Escapist News Now: KOTOR Devs Working on New Bioware IP

Pages 1 2 NEXT

KOTOR Devs Working on New Bioware IP

Bioware's new game will be backed by some of the developer's most experienced staffers.

Watch Video

I'm still very much a bioware fanboy so color me excited.

Well if its not KOTOR 3 i shall be sending a very strongly worded letter to Bioware telling them of my feelings on this matter...or i'll just grumble to myself. It's not like they listen to us mere mortals now is it?

Personally I want a kotor 1 and 2 bundle to come out for 360

It's not "Bioware" anymore. Bioware is dead. It's "EA: Bioware" now, when all the disappointements started really happening.

Don't hold your breath over tainted developers. They're allowed to keep their name until they stop being of use, then EA shuts their doors like all the rest.

Please let it be something like Kotor but with a combat system that isn't like a broken boring MMO...

No. BioWare pooped all over every inch of trust and loyalty they built with me when they vomited out the end of ME3. I am serious, pathetic or not, when I say the end of ME3 was so bad; is so bad, always will be so bad, that I have gone from a 25+ hours week gamer to < 5. Since moving to my current apartment I have not played my Xbox at all. My PC is still in boxes. Stuffed in my closet. My PS3 only sees the light of day because of Netflix and the rare game session with my brother, who's in the military.
EA has ruined BioWare, and every single other studio/game/franchise they have ever touched. I refuse to give them even one single dollar more. Even IF this manged to be an actually attractive title, (i.e. a true KotOR III game) ME3 was bad enough that I have not been able to get back into gaming. I will have no problem not pre-ordering. And I will proudly laugh hysterically and send a big fat pretty birdy in EA's general direction when I walk into GameStop and buy the PreOwned version that they don't see penny from. And I will savor every second of it.

**On the up-side I definitely give them credit for the 35lbs lost and greatly increased social interaction that has only happened because EA made it so stupidly easy to give up on and hate gaming.**

I'm totally with BioWare, so paint me excited.
By "New IP" do they mean something that Bioware haven't worked on before, or does it mean, well, a NEW IP?

Hopefully we won't get another ME3 ending... that was so bad for so many reasons both IG and meta. Here's to hoping EA has given up on finding new and interesting ways to fuck gamers and ruin this industry.

*insert squee sound*

Yeah; I'm excited. KOTOR, Dragon Age, ME 1 through 3; I loved all of them (Side Note: Yes I like ME3 so shush). I honestly can't wait to find out what it is. Personally, I'm hoping for another futuristic adventure, but not-necessarily in space (I'd love to see Bioware try something cyberpunk)

Well if Casey Hudson is involved, I wont be holding my breath. That guy is fucking poison for game development.

I can guarantee you that the game wont be worth preordering. But I am willing to give it a shot if, against all odds, it turns out to be good.

Oh and expect shoehordned in multiplayer due to EAs not greenlighting anything without a multiplayer focus anymore.

I will definitely keep an eye open to see what they can come up next, especially since it's a new IP.

I enjoyed all their titles that they have released albeit a little less to some of them (like ME3 ending and DA2). Aside from that they have a good record with me when it comes to their games.

I'll keep an eye out, sure, but with due caution. ME2, ME3 and DA2 have turned out to be major disappointments for me, the days of preordering Bioware games are long gone.

I am looking forward to this, however after the appalling Mass Effect 3 ending, they really need to take there time on this one. EA also needs to not pressure them with time deadlines and let Bioware focus at turning out a potential great game.

Oh and maybe let a few fans in on how they are going to end it as they will poke all the holes with the story and possibly help make a better ending. Either that or fan-fiction will worked in at some point and ruin the whole thing

This would have excitd me years ago, now I am on the border of "Meh" and upset. They are not just making a new IP they are making a potential committee designed and approved tripe A franchise, that will most likely be a failure. Bioware is no longer Bioware it is "EA North Studios" If it wasn't because of the brand that is Bioware thats what they would be called.

between da2 and me3 bioware have burned alot of bridges but eventually fixing the ending and the citadel dlc showed they do have some talent and that bioware magic left. ill however be waiting till way after release and reviews to see if i pick either this or da3 up

The obvious answer is that this is likely to be the rumoured-at next Mass Effect game. I liked most of Mass Effect 3, except of course the pre-DLC ending. I just hope that whatever game this is, it's not something built to draw in the Halo crowd, but actually will be a good game.
And not a bloody MMO.

