No Right Answer: Best Sunday Comic

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Best Sunday Comic

Remember reading comics in the newspaper? Chris and Kyle do, and this week they're debating which Sunday comic reigns supreme.

Watch Video

they don't beat garfield... maybe Dilbert. Still like Dilbert. Also what about Non sequiter and Beetle Bailey?

Calvin and Hobbs = best comic strip
Peanuts gang= best cartoon

How could you forget the huge Sunday Calvin and Hobbes comics that got it canceled from some news papers because they were too big and couldn't be reformatted to another size and brought the whole comics page closer to an art.

Peanuts is iconic, but Calvin and Hobbes is it for me.

I have a memory of being a little girl, curled up on the living room floor in front of the fire place reading the Calvin and Hobbes strip about when they're playing outside in the snow and they come inside to curl up around the fire for hot chocolate. It's just this memory of perfect calm and comfort.

I have most of the collection books and you do get something new out of them every time you read them.

And For Better or For Worse, of course, is the other comic tied to my childhood.

Peanuts? Fail.

If you wanted to put up a comic that would have given Calvin and Hobbes a run for its money, should have gone with Far Side.

The first comics I thought of when I saw the title were Dilbert and Garfield. Both of which I think are better than Peanuts and C&H.

Me personally, it should have been Peanuts strictly because of the holiday specials. The classic ones, not the most recent ones.

Garfield is the greatest because of the cartoon special, 9 live of Garfield. It is sadder than Jurrassic Bark.

I hate Mondays.

Peanuts is a fine strip, and there is no doubt that the characters are endearing. But there are few things that can match the heart, depth and humor of Calvin and Hobbes.

Calvin and Hobbes should have been victorious. Nothing against Peanuts, but there's little depth to it. "Empty calories" was a good analogy. C&H is a truly great artistic work. It's engaging, deep, intelligent, uncompromising, and (at least the large watercolor strips) quite beautiful. It does all of that and is still hilarious.

I challenge you to work in an office and not like Dilbert.

Why wasn't I invited? WHY THE HELL WAS I NOT INVITED TO THIS ONE?! THIS IS WHAT I DO! Come on, people!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ComicStripCritic

Strange thing, despite I never once read Calvin and Hobbs (what? I'm from the UK) and seen some Peanut episode, I would of side with Calvin and Hobbs! Yes I have seen a few of those strips which I guess leave more of an impact to me than Peanut cartoon.

madwarper:
Peanuts? Fail.

If you wanted to put up a comic that would have given Calvin and Hobbes a run for its money, should have gone with Far Side.

I can't objectively argue anything regarding Calvin and Hobbs because it was a part of my childhood and I will love it until the day I die. If I had to pick something I can objectively argue, Far Side all the way.

Hehehe.

Ickabod:
I challenge you to work in an office and not like Dilbert.

Doesn't make it a good strip. Observational humor is pretty easy/basic. It doesn't take much insight to poke fun at the mundane parts of life.

Calvin and Hobbes easily wins this for me. It's the only comic I've actually bought books for, and I still re-read them from time to time.
Far Side is a close second just based on the clever humor it fits into 1 panel.

Peanuts just never really spoke to me. I don't feel any sense of nostalgia for it. "Empty calories" might be the best analogy for it.

I thought the fan theory that Calvin grew up to be Ed Norton's character in Fight Club was a fun read.
http://ignatz.brinkster.net/cfightclub.html

I was really rooting for Calvin and Hobbes to win this one. At least it was a tie.

There are Peanuts strips - not all of them, but more than a couple - which I'd pit against Calvin and Hobbes in terms of depth. F'rinstance, Charlie Brown, when attempting to kick the football, was quite aware that he would fail and often dealt with why he was trying anyway. Were I arguing for the superiority of Peanuts I'd've probably worked an angle that anything Calvin and Hobbes did well, Charlie Brown did first.

The only exception to this that I can come up with is Waterson's expansive Sunday format. I'll always love the guy for fighting the shrinking size of funnies.

My go-to wouldn't've been either comic, though. For me the connundrum will always be between Far Side and Bloom County. The former mastered the one-panel strip, arguably introduced the world to geek humor, paving the way for Dilbert and subsequent web-comicry; the latter, IMHO, predated C&H's hallmark large-scale Sunday strip, replete with dream-like surrealism.

I'd like a victory for C&H :(

Another great one for me is Zits.

Not even going to watch. Aside fro the fact that the people who do this are terrible at debate and the judge is apparently a complete nincompoop, there's no argument here. Calvin And Hobbes hands down.

I don't normally even like comics but the one big exception was always C&H. Those giant compendia gave me a couple of the most enjoyable, pants-wettingly funny days of my life. I believe I've read every last one. Peanuts, big old MEH!

Calvin & Hobbes, hands-down. I disagree that Peanuts exists "outside of time"; there are some exceptionally dated references that remove that timelessness.

Now, if we're talking a comic that had a larger-than-comics impact on its world that could rival C&H on the Sunday pages, Bloom County/Outland is your best pick.

shirkbot:

madwarper:
Peanuts? Fail.

*snip*

I can't objectively argue anything regarding Calvin and Hobbs because it was a part of my childhood and I will love it until the day I die. If I had to pick something I can objectively argue, Far Side all the way.
*snip*

Hehehe.

