Zero Punctuation: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Sounds like a lot of grinding. I thought Yahtzee hated grinding games.

OlasDAlmighty:
I remember loving the Gamecube version and playing it almost every day for nearly a year, then I ended up buying the DS version and eventually Wii version but didn't actually get around to playing either too much and sorta forgot about them. I'd go and try them out again but honestly I'm a little scared at what I might find in my wake.

Animal Crossing is really the only game I can think of that makes you feel genuinely guilty for not playing.

I feel the same, I stopped playing new Leaf because I took my vita on the go with me over my 3DS thanks to Ninja Gaiden on ps plus. Im too scared to go back. Being the mayor doesn't help that guilt either.

The last line gave me a hearty chuckle.

Now on the game at hand, I really don't get the appeal of the game. It seems like a game similar to farm ville with daily quests. Am I missing something? I'm already doing that in WoW, but out of routine and nothing else.

Now that I think about it, it seems to be using the same methods to keep people coming back; the whole "wait until tommorow" part just prolonging the game's life tremendously.

Vicioussama:
Animal Crossing has always and will always be a terrible Skinner Box game that the sheep enjoy.

I don't think you've had enough replies yet.

Actually, I think you're partly right here, but you're slightly off. Yes, Animal Crossing has multiple achievement mechanics built in, so it's as a pretty accomplished skinner's box. However, I don't think it's a terrible one because the game is actually quite laid back. You don't feel a pressing need to Get! That! Next! House! Upgrade! Right! Now!, and this makes it actually significantly less potent than something like World of Warcraft. In Animal Crossing can relax, you can take your time, the fun actually is in the journey and not getting your hands on the next McGuffin or level.

So, is it a Skinner's box? Sure.

Is it a terrible Skinner's box? In my definition, no, I've seen much worse.

Is it a terrible Skinner's box for sheeple? Well, now, was that really necessary? As a person who is generally nonconformist in mannerisms who is nonetheless playing this game, I think I'm proof enough it's not exclusively for sheeple. You probably should have listened to the friendly voice in your head that suggested maybe you've over-extrapolated to the point where you're being a bit of a jerk now before you hit the submit button, instead of telling everybody who read this thread who also plays Animal Crossing that they're sheeple.

I've never played the game myself, personally. Heck, I didn't even know how popular the game was until I was at an event and saw a large group of people huddled around in a corner with their faces glued to their 3DS screens checking the prices of their turnips for the day. I wish I was kidding. A friend of mine tried to explain the game to me, but I didn't find it all that exciting. However, the game seems infectious for whatever reason but I'll avoid it as it doesn't catch my interest. Still, I'd show great concern if Animal Crossing players walked around chanting "One of Us"

wasneeplus:
The Bends is a great album, isn't it?

I have to say it, I don't know why it gets so much praise. Most songs from it are above average alt-rock songs, nothing too spectacular. Kid A is the great one.

On topic: I'm waiting for some more retrospectives, hopefully we'll get some more soon enough.

All I got from this is that I'm better off giving The Sims 3 another go. Same unexplainably addictive qualities, zero time constraints.

Plus ALL THE EXPANSHUNS! I TOTALLY WANT 3D MODELS APPROVED BY KATY PERRY!

Blah, fuck EA. Seriously.

New leaf. You bought new leaf. After saying that Pokemon was for mad people. And writing THIS.

Criticizing a game for collection, and getting another that does collection, in a bigger way, where the collection has no context.

You confuse me sometimes, Croshaw.

Yahtzee! Why would you rip that dogs head off? D:

mew4ever23:
New leaf. You bought new leaf. After saying that Pokemon was for mad people. And writing THIS.

Criticizing a game for collection, and getting another that does collection, in a bigger way, where the collection has no context.

...reviewing is his job, you know. This game is very, very popular, so it makes sense that he would review it. We may never know if he would have brought it for himself.

And you don't always need context to produce a fun experience. Most of the time you just need a feeling of accomplishment...and sometimes not even that, if the collecting is fun and rewarding in it's own little way.

This was actually much less restrained than I expected. It could've gone much, much worse.

sooo, basically you are a Yeerk Controller?

So Yahtzee, you are the new number 7. What happened to the old number 7, you ask? You are the new number 7.

Ah, furthering my sentiment that Nintendo is most relevant in the handheld market (as opposed to the console market) if even Yahtzee has good things to say about Nintendo products there.