Desert Punk:
Well if Casey Hudson is involved, I wont be holding my breath. That guy is fucking poison for game development.

I can guarantee you that the game wont be worth preordering. But I am willing to give it a shot if, against all odds, it turns out to be good.

Oh and expect shoehordned in multiplayer due to EAs not greenlighting anything without a multiplayer focus anymore.

Pros and Cons of this type of comment

Cons:

-It's funny we give some flack to the guy who was game director to Jade Empire and KOTOR because he made one disappointing game and one great game with a very horrible ending. (Although, it all depends on your definition of "great"). Still, this is the Internet. It doesn't judge you on your merits, but only on the last bad stuff that you did. It's true that Mr. Hudson however did only pour some oil into the flamewar after Mass effect 3

-The multiplayer of Mass effect 3 is one I find very interesting. Sure, it's not the focus of Mass effect 3. It's still a fun diversion and Bioware introduced new "classes" in which I'm hoping we will see in future instalments. However, that's the tragedy of having some sort of multiplayer in a singleplayer focused game. Every little fault from the developers, most of the time, will be blamed on the multiplayer being there instead of focusing 100% on the main singleplayer content. That's despite the fact that the multiplayer works with the theme of the game which was this whole effort of collaboration between races and people.

Pros:

I'll throw this type of comment a bone because A. It needed one and B. Despite, what I've said, there's still issues that the enraged fanbase was right on. To be more exact, the conclusion of this type of franchise was lacking. I recognized that there's flaws with the game and not just the ending. I know the perspective of being disappointed after this whole ideal. It's ok to be pissed.

Although, I'll give the guy, who I've been directly quoting for this comment, another bone. You seem to have learn the moral of this whole ideal. "I'll see if it's good when it comes out. If it's good, then good on me. If it's bad, I can move on to better things". At least, I hope this is was what you meant. If so, then you get two thumbs up...and a permission for a cookie.

Random Argument Man:

Desert Punk:

Pros and Cons of this type of comment

Cons:

-It's funny we give some flack to the guy who was game director to Jade Empire and KOTOR because he made one disappointing game and one great game with a very horrible ending. (Although, it all depends on your definition of "great"). Still, this is the Internet. It doesn't judge you on your merits, but only on the last bad stuff that you did. It's true that Mr. Hudson however did only pour some oil into the flamewar after Mass effect 3

-The multiplayer of Mass effect 3 is one I find very interesting. Sure, it's not the focus of Mass effect 3. It's still a fun diversion and Bioware introduced new "classes" in which I'm hoping we will see in future instalments. However, that's the tragedy of having some sort of multiplayer in a singleplayer focused game. Every little fault from the developers, most of the time, will be blamed on the multiplayer being there instead of focusing 100% on the main singleplayer content. That's despite the fact that the multiplayer works with the theme of the game which was this whole effort of collaboration between races and people.

Pros:

I'll throw this type of comment a bone because A. It needed one and B. Despite, what I've said, there's still issues that the enraged fanbase was right on. To be more exact, the conclusion of this type of franchise was lacking. I recognized that there's flaws with the game and not just the ending. I know the perspective of being disappointed after this whole ideal. It's ok to be pissed.

Although, I'll give the guy, who I've been directly quoting for this comment, another bone. You seem to have learn the moral of this whole ideal. "I'll see if it's good when it comes out. If it's good, then good on me. If it's bad, I can move on to better things". At least, I hope this is was what you meant. If so, then you get two thumbs up...and a permission for a cookie.

I will admit, the mans previous works were exemplary, but just like I am not one to ignore a good game just because of a few factors, which you read correctly, I will buy the game if it is good to support good trends, but I am also not one to ignore what seems to be a downward trend that is related to someones career.

