Escape to the Movies: Red 2

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Red 2

When can an unassuming forgettable action flick be good?

Watch Video

I didn't even know that this movie was a thing, though I can't claim to be surprised by the information. I think I will wait to rent the DVD.

Yeah summer 2013 has been pretty lackluster so far as movies goes.

Also now with earthbound out no one has no reason "not" to own a Wii U.

I'd bet a shiny new penny that Bob felt left out of the 'internet critics piss on Man Of Steel' bandwagon and has since decided that swaying from consensus on this is just too much. I thought it was badass, surprised the guy that loved Pacific Rim hated that, the last 40 minutes was exactly what he loved about Pacific Rim. That film is Godzilla made life? Well that last part of MoS is DBZ made life, and its awesome.

Oh yeah this film. Meh. If it makes money it's off of people that have surely already seen Pacific Rim twice, otherwise why exactly would you choose this over that?

I will be interested to here your re-evaluated thoughts on Man of Steel.

I myself was very polarized by it. While I like the aesthetic, the cast (for the most part), and the action (even though there was some questionable stuff regarding the annihilation of Metropolis), the films laborious needlessly somber scripting, awkward pace and dangling thematic threads kept me from being wholly engaged by it.

As for RED 2. Not interested. I have a huge backlog of films to get through many of which are not mediocre Bruce Willis vehicles.

Sorry, Bob, but the last Iron Man was not good. It was the messiest of them all and outright silly.

This thread is so going to turn into a Man Of Steel vs. Iron Man 3 turf war, I can already tell...

...and this response probably won't help any:

Retrograde:
I'd bet a shiny new penny that Bob felt left out of the 'internet critics piss on Man Of Steel' bandwagon and has since decided that swaying from consensus on this is just too much.

Anyone with decent taste in film has pissed all over Man Of Steel.

Even in the initial review it felt like he KNEW it was bad, but just couldn't admit it to itself so he employed all the mental gymnastics he could to avoid saying it.

So the summer action line-up is Red's Dead Redemption?

Well, I look forward to sitting down to watch this when I get back from Vacation!

And thank god that they didnt try to shoot it in 3d, WAYYYY too much of that shit going around these days.

Hope to see what Bob thinks of RIPD by the time I get home as well!

And on the book thing... Sorry to tell ya bob, but to me... that...just sounds awful. I am sure it will appeal to some people, but reading about someone playing a game while critiquing it... I just dont see the appeal. Best of luck selling it though!

Edit: Aaand on the man of steel.. Well, I enjoyed the fight with the girl villain best out of that movie. She was so much more awesome than Zodd. But hey, atleast DC went ahead and showed off all they can really do right is Batman!

Hmmm... I wonder if Themis (or whoever runs this site...) is liking that RIPD ad revenue too much to let MB have a crack at it. Rotten Tomatoes only solidifies this opinion.

As for RED 2, meh. I wasn't interested enough in the first one for this to really be worth the effort. I actually was looking forward to a RIPD review, simply because RED and RED 2 never seemed all that interesting to me.

The Dubya:

Retrograde:
I'd bet a shiny new penny that Bob felt left out of the 'internet critics piss on Man Of Steel' bandwagon and has since decided that swaying from consensus on this is just too much.

In other words:

I don't even like Man of Steel and I find your ludicrously hyperbolic, myopic condescension grating.

I saw RED in video and still think its a fun movie (and, for some reason, I can remember the story but it does get confusing in the 3rd act imo). As for the sequel, I think I'll wait until it hits Redbox to see it. I might go see the Conjuring or Pacific Rim or Despicable Me 2 this weekend instead. Because I dunno if anything else worthwhile will be coming in August (definitely will pass on Smurfs 2 and Planes).

Really wish I lived in Massachusetts. I'd see you on Saturday to meet you in person and get a copy of SMB3: Brick by Brick in a heartbeat.

well i actually quite liked RED.

to me it fits in the "laid back, not so serious ensemble caper movie" genre and y'know what i quite like that genre, we don't make many movies like that nowadays and the ones we do make tend to be crap but RED has a stellar ensemble cast and handled itself pretty well i thought.

i probably will make a point of grabbing this sequel with a side order of popcorn one weekend but it won't be "at the pictures"...

Retrograde:
I'd bet a shiny new penny that Bob felt left out of the 'internet critics piss on Man Of Steel' bandwagon and has since decided that swaying from consensus on this is just too much. I thought it was badass, surprised the guy that loved Pacific Rim hated that, the last 40 minutes was exactly what he loved about Pacific Rim.

As someone who share's Bob's point of view on the two movies, its not how the last 40 mins went, but how the first hour and a half went. Despite Superman having the better on paper cast, I felt more connection to the characters in Pacific Rim and I will admit that Pacific Rims characters are very much stock. I never cared about the Daily Planet staff but I did care for Charley Day's character in the Hong Kong scene. Also, I felt that Pacific Rim did one thing better then Superman, the Kaiju always felt like a threat that rip through cities, giant ineffectual sea walls and Jaeger's a like but Superman and Zod just felt like plastic action figures being slammed against each other. I felt tension in Pacific Rim because I always felt that there was the possibility of characters not surviving.