Ashcrexl:
sooo, basically you are a Yeerk Controller?

You went Animorphs on us? Interesting.

FallenMessiah88:
So, you don't play Animal Crossing? Animal Crossing plays you?

This is not really my type of game. It seems like the older AC games were more fitting more me. I'd rather be some random dude just minding his own business than a random dude who has to look after everyone else's business.

[insert "Een Soviet Russia" joke here]

It's not a game for everybody. But like Jim (and THANK GOD for him) says, that's the trouble these days... every game tries to be for everybody.

BloodFlower:

carpathic:
There is something to say to the idea that our obligations are what keep us going in the end. I've never played the game, but it is a curious way to start and almost has grabbed my attention.

Wonder if it comes for Wii?

It already exist an Animal Crossing game for the wii called Animal Crossing City Folk(US)/Let's Go To The City(EU)

Good to know. perhaps I'll pick it up. Thank you for the hot tip!

Vicioussama:
It's so hypocritically amusing that the terrible mods give ME a warning when you people have been just as insulting this entire time. Isn't that funny? God they need to stop giving kids on the internet power.

That's right, mods, you suck.

A quote from the almighty Escapist Code of Conduct.

Flaming
Calling people names (or groups who may visit The Escapist), this includes calling others a troll

Your original statement: Animal Crossing has always and will always be a terrible Skinner Box game that the sheep enjoy.

You called a group of people who happen to like Animal Crossing (whether they are new fans or not) sheep for liking the game.
You than further reason that they are sheep because they only bought the game because everyone else did.
What you fail to understand is that this is something called word-of-mouth at play. When X amount of people in your social circle internet or real life wise say Y game is awesome, then you are inclined to try out said game to see what all the fuss is about.
Considering how most people on this forum Yahtzee included stated that the game is crazy addictive and not bad implies that those same people who bought the games because their friends talk about it all the time LIKED the game enough to not only keep it, but recommend it to their other friends as well.

That isn't the case for everyone on this thread though.
Others are not interested in those kinds of games.
Some don't want to get drawn in and addicted again like they have in the past so they keep away from it.
Few have played the games and saw no reason for it's addictiveness or fun.

If I were to say that everyone who didn't like or play Animal Crossing were a bunch of dudebro duds that only like CoD and Madden I would get equally negative responses and a warning for my comment.

On that note picture only posts are against the CoC here on Escapist and depending on whoever it is browsing this thread may or may not hit the report button and they will probably receive a warning as well.

But pal you are digging yourself into an even deeper whole by going out of your way to call the mods idiots, and is a surefire way to find either your health meter skyrocket or a suspension/ban.

Another hilarious hit from Yahtzee! I love it when he uses C++ code lines in jokes, but that's because I'm an engineer, so it's like catching a programming or math joke on Futurama. I also like how "Higher-brain Function" Yahtzee looks more like how he does in real life. On the subject of that "Raccoon Mafia", did you read that one PvP strip from a week ago, too?

I loved the Radiohead reference. "Just" actually won me over, not "Creep."

Loved the line about the NPCs being faffing about workaholics.

Pinkscare:
I loved the Radiohead reference. "Just" actually won me over, not "Creep."

For me it was Amnesiac... and the Pyramid Song. I went out to buy the album, and ended up with that little red book. It was as if Mao had done LSD, Mescaline and Speed. I liked it. I soaked the little red book in milk, gave it cookies when it was hungry. I put it with the rats and the cockroaches. I used it as a coaster. I kept losing it, on purpose, for a decade. It always came back.

That's the one Radiohead album I love. You can tell it almost killed people, it radiates negativity like a real-world Necronomicon. And yet... you can use it to make people cry. Just let them smoke their weed and do their thing on your sofa. Let them tell you about what they've seen, heard and learned so far. Then, when they are at their most vulnerable, when they are too tired to just jump up and run out, bombard their senses with Amnesiac. Next best thing to tricyclic antidepressants and a well deserved spanking of the soul.

I use it as a coffee mug coaster now. I only open it to add antiquarian Christian bookmarks and Nazi stamps to it.

Slightly OT, but does Yahtzee not like Nintendo? He trashes the Wii, the Wii U, and the 3DS on a lot of occasions. Though, his Conduit review implied that he liked the GameCube and the DS.

