EXP: GamerHub - Xbox One New Kinect Hands-On Demo

GamerHub - Xbox One New Kinect Hands-On Demo

Interested in seeing how the new Kinect works?

Watch Video

I have to say, that's actually kind of interesting. I'm not even remotely interested in the Xbox One, but the fact that they're pushing ahead with this sort of technology is pretty nice.

Cool piece of kit, certainly interested if/when I buy an Xbox one down the line but I'm still a little worried how much of that info will be used for my enjoyment and how much will be used for marketing metrics.

It's fine that they want to make these kind of improvements but I still have zero interest in owning a Kinect and the fact that I have to have one for the entire machine to even function is a serious deal-breaker.

Sure, it's got a high resolution camera, it can see in the dark and senses in much more detail but that has absolutely no effect on how I play my games.

It's a nice piece of tech, but at the end of the day I just don't feel that it's gone to add anything I'd want in my gaming experience.

Maybe the casual people will come towards it, but at 500$ I don't know.

Anyway, I don't see this improving games, but rather making them more gimmicky and obnoxious.

NiPah:
Cool piece of kit, certainly interested if/when I buy an Xbox one down the line but I'm still a little worried how much of that info will be used for my enjoyment and how much will be used for marketing metrics.

I imagine quite a bit of it. Microsoft pretty much said they built this console with advertisements in mind.

They discussed how they wanted to use it to see what you watched/see if you're watching adds so they can make more adds focused towards you.

This is interesting tech, I think this has more potential for making games then playing them though.

The tech looks amazing, makes me actually want a Xbox One, looks far more accurate then the original Kinect. However, I am a bit nervous of the amount of info there, I really want the Kinect not to be always plugged in as it is rather a lot of information taken from it just being on standby.
Call me paranoid but the amount of info that it take just looks like too much

I was concerned about how it would recognize when you're giving commands and when you're telling your friend how to turn off the Xbox.

I guess that works.

Fantastic technology... but why on earth would I want that in a games console? I guess stuff like heart-rate measurement could be interesting, but most of it I feel will still be too temperamental to rely on in a game, where a split second command is the difference between success and failure.

This still looks really appealing to me, especially as someone who earnestly tried to use the Xbox for exercise. There are really only two things that bothered me: the "Happy/Neutral" measurement seems purely tied to giving feedback to advertisers, as I can't seem to think of a user-related function for it (maybe I can make sure to scowl every time an ad shows up), and the skeleton demonstration showed that there's still the problem of "crazy legs" sometimes.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here