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one disappointed that Peanuts made it in before Far Side. I never understood the fascination with that comic, aside from it being a "classic" for some reason.

Oh, and:

Peanuts as great as a comic as it is, was made for a different generation. I agree with a lot of others hear, there could of been a better selection.

EDIT: when I think of C&H I usually think of....

Worgen:
snip

Laugh:

To me, there are two highly underrated comics, one is centered more to the 80's but still fuckin' awesome (Bloom County) and Far Side

Fuckin' love this thread.

IridRadiant:
The first comics I thought of when I saw the title were Dilbert and Garfield. Both of which I think are better than Peanuts and C&H.

Really? Really?!?

Dilburt I'll grant you as maybe being on par, even though Scott Adams said in interviews that C&H was a superior strip.

But Garfield?? There are exactly two jokes that are repeated ad nauseum.

EDIT: And thirding the disappointment at no Far Side.

Never heard of C&H but have seen the pissing on football team shirt thing on back of car,
So from a British POV its gotta be peanuts

There a has been a lot of I'm british so I've not heard X so Y wins debates for me recently.

uh huh .... a tie ...

strange .... Peanuts was never really that great in that I never really read them. They where kinda dull and used the same few jokes over and over (kinda like Garfield) Where as Calvin and Hobbes was about stuff at times, the duo actually did more 'kid' things, and at least when the same gag was used (like the weird snow men or Calvin Ball) it was different in one way or another.

Dominic Crossman:
Never heard of C&H but have seen the pissing on football team shirt thing on back of car,

There a has been a lot of I'm british so I've not heard X so Y wins debates for me recently.

No no no. Please don't form your opinion of Calvin and Hobbes based on those crappy decals. They have absolutely nothing to do with the comic. They were made without the creators consent and go against everything the strip represented.

Calvin & Hobbs win this by default for me as I rarely find Peanuts funny. Especially when bizarre Snow Men are added into the mix. But Peanuts?.... Too many characters to even care about & the jokes usually aren't there or have gone stale.

Here's a short list of comics I find way more funny than Peanuts
Andy Capp
Beetle Bailey
Hagar The Horrible
Mother Goose & Grimm

And I find Dilbert & Garfield at times way more funny than Peanuts.

I have to ask, have you guys actually ever READ Peanuts? It's nonsensical. In that, it literally makes no sense. It's not funny, it doesn't tell a story, it is simply three or four panels that make you go "huh"? Go ahead, pick up a Sunday paper and read it sometime (assuming they are still running the repeats), you will see that I am right (my paper runs the daily repeats so I sometimes read it after I've read all the other better stuff). Maybe it was because Schultz was going senile at the end of his career, I don't know.

I have no idea why people adore this strip so much. The XMas specials? Sure, okay, those are pretty good. But the strip itself is simply non-understandable.

Another tie?! I demand a rematch! With Dan supporting his favorite comic strip! Calvin & Hobbes should have won hands down. I read that strip as a kid, because I could relate to Calvin at that age.
And what's wrong with Dilbert?

I don't understand people who still like Garfield. Maybe it was funny, say, 25 years ago, but it has been absolutely terrible whenever I actually deemed to read it. Cut and paste panels and the same few gorram "jokes" (I use the term "joke" here lightly) that he has been telling since he first published the thing. Not funny and incredibly bland.

Calvin and Hobbes though, now that was a fantastic comic strip. My grandmother used to buy a C&H book for me to read every time I visited. Witty humour, great drawing (later on), incredibly imaginative and fanciful. It was funny to read as a kid and it aged wonderfully when I became an adult, if anything becoming far funnier that it was when I was a kid. Man, I miss that comic strip. Several years ago my local newspaper started to run the strips again in the comics section and C&H was so much funnier than anything else in there. It made me realize how stale comics have become now-a-days, so much so that I stopped reading comics in the paper they stopped running C&H. It is one of my dreams that Bill Watterson has been spending the last eighteen years secretly making new strips of Calvin and Hobbes.

Also agreed with others that The Far Side is pretty much the only comic that could give Calvin and Hobbes a run for its money.

Calvin and Hobbes is high art. Peanuts is minimalist art. They are both genius in their own way.

I'm surprised to see Peanuts not getting its due in the comments, though (or in the video either). Peanuts is an incredibly subtle and beautiful comic. Schultz' drawing style is so sparse and produces so much character, and Charlie Brown is one of the world's greatest ever loser-heroes. In fact, the whole series is full of despair - Charlie Brown's doomed romance with the little red-haired girl. His continuous hope that one year Lucy won't pull the ball away. Lucy's tragic love for Schroeder. Linus' love of his teacher. Marcie's worship of Patty. Only Snoopy is a constant source of optimism (and even he has his failed writing career). There's easily as much philosophy in Peanuts as there is in Calvin and Hobbes.

I highly recommend Umberto Eco's brilliant essay on the translation of Peanuts and his musings on the comic itself. It's a fascinating perspective on the genius of Schultz.

And just to make it clear - Calvin and Hobbes still wins it for me by a whisker, for Calvinball alone.

Dominic Crossman:

I'm British too and I've read them - they're not in any newspapers but the books are readily available. And you should absolutely read them, they are a masterpiece. Other comics may have better gags (I love Dilbert) and even better art (Far Side) but C&H goes to the depth of the human soul.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here