And the tacked on multiplayer comment wasnt really about Casey as I will freely admit that the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer was a good way to follow their directives but, the jab was about EA in general concerning this little gem: http://www.destructoid.com/ea-boss-proudly-refuses-to-publish-single-player-games-234402.phtml

It has been a while since that little gem, but they havent done anything to refute it lately, considering SimCity and what not.

And thank you good sir, I shall savor my cookie thoroughly!

Been covered to death so I will just say there was a lot more wrong with ME3 than just the ending. It was a hollow imitator of its previous entries. DA2 abandoned just about everything that made DA good, imo. I forgive them for SWTOR because it was a case of too much ambition and not enough know how, but it was still a disappointment.

So yeah, faith is lost. They are just EA now, making products that resemble BioWare of old. Unless I hear their new stuff is awesome from someone I trust, it just isn't on the radar anymore. I would love to see them return to form, but I kind of doubt it will happen.

If I was to never buy a game again from a specific developer because of a bad ending that means I would never buy another Ubisoft (Assassin's Creed 3) or Irrational Games (BioShock: Infinite). If you want to use bad development Bethesda to me is the worst offender with many of their games still containing the same bugs and requiring the community to fix them or making a game that doesn't work on console for months after release (Skyrim). Another game company that has put out a major bad game, I would consider GearBox to be a worse offender then BioWare with their recent offerings of Duke Nukem Forever and Alien: Colonial Marines.

For some reason I don't see the hate from bloggers and message boards because of these games, I wonder why people have decided that BioWare is the only publisher to ever mistreat them.

Lets be honest, if you ask someone what their favourite Bioware game is and they don't say Shadows of Amn, whether they have played it or not, they are wrong.

KOTOR was a one time achievement that was reproduced in all subsequent BW games from Jade Empire through Mass Effect and Dragon Age showing they don't really know how to incorporate new mechanics into their games (oh sorry they did mimic Gears of War). As a studio BW is greatly overrated and still rides on the popularity of both BG series and KOTOR, their narratives are shallow and rely way too much on tropes and archetypes used thousands of times in their own games. Their narratives lack cohesion and are often full of contradictions (just look at the continuity issues in DA and ME).

I'm guessing the popularity of their recent games can be attributed to the film-like feeling and atmosphere that really adds to the experience but then again same feeling can't be reproduced during later playthroughs making those games boring and dull.

I think I will turn around and wait for Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity instead.

Honestly I think a new IP is probably the best thing they could be doing right now. It's something the industry need desperately, and people will have no pre-built conceptions on what type of game is should be. Which seems to be the problem with Bioware sequels lately.

I believe that Bioware can pull off incredibly amazing games. The main reason why I stopped really heavily playing their stuff is because of EA, not because of Bioware. I never bought Mass Effect 3 because I simply refuse to buy something off Origin when I have my other two Mass Effect games on Steam. I don't care if they have to take out the Multiplayer to put it on steam, I never asked for a multiplayer anyways. But between the fact that they weren't offering the conclusion to the trilogy on the same store that I owned the first two parts on plus the fact that the ending was reported to suck anyways I just lost interest in even buying it.

I actually really liked Dragon Age 2, I liked that my character was developing a real legacy and could actually stay alive for a sequel without killing his friends or spawning any demon babies. (I honestly thought the end of Dragon Age Origins was lame because it forced you to kill yourself to end the game without doing anything unethical, even though most people don't see it that way because Morrigan's tits distracted from from reading between the lines and realizing that there is something really fishy about someone who just got a brand new book on possessing powerful younger bodies begging you to let her create a baby with an archdemon's soul and then take it away to be "raised". I'm not killing one body-snatching witch only to enable another.) Granted, Dragon Age 2 had a ton of problems, and there were a lot of things about it that were just really lame, like the re-used levels, the fact that in every single fight 20 more enemies would jump off the roofs, the mages not being able to do any damage without having a set up by a fighter or rogue, or the simple fact that the story was miandering and lacked serious focus. All in all though those are qualities I could forgive in the game. I don't mind stories that tell us more about the characters we are playing with than they do about some great world destroying evil that needs to be stopped. The Witcher 2 is another of my favorite RPGs, and that game comes to no real conclusion of any kind, the bad guy you've been chasing the whole game explains his reasons at the end and you can simply say: "Ok, I guess there is no real reason for me to kill you" and walk away.