Somebody already brought up the fullyramblomatic review, which was a slight giveaway that Yahtzee would not be so anti-Animal Crossing. Also, in the Luigi's Mansion review, he brought up the obsessive compulsive tendency, which is ideal for Animal Crossing.

Vicioussama:
It's so hypocritically amusing that the terrible mods give ME a warning when you people have been just as insulting this entire time. Isn't that funny? God they need to stop giving kids on the internet power.

Oh yeah, that's a good idea. Insult the mods.

Also, I have an xkcd link for you:

http://xkcd.com/610/

But I'm glad you've gotten so much ire from the community. And yet you've still attempted to defend yourself. Cut your losses and move on. You don't have to reply to these quotes - just read them and reflect.

Anthrocon 2013 was positively rife with New Leaf players, a huge chunk of what everyone I streetpassed was playing.

As for me... well here, let me just paste what I typed on FurAffinity:

At first I liked it on Gamecube, and I played Wild World, but that's where it ended for me. It's a game that essentially punishes you for not playing; you don't want weeds springing up, you don't want your favorite neighbors moving away, and you think this'd all be fixed by resetting everything, but then you lose any collection you've had in furniture and you don't wanna lose it all.

When I play a game, take a months-long break from it, and then start playing it again, I want it to say "Welcome Back", not "Fuck You! Now here's all the work you need to do to make up for not playing!" Fuck that.
In my experience, I still had my old town file on my GCN Memory Card, and tried playing it again after multiple years of not playing, and went to do that "ghost hunt" game where, if you find it enough times, picks all the weeds in your town for you (which occupied every spare inch I could find), and after about an hour of wasting my time looking through the village, found it. Then my game froze. I reloaded my save, to find all the weeds still there.

Never again.

Also, the "animal voices" in the localized versions are a by-product of trying to mimic Japanese syllabaries, but ultimately failing. In Japanese, you spell out words as much as you say them; the word "hiragana" would be spelled "hi ra ga na", and pronounced "hi ra ga na", making all the villagers you encounter literally talk to you in Japanese, not in the weird "animalese" of the English Animal Crossing releases; "Potato" is not pronounced "pee oh tee ayy tee oh", it's "Po tay to". In the end, it's the Japanese version that's culturally superior anyway.

Oh, and finally, it didn't start on Gamecube. It started on N64:

"Animal Crossing doesn't end and cannot be won" - that's back of the box material!

mew4ever23:

To be fair he can afford to spend money on stuff he knows he won't like.

And besides, if Yahtzee only bought and reviewed games he liked, then we wouldn't have many videos to watch...

Dragonbums:

Vicioussama:

Flaming
Calling people names (or groups who may visit The Escapist), this includes calling others a troll

Your original statement: Animal Crossing has always and will always be a terrible Skinner Box game that the sheep enjoy.

You called a group of people who happen to like Animal Crossing (whether they are new fans or not) sheep for liking the game.
You than further reason that they are sheep because they only bought the game because everyone else did.
What you fail to understand is that this is something called word-of-mouth at play. When X amount of people in your social circle internet or real life wise say Y game is awesome, then you are inclined to try out said game to see what all the fuss is about.
Considering how most people on this forum Yahtzee included stated that the game is crazy addictive and not bad implies that those same people who bought the games because their friends talk about it all the time LIKED the game enough to not only keep it, but recommend it to their other friends as well.

Some don't want to get drawn in and addicted again like they have in the past so they keep away from it.

If I were to say that everyone who didn't like or play Animal Crossing were a bunch of dudebro duds that only like CoD and Madden I would get equally negative responses and a warning for my comment.

On that note picture only posts are against the CoC here on Escapist and depending on whoever it is browsing this thread may or may not hit the report button and they will probably receive a warning as well.

But pal you are digging yourself into an even deeper whole by going out of your way to call the mods idiots, and is a surefire way to find either your health meter skyrocket or a suspension/ban.

So should I just sit and let mods abuse their powers? Ya no. Bad moderation should be called out and it should be called out in public.

And I didn't attack any person when I posted my first post, I just said it appeals to people who are sheep because of the very skinner box nature. If you take offense to that, that's your issue, not mine. It's like calling a girl who has sex casually frequently with many people a slut, it's the definition of the word and they are what they are. If she takes offense, that's on her.

