Movie Trailers: 47 Ronin - Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

47 Ronin - Trailer

There may be no spoon but there is definitely a very, very sharp sword.

Watch Video

Personally, I was hoping for a more grounded experience than this. More The Last Samurai and less ... The Hobbit. Still, fuck yeah Keanu Reeves.

Why Keanu Reeves? Actually never mind. At least we get to see some big budget production based in eastern mythology for a change.

"Come on"? Seriously? Barf.

If I want a modern interpretation of the samurai genre in film, I'll stick to Takashi Miike.

EDIT: Had to look up the film to get more information. Not only is it directed by a gaijin, it's yet another Hollywood film that has Tadanobu Asano aboslutely wasting his immense talents. Funk dis shig, man.

Heh, good luck with this film being accurate to the actual historic event!
It remind me of this other Asian related film (can't remember the name but it was cgi heavy and had snake/ naga in it).
Either way, it's not my first film to watch during Winter as that is going to The Hobbit part 2.

I just dont understand how they keep letting Keanu loose on martial arts, its horrible to see. shame really as over the top as this looks it could of been some nice cheesy fun.

Wow... I had no idea the movie was going in that direction. I honestly thought it was going to be highly fictionalized yet completely grounded take on the legend of the 47 ronin. I'm finding it hard to be remotely interested in the fantasy aspect of this movie.

Wtf, that not 47 Ronin, now I think I might have lost interest. =(

Will stick to the 1941 version, if you don't mind.

A little disappointed it won;t be a more faithful adaptation... but I don't this looks ace, it wouldn't be the first time a good film come from a loose adaptation i hope for the same here, plus the mostly asian cast look top notch.

You know, I think this movie is going to be a terrible adaptation...
And Yet I can't help myself from thinking, "So Pathfinder's Jade Regent is getting a Keanu Reeves movie now?"
I will probably watch it, but from home or a cheapo theater just to steal pathfinder material.

KungFuJazzHands:

If I want a modern interpretation of the samurai genre in film, I'll stick to Takashi Miike.

Its a remake of 47 Ronin, not the Japanese version of Human Centipede and Hostel.

KungFuJazzHands:

EDIT: Had to look up the film to get more information. Not only is it directed by a gaijin, it's yet another Hollywood film that has Tadanobu Asano aboslutely wasting his immense talents. Funk dis shig, man.

"Gaijin", really? The rest of your sentence is in English but you couldn't be bothered to type "foreigner".

OP:Like another person mentioned, its a nice change to see a movie about Eastern mythology.

What the flying fuck does that have to do with the 47 Ronin? I've seen multiple versions of the story in three different languages, and even been to the actual memorial, but I have no idea what anything in that trailer was supposed to be.

The story was already a perfectly serviceable political revenge drama; why does it need to be a fantasy epic with the set-up of a Saturday morning cartoon from 20 years ago?

Helmholtz Watson:

KungFuJazzHands:

Its a remake of 47 Ronin, not the Japanese version of Human Centipede and Hostel.

Sounds like someone hasn't seen Miike's take on 13 Assassins.

So, what? Jade Empire meets The Matrix and The Last Samurai?

Colour me cautiously intrigued, but I don't see this being much more than a brainless action fest with tons of overdone CGI.

Chikamatsu Monzaemon is rolling in his grave over this.

Eh, it's a possibility I'll watch this, but really it appears to have NOTHING to do with the 47 Ronin story other than a title meant to draw attention.

A) Was that a Thragtusk?

B) Why the hell is a Thragtusk in an Asian movie?

C) Was that Keanu Reeves?

D) Why the hell is Keanu Reeves in an Asian movie?

I was sorta interested till I realized it was Keanu Reeves.

Thought #1 - Keanu Reeves is supposed to be half-Japanese now. Clearly the studios learned nothing from Lone Ranger (yeah, I know, they didn't have time).

Thought #2 - At least this one seems pretty, with some nice eastern fantasy creatures. Even if the evil woman appears to be a dragon, which is... not very Japanese stylistically... I really assumed she was going to be a kitsune.

