Movie Defense Force: Brainscan

Brainscan

What happens when you're a filmmaker in the mid 90's where virtual reality is supposedly right around the corner? You make Brainscan, a comedy horror about a haunted videogame!

Watch Video

Man, I'd never even heard of this movie but it looks hilariously awesome.
I'm totally going to look for it.

Wow Jim. You really think Trickster belongs on the same list as Jason Voorhees? Those are bold words my friend.

I vaguely recall seeing this movie once, and like you I'm all about enjoying a delicious helping of "bad movie" upon occasion. But Jason level? I would respectfully disagree, no matter how good the actor playing the role might be.

I don't mean any offense of course. It's always enjoyable to hear about a differing opinion. But I'm too much of a Jason fanboy to let that one go without chiming in. ;)

Huh. I just looked up T. Ryder Smith, and he is not who I thought he was from looking at him (after trying to correct for all that makeup and prosthetics, my best guess was the guy who played the evil warlock/drug dealer from Buffy the Vampire Slayer).

I wondered if the kid from Small Solders had done anything else.

I've always loved this movie! One of my childhood faves. Glad to see it getting some attention :D

daxterx2005:
Man, I'd never even heard of this movie but it looks hilariously awesome.
I'm totally going to look for it.

Same here, Trickster sounds like my favorite type of antagonist. Thanks for talking about this movie.

I actually remember seeing this one on cable television late one night. I don't think I'd pay to see it, but... I do remember finding it surprisingly enjoyable. It had a certain cleverness, some better-than-required performances, and didn't seem to think the audience or its characters had to be complete idiots.

Sounds like Drop Dead Fred...only, you know...actually enjoyable on some levels...and your imaginary friend makes you kill people rather than just act like a socially inept asshole. :3

Oh, that's another movie you should look into, Jim. I DARE you to try and defend Drop Dead Fred! :P

Wow, I saw this on TV a few years ago and I thought it was a 80's B movie. That's how bad this movie is. And if you think this movie is bad, imagine you were a computer programmer and understand exactly how and why the entire premise is ridiculously, insanely, impossible.

I didn't even recognize this film until I saw some of the footage then I remembered seeing parts of it, never saw the whole thing though.

I'm sure if we checked the inter-web records the number of people torrenting Brainscan has gone up 1000% since this ep aired // Sadly this is one of those films that I have not seen

-M

I was watching Maximum Overdrive the other day and I noticed after googling it for no real reason it has rather low review scores care to defend it :D?

Several years ago I was in a secondhand book store and while looking through a shelf of VHS tapes I found a copy of Brainscan for $.50. I don't know if I'd put a dollar amount on how much that movie is worth... but its well worth more than fifty cents. I am indeed a proud owner of this product of the 90's. But have to dig out a VCR to actually play it. Thanks Jim, now I have to remember where all my coaxial cable is.

Just so we're clear; JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Dio or Ronnie James Dio?

I actually think Ed Furlong is a decent enough actor...although his attractiveness certainly colours my view.

Nydestroyer:
I was watching Maximum Overdrive the other day and I noticed after googling it for no real reason it has rather low review scores care to defend it :D?

This is one of my major problems with movie defense force LOL.

I like these "so called" bad movies. I'd take brain scan over there be blood or no country for old men any day of the week.

I don't think i ever say though the whole thing cause it was always on late when i was watching it, but i remember liking it.

And Jim... did you just put down eddie furlong after putting over that labuff kid from transformers? G.F.Y. with all due respect ^^.

good episode Jim. I was just wondering if you were gonna keep doing these, thank you.

I have the soundtrack to this movie buried somewhere. I've only see the movie once but I recall everyone I watched it with really enjoying it...myself included. I'm digging MDF but 90% of the movies so far are ones I've seen and liked.

Wooot. Finally a movie i havent seen yet. Will definitely add it to my list of movies to get.

Ohlookit'sMatty:
I'm sure if we checked the inter-web records the number of people torrenting Brainscan has gone up 1000% since this ep aired

sorry, our logs show nothing, you will nto get your ISK back.
wait, wrong game.
even if every person who saw this video went to torrent it, it would probably hardly put a dent into torrent network. this particular movie may double perhaps, but doubtful.

Oh my God! It's been a dog's age since I saw Brainscan. I remembering watching this on my VCR and finding it rather enjoyable in a over-the-top camp horror manner. Trickster was a great character and finding out that T. Ryder Smith plays Baron Ünterbheit on Venture Brothers is awesome. If I ever run into him one day, I will thank him from the bottom of my heart. Thanks, Jim.

I'm sold just because of Primus. Love Primus!

Finally Jim gets one right! It's a pity he didn't go as in-depth on this one as all the other episodes he got so wrong. It just kind of stopped short, almost as if he just uploaded the introduction to the video.

This film looks REALLY enjoyable. I'm going to have to try to find a copy.

A true challenge would be defending the 2006 remake: "StayAlive"

Wait, I was supposed to hate this movie?

Shit.

Ahhhhhhhh, a movie from the 90's about VR that I haven't seen yet ? Thank god for Jim \o/

I just watched the Big Picture episodes about Irony and "The '90's Sucked!", so it was cool to add this one to make a thematic triple-feature. And there needs to be some more Venture Brothers love here!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here