Retrograde:
I'd bet a shiny new penny that Bob felt left out of the 'internet critics piss on Man Of Steel' bandwagon and has since decided that swaying from consensus on this is just too much. I thought it was badass, surprised the guy that loved Pacific Rim hated that, the last 40 minutes was exactly what he loved about Pacific Rim. That film is Godzilla made life? Well that last part of MoS is DBZ made life, and its awesome.

Oh yeah this film. Meh. If it makes money it's off of people that have surely already seen Pacific Rim twice, otherwise why exactly would you choose this over that?

I think it's all about the context. It makes sense for giant monsters and robots to tear shit up. It's a bit of a harder sell to see superman do it, especially when you consider the orignal Christopher Reeves Superman to be one of the best superhero movies ever, like Bob does.

I really liked Man of Steel, but I also grew up on the animated series where Superman regularly tore shit up because he had to, because the baddies were much more powerful than the movies typical put Superman up against. I can understand why people might not like that, even if I don't agree.

Totally figured the review would've been RIPD since the ads are plastered all over the Escapist, but I guess he's already seen Men in Black.

I understand the "post viewing flip" (as I call it) that he was hinting at concerning MoS. I have had that happen a few times. I was totally juiced after watching the second Matrix in theaters, but not a week later I was like..."wow that movie sucked". The theater setting seems to add a lot of intensity and impact to movies that don't really deserve it.

This movie...
I couldn't even get through my redbox DVD rental of RED so I'm sure I will not even watch this new installment when it pops up on Netflix.

So the conjuring got a R rating because of the story???? Damn it I already have my ticket and I just really hope this does not get my hopes up to far.

[Stay tuned for an important announcement!]

It's gonna be a book plug, isn't it?

[review ends, aaaaaand-]

Can't say I was surprised.

Chris Mosher:
So the conjuring got a R rating because of the story???? Damn it I already have my ticket and I just really hope this does not get my hopes up to far.

The Conjuring almost seems too good to be true. Seeing as how it's so easy to get burned by modern day horror movies, to see something like this get such across-the-board rave reviews from everyone (and now learning this got an R rating for the STORY rather than for language/violence/sex?!), I just don't know what to make of it. I wouldn't even know what a truly good modern day horror movie would even look like, so I'm cautiously optimistic for this one.

It seems entertaining enough, so I may go see it, but there are better movies to see instead (pacific rim) with even better reasons to see them.

Chris Mosher:

As someone who share's Bob's point of view on the two movies, its not how the last 40 mins went, but how the first hour and a half went. Despite Superman having the better on paper cast, I felt more connection to the characters in Pacific Rim and I will admit that Pacific Rims characters are very much stock. I never cared about the Daily Planet staff but I did care for Charley Day's character in the Hong Kong scene. Also, I felt that Pacific Rim did one thing better then Superman, the Kaiju always felt like a threat that rip through cities, giant ineffectual sea walls and Jaeger's a like but Superman and Zod just felt like plastic action figures being slammed against each other. I felt tension in Pacific Rim because I always felt that there was the possibility of characters not surviving.

Fair enough.

I imagine I'm probably one of the few whose primary Supe exposure is actually cartoons rather than films OR comics, and the film is much closer to a big chunk of cartoon series than it is to previous movies or comics, so I can see why I'm in a niche. And you do indeed expound on the points further. Good work.

Mcoffey:

Totally figured the review would've been RIPD since the ads are plastered all over the Escapist, but I guess he's already seen Men in Black.

Seems like you and me are on the same page there. Also, somehow I managed to have completely missed RIPD. You've just informed me it's a thing. One trailer on the youtubes later, and I'm all for Jeff Bridges being a cowboy soul killer, I don't give a shit how derivative it may be!

Because Jeff Bridges. Is a cowboy soul killer.

GSP66:

The Dubya:

Retrograde:

In other words:

I don't even like Man of Steel and I find your ludicrously hyperbolic, myopic condescension grating.

*looks through my initial post*

Nope, don't see where I said that he wasn't allowed enjoy it regardless...wasted meme pic is wasted =|

And here I thought I was bad with using pseudo-intellectual jargon needlessly...here brotha, take my crown.

The Dubya:

GSP66:

The Dubya:

In other words:

*looks through my initial post*

Nope, don't see where I said that he wasn't allowed enjoy it...wasted meme pic is wasted =|

And here I thought I was bad with using pseudo-intellectual jargon needlessly...here brotha, take my crown.

No you said that any one with decent taste pissed on Man of Steel ergo implying he and anyone who liked Man of Steel does not have decent taste. See how this interpretation thing works 'brotha'?

If that is not what you were trying to say you shouldn't use such loaded, hyperbolic language.

As for me using 'pseudo intellectual jargon needlessly' how would you have liked me to rephrase it.

'I find your close minded approach to difference in taste irritating'

I say what I need to say to get my point across and if it comes off as pseudo-intellectual (which it isn't considering the average 10th grader should have learned these words by now) I'm sorry for my crippling lack of fucks to give.