Thought #3 (after actually looking things up) Wow, that was certainly a story which they've chosen to add a lot of magic to. I don't mind adding fantasy to real events, but they could have changed the title to not sound like the numerous historical epics of the same name.

Next thing you know, they're going to remake Ben Hur, but this time he's the son of Jupiter and the other charioteers are cyclopses.

Draconalis:
A) Was that a Thragtusk?

B) Why the hell is a Thragtusk in an Asian movie?

I think it was actually a quite large qilin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qilin

Helmholtz Watson:

KungFuJazzHands:

You're woefully unfamiliar with Takashi Miike's work if you think all he does is make shock films. The man has directed over 50 movies, at least three of them being samurai period pieces with one of those being one of the best chanbara ever made. Your loss.

"Gaijin", really? The rest of your sentence is in English but you couldn't be bothered to type "foreigner".

Aaaaand, what's your point?

Friv:

I think it was actually a quite large qilin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qilin

Huh... learn something knew every day...

I've been wrongly calling the "Kirin" the Chinese Unicorn for years... It's the Japanese Unicorn.

Qilin is the proper Chinese pronunciation.

I actually like the look of this! I couldn't care less if it's historically accurate or has that edge of 300 about it (which I also loved). Sure it doesn't appear to have bugger all to do with the real 47 Ronin story, but how many times has anime and manga twisted stuff like this? Just seems like one of those films that'll upset pretentious Japanophiles more than anyone.

This is one of those films that look horrendously cheesy (some of that dialogue made me cringe), but potentially a lot of fun. I'll probably rent a DVD or stream it off Netflix or something when it's out then, I think.

OtherSideofSky:
What the flying fuck does that have to do with the 47 Ronin? I've seen multiple versions of the story in three different languages, and even been to the actual memorial, but I have no idea what anything in that trailer was supposed to be.

The story was already a perfectly serviceable political revenge drama; why does it need to be a fantasy epic with the set-up of a Saturday morning cartoon from 20 years ago?

Because in the post-avengers modern film-going landscape, if you're going to release a film in the cinema and have it not be about something instantly recognisable to any westerner(like the upcoming Mandela movie), then you better find some way to include big ticket special effects in that shit, otherwise you're simply gonna get drowned out by the movies that do. If Seven Samurai or Rashomon had been made for 2013 audiences you can bet they'd have some shenanigans...

I gave it a dodge, figured it's be about a bunch of assassins peeling the skins off the skulls of pigs with their bare hands and then ejaculating blood into them, which would set the tone as a credit sequence before getting *real* nasty.

Audition and Ichi was a long time ago, these lads gotta keep topping themselves after all...

Am I missing out on good movie then?

Edit: Just did a bit of reading. The film opens with what is apparently, extremely sadistic torture of a sexual nature. Being a bit dishonest here aren't we? It doesn't have a violent sexual predator as it's protagonist, merely it's target.

Well that was unexpected. While I don't know the overall plot of this film, seems another case of "why call it X to fit in with X franchise/story, when really it's going to be something completely different or at best have the most perfunctory of connections"..

Hopefully it'll turn out suitably silly on not try to take itself remotely seriously, in which case it could be a bit of fun.

KungFuJazzHands:

You're woefully unfamiliar with Takashi Miike's work if you think all he does is make shock films. The man has directed over 50 movies, at least three of them being samurai period pieces with one of those being one of the best chanbara ever made. Your loss.

And at least four of them are movies so gnarly they're fucking legendary. People that are aware of Takashi Miike are FAR more likely to be familiar of things like Ichi the Killer, Audition, Gozu and Visitor Q than they are something you'd have to look up on IMDB to know about.

You know I'm right too, the guy does other stuff, it's good according to you and at least one other guy, fair enough. But don't act like his reputation isn't very well earned and that someone with such an opinion is 'woefully unfamiliar' of anything. Even when he's going for something not outright extreme, like 13 Assassins, he apparently can't help but splash in scenes of proper savage torture.

Looks like fun, I'll gladly watch it. Don't really understand why people are getting really upset by this, the other 47 Ronin movies won't just suddenly disappear when this one comes out, it won't "ruin" anything. If it's horrible and stupid like many of you seem to claim from just watching the trailer, then it will just be remembered as that really bad 47 Ronin movie, and the 1941 version will still keep its glory.
I also have to say that I don't understand all the hate for Keanu Reeves, he's not that bad of an actor.

