Escapist News Now: Splinter Cell: Blacklist Gameplay Preview SDCC 2013

Splinter Cell: Blacklist Gameplay Preview SDCC 2013

Escapist News Now gets the rundown on Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

Watch Video

still like to know why sams voice is totally different.
it looks nice but for some odd reason i dont want to get it. havent touched part 4 and 5 and i dont think part 6 will be on my list either.

So can I ghost it? He mentioned that some encounters are forced but you can play it non-lethally... I just fear that that ghosting through isn't really possible and instead the non-lethal way is just whistling + knockout over and over...

At one time the Splinter Cell franchise was the apex of stealth gaming. It had Thief's necessity for stealth without the restrictive first person perspective, coupled with inventive use of (at the time) modern dynamic lighting effects and an interesting pseudo-realistic world aesthetic. Add to that Michael Ironside's awesome voice acting and the Tom Clancy "near future" world of techno terrorism and espionage and you had a brand that felt unique.

With Conviction, Ubisoft ripped out nearly everything that made Splinter Cell feel like Splinter Cell in an attempt to sate the twitch gamer demographic and now with the loss of Michael Ironside the last vestige of a once great and unique series has vanished and this new direction has a major problem on it's hands; it is trying to appeal to an audience that has already seen this style of game done infinitely better in the Batman: Arkham series.

The Arkham games have a playable character whose entire design is based around doing things quietly because killing is NOT an option but is also designed to be able to flow from stealth to combat and back again due to a good combat system and contextually designed equipment; a seamless blend of puzzle and action. On the other hand Blacklist looks like you have an amoral protagonist who's only reason for not leaving a huge body count is the fact that he has a forced mechanic that dictates that you should be stealthy to earn the right to be homicidal and level designs that look laughably outdated; this is the company that gives us Assassins Creed yet we are having to rigidly jump from one graspable object to the next.

CatmanStu:
The Arkham games have a playable character whose entire design is based around doing things quietly because killing is NOT an option but is also designed to be able to flow from stealth to combat and back again due to a good combat system and contextually designed equipment; a seamless blend of puzzle and action. On the other hand Blacklist looks like you have an amoral protagonist who's only reason for not leaving a huge body count is the fact that he has a forced mechanic that dictates that you should be stealthy to earn the right to be homicidal

But that's exactly what Blacklist is doing allowing you to go seamlessly from a fluid and competent shooter to stealth gameplay when you wish just like the Batman games allow you to from a fluid and competent hack and slash to stealth gameplay. Plus, in Arkham City, you don't even need to use any stealth because the improvements to the melee combat system allow you to muscle your way through all of the game's stealth sections. You earn more points/money I believe the more you stick to one kind of playstyle so if you go the Ghost route you'll be earning as much if you were to go straight Assault. You don't have to be stealthy to earn points/money to then be homicidal.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here