The Big Picture: San Diego Comic-Con 2013

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

DVS BSTrD:
Not even RoboCop can save Detroit now.

You say that as though it could have been saved in the first place.

I didn't go to the convention, but for me the highlight was Loki appearing and calling the guy at the Marvel podium a mewling quim. :3

Tenmar:
I have to take partial exception with The Flash. Bob, you are right when it comes to the trinity it is WW, Superman and Batman. But while I'm not the comic book reader I have enjoyed the animated series and the last Animated series of Justice League of the 2000's really did a bang up job of establishing The Flash as a character that really shows both sides of having super powers but also being human.

I mean that was probably one of the big shockers from the Animated series was how much of a catalyst they made The Flash and even when they had some episodes where he was the main star those were the episodes that while not having the most flash but certainly had the most depth.

Also in consideration to the whole Wonder Woman thing. Anyone remember the Wonder Woman TV series that was in production but canned? Maybe that's one big reason why because writing a Wonder Woman movie still might be out of the realm of the current writers and directors.

Bear with me a second.

Considering the info in Wonder Woman above (plus how hard it would be to get the tone and character right, and considering how bland-ish the Flash character appears to be to mainstream (sorry, its true), WBs third DC movie really should have been...

SHAZAM!

I'm serious.

(and yes, its officially Shazam now, vice Captain Marvel)

Think about it for a second. 8 or 10 year old kid, get the powers and appearance of essentially Superman. When he's Shazam, people look up to him and treat him with respect and wonder, yet, he's still basically a kid with all the innocence and wide-eyed wonder that goes with it. The potential for both humor and meta-commentary with this character is endless...

Mr. Q:
As for the reveal of Ultron being the main baddie for Avengers 2 (Thanos looks to be part of Guardians of the Galaxy), I am deeply surprised by this reveal but rather pissed about it. Mostly because its not going to involve its creator Hank Pym aka Ant Man. I know that he's getting his movie in phase 3 and people are rationalizing that having a biologist who can also create an evil A.I. is a stretch but it still burns my ass that neither Hank Pym or Janet Van Dyne are going to be a part of Avengers. Honestly, I'd let X-Men: Days of Futures Part have Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. I want my Ant Man/Giant Man and Wasp be part of Earth's Mightiest Heroes on the big screen. Is that asking for too much from Marvel?

And Wonder Woman can easily be done. Hell, Joss Whedon's given them a script in the past and since we've seen how his comic book movie debut with Avengers turned out... really DC? Skip the jet and just go with Flight, Strength, Bracers (bullet-proof metal is easy to pass off), Speed, and yeah so, the Lasso of Truth is magical, you're making a movie about a guy who can run really fast and Green Lantern's ring isn't much beyond magic itself so you're running out of excuses. There are also good actresses who can play the part, you don't need Oscar-winning actresses, just one who looks like she could actually kick your ass with a good acting capability.

THAT'S ROBOCOP!?!? THAT...THAT...THING IS ROBOCOP!?!?

That is NOT Robocop. That's Judge Dredd 2099!

That be like putting Superman in a green outfit with no S symbol...or Batman wearing Robin colors...the identity is gone.

The ironic thing...I was just talking to my wife the other day about how there hasn't been a Robocop reboot yet. I regret ever saying that now.

The Robocop from the original movies was BADASS. All you had to do was take that, put it in the 21st century with 21st century CGI...and the movie would have been BADASS. How do these studios keep fumbling these movies? Robocop is a half-human cyborg...i.e. no real emotions, no real character arc. He's essentially Darth Vader on the good side (more machine than man). Just put him in a movie kicking bad guy ass and bad ass ways and we have a movie...and keep the original Robocop you morons!

So a PG-13 Robocop with no trace of Frank Miller leaves me highly skeptical at best, especially in light of the Dredd and Total Recall reboots we recently saw.

I am glad that the Futurama franchise will survive in some form, but the fact that it managed to get killed twice is a travesty. The show was as funny as The Simpsons used to be and as edgy as Family Guy tries to be; for me, the pinnacle of prime-time animation.

I am a bit puzzled that they made such a point of teasing Thanos at the end of the first Avengers film and then not build a story around him for the second film. Granted, horror of horrors, I have not seen Iron Man 3 yet, and none of us have seen the new Thor or Cap, so we can only guess at what pieces they'll be plugging in to set up the team story, like they did with the Tesseract last time. If it's not Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet, I'm at a loss until I see what the solo movies shape up to be.