Honestly I'm not really surprised by MovieBob's take on the summer so far. I don't agree with most of it, but I get why.

MovieBob... you're getting old.

Just accept it. Accept that shit is not going to be as shiny as you remember it when you were young. Accept that sometimes things in your childhood get rebooted or rebranded. Sometime they cater to what once made them awesome, like Pacific Rim, but most of the time they're going to be changed for the current era, because they actually want the movie to sell well. Sure there's been some horrifying bad examples of rebooting; Lone Ranger doesn't even star the Lone Ranger, WWZ is plain old doing zombies wrong, and I'll even go out on a limb and say that splitting The Hobbit into three movies is just Peter Jackson spanking the movie market out of every dollar he can, but sometimes movies get rebooted and changed for the right reasons.

Man of Steel is exactly what every Superman movie ever made was missing; its only flaw was missing some of the components that most Superman movies got right: chemistry, for example. I dislike Sony Pictures about as much as anyone else, but the Spiderman reboot was actually good and catered to the actual comic book Spiderman more than the previous trilogy. Oh, and Star Trek was DEAD before Abrams brought it back to life; you don't have to like what he did with it, but doing nothing would've caused the franchise to just fizzle out and be forgotten.

You're gonna have to start calling yourself a Nostalgia Critic here pretty soon if you can't reign in your nerd rage a little more.

I don't get why The Conjuring is even getting a July release aside from no "scary" movies have been released in months. I would have expected something like that to be released in August/September or January

GSP66:

No you said that any one with decent taste pissed on Man of Steel ergo implying he and anyone who liked Man of Steel does not have decent taste.

Doesn't mean you aren't allowed to like bad movies. Someone like my mom is going to find a movie like Malibu's Most Wanted a masterpiece; and though it had all the critical beating it took coming for not being a quality film, it doesn't mean she isn't allowed to like it. I'm just not going to take her opinion on film and film-making very seriously over guys like, say, Roger Ebert, who have a better understanding of what they're talking about and what separates the good from the bad.

Some people like munching on healthy food; some people like scarfing down junk food. Don't confuse a Caesar salad with a bowl of puffy Cheetos is all I'm saying...

*shrugs*

AJey:
Sorry, Bob, but the last Iron Man was not good. It was the messiest of them all and outright silly.

As a non-comic reader I had a lot of trouble accepting fire-breathing, supposedly human antagonist - even if he was played by Guy Pearce. I can forgive all the dumb shit in Iron Man because it still has the aesthetic of technology: nuts, bolts, metal, etc. etc. You can't just say, "Oh it's science," and then show me a man's face recovering from a laser blast.

Hey look it's my absolute least favorite character from The West Wing.

I guess this means R.I.P.D didn't screen for critics. :shrug: Was just curious.

I'd Netflix'ed RED (1) and enjoyed it, much to my surprise - though I agree with MovieBob that the plot was somewhat forgettable as the characters kind of stole the show (even Ernest Borgnine in a small cameo). So this one already had me curious (though if I had time this weekend something in me wants to go see Pacific Rim again...).

I was actually just talking to some people about how, when I first saw Man of Steel, I enjoyed it but, after thinking about it more, actually like it less and less.

I think it's because it failed to do justice to the character himself, but did the action scenes pretty well, which is something that we haven't really seen, at least since Superman 2.

You know, I was hoping for Bob to say that this movie was "meh" and you should just go see Pacific Rim again (which you should). But whatever, he definitely has a point about upcoming movies... but what's "Butler" about, and why is it being saddled with Smurfs 2 and Planes?

Also, HOLY SHIT, IT'S HERE ALREADY?! EarthBound for the Virtual Console, holy shit, I've been waiting most of my recent life for this!

Sooo are you not looking forward to Kick Ass 2 since that's coming out in Augest? Yes that is pretty much the last Summer film I will be watching after Pacific Rim.

Retrograde:

This is it exactly.

"There's nerdrage on the internet and I'm not a part of it? Arghhhhhh! I've evolved! My position's evolved now, I hate it more than you!"

Let's see:

- RED 2: you know, I can't remember much of the plot to the first one, either. It was fine as a movie, but nothing to write home about.

- What, no love for R.I.P.D.? Or would we just copy-paste a bad review of Men In Black and call it a day?

- Man of Steel: You know what has really soured me on this movie? Its defenders. It's not a terrible movie, but it's got a lot of problems. It's divisive, and that means you get a lot of fans lumping all critics into the same corner (despite the 57% RT rating... which means there were actually more positive reviews than negative) and accusing guys like Bob and I of wanting the same Superman as before, having nerd rage, or the usual blather about critics "not getting it."

So, yes, MoS fans, your righteous vitriol has made me want to chuck the film into a trash can, because it has brought out the worst in you. And I didn't even think it was that bad a film initially (and the score by Hans Zimmer is rather nice, but he always makes things exciting).

So now Bob doesn't like Man of Steel....color me surprised.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here