Escapist Podcast: 101: More Pacific Rim & Game Franchises

Pages 1 2 NEXT

101: More Pacific Rim & Game Franchises

This week, we discuss our thoughts on Pacific Rim after seeing the film. We also talk about Ubisoft's statement on only making new IPs if they can be franchises.

Watch Video

A few things that came up in the podcast that we promised to link to.

Perhaps you're talking about "We're back: a dinosaur story"

IllumInaTIma:
Perhaps you're talking about "We're back: a dinosaur story"

The movie from the intro is Meet the Robinsons.

The way I see the Ubisoft sequels policy is more of "When we make a new IP, sometimes it'll hit, sometimes it'll miss - that's the way things go. But WHEN something hits, we want to make sure we're in a position to translate that popularity into a franchise, which gets us money, and you more of what you like".

And thank goodness that BioWare's working on new IP. Actually, lots of new IP happening now, that's gonna be fun - The Order 1886 is going retro-steampunk, and yeah, some kind of urban fantasy thing would be great, and spy stuff is always fun (Klei's making a sort of Espionage-XCOM if I recall correctly).

EDIT: Ah, Jaeger name. Going to see it tomorrow, so I don't fully appreciate it, but I'm New Toronto with a Slam Skull - so I guess I just headbutt stuff a LOT.

Jaeger would be Standing Melbourne with a Blades.. foot. Blades Foot? Foot Blades? Either way, I expect a lot of kicking.

I think that Ubisoft just says what everyone in the industry's thinking. I can't imagine that they're alone in their view. I also think back to when an executive said they wanted new consoles more frequently and think that other publishers probably felt the same way.

Ma'idah, your not alone in liking the 1990's Godzilla.

What? I still like that film, its stupid but enjoyable.

Edit:

Drastically Plymouth...

..Ok?

Plasma Wisdom Tooth...

Ow.

Gundam Wing DID have a bad mental thing with it. The Zero system had a bad habit of making the pilot go insane during battle so it's probably best if you stay away from that one. However, if I recall correctly I do not believe that system or something like it was standard for all Mobile Suits. The 1st Mobile Suit Gundam didn't have that but I believe you physically needed to be a better human to optimally pilot it in battle, something about superhuman reflexes.

EDIT: Regarding Mobile Suit Gundam, it was either that or the PILOT was a better person and had to upgrade the Gundam to keep up. I can't quite remember as it's been several years since I saw the series.

DOUBLE EDIT: Superhuman Lakewood, super weapon- Rocket Chest

My jaeger's name would be Dumb Aberdeen and it's super weapons are the Sprint Fingers. It sounds like my jaeger would only be good for tickling kaijus...

A lot of great game stories are ONLY possible if a game is a one-time affair.

So I've gotta ask: where's Tito? He's been gone for the past few of these and I'm starting to miss his goofy commentary on things.

I pilot the Padded Columbiaville and shoot foes with my fire fingers. Total boss.

Rassmusseum:
So I've gotta ask: where's Tito? He's been gone for the past few of these and I'm starting to miss his goofy commentary on things.

Tito will be back eventually on the podcast - his wife just gave birth to their 2nd kid, so he's sort of in and out of the office.

Jeager name: Screaming Vegas or Screaming Honolulu, take your pick.

Special attack is Pummeling Knuckles.

I can live with this.

Jaeger Name - Tremendous Sydney
Weapon - Plasma Shoulder.

Good podcast guys really enjoyed it.

Aerosteam:
My jaeger's name would be Dumb Aberdeen and it's super weapons are the Sprint Fingers. It sounds like my jaeger would only be good for tickling kaijus...

Or you could go all G-Gundum and just Shining-Burning-Finger them (Basically a flaming face grab if you haven't actually seen G-Gundum)

First, some facts about the T-rex.
While the arms were pretty much useless to the beast, they weren't as weak as you would think. They each could lift about 400lbs. Nothing compared to what it's legs could probably do, but that's not bad.

As for what they were used for? Well, so far scientists think if they were used for anything, it was sex.
Basically, they think the T-rex would use it's hands to "tickle" it's mate by gently scraping their scales.

Also, one other little know fact about the T-rex is that they were all killed by the Kaiju. ;D

My Jaeger's name is "Bad Rapids". Super weapon; "Slam Skin".

I don't get hurt much. Almost never. The worst I get normally are cuts on my arms, legs, and pretty much anywhere else that a sharp thing can get to and cut me.