I was surprised at no apparent mention of the Fantastic Four reboot, especially with Josh "Chronicle" Trank in the director's chair. But I imagine Fox is preferring to focus on promoting the X-Men material right now, and with no casting to announce, and Michael Chiklis unlikely to reprise his role as Ben Grimm, upon reflection I guess there's not much to be interested in anyway.

I was at CC this year, and i hit none of these panels... so thanks for the summary. Im gonna go back to wondering why there were not more people at the Paul Dini spotlight

Ya know why the original Robocop looked great, other than it was designed by Rob Bottin? Robocop's armor plating is a cobalt-titanium alloy. The cobalt gives it a blue hue. Police officers generally wear blue uniforms. It was a perfect union of form and function.

so looks like Tjhanos is going to ;
a) get a big build up trhu many marvel movies, starting with GotG, culminating in a massive showdown in Avengers 3
or
b) just going to be GotG antagoinist

hoping for option a

As much as Bob rags on Thor, I much prefered the Thor film and character to Cap and his film.

Riobux:

Doesn't have to be fans of the comic to be a comic book fan, and market it like a Dreamworks film? Well, go trailer watching. I'll wait.

I've seen a Dreamworks trailer before, which is why your comment is utterly ridiculous. There's literally nothing noteworthy about any of their trailers.

Nghtgnt:
If you are going to pre-judge the Robocop film, instead of basing your opinions on how Robocop looks you might want to do some background research on the director, Jose Padilha, and more specifically actually go out and find a subtitled version of Tropa de Elite (Elite Squad). If ever there was a right person to helm a remake of this franchise, Padilha is it.

Looks are one thing, but coupled with it being PG-13 does not bode well.

You could have the best director in the world, but if they are hamstrung by a studio demanding mega profit using maximum demographic appeal, there isn't much they can do.

daibakuha:

Riobux:

Doesn't have to be fans of the comic to be a comic book fan, and market it like a Dreamworks film? Well, go trailer watching. I'll wait.

I've seen a Dreamworks trailer before, which is why your comment is utterly ridiculous. There's literally nothing noteworthy about any of their trailers.

I'm glad we both agree on the value of Dreamworks. Come here, let's bro-hug.

For goodness sake people, will you stop saying that a successful Zelda movie is impossible? It's not. The only other movie Nintendo made is Super Mario Bros, and it failed because of reasons that don't apply to Zelda. Namely that the Mario game's plot is only the bare bones of what makes a plot. People rag on the Mario movie because it was unfaithful to the source material. As a movie, it would have been worse if it actually was faithful. Zelda games have very structured plots with dense mythology and character development. It can work as a movie.

Also, if there ever is a Zelda movie, Link must talk in it.

The only reason Link is mute in the games, is that Nintendo is using a technique to make the player consider Link an extension of their own being. Since in movies that doesn't work, Link has no solid reason to be mute. Link talks in the Manga and people have no problem with that. Link talks in the old cartoons and some people like the cartoons. The people who hate the cartoons don't do so because Link talks, they do so because in the Cartoons Link is a horn-dog egotist who frequently spouts a dumb catchphrase.

undeadsuitor:
I can't wait for the dark and gritty flash movie where his family dies in front of him in order to spurn him in his quest for vengeance/"crime fighting", and then he has to kill the villain to stop him from hurting someone.

Professor Zoom. Iris West.

Wow, I wasn't aware that Simpsons would be crossing over with Futurama, and also Family Guy.
I'd be down for a Flash movie; why the heck not.

JSW:

undeadsuitor:
I can't wait for the dark and gritty flash movie where his family dies in front of him in order to spurn him in his quest for vengeance/"crime fighting", and then he has to kill the villain to stop him from hurting someone.

Professor Zoom. Iris West.

Stop giving them ideas!

About Wonder Woman: Have you seen anything from that Wonder Woman TV series they canceled at the last minute? Yeah, even they don't know what to do with their own character. So they just threw, Batman, Iron Man, and Superman at a screen and hoped it made Wonder Woman.

Anyway, cautiously optimistic for Flash. He's one of the most powerful DC heroes, so he could make a good action packed movie. Not sure who could threaten him, though. His speed makes him like a step down from Supes in that regard to me.