Retrograde:

KungFuJazzHands:

And at least four of them are movies so gnarly they're fucking legendary. People that are aware of Takashi Miike are FAR more likely to be familiar of things like Ichi the Killer, Audition, Gozu and Visitor Q than they are something you'd have to look up on IMDB to know about.

You know I'm right too, the guy does other stuff, it's good according to you and at least one other guy, fair enough. But don't act like his reputation isn't very well earned and that someone with such an opinion is 'woefully unfamiliar' of anything. Even when he's going for something not outright extreme, like 13 Assassins, he apparently can't help but splash in scenes of proper savage torture.

Miike is one of the most diverse directors out there today. He makes kid-friendly films (films without a single bit of "proper savage toture", BTW) like Andromedia and The Great Yokai War, period dramas like Sabu (hey look, no sadism there either!), and comedies like Osaka Tough Guys (nope, no torture scenes). Even some of his yakuza movies are short on extreme content.

So yes, I feel comfortable calling out someone as "woefully unfamiliar" when they feel the need to typecast a talented director without doing a little homework first.

Just did a bit of reading. The film opens with what is apparently, extremely sadistic torture of a sexual nature. Being a bit dishonest here aren't we? It doesn't have a violent sexual predator as it's protagonist, merely it's target.

That's the problem: you only did a bit of reading. You've got no context with which to make a fair judgement of that particular scene. It establishes the main protagonist as a privileged sociopath who is completely disconnected from reality. That opener (which isn't included with the standard international release) is utterly effective in that it immediately establishes the character's mental state and personality.

You're missing a seriously fine film if you let that one scene turn you off of it. Just watch the international version.

KungFuJazzHands:

Miike is one of the most diverse directors out there today. He makes kid-friendly films (films without a single bit of "proper savage toture", BTW) like Andromedia and The Great Yokai War, period dramas like Sabu (hey look, no sadism there either!), and comedies like Osaka Tough Guys (nope, no torture scenes). Even some of his yakuza movies are short on extreme content.

So yes, I feel comfortable calling out someone as "woefully unfamiliar" when they feel the need to typecast a talented director without doing a little homework first.

Bit of homework? Half of dozen of his films doesn't count, no?

I'm not denying he doesn't have a talent, and when he's being paid he'll make Ace Attorney. He's a worker, western arteurs make their films and have their 'voice' and that's that. He'll elevate material that's beneath him if you pay him to.

I wouldn't argue him being called a genius to be honest, a real raw talent.

But that doesn't mean you aren't outright wrong for calling out someone for typecasting him, and I stand by that. With the singular exception of Hobo with a Shotgun, Miike is responsible for some of the straight up *NASTIEST* shit I've ever seen, and it's outright wrong to begrudge people for seeing his name on a product and thinking they're in for his characteristic way of exploring extreme sadism. He's prolific and varied, to be sure, but his 'thing' is the way he comes up with stuff that seems to be a constant battle with himself to mind fuck people as much as possible...

Jesus christ I can't stop thinking of Imprint. God damn this thread XD

You're missing a seriously fine film if you let that one scene turn you off of it. Just watch the international version.

I don't seek out the insane shit like I did ten years ago but if it was on the same level as Audition, Imprint or Ichi I know people that would've dug it up and told me all about it on principle.

My point with 13 Assassins is that someone brought it up as a specific example of one of his 'better'(read, not ultra-violent) movies. Not a comedy, not a kids film that he did... 13 Assassins. When your argument is 'the guy can do things that don't make sadists feel bad', that's not one of the better examples.

But to be fair, it seems like I probably did think it was something that it wasn't. I don't have the taste for torture stuff anymore, but a very violent but otherwise straight samurai action story? I can dig it.

Retrograde:

KungFuJazzHands:

Bit of homework? Half of dozen of his films doesn't count, no?

I'm not denying he doesn't have a talent, and when he's being paid he'll make Ace Attorney. He's a worker, western arteurs make their films and have their 'voice' and that's that. He'll elevate material that's beneath him if you pay him to.