The biggest blunder that Bioware made IMO was SWTOR. It actually wasn't a bad game at all, but I just wish I could have skipped all the leveling shit and MMO baggage and just played the stories like I would have in KOTOR. It annoyed me that the game forced me to a whole bunch of grinding to get from one good part to another. Also the stories on the Republic side all seemed kind of lame. It's this typical thing that games with a good and evil faction do that the bad guys do stuff, and the good guys react to stuff that's being done to them that makes the good guys seem completely incompetent and robbed of agency.

What I want to see out of Bioware is an IP that doesn't need to have the whole universe torn assunder at the end to tell a good story. I want my character to go on from game to game and always have a possibility for a sequel. I enjoy games where my character is the thing that ties all the stories together, like Doctor Who or something, it's the chracter that is the one definitive fixture in the world.

Let me guess:

-The game will feature a totally customizable player avatar.
-Said avatar will be a newly minted agent of some galactic/world peacekeeping organization.
-You will be required to gather a party of unique individuals, featuring a broad range of species, genders, sexual orientation and classes.
-Party members will follow the templates of; Big Guy with a Heart of Gold, Jaded Cynic, Oversexed Fan-bait, Naive Magic Wielding Female, and The Straight Guy.
-There will be a romance subplot, featuring straight and gay options, irregardless of a character's previously established orientation, or if it even makes sense in the first place.
-You will not be able to take more than two others with you to annihilate armies.
-You will have a mentor character, possibly voiced by Keith David
-Keith Szarabijka will be in it.
-Combat and dialogue will revolve, pun intended, around use of wheel interface
-Combat will revolve around classes with specific powers
-Dialogue will be based on choosing between three or so choices that run the spectrum of nice, neutral, and dick.
-Despite marketing hype about choice and consequence, the ending will be the same for everyone.

Aetrion:
The main reason why I stopped really heavily playing their stuff is because of EA, not because of Bioware.

That's a sentiment that I see quite a lot, but you have to realize that BioWare only exists in name. It is no longer a company. You cannot buy stock in BioWare nor do they produce their own annual financial statements. BioWare is EA. You can't blame EA and not BioWare, because they are the same company.

Excited is certainly not the word I'd use. I won't crucify the game before we even know anything, but it'd have to prove a hell of a lot before I'd give it the time of day (plus have nothing to do with origin or have origin overhauled massively, which will almost certainly not happen).

Once upon a time I would have been unbelievably excited by this announcement, but the fact is as far as I'm concerned talking about the Bioware that made KOTOR and the Bioware that is today is like talking about 2 different companies. it's policies, philosophies, and approaches have been hollowed out and infested in place by mindless, machine-calculated minimal effort programming of EA, and anyone who was important to the soul of the old Bioware jumped ship long ago.

I loved mass effect 2. I loved Dragon Age 1. I never played another Bioware game after those two.

And then there's the whole question of competency that ME3 raised. While I hated it, if the writers had come out and said 'this is exactly how I imagined it, this is my artistic vision' I would have sided with 'don't change it, but im sure as hell going to think twice before I buy anything with your name on it if you think this is quality writing'. If they had come out and said 'this was a corporate-inflicted mistake due to deadlines and focus testing, we'll make a better one' That would have again left my skeptical for the future, but a fair bit more forgiving. Instead they offered up the mumbled corner-of-the-mouth placation with the 'extended cut', which did nothing to fix the core problems the ending had (namely, that it was an abrupt shift in tone of the work from 'Shepard can do anything she works hard enough for' to 'you were always screwed no matter what you did'. I've seen some argue that was deliberately the point but given there was zero telegraphing or commentary or any such thing to suggest it was a planned subversion, I'm not giving the benefit of that doubt.)