The worst injuries I've gotten are where when I fell and got lots of my skin scraped off, but it all healed and nothing else got hurt. So for injured body part, I'll be going with skin. As for what the weapon is. Well, I guess since it's my skin, it will have to be more of a mode.

The jaeger's "skin" has spikes come out of it, and they set up an electric field. It's called Slam Skin because as jaegers, that's what we do. Hit the Kaiju until they're dead. This will be good because if they try to grab Bad Rapids they'll get cut up, and they'll get electrified if they so much as touch it. Also, I would imagine getting hit in the face with a spiked, electric robot fist would hurt.

WMDogma:

Rassmusseum:

Tito will be back eventually on the podcast - his wife just gave birth to their 2nd kid, so he's sort of in and out of the office.

Ah. I kind of suspected that was why, but I didn't wanna just come out and ask; none of my business and all. Anyway, thanks for the info Paul and best of luck with the newborn Greg!

WMDogma:

Rassmusseum:

Hope ya don't mind me asking. But was the child a boy, or another girl?

Either way, congratulations to Tito's family!

Christmas Melbourne. Plasma Wrist. Oh yeah...

I loved the 90s Godzilla. I'm not judging anyone... (Then again, I need to rewatch it).

My Jaeger is the Innocent Perth, with it's super move being Slam Ankle.
Man this makes me want to draw it.

Oh and I'd definitely be drifting with my brother, we'd pretty much be like that Australian team but with more swearing and anime references. We're quite in sync too, we often game together and if we're ever on a team together no one stands a chance.
Best friends for life!

Imp Emissary:
First, some facts about the T-rex.
While the arms were pretty much useless to the beast, they weren't as weak as you would think. They each could lift about 400lbs. Nothing compared to what it's legs could probably do, but that's not bad.

As for what they were used for? Well, so far scientists think if they were used for anything, it was sex.
Basically, they think the T-rex would use it's hands to "tickle" it's mate by gently scraping their scales.

Also, one other little know fact about the T-rex is that they were all killed by the Kaiju. ;D

There's a couple more theories about how the arms were used. Could have also been for holding females in place, holding prey, leveraging itself up after a fall.Could all be true, not like we use our arms for just one thing. Also, fun fact, they recently found a really good skeleton, now named Wyrex, with a vestigial third finger(on us it would be our middle finger).
Personally, I think the movie should have gone with the Permian extinction(90% of all life, terrestrial and marine, dead), but everyone knows the dinosaurs, so I'll let them have it.

I think one thing Warcraft has going for it is a decent introductory bit of lore and gameplay has already been turned into pretty decent books that connect pretty well with one another. Doesn't seem like it would be too tough to introduce the world with Tides of Darkness and flow from there to sequels and prequels.

I think that you could totally do a good 40K movie with a space marine cast. Specifically, basing it around Deathwatch. Because Deathwatch marines are pulled from different chapters, you could easily do an ensemble war movie with the different personalities (think Dirty Dozen, Inglorious Bastards, Saving Private Ryan and the like).

<---------

That reference alone made this episode great.

My Jaeger would be Giant Sarasota with an Arm Sword.

My mech would be Weltall 2, System ID > Xenogears.

So my Jaeger name would be Studious Athens with its deadly Blaster Foot.

My Jaeger is Beautiful Winnipeg and you should all fear its Slam Shoulder!

Could you guys perhaps provide the mp3 in a more accessible way? I don't use itunes and the RSS link you've provided leads to a bunch of xml gibberish.

True if I text search through the RSS XML I can get to :

http://www.themis-media.com/videos/get/0/e15a29097a5b663fa43b258772591ecc/7754.mp3

But why on Earth can't you just link to the file on your website like every other civilized podcast? Or feed it through the Escapist advertising player if you want?

You know, Pacific Rim isn't in the theaters yet here in Finland, so it would be nice if you would not spoil everything.
I skipped the part where you specifically talked about it, but you still brought it up anyway.

My fault, though, I suppose. I should have not listened to this at all.

I would love to see more 40K games, good candidates would be a turn based Dark Heresy RPG and a Titan mech style game. Saying that, there are a few 40K games in development, but I'm not getting too excited given the questionable quality of the devs.

WMDogma:

Rassmusseum:

I was curious about that too. Best wishes to him and the family.

So ma'idah I started judging you when you kept on calling PR a live action EVA then you brought up the 98 godzilla and i just lost all faith sorry.

Jäger: Weird Bergen
Special: Plasma Wrist

that doesn't sound too terrible... I think

We went to see PR yesterday, quite enjoyed it. But the hitting Kaiju with a ship was a tad too silly for me...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here