Vicioussama:

Dragonbums:

Vicioussama:

Flaming

So should I just sit and let mods abuse their powers? Ya no. Bad moderation should be called out and it should be called out in public.

And I didn't attack any person when I posted my first post, I just said it appeals to people who are sheep because of the very skinner box nature. If you take offense to that, that's your issue, not mine. It's like calling a girl who has sex casually frequently with many people a slut, it's the definition of the word and they are what they are. If she takes offense, that's on her.

They are not abusing their power. What they did was perfectly within the rules of the CoC. And considering how one of the people who "insulted" you also got a warning I would go as far as to say that whoever is in charge of this thread is fair enough.
Once again, people who like Animal Crossing are not sheep. Regardless if it's a "skinner box game" or not. It's a very light weight, casual game for people to pass their time away. You are not calling it "like it is" you are insulting people for liking a game you find no interest in.
What does that make people who like Elder Scrolls? Are they sheep?
Or the people who like Mass Effect? Are they sheep?
Or perhaps Bioshock Infinite; are those people sheep as well?
It seems that who you deem as "sheep" only applies to games you don't like.
Hence why you received a warning.
Considering though how you have multiple warnings on this thread already- keep it up. It will be horribly embarrassing to find yourself in a suspension because you continued to dig yourself into a deep hole over a single thread about a Nintendo game.
On the flipside, a girl who sleeps causally with men is called a slut.
However a man who does the same thing is called a "winner" or rather, they are hardly looked down on as much as a woman. Double standard much?
Does the woman not "win" because she is as promiscuous as her male counterparts? What does that say to the men who are players? In order for them to bang pussy all the time, they have to find women who are just as desirable for sex as they are. Unless of course they want to go the route of sexual assault.
That however is something way off topic here.

Good review Yahtzee. I've never really been into these games. Tried playing Animal Crossing on the n64 but it was pretty boring in all regards though I can see why people like it.

That first hypothetical made me remember Animorphs. I thought those books were awesome.

So Yahtzee doesn't really seem to get Animal Crossing at all...if you try to beat it you will end up hating it, you don't beat Animal Crossing, you enjoy it, over time.

You visit it now and again, you leisure through the game just like you leisure through the gamplay itself. You don't HAVE to do anything, even pay debts, and that is the beauty of the game.

Also, Animal Crossing is adorable, funny, and at some moments oddly touching. Taking a midnight boat over to the island while Kapp'n sings a goofy song just got to me for some reason. I love Animal Crossing.

Dragonbums:
They are not abusing their power. What they did was perfectly within the rules of the CoC. And considering how one of the people who "insulted" you also got a warning I would go as far as to say that whoever is in charge of this thread is fair enough.
Once again, people who like Animal Crossing are not sheep. Regardless if it's a "skinner box game" or not. It's a very light weight, casual game for people to pass their time away. You are not calling it "like it is" you are insulting people for liking a game you find no interest in.
What does that make people who like Elder Scrolls? Are they sheep?
Or the people who like Mass Effect? Are they sheep?
Or perhaps Bioshock Infinite; are those people sheep as well?
It seems that who you deem as "sheep" only applies to games you don't like.
Hence why you received a warning.
Considering though how you have multiple warnings on this thread already- keep it up. It will be horribly embarrassing to find yourself in a suspension because you continued to dig yourself into a deep hole over a single thread about a Nintendo game.
On the flipside, a girl who sleeps causally with men is called a slut.
However a man who does the same thing is called a "winner" or rather, they are hardly looked down on as much as a woman. Double standard much?
Does the woman not "win" because she is as promiscuous as her male counterparts? What does that say to the men who are players? In order for them to bang pussy all the time, they have to find women who are just as desirable for sex as they are. Unless of course they want to go the route of sexual assault.
That however is something way off topic here.

When I first came back the other people who HAD been insulting directly to me had not been given a warning. Perhaps me coming back and pointing out the abuse lead the mod or another mod to realize "ya, both are in the wrong" and warned both.

As for the various games, depends why they enjoy the game. If you like anything just cause the herd does, then you are a sheep. Don't like it? Deal with it. Just how it is.

As for the slut bit, I never said a guy who's a slut is a 'winner' that was your own interpretation. I don't think that way at all. I don't think either is a winner or a loser. Just how they are.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here