Robocop... No comment.

Godzilla. Honestly, I'd almost rather have a cheap Toho movie. They are awesomely stupid and fun.

As for Marvel, they had Loki onstage. Almost just because they could and they knew he would go over well. Why didn't that even get a mention, Bob?

Marvel is winning so hard, right now. And it gives me hope for Star Wars. Maybe that's wrong, but it does. Also, I figured they would hold off on the big guns for Avengers 2.

Cartoon Wars an oversimplification? Elaborate. They seemed to cover all their bases. These people are overreacting by killing people and making threats over some insults in a newspaper. Censoring those comics out of fear of the violence is letting the terrorists control us through fear (and violates free speech). What else is there?

Oh and as for it being preachy, self righteous and ego stroking; glass houses Bob, glass houses (especially on the preachy part).

Oh P.S. The image of the guy in the bear suit even isn't from cartoon wars, that was from a different episode.

You keep saying how much Hollyoowd is pandering to nerds, but it looks like it's only comic fans.

I mean they still aren't trying their hands at video games. You know you'd want to see a Bioshock movie.

When I think Justice League, Wonder women isn't as important as black green lantern.

I only watched the cartoon version of it.

kinda drunk. took a few notes on this bob.

marvel needed to make thor before captain america. let DC take a few slightly less expensive steps before they jump into a green lantern type disaster again. flash will probably not set the world on fire, but they need everyone to be established for JL to work. you know wonder woman is in the works, just be patient.

leave zelda alone. zelda is perfectly fine, just the way it is and needs no hollywood influence. for the general gamer subconscious zelda is a cornerstone, but for the mass public it is just the general shapes and sounds of video games. it will have so much executive meddling that it will bear no resemblance to what we love about the series. the story of
The Legend of Zelda" is timeless, it can be told in much better ways if not tied to a franchise.

super excited about ultron. really can't wait

DVS BSTrD:
Not even RoboCop can save Detroit now.

On the other hand, it looks like the actual setting for Robocop now... so maybe we'll get him in a different form than a movie...

chimpzy:
Ew, that new Robocop suit looks awful IMO. Like they blended together some spare Batman costumes from Nolan's movies with the helmet from Daft Punk's Guy-Manuel.

Also, PG-13? Seriously?

That was a surprise as well, considering that the Dredd reboot took the exact opposite approach.

Personally, I think Robocop could only work as an anime-style reboot, where he's moves less like those Honda androids and more like the antagonist in Terminator 3. There's just something not very threatening about a robot you can defeat by running around a corner and walking the way home...

Also, they've got to do something about that armor. It looked bad in 1995. It's hideous now.

Realitycrash:
Still no Batman Beyond?
..God DAMNIT.

(Yes, I am going to continue to bitch and moan about this. I don't give a crap about Wonder Woman or Superman or Justice League. Give me Batman Beyond).

The ultimate irony? They wouldn't have to do much writing for this. They literally could just take the episodes that deal with blight, give them a cyberpunk live version, and call it good. Hell, they could even just use the Zod spandex suit from Man of Steel, switch out the logo, add a good and paint it black with red lightlights. Use some no-name young wannabe from a cable show and find a semi-ripped old guy and you've pretty much gotten everything short of the camera work and special effects done on the cheep.

Hell, you could get Clint Eastwood to play old Bruce Wayne. How awesome would that be?

Flash getting a new movie before Wonder Woman is kinda bullshit. Like come on she's the most iconic female super hero next to I dunno, fuck who else is there as well known as her? Supergirl? pfft. Make a damn Wonder Woman movie dc god damn is it so hard.

Ultron being the bad guy in Avengers 2 seems odd, figured Thanos was gonna be set up in Guardians then carried through in to Avengers 2. Oh well that's still awesome, Ultron is a fun villain though not exactly the most original concept.

wait robocop has hands now?and looks like he is wearing a body suit. they are killing my childhood memories one at a time

TakerFoxx:

theultimateend:

I'd actually go Day 1 to see a Batman Beyond film.

For me I also want a Batman film that features Hamil as the joker. It would be an older Batman and an older Joker (since Hamil is getting older) and perhaps could be the death of Joker.

Would be fantastic.

They did that already. It's called "Return of the Joker." Sure, it was straight to video, but it's a Batman Beyond that features Mark Hamil as the Joker.

