious to me. Though I'm fine with being the exception tp the rule.

Was the story in the intro true Jim?

Oh jim.

when you get someone preaching at your door step simply state "I have something already." and smile politely.
Back on topic, i thought you did a good job this week.
And gta 4 was fun least for me. certainly more fun than san andres which was to sims like for me.

I seriously went to see the lone ranger in a half filled audience and enjoyed it. on one stormed out.. no one demanded their money back.

I guess Illinois is filled with dumb people like me.

I've heard a good way to get door to door preachers to leave you alone is tell them you're excommunicated. Sounds like it'd work.

More OT: never really thought about the difference between putting something in there to sell a game... always kinda rolled with the assumption that fun was supposed to be the selling point.

She said they accept British pounds?

I think she was just calling your bluff.

Jimothy Sterling:
Fun & Priorities

Grand Theft Auto V is designed to be fun, says Rockstar. Sounds like a no-brainer, but that little bit of PR buzztalk says a lot more than you may think.

Watch Video

So I can't stop myself from asking any longer:

What is it with the shrimp you put in every video? I can't make any kind of sense out of it, save that, from the audio context, it's some kind of "THIS SHIT IS BAD" visual flag. Is there anything more to it, or did you just decide one day that prawns were evil and would be used to represent evil forevermore?

Really Jim? You didn't share the Gospel of Jim with that poor misguided woman? You are just going to let her worship the false shepherd?

I joke but seriously the use of the word fun is of no significance at all. This is basically a PR guy sitting in the back crunching numbers saying "Streamlined" doesn't fair well with audiences. We would do better to replace the word with fun, that has tested much better.

It is not uncommon for PR people to literally mandate the disuse or the use of a word simply because of the effect it will have. It seems Jim bit the bait hook line and sinker and made an entire episode praising the PR guy's smart move playing straight into his hand.

Fun is just another word for streamlined until the final product gets released and we can see for ourselves.

Magog1:

I guess Illinois is filled with dumb people like me.

Having a different subjective judgement than others is fine, but this is nerd culture so you're going to get a lot of people ready to counter with in-depth descriptions of why something didn't work for them. GTA4, for example was relatively humorless, slow, controlled really wonky for its time, and is forever compared to Saints Row Two. SR2 had a lot of pot humor, wacky side-missions, and was still grounded in drama (the Brotherhood in particular was a sickening escalation of revenge).

But no, you're not dumb for liking anything, unless it's drinking bleach.
edit- or Dominos pizza. seriously.

Agayek:

Jimothy Sterling:
Fun & Priorities

Watch Video

So I can't stop myself from asking any longer:

What is it with the shrimp you put in every video? I can't make any kind of sense out of it, save that, from the audio context, it's some kind of "THIS SHIT IS BAD" visual flag. Is there anything more to it, or did you just decide one day that prawns were evil and would be used to represent evil forevermore?

The what in my videos?

karma9308:

canadamus_prime:

I've got an accounting degree, and this is obvious to me. Though I'm fine with being the exception tp the rule.

Was the story in the intro true Jim?

Well maybe just brain dead corporate executives then.

My problem is that Rockstar is know for making games that are...how shall I put it? Not fun? Maybe that's too obvious...

Point is, I don't for a second trust Rockstar's saying 'No trust us, online play will make the game fun!" is any different that "No trust us, Dead Space 3 will appeal to a wider audience." As far as i can tell, every bad choice made in AAA gaming, Rockstar is also making. The only difference is Rockstar has as gall to call them 'fun', where as EA is a least honest that they just want more money. It sounds like Rockstar knows its game wont sell well, that its already failed to appeal to a larger audience and it now covering its ass so when sales are dismal, they can say "Oh, I guess people don't like fun. Did we establish that? Our games are fun!"
Its all very corporate and transparent. Jim usually would call them out, saying 'Who cares if YOU think your game looks fun? Prove to us, the gamers, that its fun! Prove to US that adding online play is fun rather than just telling us this is what fun looks like and if we don't buy it, well I guess we don't like fun."

T3hSource:
I thought that you were going to talk about using 'fun' as an excuse for games. If games are looked at as art, they don't necessarily need to be fun, they just need to be engaging.

EDIT: No I'm not against fun games, my point is about using 'fun' as an excuse, or vice versa. Fun is subjective after all.

this is kinda what you sound like

Yes fun might be subjective, but so is everything else in a game. Calling "fun" an excuse would be silly because fun things are fun.

of course is the things marketed as fun isn't fun at all then that's a whole other issue.

AC10:
I really didn't find GTA4 to be any fun though x_x.

Because it doesn't appeal to you, see, see what I did, DID YOU ALL SEE WHAT I DID!? I'm so smart...

Going from GTA:SA to GTA 4 was, what I felt at least, a step backwards. Now with three main characters, a large open world that is open at the start, and new side activities and ways to spend money other than to buy guns, this is starting to look like a major evolution for the series.

TheMemoman:
Jim, since you mention The Lone Ranger for what it clearly is, have you seen the other end of the spectrum: Pacific Rim?

Grown Ups 2 it's overtaking it at the box office by the same average moviegoer that seems to hate Pacific Rim, clearly because... I don't have a fucking clue. I gave up trying to understand mankind a long time ago, I just watch you show for Halloween costume ideas, really.

I figure it has fallen victim to Michael Bay's Transformers movies. Those movies were all successful, and varying degrees of unpleasant. That is the trouble with soulless cash-ins that work, they tend to ruin the market for the very things they are cashing in on.

That's funny - I was watching the GTA5 video thinking "Ooh, that looks fun. And that. That looks fun too. I am now interested in this game." THAT'S why! They put the surbliminers in my advertising - I've been had! Damned Rockstar.

I was also confused by the intro story, in that I thought the direction it was going to take was that Jim would open the door and the lady would go "Oh my God! I mean Oh my Jim!" and then give him all the monies she'd previously been collecting. After all, if you're collecting for your church you're collecting for Jim.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here