Σειρῆνες Seirēnes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

V8 Ninja:

Quicksilver_Phoenix:

Genericjim101:
Is that a Ken Ashcorp "Rival" reference in the tagline?

Exactly what I thought too!

Yeah, looking at that tagline several times the only thing I can think of is Ken Ashcorp.

Captcha: "face the music". Appropriate, Captcha.

Not just me, good. I really like his latest song about Tharja from Fire Emblem : D.

I almost fell into the Steam Sale trap by convincing myself to buy games cheap now ready for getting a gaming PC for Christmas D :.

Mike Kayatta:
No Man can avoid such classic humor.

Sorry couldn't resist lol.

OT: I do not have the money for the PC gaming, let alone to upgrade my computer in order to run those games. Heck, my PC couldn't even run a Demo if it wanted to (trust me, I tried... *sigh*) So I stick with console gaming. But those sales are irresistible for all men and women of the gaming industry.

I've only recently started playing more games on the computer and using Steam (Civ V was my gateway drug) - and with GMG's recent week long sale and now this, I'm basically building a library of all the computer exclusive/optimized games I care for, because I know I'll get them eventually, so I might as well get them when they're on sale. As for not buying the damn things, I don't usually spend my money at all, I just save it, buy new releases, books (increasingly second hand), and food - so I feel justified in buying something I want.

I've held out and not bought a thing from the summer sale! Praise me...*sees the sales and reaches for wallet, only to slap hand*
No, LP stuff first, fun later...

This one's about the Steam Sale? I thought it describes how I react near GameStop's used games section.

Grey Carter:
Σειρῆνες Seirēnes

The great challenge.

Read Full Article

Yeah, I guess using Greek letters in the title and page name was a challenge.

Stryc9:
I find the best way to avoid buying tons of games on Steam sales is to just not have any money to spend on games, though that really didn't stop me. I still bought the new Penny Arcade RPG for $2.50 but that's going to be all because I don't get paid until the 7th of next month.

Goddamn it! Now I bought the Penny Arcade RPG 3+4 bundle!

So far I've gotten

Half-Life 2 episode 2 for €1.74
Antichamber for €6.45
Surgeon Simulator for €3.39
XCOM DLC for €2.72
Deus Ex HR + DLC for €5.73
Mirror's Edge for €2.99
Trine 2 story upgrade for €0.89
Medieval 2: Total War for €3.49
Penny Arcade RPG 3+4 for €5.99

33 euros... when the thing started I told myself 10 at the very most...

I'm a 23 year old gamer from India. I've been a pc gamer since I got my first computer at age 15. Till the start of this steam sale, I had bought only 2 games in my entire life. One was a obscure title called mythical warriors that I got hunting the bargain bin at a local gift shop and the other is the original Mafia. Apart from these two all the other games I've ever played in my life were all downloads from pirate bay or got them on plain discs from friends.
When I turned 21 and graduated I tried my hand at game development and managed to create a couple of flash games that I meant to put on sale on flash game license. On another one I put in ads and expected to make money off that. I worked on my home computer on the games for 2 months nonstop 12 hours a day. In the end my games on flash game license did not sell and I made a total of 7$ from ads on another one . That was my first experience in the world of game development. And that was the first time I developed a sense of respect for game developers around the world. It made me realise the need to support developers and the industry because it's really easy to get discouraged when you don't get paid for your work.

I work in enterprise software development now. Earning money for the last year . This summer sale I had decided to just get rid of all pirated games I had lying around on discs or on my hard drive and go legit.

Spent 230$ til now and safe to say I have all the games that I have played in my life in my account now. With th e exception of Fallout 3. Which I found out was never released in India because of controversy and the entire Gta series which I'll definitely be getting before the sale is over.

TLDR : Legitimised all the pirated games I had played in my life by spending 230$

To put in some perspective. 230$ is more than half my monthly income

So far I've only bought two games in the sale, Dark Souls and Resident Evil 5, and because of me selling lots of those trading cards on the market, I've only spent $2 out of pocket.

There have been more games I might of bought, like Tomb Raider, but I'm trying to save a bit of money for Tales of Xillia.

Bindal:

elvor0:

Bindal:
So far, I had a total outcome of... ZERO! No really. I bought a DLC and a soundtrack from the money I got from those cards. And with the exception of one planned purchase (Baldur's Gate EE for 75% - I know it will come. I just don't know when), I won't spend anything, anyway.

It was on the first day of the sale I believe. Or at least it was very damn recently. But I'm sure it'll pop up either way. They always do those "most popular" sales on the last day, and I can't see why they wouldn't.

It appeard as option for a community sale, but lost against System Shock 2. It wasn't on sale yet (it was two weeks prior the Summer sale, but I didn't have the option to buy it then).

I assume, it's going to be on a Blitzdeal before it goes on a Daily one but both is possible at any time.

Ah I must've gotten it a couple of weeks ago then, didn't feel like it was that long ago, but yeah I assume it'll come up again before the end.

That was last round for me, my bank statement was slightly less happy about how much I bought. But.. you know I have enough old school and new RPG's to survive me 5 years.

So this round, I only buy a few small things.

I have a rule that I never pay more than 20$ for a game. Usually it keeps me from spending money frivolously on new titles, but now I might have to amend it.

I just got a PC last month to get into PC gaming.
About two days before the sale starts, my Hard Drive crashes.
I guess it's a good thing in a way, means I get to hang on to my money.

My mother actually managed to guilted me out of buying Bioshock Infinite in favor of going to the store to buy it or not buy it at all.