I wouldn't argue him being called a genius to be honest, a real raw talent.

But that doesn't mean you aren't outright wrong for calling out someone for typecasting him, and I stand by that. With the singular exception of Hobo with a Shotgun, Miike is responsible for some of the straight up *NASTIEST* shit I've ever seen, and it's outright wrong to begrudge people for seeing his name on a product and thinking they're in for his characteristic way of exploring extreme sadism. He's prolific and varied, to be sure, but his 'thing' is the way he comes up with stuff that seems to be a constant battle with himself to mind fuck people as much as possible...

Sorry, but six films out of 50+ doesn't even constitute basic research. You're right though, it's understandable that people are going to judge a director on his most (in)famous work, and this is especially true of Miike considering how extreme his more publicized movies are. However, lack of knowledge in any particular subject shouldn't allow for assumptions, and filmmaking is no exception in that regard. I'm not overly familiar with Andrei Tarkovsky's body of work, but you don't see me making blanket assumptions about it based on one-time viewings of Stalker and Solaris.

Anyway, you should really check out 13 Assassins. It's fucking epic. And if you're into yakuza movies, Deadly Outlaw Rekka is a great place to start if you want a taste of what Miike can do with a more action-oriented gangster story. Plus it's got a fantastic late-60s Japanese psychedelic rock soundtrack.

If you'd like more suggestions, please let me know. I've seen over forty of Miike's projects and I'm willing to bet I could find you something that would fit your tastes.

I think I'm officially done derailing this thread for now :)

Retrograde:

OtherSideofSky:

I gave it a dodge, figured it's be about a bunch of assassins peeling the skins off the skulls of pigs with their bare hands and then ejaculating blood into them, which would set the tone as a credit sequence before getting *real* nasty.

Audition and Ichi was a long time ago, these lads gotta keep topping themselves after all...

Am I missing out on good movie then?

Edit: Just did a bit of reading. The film opens with what is apparently, extremely sadistic torture of a sexual nature. Being a bit dishonest here aren't we? It doesn't have a violent sexual predator as it's protagonist, merely it's target.

Miike actually has a lot of range. I mean, he didn't feel a need to put anything like that in Zebraman or his (incredibly faithful) adaptation of Phoenix Wright. His version of 13 Assassins is definitely violent, but mostly in the 'samurai stabbing each other' kind of way, with a bit of 'the bad guy is so evil he likes to tie peasants to the ground and shoot them with arrows' in the early parts. It's definitely a samurai movie; not at all like his crazy horror things. I liked it a lot, and I know I'm not alone in that.

I'm wondering why they needed help from a white man.
The trailer came across as "Oh white man. you're so awesome, be a hero and save us"

This is just "a chinese ghost story", with a white guy in the lead (because otherwise americans wouldn't watch it) and the name for recognition, despite the fact that it has nothing to do with the 47 samurai.

Draconalis:

D) Why the hell is Keanu Reeves in an Asian movie?

Keanu Reeves is actually quarter-Chinese, his father been half-Chinese, half-Hawaiian.

Team Hollywood:
47 Ronin - Trailer

There may be no spoon but there is definitely a very, very sharp sword.

Watch Video

*facepalm*

no.

OtherSideofSky:
snip

Sorry to disappoint mate but the Jazz Hands got your back and he and I have since had this chat. In a nutshell, while it's fair to assume you're going to get a certain something from a Miike film, not only is he capable of doing things that don't have space for that, he's actually good at it.

KungFuJazzHands:
Snip

I am also done with this nice little discussion, good form sir. And since it's Payday and I'm currently lining up a visit with a certain friend, 13 Assassins is definitely going to be on the itinerary.

OT of the actual movie we're supposed to be discussing...

This is a DVD-when-its-below-a-tenner at best.

But if they cast Ken Watanabe as the main I'd have been on that shit day 1 like the dirty Ken fanboy that I am.

I really enjoyed the tale of the 47 Ronin, but I'm not going to be seeing this. I just don't enjoy seeing white male leads needlessly pushed into asian tales. Furthermore, it just... doesn't feel like the actual story, just something they slapped together and put the title on.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here