Live Action?

I'll go check I guess. The internet does exist.

Edit: no no. I mean live action.

Father Time:
You keep saying how much Hollyoowd is pandering to nerds, but it looks like it's only comic fans.

nope, they aren't even pandering to us comic fans... What they are doing is selling "comic book fan" as a lifestyle option to people who are not comic book fans.

Folks this is cultural commodification at its most insidious.

Now we've got all these non fans on youtube pages full of fans in videos like Iron MAn versus Batman screaming "HOUSE PARTY PROTOCAL" like its an actual thing.

I have a huge comic book colleciton: This makes me a comic book fan

I have a huge comic book colleciton & an encyclopediac knowledge of DC & Marvel super heroes: This makes me a comic geek

You watched a mainstream Avengers movie: This doesn't make you a comic book fan or a comic geek, it makes you someone who watched a movie.

LazyAza:
Flash getting a new movie before Wonder Woman is kinda bullshit. Like come on she's the most iconic female super hero next to I dunno, fuck who else is there as well known as her? Supergirl? pfft. Make a damn Wonder Woman movie dc god damn is it so hard.

Not going to happen. The fact is that Iconic is not a synonym for popular, well liked, or even interesting. She is iconic as a comic book character in the same way that Pamela Anderson is iconic as an actor: Well known for something external to her role in her chosen narrative story-telling medium.

I'd say that WB not making a WW movie is possibly the only good choice they've made in recent DC movie history. Now if only they'd stop trying to make DC movies full stop we could all stop having to suffer through Nolan-esque DC adaptation movies, that should have been aborted at the conceptual stage.

The fact is that while Wonder Woman is a popular character in theory, in reality she's not popular at all. People LOVE the IDEA of Wonder Woman, but the actual reality of Wonder Woman, they have no interest in it.

In fact most of the people who state they are a fan of Wonder Woman do not own a single issue of any Wonder Woman comic. Some were fans of the TV show from back in the day & as such will always be disappointed by the reality of the comics, the tv shows & the potential movies, since the character as presented in the TV show & the character in literally every other medium are nothing alike.

Dont diss flash, flash is amazing.

And godzila has A LOT to live up to now that Pacific Rim was awesome.

Ah, spiderman, the only highly liked superhero that still havent had a good real life movie. and looks like it wont.

but i agree this is a very interesting time in history to live in.

Retrograde:
That's nice. The most important part of Robocop to everyone else is the extreme bloody violence. This movie is going to bomb, hard.

really? thats what folks took out out of Robocop? "i am dissapoint"

Lightknight:
I've genuinely never understood Wonder Woman's role as one of the big three other than to be the token girl.

thats because she is the token girl. she is one of the least interesting superheros ever, and considering how many there are...
the onyl redeeming factor is the backstory, at least you get to see some tied up people.

Strazdas:

Yep. That's disappointing why exactly?

It was funny too to be sure, there definitely was more to it than violence, but when there was violence it was memorable.

You think source material like this isn't going to be abject ass as a PG13?

Retrograde:

Strazdas:

Yep. That's disappointing why exactly?

It was funny too to be sure, there definitely was more to it than violence, but when there was violence it was memorable.

You think source material like this isn't going to be abject ass as a PG13?

im not saying it should be PG13 (i hate that rating anyway), im saying that Robocop was not about violence.

Strazdas:

im not saying it should be PG13 (i hate that rating anyway), im saying that Robocop was not about violence.

You have SEEN Robocop, right? There is a man shot until he is turned to jam, and a dude that melts. When the Big Bad is blown away in the finale, he's shot like 7 times with a hand cannon and then blasted out a window, and a man grins and gives Robo a thumbs up. Murder is AWESOME, says the film unambiguously.

But if you watched Robocop and came out meditating on the nature of transhumanism, more power to you I guess.

BabySinclair:

Mr. Q:
As for the reveal of Ultron being the main baddie for Avengers 2 (Thanos looks to be part of Guardians of the Galaxy), I am deeply surprised by this reveal but rather pissed about it. Mostly because its not going to involve its creator Hank Pym aka Ant Man. I know that he's getting his movie in phase 3 and people are rationalizing that having a biologist who can also create an evil A.I. is a stretch but it still burns my ass that neither Hank Pym or Janet Van Dyne are going to be a part of Avengers. Honestly, I'd let X-Men: Days of Futures Part have Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. I want my Ant Man/Giant Man and Wasp be part of Earth's Mightiest Heroes on the big screen. Is that asking for too much from Marvel?