And it was 50% off.

I know the feeling, I already bought bioshock infinite and shogun 2 total war fall of the samurai with all of its dlc, despite trying to save money so that I can buy europa universalis 4 total war rome 2 and shin megami tensei 4.

Although I guess I could buy mark of the ninja its only 3.75....somebody please help me.

Spot on, I'm seeing so many discounts on games I could get, but don't really need... only bought a copy of Borderlands 2 so far, a 4-pack my friends and I pooled together for to get some online co-op going finally (LAN's great, but only so many things you can play)

So true, but i'm so skint QQ. Will likely find some cash god help me and god help this sale :)

This is my first Steam Summer Sale as a PC gamer. I never knew... I was not ready... So many games...

I'm waiting for Dark Souls to be on better sale, and it pretty much is.

Weird and I was just hearing about this legend today. The actual legend I mean.

I literally just interrupted myself to say how funny and accurate this comic is to buy Civ 5 on community vote

NUFF SAID.

orangeapples:
This is my first Steam Summer Sale as a PC gamer. I never knew... I was not ready... So many games...

My first Steam Summer Sale too. I've spent about $25 so far and my main PC sucks (the better games I bought so I can play it on the downstairs computer, or if I get a better PC in the future). I didn't want to go in this deep but things are just...so...CHEAP! *froths at mouth*

There should be a support group for this.

Grey Carter:
Σειρῆνες Seirēnes

The great challenge.

Read Full Article

HA!! I have through my own force of will resisted and ignored the sirens call that is the steam sale!!

that, and I bought SMT 4 and that and Fire Emblem Awakening have been eating my time lately

dakkster:

Stryc9:
I find the best way to avoid buying tons of games on Steam sales is to just not have any money to spend on games, though that really didn't stop me. I still bought the new Penny Arcade RPG for $2.50 but that's going to be all because I don't get paid until the 7th of next month.

Goddamn it! Now I bought the Penny Arcade RPG 3+4 bundle!

So far I've gotten

Half-Life 2 episode 2 for €1.74
Antichamber for €6.45
Surgeon Simulator for €3.39
XCOM DLC for €2.72
Deus Ex HR + DLC for €5.73
Mirror's Edge for €2.99
Trine 2 story upgrade for €0.89
Medieval 2: Total War for €3.49
Penny Arcade RPG 3+4 for €5.99

33 euros... when the thing started I told myself 10 at the very most...

One does not simply...set a limit on such a grand experience as the Steam Summer Sale!

I told myself there was, like, one game I wanted. I have now bought....seven? Oh, dear. >_>

I tend to find your strips to be hit and miss. Some I find mildly amusing, others I don't find at all funny. This one, however, is superb.

My first real steam sale as well got a steam gift card for $20 so I wouldn't go over... and now I got 65 cents left and its going to bug me>.<

Dr. Pepper Unlimited:
One does not simply...set a limit on such a grand experience as the Steam Summer Sale!

Limit set so far (5€) and not went over it (nothing spend yet).

DaVash:
My first real steam sale as well got a steam gift card for $20 so I wouldn't go over... and now I got 65 cents left and its going to bug me>.<

and that's precisely why they sell gift cards in the first place, it's a nickel and dime practice!

That is one kawaii Ulysses.

Thankfully I don't even have Steam...

Scarim Coral:
So does those men rowing the boat don't have a steam account or not a pc gamer or something?

I am pretty sure they have wax in their ears.
You know, like in Homer's story.

A brief summary of my mindset over the last couple of weeks.

1) Hmmmm, shouldn't there be a Steam sale by now? They seem to be putting it off a little late this year...
2) Actually, I really shouldn't buy anything at the sale. I still have a lot of games I haven't played yet.
3) Twenty dollars spent already? Shitshitshit.

Popping in to share:

GTA IV (already got it on PS3, but the DLC was included, and it was like 10 bucks.)
Reus
Castle Crashers 4-pack
Civ V Gold Edition

Finally got around to getting Civ V after watching the Steam Train let's play. Watching them goof around sold me on it. Same for Castle Crashers.

So it's been a good haul so far. Slightly unfortunate that university restarts next week, but first world problems and all that.

Steam: "Buy ussss... Look at our lovely bargains... Will they ever come again? Buy us... Buy us, oh, powerful Internaut..."

Me: "Never! Mind over matter, mind over matter, mind over mattr... Mind... Ovv..."

Steam: "There, there... Come hither, with your throbbing wallet... It will all be over soon... Come hither..."

Me: "Ah-HA! Foiled, you ghastly harpies of the Valveolian Sea! My wallet is empty! You hold no power over me!"

Steam: "Then... Rob a bank. Mug someone... Lie, steal, kill... For money... It will all be ours in the end... Do it... Do it now, and we promise you, eternal joy and glory... Do whatever it takes..."

...And that is how I ended up here, Herr Judge. I had bought up about half of it before your boys found me. Help... Please.

*Recieves a Full Pardon, the judge knows our pain.*

Teoes:

DVS BSTrD:
We're GoG men damnit! ROW ONWARD!

I more of an "any port in a storm" man, myself. (Woah, that works on, like, three whole levels.)

Yeah I was gonna say.

But then you said.

So now I just nod.

I've been quite good this year and not bought myself anything. Although that could change now that I have my paycheck.
Also, I feel at liberty to post this:

Oh and this:

May be late in the game, but out of curiosity, why is the title Sirens Sirens?

Is it just a matter of having the Roman characters present in case Greek doesn't display on someone's browser?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here