I never playes a Bioware game until these last couple of years, when I got the opportunity to play the Dragon Age series, the Mass Effect series, and Jade Empire. Out of those three, the oldest were the most fun, starting with Jade Empire. And I played that most recently, after all the others! I'll support this new game if I hear they actually make easygoing and fun games again, or if they've hired Platinum to do their action bits or something, like it's Metal Gear Rising again. Or if they've had a massive reworking of the way they make games, because despite Jade Empire, Mass Effect and Dragon Age all having completely different combat systems, the feel of the world is exactly the same. It doesn't seem like they have ever changed how they make the basis of a game, and I can't imagine their oldest veterans are going to be the ones to change it up.

6unn3r:
Well if its not KOTOR 3 i shall be sending a very strongly worded letter to Bioware telling them of my feelings on this matter...or i'll just grumble to myself. It's not like they listen to us mere mortals now is it?

It's a new IP so it's pretty much 100% that it won't be KotOR 3.

Machine Man 1992:
Let me guess:

-The game will feature a totally customizable player avatar.
-Said avatar will be a newly minted agent of some galactic/world peacekeeping organization.
-You will be required to gather a party of unique individuals, featuring a broad range of species, genders, sexual orientation and classes.
-Party members will follow the templates of; Big Guy with a Heart of Gold, Jaded Cynic, Oversexed Fan-bait, Naive Magic Wielding Female, and The Straight Guy.
-There will be a romance subplot, featuring straight and gay options, irregardless of a character's previously established orientation, or if it even makes sense in the first place.
-You will not be able to take more than two others with you to annihilate armies.
-You will have a mentor character, possibly voiced by Keith David
-Keith Szarabijka will be in it.
-Combat and dialogue will revolve, pun intended, around use of wheel interface
-Combat will revolve around classes with specific powers
-Dialogue will be based on choosing between three or so choices that run the spectrum of nice, neutral, and dick.
-Despite marketing hype about choice and consequence, the ending will be the same for everyone.

Yeah but some of us play really really hard and get to hear extraneous companion dialogue that others don't get to. Because choices. Totally worth the $80 day one full game purchase.

Honestly, too many of Bioware's more recent games do not appeal to me for me to be terribly interested in this. The First Mass Effect game was the last Bioware game I really enjoyed, because they really nailed the space opera genre with that one, before they turned the series into a mess of a sex, violence, and swearing drenched action shlock to make the game 'darker and grittier' or whatever. Dragon age to me was never terribly inspired, and compared unfavorably to its predecessors Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate. Making a new IP should be an excuse to strike out in new exciting directions, but Bioware used it as an excuse to rip off a half dozen pre-established fantasy settings in order to cobble together the most generic fantasy setting possible and avoid paying royalties. And the sequel hilariously couldn't even stay consistent with that, with Bioware suddenly deciding that Dragon Age really needed JRPG aesthetics all along and throwing in more sex and violence. (honestly don't know why they keep doing this, throwing that in doesn't automatically make a game more mature). And lastly of course, they took a dump on the legacy of the KoToR series by turning it into a MMO cash-in only tangentially related to the RPG series.

I'd love to see Bioware return to its roots that made me adore them in the past, but honestly I'm not holding my breath.

I think BW needs to step back and take their time on the next few projects. I also think EA needs to take several leaps back and let them do their thing.

I have faith that the games will be fun, but I'm not able to invest myself in anything they do until I see results. I certainly won't buy DA3 unless PC versions ship with no Origin tie-in (not likely).

Also, demos and no-holds-barred reviews before buying. Gone are the days of buying any games on faith, $60 is too much to take a gamble with, esp when most games out there barely last 3 sittings.

I'm game.

I loved Dragon Age 2 and the Mass Effect 3.

The ending of ME 3 didn't effect me, though I didn't sit around sifting through all the points of series to come up with the absolute must make ending. I experienced it, it is what it is, and I'm fine with it.

So, whatever new thing they come up with it is pretty much guaranteed that I will love it.

i would love a nice new game. But that company is sadly dead for me since they will be tied to Origin. And i am not touching that. As for whats coming i would think ME with a diffrent skin. The whole new thing really dont exist anymore.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here