And Wonder Woman can easily be done. Hell, Joss Whedon's given them a script in the past and since we've seen how his comic book movie debut with Avengers turned out... really DC? Skip the jet and just go with Flight, Strength, Bracers (bullet-proof metal is easy to pass off), Speed, and yeah so, the Lasso of Truth is magical, you're making a movie about a guy who can run really fast and Green Lantern's ring isn't much beyond magic itself so you're running out of excuses. There are also good actresses who can play the part, you don't need Oscar-winning actresses, just one who looks like she could actually kick your ass with a good acting capability.

They could always position her as analogous to the Avenger's Thor- the magical one from a Greek Culture (rather than Norse) on the Team. It could be done, but Warner Bros. et al. apparently are idiots.

Retrograde:

Strazdas:

You have SEEN Robocop, right? There is a man shot until he is turned to jam, and a dude that melts. When the Big Bad is blown away in the finale, he's shot like 7 times with a hand cannon and then blasted out a window, and a man grins and gives Robo a thumbs up. Murder is AWESOME, says the film unambiguously.

But if you watched Robocop and came out meditating on the nature of transhumanism, more power to you I guess.

Yes i have and i think that jut becuase there is graphic violence it does not mean that the movie is automatically about that.

Avengers vs Terminator?
Thats something I can get behind :D

RatGouf:
I don't know how a Legend Of Zelda Movie would even work if everyone who wants to see it expects Link to be quiet. If it weren't for that we'd probably have a LoZ movie by now. We may even get Everquest & The Elder Scrolls movies before a LoZ movie since Link must be quiet.

Link doesn't need to talk, just his companion of the evening.

Ronack:

Lightknight:
It's perfectly possible that I've missed her performance in some form considering how many things she's in. I particularly liked her role in Kingdom Come. At her best, she's portrayed as a magic-based superwoman with her peripherals being mostly for looks.

There's the rub, innit. She's being screwed over by people that can't write her for shit. All they need to do for the Live Action movie is give writing duties to Gail Simone. At least she gets her.

Characters are only as good as their writers. Wonder Woman's writers have been really terrible and so her character has been one of the most boring ones I can think of. Only Aquaman beats her out for lamest Justic League character. The personality of a stuck up diplomat or a mother (at times) combined with the lamest peripherals i can think of. Don't get me wrong, green arrow has a punching glove arrow. But that's just one of many in his arsenal and is mostly a joke now. But everything she has is lame. They have to create new things (like the valkarie armor with magic sword in Kingdom Come) to make her look cool.

If you ask me, Wonder Woman needs a serious rewrite as a character if she's going to be an icon. She matches neither Superman for powers nor Batman for intelligence/planning. If she's going to be one of the big three then she needs to at least beat out Power Girl.

What's more, even if you like her backstory, it's been rewritten multiple times, moreso than several other heroes. She has been one of the most inconsistent characters of all and I'm sure that's due to her existence during equality movements but the reasons do not negate the effect.

Her, read this: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/07/wonder-woman-movie/

I mean, Hell, Wonder Woman comics started out as a thinly veiled BDSM comic. You're talking, as the article states, about a militant feminist whose outfit and peripherals are bondage gears. Even if it's not overt in today's comic, this isn't far from the surface of thought. The article even touches on Gail Simone's take as basically writing her as something else, other than wonder woman, and if you're going to do that, why use her at all?

She isn't a character that is easily used. As a Character, she honestly has no business in the big three as is. I'd like to see some good female heroes taking the role. I just don't know who else it'd be. They have to be powerful enough, fast enough, or smart enough to be there and also distinct. I know you are personally a fan of her, but she's really a niche hero that is shoehorned into the big three just as accomodation and as a mating partner for Clark.

Strazdas:

Lightknight:
I've genuinely never understood Wonder Woman's role as one of the big three other than to be the token girl.

thats because she is the token girl. she is one of the least interesting superheros ever, and considering how many there are...
the onyl redeeming factor is the backstory, at least you get to see some tied up people.

The back story? Which are you referring to? It changes in every generation.

She at least has her fans nowadays. That's more than we can say for most other female characters in the DC universe.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here